HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
That is a big cap hit for a rookie, but of course it is a 2 way contract. Still, Slats would want to leave that space open for a potential callup anyways.

So if we sign Schultz its basically a 3.75 million dollar UFA signing.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Why? Canucks have the same hole on their right side that we do. Bieksa is their only top 4 RD. Salo is a dinosaur. I'm sure they'd like to cut his ES ice time by 2-3 minutes per.
LOL that made my day.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Elliotte Friedman is reporting Toronto and Anaheim reached a deal for Schultz but the player had no interest and wanted to test free agency which he is doing right now. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
Did this article get edited? The quote is now gone.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
That is a big cap hit for a rookie, but of course it is a 2 way contract. Still, Slats would want to leave that space open for a potential callup anyways.

So if we sign Schultz its basically a 3.75 million dollar UFA signing.
Same kind of deal you'd get if we had a top draft pick. Look at it this way: If Schultz was draft eligible this year, he probably would have gone in the top-10.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

VAN has 6 D under contract for next season. Bieksa and Tanev are RD. They want to re-sign Salo. 3 RD.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
VAN has 6 D under contract for next season. Bieksa and Tanev are RD. They want to re-sign Salo. 3 RD.
And if that competition (read: no competition) scares him off I don't want him.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Did this article get edited? The quote is now gone.
Yeah it did. The first thought was originally the one that was quoted, now it's some boring crap about the two worst franchises in the league.

Either he learned that the story he heard was BS or someone flipped out at him for printing that bit of info

Old
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Either he learned that the story he heard was BS or someone flipped out at him for printing that bit of info
I wonder who that could be....

Old
06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Burke probably flipped out. He flipped out a few weeks ago about Luke Schenn being available which is what Friedman wrote. Burke denied it. He traded the player two weeks later. LOL. Burke also has a problem with the CBC broadcasts and how the Leafs are portrayed. This guy is too much.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM
egelband

I'm bothered by all these players who just have to play in a specific town and/or with their sibling.
Just play the game. Pampered babies.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Lundsanity30

If we get schultz does he play with mcdonagh? Staal is pretty much all the way back

Old
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
I'm bothered by all these players who just have to play in a specific town and/or with their sibling.
Just play the game. Pampered babies.
Why? Don't factors like location affect where you want to work?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
If we get schultz does he play with mcdonagh? Staal is pretty much all the way back
I don't know, but it's a good problem to have.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Levitate

Does Schultz have to wait until he actually turns 22 in order to be eligible to sign a 2 year ELC, or is it just that he'll be 22 by September 15th and that's good enough to give him 2 year status?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Does it matter? He'll be playing with a #1 defenseman either way

Going to be excited if we can pick this guy up, if not, we have a chance in the FA market and have plenty of depth in the pipelines.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:55 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Does Schultz have to wait until he actually turns 22 in order to be eligible to sign a 2 year ELC, or is it just that he'll be 22 by September 15th and that's good enough to give him 2 year status?
He will be 22 by September 15th, so he must sign a 2 year ELC. Doesn't matter if he signs it on July 1st or after he turns 22.

Quote:
9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

No one mentions Detroit, however after reading this, Detroit could get him and it makes a lot of sense for Schultz. They lost Stuart and Lidstrom, which opens up 2 spots for him, and it's Detroit, they're always contenders.

Quote:
And that put a number of teams hot on his trail, among them the Detroit Red Wings.

"We've contacted his agents to express the Detroit Red Wings are interested in signing him to a contract," Detroit GM Ken Holland told MLive.com. "We think there's a tremendous opportunity in Detroit."

Schultz and Red Wings rookie defenseman Brendan Smith were teammates for one season at Wisconsin, which could give Detroit a bit of an advantage. Also, because the Wings have lost blueliners Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart this offseason, there's an NHL roster spot available for Schultz.

"We're prepared to give him the opportunity to be on our team," Holland said. "With the loss of Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart, there's a tremendous opportunity. We're trying to rebuild on the fly.

"We think he would be a good fit."

Old
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Brendan Smith is overrated because of his name. If his name were Staal, no one would care about him.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Levitate

Bottom line is there are a lot of teams that offer him a pretty good shot. Not sure there really is anyone one that stands out right now, and I'm not really sure I believe the whole "he wants to play in Canada!" narrative at this point. The guy himself hasn't said anything, it's all the various Canadian sportswriters pushing that story.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Bottom line is there are a lot of teams that offer him a pretty good shot. Not sure there really is anyone one that stands out right now, and I'm not really sure I believe the whole "he wants to play in Canada!" narrative at this point. The guy himself hasn't said anything, it's all the various Canadian sportswriters pushing that story.
Do you not believe anything unless a player says it publicly?

Bob McKenzie doesn't have a history of being a cheerleader for Canada. Why are Brooks, Strickland and Carchidi spreading this Canadian conspiracy?

Old
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Does it matter? He'll be playing with a #1 defenseman either way

Going to be excited if we can pick this guy up, if not, we have a chance in the FA market and have plenty of depth in the pipelines.
No it don't really matter. I just thought he might be more inclined to be paired with McDonagh since they are buddies.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
No one mentions Detroit, however after reading this, Detroit could get him and it makes a lot of sense for Schultz. They lost Stuart and Lidstrom, which opens up 2 spots for him, and it's Detroit, they're always contenders.
Well I'm almost assured that Suter is going there

Old
06-26-2012, 02:41 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Why? Don't factors like location affect where you want to work?
it's apples and oranges. for better or for worse, the nhl has a system in place that allows owners to divide-up the players. i say, if you want to be in the nhl, you do it on their terms.
i'm not saying it's a perfect system or that it's wrong for a guy to want to go to a specific team.
but - in the end - i think you either play by the rules or you shouldn't play at all. sure, he's not breaking the letter of the rule, but i don't feel he's with the spirit of the rules.
it's great if he ends up on the rangers, and he certainly has the right...i'm just saying i don't find it to be kosher. no biggie. just my opinion. go play with the team that drafted you.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brendan Smith has been a pro for 2 years and he has barely played in the NHL. The Wings will be big players for Suter and every veteran defenseman on July 1.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
No it don't really matter. I just thought he might be more inclined to be paired with McDonagh since they are buddies.
I was only saying "does it matter" to brag about the defensive depth this team has, haha.

I agree, I feel he should be paired with McDonagh if he signs here. Girardi should be re-united with Staal since he'll should be at 100% and playing for a full season. McDonagh may make Schultz feel a little more comfortable on the ice and having him as a defensive partner will make his transition to the NHL much easier.

Assuming Sauer is healthy and Schultz signs, we are going to have quite the defensive squad next season. DZ, Sauer, Schultz, Girardi, McDonagh and Staal. If everyone maintains the same level of play as last season and Schultz can hold his own, that group may be the best combination in the league, IMO.

Closed Thread