HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
No offense, but all that stuff about "NY spotlight" and "lucrative opportunites" to make more money off of that spotlight doesn't exactly smack of being strictly "hockey" reasons.
You mention it, you don't harp on it. This is still a business after all and to ignore that would be disingenous, but you don't harp on that.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:12 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

If he signed i'd love to see a giant mural either inside or outside msg with:

Boyle, Kreider, Hagelin, Stepan, McDonagh, Schultz

and the slogan being "The NCAA Route"

Old
06-28-2012, 12:16 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Yeah just wow him with #'s and hockey talk while all the Canadian teams do it with how they are close to home or family and friends etc. etc.

Yeah nothing like compelling sales pitches that are all about #'s and such....... yawn.

I hope the Rangers use McD and Stepan to ascertain what makes Schultz tick and do a corresponding sales pitch. Which I am sure they did.
If I'm in his shoes? I could care less about playing close to home, playing in front of Family and Friends.

I'm not playing the game for them. I'm playing the game to win. I want a situation that is going to provide me with the best opportunityt to win and contend for a long time.

The Oilers are not close to that with or without Schultz. They still have to prove that (a)the coach is the right choice, (b)the goalie is a legit #1, and (c)they have significant holes on defence and up front after their big 4.

The Canucks? Resolve the Luongo situation, Sedins are getting older and one is dealing with Post Concussion issues, Kesler is rumored to be unhappy.

Playing in your hometown is nostalgically nice, but is quite often a headache that most players will not publically admit to.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Justin Schultz presentation

The Rangers are looking for a top 4 D to complete their top 4. Schultz will get top 4 minutes in a top 4 D pairings with either McDonagh or Staal. Girardi is the other righty. Newport Sports client Girardi. Schultz will get the opportunity to reach most of his bonuses playing top 4 minutes. Schultz wants to make an impact and he will make that impact playing in New York. We are looking for a D to play the point on the PP.

Rangers management and the coaching staff like young players and play young players. Go find another team which has implemented more young players and been competitive at the same time. Not this Edmonton BS of being the worst team in the NHL and finishing last every year. Go ask Derek and Ryan about Torts. Edmonton is the among the most poorly run franchises in the NHL along with the Islanders and Columbus.

Lundqvist,Richards and Girardi should call Schultz. All of those players are Newport Sports clients. Schultz is not going to find a better team than the Rangers on his list. Torts has said the Rangers are still building their team. They aren't going to be a one trick pony. They should be very good for a while.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
If he signed i'd love to see a giant mural either inside or outside msg with:

Boyle, Kreider, Hagelin, Stepan, McDonagh, Schultz

and the slogan being "The NCAA Route"
"THE FRATERNITY"

Frat Line:
Kreider - Stepan - Hagelin
**McDonagh - Schultz**

Last edited by pld459666: 06-28-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
"THE FRATERNITY"

Frat Line:
**McDonagh - Schultz**
love it

"We Love Our Badgers"

Old
06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
"THE FRATERNITY"

Frat Line:
**McDonagh - Schultz**
haha, awesome

Old
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
pld459666

Quote:
"THE FRATERNITY"

Frat Line:
**McDonagh - Schultz**
Thinking about it, this could actually be our 2nd line as soon as this season coming.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
You mention it, you don't harp on it. This is still a business after all and to ignore that would be disingenous, but you don't harp on that.
Ah, okay. That's actually a really good idea.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
If I'm in his shoes? I could care less about playing close to home, playing in front of Family and Friends.

I'm not playing the game for them. I'm playing the game to win. I want a situation that is going to provide me with the best opportunityt to win and contend for a long time.

The Oilers are not close to that with or without Schultz. They still have to prove that (a)the coach is the right choice, (b)the goalie is a legit #1, and (c)they have significant holes on defence and up front after their big 4.

The Canucks? Resolve the Luongo situation, Sedins are getting older and one is dealing with Post Concussion issues, Kesler is rumored to be unhappy.

Playing in your hometown is nostalgically nice, but is quite often a headache that most players will not publically admit to.
Agreed about Edmonton.

I will also add, they seem to be depended on top talent falling into their laps. Where is the smart drafting in rounds 2-7?
If I were a player I would look at that. Without the 1st overall picks, they have nothing....

Old
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Thinking about it, this could actually be our 2nd line as soon as this season coming.
man gaborik's injury is going to gut our lineup. we have no depth on rw. hagelin probably has no choice but to play on that side. definitely important to at least try adding a top 6 capable guy.

schultz would make me content with losing a little o to start the season though.

i suppose we could force a kid up for a few weeks while gaborik heals.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

feel like a city that got to the 2nd round in the quest to host the olympics, be nice if we land him and he is any good

Old
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:

If it was strictly on your terms then yes Tor/Oilers/Van are not on the list but we clearly know they are in play.

So maybe there is more to it than strict hockey terms and his decision isn't just an academic excersize. It appears he is leaning towards Canadian teams and it isn't because of their winning cultures (Van is exception but not ideal based on your above examples, and Oilers recent woes).

I know all of the things you are saying might be valid and would be the way I look at it, my retort is this kid probably isn't looking at it the way you are based on some of the teams he is listening to.

Honestly, I don't think the Rangers are going to win coming and just pitching the hockey aspect. I think there is something more at play here. Again, that is my opinion and really just a best guess as an outsider.

Edit: BTW I would be happy to be proven wrong here.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
man gaborik's injury is going to gut our lineup. we have no depth on rw. hagelin probably has no choice but to play on that side. definitely important to at least try adding a top 6 capable guy.

schultz would make me content with losing a little o to start the season though.

i suppose we could force a kid up for a few weeks while gaborik heals.
I'd be shocked if they do not get another winger through UFA. I wouldn't worry about this yet until everyone signs. If anything I am thinking positive of the good things this can do for our team.

Gabby comes back in January and hits his stride by the playoffs.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:21 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
did you seriously just post that?

any kid growing up as a hockey player would be absolutely star struck meeting mark messier its an honor. jesus
Mark Messier is pretty much roundly disliked by everyone in the city of Vancouver, and most 'Nuck fans. Its not exactly a secret. It would be like us sending Mike Milbury to meet a lifelong isles fan. Assuming Schultz even is a Canucks fan, which I have no idea.

Anyhow, I don't care how great he was as a player, if someone sent Marty Brodeur to me on my death bed, I can't say I would be "star struck". It would probably just hasten my already imminent demise.

These kids are around NHL players and superstars their whole lives. I think we overestimate the importance of them being involved in the process.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Chief

The Rangers almost lost in the first round to Ottawa, let's stop making it look like we're the only team that has a shot to win the Cup. There's only a handful of teams that can't say they're building a winner with Schultz.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
If it was strictly on your terms then yes Tor/Oilers/Van are not on the list but we clearly know they are in play.

So maybe there is more to it than strict hockey terms and his decision isn't just an academic excersize. It appears he is leaning towards Canadian teams and it isn't because of their winning cultures (Van is exception but not ideal based on your above examples, and Oilers recent woes).

I know all of the things you are saying might be valid and would be the way I look at it, my retort is this kid probably isn't looking at it the way you are based on some of the teams he is listening to.

Honestly, I don't think the Rangers are going to win coming and just pitching the hockey aspect. I think there is something more at play here. Again, that is my opinion and really just a best guess as an outsider.

Edit: BTW I would be happy to be proven wrong here.
Yep. seems pretty obvious nationality is important to him.

Some of these teams lack what's been reported as to what he wants.
They seem to be in the mix because of where they're located.

There are a number of teams better or in the same situation as Ottawa, Edmonton, Toronto....why aren't they on the list?

Oh yeah, they're not in Canada.

Whatever. The Rangers will survive without him.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday

#isles are out of the Justin Schultz sweepstakes.
Also zero truth to rumors of Mark Streit going to EDM in a trade.
Expand
lol.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

If he's so dead-set on playing for a Canadian team, why'd he go to college in the U.S.? I don't get it. As I said, my guess is it comes down to the NYR and Vancouver, with an outside chance at Edmonton if he's got a real maverick personality and wants to be "the guy" there.

In terms of the opportunity from a hockey point of view and the ability to earn the most money (due to qualifying for his bonuses), I think the Rangers present by far the best situation. I think our odds are quite good. Hope I'm right.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If he's so dead-set on playing for a Canadian team, why'd he go to college in the U.S.? I don't get it.
Education

Old
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Mark Messier is pretty much roundly disliked by everyone in the city of Vancouver, and most 'Nuck fans. Its not exactly a secret. It would be like us sending Mike Milbury to meet a lifelong isles fan. Assuming Schultz even is a Canucks fan, which I have no idea.

Anyhow, I don't care how great he was as a player, if someone sent Marty Brodeur to me on my death bed, I can't say I would be "star struck". It would probably just hasten my already imminent demise.

These kids are around NHL players and superstars their whole lives. I think we overestimate the importance of them being involved in the process.
you sound ridiculous i'm sorry but you really do

i despise marty brodeur. however if he came to me and said look its great to meet you i heard you are a terrific player we'd love to have you on the nj devils. i'd be HONORED. HONORED. and mark messier is a LEGEND moreso than marty broduer.

mark messier is one of maybe 4 or 5 guys that are truely icons of the sport. gretzky messier howe picks ups the phone and calls you you are honored you don't go well this guy was on another team when i was growing up rooting for the canucks so screw him. do you know how stupid that sounds???

Old
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
Quote:

This post couldn't be more hypocritical. Vancouver the team who's won Back2Back President's trophies, who just made it to game 7 of the finals last year. Aren't close to winning/ Vancouver gives Schultz a definite chance to win just like the Rangers. FYI Sedin is 100 % healthy and even if there getting older Henrik still lead the west in points. Lastly Kesler is far from unhappy, stop buying into what the media says.

Edit-Sorry for invading, just thought that needed to be said. I like your team a lot FYI.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
you sound ridiculous i'm sorry but you really do

i despise marty brodeur. however if he came to me and said look its great to meet you i heard you are a terrific player we'd love to have you on the nj devils. i'd be HONORED. HONORED. and mark messier is a LEGEND moreso than marty broduer.

mark messier is one of maybe 4 or 5 guys that are truely icons of the sport. gretzky messier howe picks ups the phone and calls you you are honored you don't go well this guy was on another team when i was growing up rooting for the canucks so screw him. do you know how stupid that sounds???
This. I hate fatty, but I'd love to meet him. He's a legend.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
This post couldn't be more hypocritical. Vancouver the team who's won Back2Back President's trophies, who just made it to game 7 of the finals last year. Aren't close to winning/ Vancouver gives Schultz a definite chance to win just like the Rangers. FYI Sedin is 100 % healthy and even if there getting older Henrik still lead the west in points. Lastly Kesler is far from unhappy, stop buying into what the media says.

Edit-Sorry for invading, just thought that needed to be said. I like your team a lot FYI.
Vancouver or Rangers has been my pick. There has to be a good reason the Rangers seem to be the only American team on his list.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Education
Which he's now abandoning without getting a degree?

I think he's weighing the best practical opportunity (team situation & earning potential) with the NYR vs. being close to home (which I would imagine would be way more important than being across a specific border) with VAN vs. being "the guy" on defense with RNH, Hall, etc. on EDM. I see TOR involved simply because it's always a good idea to have them in a bidding war and as for OTT... I can't be certain, but they do present an intriguing hockey opportunity and I'm guessing he likes the style they play.

Closed Thread