HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
McDonagh27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...84358422601730

So basically nobody knows what is going on.
If true, this improves our chances. It almost negates the notion of a huge Canadian bias
in his decision-making process.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
CH2

Quote:
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...84358422601730

So basically nobody knows what is going on.
I think the writers are trying to get a word out of Schultz's camp, just fishing for anything at this point.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Here is a better version of Insider Trading

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip711585#clip711585

Decision no earlier than Friday night. Could drift to Saturday.
Man U.S. cable providers really need to offer a package that includes TSN.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i imagine we trade MDZ if we sign Schultz. Between Erixon and McIlrath, it doesn't seem like the Rangers would have much need for him in the future. ESPECIALLY if he is indeed in Tort's "questionable" players list. If he sticks with us, I'm sure he'll eveeeeeentually turn out good. I mean, it's not just him. Our entire team is having offense problems.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:55 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i imagine we trade MDZ if we sign Schultz. Between Erixon and McIlrath, it doesn't seem like the Rangers would have much need for him in the future. ESPECIALLY if he is indeed in Tort's "questionable" players list. If he sticks with us, I'm sure he'll eveeeeeentually turn out good. I mean, it's not just him. Our entire team is having offense problems.
Don't know that McIlrath has any thing to do with Del Zotto. Two entirely different players, and the team severely lacks their specific skill sets. Erixon seems to be in the mold of McDonagh, so if anything he is the most expendable with Schultz signing. But considering the circumstances surrounding his acquisition, I seriously doubt he is getting traded.

Getting Schultz would reduce our offseason shopping list to one reliable, steady defenseman (as far as blueline). Still think you have to operate under the assumption that Schultz is playing no higher than 3rd pairing.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

VAN was supposedly hunkered down in Ontario yesterday waiting to meet with Schultz. Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman were representing the Canucks. They did not meet with Newport today. The meetings are scheduled for today and tomorrow. There was the report in the Vancouver paper about the Canucks not willing to offer playing time assurances/guarantees whatever word you want to use.

Quote:
The Canucks brass, GM Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman, are in Toronto preparing to pitch the highly touted prospect and you can be sure part of their sell job is not promises he will play on the No. 1 power-play unit, or even assurances he'll be in Vancouver's top six to start the season.

If it was all about playing time, the Canucks wouldn't even get a call back.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...233/story.html

The Rangers and Oilers met with Schultz and his agents today. What happened to Vancouver? There was a tweet from Dan Murphy who is a reporter on the Canucks games last night about VAN having met with Schultz and then an hour and 19 minutes later McKenzie said tweeted no meetings had taken place

Quote:
‪#canucks‬ sent big group (including Gillis, Gilman, Vigneault) to Toronto in an effort to woo FA Justin Shultz. Met with young d-man today.
https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/s...26244364029952

Quote:
Justin Schultz is wrapping up two days of meetings between himself and his agents in Toronto. He has NOT met or talked to any NHL teams yet.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...45963712327680

Old
06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
MDZ put up 41 points in 77 games as a 21 year old. He put up 10 more points in 20 playoff games. Oh, and he played 22 minutes a game and was +20 for the season. What the hell more do you expect from him?

Old
06-28-2012, 07:28 PM
beastly115

Seems like a lot of propaganda coming out of Vancouver. What do they have to gain by sending out mis-information?

Old
06-28-2012, 07:35 PM
DutchShamrock

It's like the posters here: if you say it a lot and loud enough, it makes it true.

The media are fans, and with some of the Canadian markets it's appropriate to let that bleed into your journalism. It happens here too, you don't need to point it out to me. Very prevalent north of the border though.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:36 PM
coogz13

Send a message via AIM to coogz13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Seems like a lot of propaganda coming out of Vancouver. What do they have to gain by sending out mis-information?
two things:

1. readers/clicks/hits/views- this is a huge deal for Van fans right now and you'd better believe they're scouring the net for insider tips as much as we are, if not more. imagine if NY media started to leak articles speculating our chances improving- we'd eat it up.

2. maybe it's not misinformation.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Leetch66

I think the only advantage the Leafs have over us is the fact that he was drafted by Brian Burke . Does that give them the inside track ??? I hope not . I also think all the posturing is just so that they can strike the best possible deal available and getting a crack at every bonus possible .

Personally...I think it will come down to the Rangers and the Canucks...why the heck would anybody want to play in Toronto...this is not the 60's and kids today DO NOT grow up in Canada anymore wanting to play In Leaf Land regardless of what TSN wants us all to believe .

Old
06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
coogz13

Send a message via AIM to coogz13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
MDZ put up 41 points in 77 games as a 21 year old. He put up 10 more points in 20 playoff games. Oh, and he played 22 minutes a game and was +20 for the season. What the hell more do you expect from him?
i fully agree with this. it baffles me why everyone is trying to dump mdz in the scenario we obtain an unproven quantity (Schultz). we've got a really special player in this young kid and I believe he's a huge piece of this team's puzzle moving forward.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Lundsanity30

Thinking about it more, even w schultz, I'm not trading MDZ. He's gonna become a very very good offensive dman

Old
06-28-2012, 07:44 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogz13 View Post
i fully agree with this. it baffles me why everyone is trying to dump mdz in the scenario we obtain an unproven quantity (Schultz). we've got a really special player in this young kid and I believe he's a huge piece of this team's puzzle moving forward.
Teams will ask for him...because he's a bit proven. Over the likes of Erixon and McIlrath.

Also, if the Rangers are giving up a roster D-man. It will be him...

That's why he's in trade discussions.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:53 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Teams will ask for him...because he's a bit proven. Over the likes of Erixon and McIlrath.

Also, if the Rangers are giving up a roster D-man. It will be him...

That's why he's in trade discussions.
We aren't giving up a roster dman. Even if we get Schultz. Even if we sign a vet for the bottom pair. How many times does it need to be said that management wants to add to the defense? We didn't have enough depth offensively or defensively last year. Trading several roster players for 1 isn't going to improve that depth, no matter how good that 1 player is.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:09 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We aren't giving up a roster dman. Even if we get Schultz. Even if we sign a vet for the bottom pair. How many times does it need to be said that management wants to add to the defense? We didn't have enough depth offensively or defensively last year. Trading several roster players for 1 isn't going to improve that depth, no matter how good that 1 player is.
For now he's not going anywhere, but I wouldn't completely rule it out in the future.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
For now he's not going anywhere, but I wouldn't completely rule it out in the future.
Even if we don't get Schultz someone eventually is going to be the odd man out due to the sheer number of LD we have in the pipeline. Eventually one of them will most likely be moved, so you're not really going out on a limb there lol.

06-28-2012, 08:14 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Even if we don't get Schultz someone eventually is going to be the odd man out due to the sheer number of LD we have in the pipeline. Eventually one of them will most likely be moved, so you're not really going out on a limb there lol.
I know. That was my original point in the other post.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Pugs35

I'm one of the biggest MDZ fans on this board, and everyone constantly talking about trading him because a college D-man might sign here is driving me crazy.
Does anyone here remember how 90% of this board had given up on the kid last year, and assumed that Tim Erixon would just walk right in and take his job? Did we learn nothing from that?

Does no one realize that Schultz and Del Zotto are the same age?

One of them has proven he can produce points while playing solid defense in the NHL already. The other has proven the same in college. That is a big, big difference.

Schultz could someday be better than Del Zotto of course, but to just trade MDZ before were sure of what we have in Schultz (or Erixon) would be asinine. For a team that had trouble scoring, trading our most offensive defensemen make absolutely no sense. Talk about his value all you want, but assuming his production (at both ends of the ice) will be replaced by either Erixon or Schultz next year is ridiculously optimistic and nave.

If you want to talk about trading one of them at the deadline, after either or both of Erixon and Schultz have proven they can hack it in the NHL, then that is one thing, but to just bank on it at this point would be idiotic.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Claxton

Why trade Del Zotto? This team desperately needs more offense and puck movement from the back end, and we could actually have two legitimate PP D-men for the first time in a very long time.

If anything you look to package Staal for a young elite forward if Schultz lives up to his billing.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
bmw2004

My god, all this circus for someone who never proven anything yet in the NHL?! We already trading Staal who just a year ago was our best top 4 guy and Delzotto our best puck moving defenseman. Ok.....
How many people saw Schultz play only this board?

Last edited by New York RKY: 06-28-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Don't alter players names.
Old
06-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Lundsanity30

Torts wants more D. It's unlikely anyone gets moved

Old
06-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
My god, all this circus for someone who never proven anything yet in the NHL?! We already trading Staal who just a year ago was our best top 4 guy and Delzotto our best puck moving defenseman. Ok.....
How many people saw Schultz play only this board?
Exactly.. could care less whether or not we get him. This is like the Gilroy situation, and what the hell has Matt Gilroy done?

Old
06-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Lundsanity30

So its weird every other fans think he's signing somewhere else like most Ranger fans. Only Van fans seem to think he will sign with their team.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Exactly.. could care less whether or not we get him. This is like the Gilroy situation, and what the hell has Matt Gilroy done?
Schultz is more polished than Gilroy was. Every team wants schultz. Regardless, the Rangers will be fine defensively either way

Closed Thread