HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT is back (Management role)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the MacT hiring?
I like the move by management 106 43.62%
I dislike this move by management 42 17.28%
I'll wait and see before making judgement 64 26.34%
I don't really care 31 12.76%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2012, 04:31 PM
  #251
missedpicks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 57
vCash: 100
I think it's a little pre-mature to critisize this move until more details are released concerning what the day-to-day capacity MacT will be utilized in.

Best-case scenario: MacT provides a different insight into players in the organization. I think most people would agree that he is a pretty intelligent hockey person.

Worst-case scenario: Adds to the already confusing Oiler management structure.

Also, there is some benefit of showing players that if you are a good mentor and intelligent hockey player/person that there may be a job for you in the organization in the future...it does help to encourage this behaviour on the bench.

In the end it's just more money out of Katz's pocket, I don't really see to much of a downside to this.

missedpicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
  #252
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
how about taking this roster to the playoffs?

94 Ryan Smyth 1976-02-21 26 L 66 27 34 61 67 5 6 2 0 2 16
26 Todd Marchant 1973-08-12 29 L 77 20 40 60 48 13 6 0 2 2 2
22 Anson Carter To NY Rangers 1974-06-06 28 C 68 25 30 55 20 -11 -- -- -- -- --
16 Mike York 1978-01-03 24 C 71 22 29 51 10 -8 6 0 2 2 2
89 Mike Comrie 1980-09-11 21 C 69 20 31 51 90 -18 6 1 0 1 10
10 Shawn Horcoff 1978-09-17 23 C 78 12 21 33 55 10 6 3 1 4 6
18 Ethan Moreau 1975-09-22 26 L 78 14 17 31 112 -7 6 0 1 1 16
19 Marty Reasoner 1977-02-26 25 C 70 11 20 31 28 19 6 1 0 1 2
83 Ales Hemsky 1983-08-13 19 R 59 6 24 30 14 5 6 0 0 0 0
2 Eric Brewer 1979-04-17 23 D 80 8 21 29 45 -11 6 1 3 4 6
44 Janne Niinimaa To NY Islanders 1975-05-22 27 D 63 4 24 28 66 -7 -- -- -- -- --
24 Steve Staios 1973-07-28 29 R 76 5 21 26 96 13 6 0 0 0 4
28 Jason Chimera 1979-05-02 23 L 66 14 9 23 36 -2 2 0 2 2 0
7 Daniel Cleary 1978-12-18 23 L 57 4 13 17 31 5 -- -- -- -- --
34 Fernando Pisani 1976-12-27 25 R 35 8 5 13 10 9 6 1 0 1 2
27 Georges Laraque 1976-12-07 25 L 64 6 7 13 110 -4 6 1 3 4 4
21 Jason Smith 1973-11-02 28 D 68 4 8 12 64 5 6 0 0 0 19
37 Brian Swanson 1976-03-24 26 C 44 2 10 12 10 -7 -- -- -- -- --
20 Radek Dvorak From NY Rangers 1977-03-09 25 R 12 4 4 8 14 -3 4 1 0 1 0
32 Scott Ferguson 1973-01-06 29 D 78 3 5 8 120 11 5 0 0 0 8
5 Alexei Semenov 1981-04-10 21 D 46 1 6 7 58 -7 6 0 0 0 0
33 Jiri Dopita 1968-12-02 33 F 21 1 5 6 11 -4 -- -- -- -- --
15 Brad Isbister From NY Islanders 1977-05-07 25 L 13 3 2 5 9 0 6 0 1 1 12
23 Cory Cross From NY Rangers 1971-01-03 31 D 11 2 3 5 8 3 6 0 1 1 20
14 Jani Rita 1981-07-25 21 L 12 3 1 4 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
8 Ales Pisa To NY Rangers 1977-01-02 25 D 48 1 3 4 24 11 -- -- -- -- --
20
47 Marc-Andre Bergeron 1980-10-13 21 D 5 1 1 2 9 2 1 0 1 1 0
12 Josh Green To NY Rangers 1977-11-16 24 C 20 0 2 2 12 -3 -- -- -- -- --
36 Jarret Stoll 1982-06-24 20 C 4 0 1 1 0 -3 -- -- -- -- --
30 Jussi Markkanen 1975-05-08 27 G 22 0 1 1 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
23 Bobby Allen 1978-11-14 23 D 1 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
55 Alex Henry To Washington 1979-10-18 22 D 3 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- --
29 Kari Haakana 1973-11-08 28 D 13 0 0 0 4 -2 -- -- -- -- --
35 Tommy Salo

that's a hell of a feat taking this roster to the playoffs before most of these players had established themselves in the NHL, save for a few. they were essentially a one line team, with a whole bunch of 3rd liners and 5th and 6th defenseman filling out the roster.

remember when cleary was terrible? to this day he credits mact with turning him into to one of the best 3rd line players in the NHL.

the one season mact actually had a talented roster, he took the team to within 1 win of the stanley cup. many of you blame mact for the mediocrity of the team that surrounded his coaching tenure, when in fact he took below average NHL players and turned them into a competitive team on a nightly basis, and in fact, even made the playoffs a few years with teams that had no business being anywhere near the post-season. to me, that is the sign of a good coach. he had just run his course in edmonton on the coaching side, and i for one am glad he's back with the organization.
lol no.

That one season we made the playoffs because van lossed. Dont give him credit for Pronger and Roli, that was the reason we made the finals not him.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:43 PM
  #253
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Mike Milbury has been involved in hockey for over 40 years, I suppose you'd have no problem with hiring him?

Simply being an ex-player does not make you qualified to be a coach or GM at the NHL level. Being an ex-coach does not make you qualified to occupy a senior management position at the NHL level. Having a business degree does not make you qualified to make player related decisions. I rather doubt scouting and player development was covered in that course at Queens.

MacT is a former coach of highly questionable repute. In spite of this, he has received a promotion after taking a hiatus on the TSN panel, where he advocated Shawn Horcoff for the 2010 Canadian Olympic team I might add.

The only thing we know is that MacT is now working with Oiler management. We don't know what his role is going to be. We don't even really know if he'll be good or bad in whatever role he is given. So as I've said already, I just don't understand where the whining is coming from.


Lowe felt he gave MacT a roster capable of making the playoffs. MacT failed to do so repeatedly. Either he's a poor coach, or Lowe's a poor GM, take your pick. So why are both employed by the team in any capacity? Hey, why not let Lowe go back behind the bench? Same damn thing as promoting MacT.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that the expectations of fans of this team are far, far below what they were even just a few years ago. Lowe, MacT, and Tambo have run this team into the sewer in various capacities over the last five years. Yet a great many have no problem with the three of them being assembled once again to captain this ship going forward. Astonishing to me that any organization would run itself in such a manner, but looks like I'm in the minority.
I've already addressed Milbury, read the thread for response to that.

And what Lowe felt is beside the point. I'm not going off topic and discussing Lowe's successes and failures as a GM in a MacTavish thread. You're grasping at any reason you have to piss and moan. Have fun with that. I'll prefer to wait and see what happens with MacT in this type of position before I call for his head.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
  #254
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
how about taking this roster to the playoffs?

94 Ryan Smyth 1976-02-21 26 L 66 27 34 61 67 5 6 2 0 2 16
26 Todd Marchant 1973-08-12 29 L 77 20 40 60 48 13 6 0 2 2 2
22 Anson Carter To NY Rangers 1974-06-06 28 C 68 25 30 55 20 -11 -- -- -- -- --
16 Mike York 1978-01-03 24 C 71 22 29 51 10 -8 6 0 2 2 2
89 Mike Comrie 1980-09-11 21 C 69 20 31 51 90 -18 6 1 0 1 10
10 Shawn Horcoff 1978-09-17 23 C 78 12 21 33 55 10 6 3 1 4 6
18 Ethan Moreau 1975-09-22 26 L 78 14 17 31 112 -7 6 0 1 1 16
19 Marty Reasoner 1977-02-26 25 C 70 11 20 31 28 19 6 1 0 1 2
83 Ales Hemsky 1983-08-13 19 R 59 6 24 30 14 5 6 0 0 0 0
2 Eric Brewer 1979-04-17 23 D 80 8 21 29 45 -11 6 1 3 4 6
44 Janne Niinimaa To NY Islanders 1975-05-22 27 D 63 4 24 28 66 -7 -- -- -- -- --
24 Steve Staios 1973-07-28 29 R 76 5 21 26 96 13 6 0 0 0 4
28 Jason Chimera 1979-05-02 23 L 66 14 9 23 36 -2 2 0 2 2 0
7 Daniel Cleary 1978-12-18 23 L 57 4 13 17 31 5 -- -- -- -- --
34 Fernando Pisani 1976-12-27 25 R 35 8 5 13 10 9 6 1 0 1 2
27 Georges Laraque 1976-12-07 25 L 64 6 7 13 110 -4 6 1 3 4 4
21 Jason Smith 1973-11-02 28 D 68 4 8 12 64 5 6 0 0 0 19
37 Brian Swanson 1976-03-24 26 C 44 2 10 12 10 -7 -- -- -- -- --
20 Radek Dvorak From NY Rangers 1977-03-09 25 R 12 4 4 8 14 -3 4 1 0 1 0
32 Scott Ferguson 1973-01-06 29 D 78 3 5 8 120 11 5 0 0 0 8
5 Alexei Semenov 1981-04-10 21 D 46 1 6 7 58 -7 6 0 0 0 0
33 Jiri Dopita 1968-12-02 33 F 21 1 5 6 11 -4 -- -- -- -- --
15 Brad Isbister From NY Islanders 1977-05-07 25 L 13 3 2 5 9 0 6 0 1 1 12
23 Cory Cross From NY Rangers 1971-01-03 31 D 11 2 3 5 8 3 6 0 1 1 20
14 Jani Rita 1981-07-25 21 L 12 3 1 4 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
8 Ales Pisa To NY Rangers 1977-01-02 25 D 48 1 3 4 24 11 -- -- -- -- --
20
47 Marc-Andre Bergeron 1980-10-13 21 D 5 1 1 2 9 2 1 0 1 1 0
12 Josh Green To NY Rangers 1977-11-16 24 C 20 0 2 2 12 -3 -- -- -- -- --
36 Jarret Stoll 1982-06-24 20 C 4 0 1 1 0 -3 -- -- -- -- --
30 Jussi Markkanen 1975-05-08 27 G 22 0 1 1 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
23 Bobby Allen 1978-11-14 23 D 1 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
55 Alex Henry To Washington 1979-10-18 22 D 3 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- --
29 Kari Haakana 1973-11-08 28 D 13 0 0 0 4 -2 -- -- -- -- --
35 Tommy Salo

that's a hell of a feat taking this roster to the playoffs before most of these players had established themselves in the NHL, save for a few. they were essentially a one line team, with a whole bunch of 3rd liners and 5th and 6th defenseman filling out the roster.

remember when cleary was terrible? to this day he credits mact with turning him into to one of the best 3rd line players in the NHL.

the one season mact actually had a talented roster, he took the team to within 1 win of the stanley cup. many of you blame mact for the mediocrity of the team that surrounded his coaching tenure, when in fact he took below average NHL players and turned them into a competitive team on a nightly basis, and in fact, even made the playoffs a few years with teams that had no business being anywhere near the post-season. to me, that is the sign of a good coach. he had just run his course in edmonton on the coaching side, and i for one am glad he's back with the organization.
I for one like MacT, I think it is an old boys club hire, but to be perfectly honest I have always viewed as Mact as a player and a coach as a great mind for the game. Its like how I always felt Lowe was a great coach, adequate GM (nothing spectacular) MacT actually is probably more qualified in this role he is now.

This organization gives me a laugh for all the tags of assistants ect, It is the evolution of the game, and building of management. However, I am old school and think one GM one coach, and assistant coaches, and one president of hockey operations, not all the v.p of hockey operations, assistant gm's ect.

As a player I would view it as this team lacks creativity; not vision. Usually scouting in the amateur and professional parts is the visionary part, and builds any team. Even your most proactive GM's (Ken Holland, Peter Charelli, ect) have the scouting at both ranks building the team, trades don't go down as much as they use to and most trades I have seen in the past few years were not the trades of old where someone had the edge in taking another g.m. to town.

Whats this all mean: Essentially if your scouting is doing your job, and you have a great coach, the NHL moves so fast you don't have to build spectacular teams or dynastys get all your ducks in a row, eggs in a basket (whatever cliche expression you wish to use) and a few successful years and it buys you a lifetime pass.

The only thing with the Oilers is they give the lifetime pass before anyone proves anything.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
  #255
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
lol no.

That one season we made the playoffs because van lossed. Dont give him credit for Pronger and Roli, that was the reason we made the finals not him.
The reason we made the finals is that the entire team bought into MacTavish's system and was playing on all cylinders. Having one of the top two defensemen in the world certainly helped, as did having Roli go hot. Not to mention career plugs like Pisani, Torres, etc playing way above their level. But I'm sure coaching had nothing to do with that either.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:47 PM
  #256
Aequitas
Registered User
 
Aequitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fort McMurray
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
lol no.

That one season we made the playoffs because van lossed. Dont give him credit for Pronger and Roli, that was the reason we made the finals not him.
I love how people like you say its bad coaching when team sucks but coach gets no credit when team is good. And last time I checked Edmonton also won games to get in over vancouver.

Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:48 PM
  #257
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
This whole old boys club, what exactly is it? What did Stu have to do with the glory boys, Krueger, Nelson, Rick Olzyck? Sillinger?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
  #258
blackwater
Registered User
 
blackwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 964
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
lol no.

That one season we made the playoffs because van lossed. Dont give him credit for Pronger and Roli, that was the reason we made the finals not him.
what do mean no?

you've been saying he's a terrible coach, but you're not backing it up with anything other than MACT SUCKS!!!!.

i'm pointing out that the ONE season mactavish actually had what would be called a contending roster (which many coaches have every year and don't win, or even contend for that matter) he was 2 goals away from winning the cup. his mediocre coaching record is more an indication of brutal rosters that were assembled for him, that he somehow turned into competitive teams on a yearly basis. which in itself is impressive.

but don't let facts get in the way of your baseless opinion.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
  #259
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This whole old boys club, what exactly is it? What did Stu have to do with the glory boys, Krueger, Nelson, Rick Olzyck? Sillinger?
Tambellini?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
  #260
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I've already addressed Milbury, read the thread for response to that.

And what Lowe felt is beside the point. I'm not going off topic and discussing Lowe's successes and failures as a GM in a MacTavish thread. You're grasping at any reason you have to piss and moan. Have fun with that. I'll prefer to wait and see what happens with MacT in this type of position before I call for his head.
The organization choosing to promote a man they fired three years ago (who was unable to land an NHL job since) is just grasping for a reason to piss and moan? Why not bring in somebody with a track record of success in management at the NHL (or even AHL) level for this position? Why MacT? Surely he wasn't the only possible choice for VP of hockey ops.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
  #261
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
Terrible record as oilers coach
Get fired by oilers
Spend a couple seasons in exile with no NHL teams hiring you
Get pitty hired to coach minor team
Get hired back to oilers and promoted.



what a ****ing joke.
Didn't have terrible record with oilers.

Does get fired.

Had something, I think, called CANCER.

Yeah, pity was the reason why he was hired.

Was hired based on past experience and i dunno, a masters degree.

Yeah, what a ****ing joke indeed.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
  #262
WaitingForUser
Registered User
 
WaitingForUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If you honestly think Nashville and Phoenix have as poor of teams as we have had every year since '06, I don't know what to tell you. Nashville is 1 or 2 pieces from being a cup contender. Phoenix made the conference finals with a team that is similar to what they have had the past few years.
No but has either team had an (all star) roster to work with. Nashville has had a very mediocre team since they joined the league unitl recently and Phoenix rode a hot goalie and a young stud D to the conf final. My point is these teams are two examples of good coaching and over achieving players in recent memory.
almost everyone was picking PHX to finnish bottom 5 last summer. Take away Weber and Suter from Nash and where does it leave them? For years Nashville has been around the 6,7,8 spot on coaching alone. Do I think our TEAM has been worse the last 6 years? Yes absolutely. Do I believe the Pred and Coyotes are powerhouse teams? Not for a second.

WaitingForUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:20 PM
  #263
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
Terrible record as oilers coach
Get fired by oilers
Spend a couple seasons in exile with no NHL teams hiring you
Get pitty hired to coach minor team
Get hired back to oilers and promoted.



what a ****ing joke.
This is such an uninformed comment, it's embarrassing.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
  #264
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,665
vCash: 500
I don't think he's back as a safety net for the coaching. He said himself he didn't really want to revisit that here, and coaches are one of the most replacable positions in the NHL.

I suspect he's the safety net for the GM position though

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
  #265
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This whole old boys club, what exactly is it? What did Stu have to do with the glory boys, Krueger, Nelson, Rick Olzyck? Sillinger?
Agreed. I wonder if Wings fans would be this irate if Stevie Y was hired on in some capacity with Detroit after he retired.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  #266
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I don't think he's back as a safety net for the coaching. He said himself he didn't really want to revisit that here, and coaches are one of the most replacable positions in the NHL.

I suspect he's the safety net for the GM position though
Agreed, he's more then likely a Katz hire to provide more insight for and pressure on Tambellini.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
  #267
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Agreed. I wonder if Wings fans would be this irate if Stevie Y was hired on in some capacity with Detroit after he retired.
If Yzerman, with Lidstrom and Shanahan as his assistants, and Fedorov as the GM, coached the team to several missed playoffs in a row and was fired, only to be brought back as a VP three years later, after Fedorov had been promoted to team president, then yes I suspect Red Wing fans would be annoyed.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
  #268
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,092
vCash: 50
Betcha if Stevie Y was hired for the same position, people would be going GAga and heads over heals with raptureous joy and big tears in their eyes.

But that is besides the point I guess, because it is pretty obvious why some peopleare so against this hiring.

It's simple really, there are some posters here who wouldn't hire Mactavish to clean the dog **** out of their backyard.

There are some very unrealistic and negative ideas being bounced around.

EDIT: Sounds like Serious Business is on the same wavelength as I am regarding Stevie Y

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
  #269
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
If Yzerman, with Lidstrom and Shanahan as his assistants, and Fedorov as the GM, coached the team to several missed playoffs in a row and was fired, only to be brought back as a VP three years later, after Fedorov had been promoted to team president, then yes I suspect Red Wing fans would be annoyed.
Why?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:41 PM
  #270
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
I love how people like you say its bad coaching when team sucks but coach gets no credit when team is good. And last time I checked Edmonton also won games to get in over vancouver.
Yea that great coaching got us 8th place, but wait that wasn't his fault?? oh i get it when we do good its all him

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
  #271
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
what do mean no?

you've been saying he's a terrible coach, but you're not backing it up with anything other than MACT SUCKS!!!!.

i'm pointing out that the ONE season mactavish actually had what would be called a contending roster (which many coaches have every year and don't win, or even contend for that matter) he was 2 goals away from winning the cup. his mediocre coaching record is more an indication of brutal rosters that were assembled for him, that he somehow turned into competitive teams on a yearly basis. which in itself is impressive.

but don't let facts get in the way of your baseless opinion.
What facts? that your "objective" opinion of what a "competitive" roster is a fact?

The oilers sucked under his regime, if it wasn't for that one cup run he would most likely be remembered as the worst coach in oilers history but don't let that one thing cloud your judgement

Its easy for you to blame the team yet MacT gets a pass? give me a ****ing break, look at phoenix of all teams, that team is a joke yet is competitive.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  #272
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
lol no.

That one season we made the playoffs because van lossed. Dont give him credit for Pronger and Roli, that was the reason we made the finals not him.
Not entirely true. Jussi Mark. came in the SCF and went 3-3 which tells you the team in front of the goalie was playing very well.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  #273
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
This is such an uninformed comment, it's embarrassing.
oh im sorry, i guess all those interviews he went to didn't happen right? try again.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
  #274
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,627
vCash: 500
Mac T comes in to put pressure on Tambo and they still haven't told us Tambo's term, have they?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
  #275
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
As much as I was upset over MacT's last couple coaching years here in Edmonton.. he's still a good hockey mind. That being said.. I soon realized that the Mac got the best out of his players for what he had to work with. He is an intelligent hockey man and I don't see a problem with this move.

Welcome back MacT!



Last edited by Vagabond: 06-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.