HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT is back (Management role)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the MacT hiring?
I like the move by management 106 43.62%
I dislike this move by management 42 17.28%
I'll wait and see before making judgement 64 26.34%
I don't really care 31 12.76%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Timo

vCash: 500
He's a damn smart hockey guy.

I'm glad he's not back as our coach, but I am glad to have his expertise in our organization.

Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm surprised some many are having SUCH a pink panty meltdown over this.

The reality is Mac-T is being brought in as over sight for Tambellini. Do most of you really hate him more then you hate the created idea that Tambellini has no oversight in his position?
Yeah we want Lowe and MacT, two people who lead the oilers in some of the darkest most unproductive times in franchise history to be pulling the strings.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I hear Rob Schremp is a UFA
too soon

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Kyle McMahon

I love all this "MacT is a brilliant hockey mind" stuff in here. Umm....based on what exactly? Obviously 29 other teams weren't so convinced.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
poetryingasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I don't see why this is a bad move by the Oilers. Sure, he coached here before but he's actually a great hockey mind unlike Lowe...
I agree with most of your comment except the bolded part. Both men have very good hockey minds and I think they will do really well in these positions.

On a side note: MacT has a masters/degree in business. Does this help him in his new position?

poetryingasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post

I'm glad he's not back as our coach, but I am glad to have his expertise in our organization.
He's a smart systems guy, I refuse to say he is a smart hockey guy when he had Toby Pederson on the pp point for 20 straight power plays with no goals. Or that he had Penners ass firmly stapled to the bench in a year when he was actually being productive.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
He got cancer and was out of the game for 2 or 3 years, may have changed things about him, or teams didn't like the break. As for medoicity, it had nothing to do with coaching it was the players, The one year we got good players went went to the final
More like, we BARELY limped our way into the playoffs with all those same players. Then it just so happened that our key players got really hot (Roli, Pronger, Hemsky, Horcs) at the same time at the right time. Oh, and Manny Legace sucks, and defeating him and the Wings was a huge boost to the teams' confidence. It had very little to do with coaching. If the coaching was all that great, we wouldn't have struggled so badly to get into the playoffs in the first place. We nearly won the SC cup inspite of him. Time to just face it. The team basically sucked at every other time with him behind the bench except that run. But, yeah, I guess he just 'decided' to be a genius coach for those couple of months in that SC run...that makes total logical sense...

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I'm totally on board with this. Mactavish knows what it takes to win, and he's a smart guy. Just because he coached a sad sack Oiler team does not mean he has no clue what he is/was doing. Hopfully he'll have a hand in picking up vets to help the kids. I think that may be a strong point of his.

And he has awesome interviews!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

Wasn't this Pat Quinn's position?
WHERE IS PAT QUINN?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Temaire

This is a debacle of monumental proportions.

Temaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
Wasn't this Pat Quinn's position?
WHERE IS PAT QUINN?
quinn was senior hockey advisor i think
and i think he left last year

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
poetryingasoline

For Petes sakes! This is not a debacle, he is just upper management!

Who would you rather have?

poetryingasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
MacTavish didn't get fired for your normal reasons(not showing up, stealing, ect). I believe they let him go because he was burnt out and frustrated with the crap roster he was constantly dealing with. He's a very intelligent hockey person that is familiar with the operations of the company. You have no idea what is role even is.

Kruegar could only control so much. He was in charge of special teams and made very significant improvements there(3rd PP/14th PK). Should we clear out our entire roster because they were part of a cellar dwellar?
I can't think of any organization that would fire somebody especially somebody who played a prominent role in the downfall of the franchise and bring them back a short time later in any role and not only did they do that with MacT now but Lowe previously. It's nonsensical on every level and also for those of you who really want the Oilers to draft Yakupov (myslef included) this is even more evidence IMO, that the Oilers are going to take Murray at 1. I can't see MacT wanting Yakupov over Murray.

As for Krueger, for 2 seasons, he was the main assistant on a coaching staff that led this team to a 30th and 29th place finish. Sure, the PP improved under him although most of that had to do with RNH and a huge improvement from Eberle but he was still a main cog in the fail engine that was the Oilers coaching staff over the last few seasons and yes, he has a pretty solid overseas resume but the European game is completely different than the North American game so color me skeptical.
I'll be willing to give him a chance if he is named HC but it just rubs me the wrong way that all these guys who were a big part of mediocrity and failure get promoted, it sets a bad precedent in regards to accountability.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-funk View Post
quinn was senior hockey advisor i think
and i think he left last year
quinn left us??

We are quinnless and winless!!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Yeah we want Lowe and MacT, two people who lead the oilers in some of the darkest most unproductive times in franchise history to be pulling the strings.
True, nothing negativity all the way around.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I love all this "MacT is a brilliant hockey mind" stuff in here. Umm....based on what exactly? Obviously 29 other teams weren't so convinced.
People thought he was pretty smart in the summer of 2006:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incom...rticle1100824/

I agree that he made some bad personnel decisions subsequent to the Cup run but to be fair to him, he wasn't given a lot to work with by management.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:12 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
More like, we BARELY limped our way into the playoffs with all those same players. Then it just so happened that our key players got really hot (Roli, Pronger, Hemsky, Horcs) at the same time at the right time. Oh, and Manny Legace sucks, and defeating him and the Wings was a huge boost to the teams' confidence. It had very little to do with coaching. If the coaching was all that great, we wouldn't have struggled so badly to get into the playoffs in the first place. We nearly won the SC cup inspite of him. Time to just face it. The team basically sucked at every other time with him behind the bench except that run. But, yeah, I guess he just 'decided' to be a genius coach for those couple of months in that SC run...that makes total logical sense...
I will admit that I did not watch hockey during that time. However, just going on nhl.com, the stats for that year don't look so horrible. The team was first in Shots Against and Markkanen and Conklin both had a save percentage of .88. Once they traded for Roloson, they were above .500 the rest of the season.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
People thought he was pretty smart in the summer of 2006:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incom...rticle1100824/

I agree that he made some bad personnel decisions subsequent to the Cup run but to be fair to him, he wasn't given a lot to work with by management.
If the Globe and Mail thinks he's a great hockey mind, then hopefully they pressure the Leafs into bringing him in to their fold.

The fact is, MacT has done nothing to prove he's a great hockey mind, unless simply maintaining a coaching position despite nearly a decade of mediocrity is all it takes to qualify you. Are Paul Maurice and Terry Murray great hockey minds as well? Lets bring them in too.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:13 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
they had to bring in a brain to replace renneys imput. as you all can see from oil change renney was the one who wanted belanger, among other moves.. and tambo listened, unfortunately. all bad moves. now he has someone he can listen to officially who is higher up than him in the chain without looking stupid. this is a great move.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:16 PM
MasterOfDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post

x2

This was a good move by the Oilers IMO. You could always tell that he still loved the organization, even when he was an analyst for TSN and the Oilers would come up, you could see in his eyes and hear in his voice how much he loves this team. His experience will be vital moving forward!

MasterOfDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm surprised some many are having SUCH a pink panty meltdown over this.

The reality is Mac-T is being brought in as over sight for Tambellini. Do most of you really hate him more then you hate the created idea that Tambellini has no oversight in his position?
I think the issue is the new is the old and also the fact that he is now above the person who fired him 3 years ago. I don't know any business that carries itself in this manner other than the Oilers.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

How can you not like this guy in Management?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
If the Globe and Mail thinks he's a great hockey mind, then hopefully they pressure the Leafs into bringing him in to their fold.

The fact is, MacT has done nothing to prove he's a great hockey mind, unless simply maintaining a coaching position despite nearly a decade of mediocrity is all it takes to qualify you. Are Paul Maurice and Terry Murray great hockey minds as well? Lets bring them in too.
mact was one of the greatest defensive forwards in the game while he played, not even including coaching, as his 4 cup rings might suggest, there is your proof of being a great hockey mind.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
You're spot on.
In what world does a GM report to a VP?

Not spot on... just more inventing fiction to complain about.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
they had to bring in a brain to replace renneys imput. as you all can see from oil change renney was the one who wanted belanger, among other moves.. and tambo listened, unfortunately. all bad moves. now he has someone he can listen to officially who is higher up than him in the chain without looking stupid. this is a great move.
Lowe is already higher than him, not sure where you're going with this.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote