HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes to Sabres Broadcasting- Ray Color, Neale Studio, Duff full time, Sly Radio

Old
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
Jack-ed up!

vCash: 500
Clarification r.e. Rayzor:

Quote:
Sabres clarify: Rob Ray to stay at ice level for home games and likely will work from booth on road. Jeanneret will do booth solo at home.
https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/sta...22201687425027

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

For those who mentioned this earlier in the thread, here's an answer:

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl
Sabres clarify: Rob Ray to stay at ice level for home games and likely will work from booth on road. Jeanneret will do booth solo at home.

Edit: sniped by Taro

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:39 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
I'm not sure I understand the premise of having one guy in the booth.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Afino
The Juice

You know I'm fine with RJ up there by himself. No one to tell him to stop drinking

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Tanks4daMemories
good 2b a tankster

vCash: 50
Slight clarification on Rays role:

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

Sorry, somehow missed that this was posted already.

Tanks4daMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

I wish Duff was in the booth with Rick. I also see that the new Sabres radio show is every day from 10-12 on WGR. Hopefully that means I don't have to listen to that ass-hat Colin Cowherd ever again.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
They did for a bunch of playoff games where Pierre was the color guy and was at ice level. It definitely is strange for local coverage to do this though.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I wish Duff was in the booth with Rick. I also see that the new Sabres radio show is every day from 10-12 on WGR. Hopefully that means I don't have to listen to that ass-hat Colin Cowherd ever again.
Correct, Cowherd is done after this week on WGR

Old
06-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Hopefully, they've thought out their roster moves as thoroughly (and as well) as they appear to have considered their new broadcast squad.
If nothing else, the fan responses that the Sabres gave to that survey the team put out about the broadcast were clearly listened to and respected by the Sabres - which is a very encouraging, promising thing. As I recall at the time when the survey results were reported, almost everyone wanted to diminish Neale's and Sylvester's roles while increasing Duff's - and the team acted accordingly.

Not only is that deeply satisfying but that is a HUGE departure from the days of Quinn, when the opinions of the fans didn't mean a hill of beans to the Sabres.

Quote:
I hate this. Ray is awful.

Duff should have had that job handed to him on a silver platter with a big fat bonus. I guess his credibility isn't as good as Ray's, though.
A few years ago, Ray was an incoherent babbler who just spouted off the usual cliches that ex-players use - he didn't offer anything insightful at all. While he's not a polished analyst of the caliber that Craig Simpson, Garry Galley, Daryl Reaugh or Keith Jones are, I think Ray will be much better alongside RJ, who he's openly acknowledged as someone who's taught him everything he knows about the broadcasting gig.

Quote:
Less Sylvester/Neale is nice. Any word on Roby?
My interpretation from the TBN blog by Vogl is that Neale and Roby will be teamed up during intermissions for some commentary. I think both will be eventually phased out since neither really contributes to the content of the broadcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Where does it say that? Not that I don't believe you but Dunleavy's name isn't mentioned in the article.
If Dunleavy is indeed the sub for all of the games that RJ doesn't call, I'll be ecstatic because that was another suggestion that I and many others lobbied for.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
You know I'm fine with RJ up there by himself.
Two of the best PxP men in the game IMO have been handling the action solo without a sidekick for years on the radio - Chuck Kaiton (HFD / CAR) and in recent years, Mike Lange (PIT). I think it will free up RJ to add more thoughtful commentary during breaks in the action, rather than defer to storytelling time that Neale and Lorentz used to do.

Quote:
I wish Duff was in the booth with Rick.
I sure did - but I wonder if maybe the Sabres offered the chance to do so and Duff declined. Many fans wondered if he prefers the hosting role he's done with NHLN and MSG - but I would love to see him get a tryout alongside RJ.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
CaptPantalones

Dan Dunleavy is the radio voice of the Leafs starting last season

So he will not be the sub broadcaster

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:50 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post

Ray replaces Neale as color guy
Cool, we now have the least knowledgeable color guy in the league. Woo!

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If nothing else, the fan responses that the Sabres gave to that survey the team put out about the broadcast were clearly listened to and respected by the Sabres - which is a very encouraging, promising thing. As I recall at the time when the survey results were reported, almost everyone wanted to diminish Neale's and Sylvester's roles while increasing Duff's - and the team acted accordingly.

Not only is that deeply satisfying but that is a HUGE departure from the days of Quinn, when the opinions of the fans didn't mean a hill of beans to the Sabres.

A few years ago, Ray was an incoherent babbler who just spouted off the usual cliches that ex-players use - he didn't offer anything insightful at all. While he's not a polished analyst of the caliber that Craig Simpson, Garry Galley, Daryl Reaugh or Keith Jones are, I think Ray will be much better alongside RJ, who he's openly acknowledged as someone who's taught him everything he knows about the broadcasting gig.

My interpretation from the TBN blog by Vogl is that Neale and Roby will be teamed up during intermissions for some commentary. I think both will be eventually phased out since neither really contributes to the content of the broadcast.

If Dunleavy is indeed the sub for all of the games that RJ doesn't call, I'll be ecstatic because that was another suggestion that I and many others lobbied for.

Two of the best PxP men in the game IMO have been handling the action solo without a sidekick for years on the radio - Chuck Kaiton (HFD / CAR) and in recent years, Mike Lange (PIT). I think it will free up RJ to add more thoughtful commentary during breaks in the action, rather than defer to storytelling time that Neale and Lorentz used to do.

I sure did - but I wonder if maybe the Sabres offered the chance to do so and Duff declined. Many fans wondered if he prefers the hosting role he's done with NHLN and MSG - but I would love to see him get a tryout alongside RJ.
Did you just compliment Lange? And with a very good compliment at that?

/barf.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
And almost entirely for the better:
  • Kevin Sylvester will be leaving his TV broadcast duties to host a new radio-only show, called "Sabres Hockey Hotline" (spiritual successor to a certain Empire show?) on WGR, starting next Monday.
  • Awesome, more hockey programming ftw
  • Brian Duff will now be the full-time studio host, taking Sylvester's place.
  • Perfect role for him
  • Games in the NYC area will no longer use the Rangers/Islanders/Devils feeds.
  • About damn time!
  • Rob Ray will replace Harry Neale as color commentator alongside both RJ and Dunleavy.
  • Not the best move as I don't see Ray keeping up with Rick but I always like to see the player alumni on the broadcast
  • Neale, as well as Danny Gare and Mike Robitaille, will be seen across all of the Sabres' media outlets.
  • Again, I always like to see the player alumni on the broadcast

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634396
Overall they are listening. I approve

Last edited by minuteater: 06-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.
minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

As noted above, chuck kayton has done both roles fine for Carolina for years. His pacing is the same as RJ.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a welcome change. No more Colin Cowherd is great. If only we can get a Bills broadcast to replace Jim Rome and his jungle, then all would be well with the world.

On the changes: The 10-12 time slot is one I will only be able to hear occasionally, but hopefully interesting tidbits will be posted.

I have no problem with Rob Ray providing color. Danny Gare does not have the make-up for a night's worth of color commentary. I confess that I miss Jim Lorenz. The "bat-man" was an understated positive to the broadcast. This said, Rob Ray was not ready 2 or 3 years ago. Over the past year or so I have noticed a significant upgrade in Rob's flow to his commentary. The cliches have decreased and some good insight has been offered. This is something I was not expecting and I agree with the Sabres' decision in this case.

Kevin Sylvester is not the answer for PxP. When RJ does retire, the Sabres will need to look elsewhere. Finally, I would like to hear more from Brian Duff (Dennis Williams would also have been a big asset for this venture, but that is another story).

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:55 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I liked Rob Ray by the ice. Not the most eloquent guy, but he did have some good insight from down there. Not so sure he'll be good as a color guy. But, at the very least, between him and RJ, there's a helluva drinking game to be made there.

Also, thank god we don't have to listen to NYI/NJD feeds anymore. I actually don't hate the NYR ones.
+100. Howie Rose for NYI isn't SO bad but RJ is good. Now that I live up here I actually get to hear RJ and Ray/Neale instead of a really crapjob stream

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Duffman

Quote:
I shed a tear of joy

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
kirby11

no more neale... ok
no more sylvester...
It will be interesting to hear rob ray in the booth sometimes, should be some funny moments between him and RJ

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
aceface33

Take that Tootoo!

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

So Duff is the new Sylvester. Kevin does radio only for two hours a day?

Ray replaces Neale, but from ice level. Neale becomes an additional Roby. That's it in a nutshell?

If true? Love.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
So Duff is the new Sylvester. Kevin does radio only for two hours a day?

Ray replaces Neale, but from ice level. Neale becomes an additional Roby. That's it in a nutshell?

If true? Love.
That's my understanding of it yeah.

Lovin it.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Fantastic news!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:14 AM
cybresabre
Smooth as Marzette G

vCash: 1001
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Ray doing color? Oh man, that'll be priceless. I can only imagine how blasted some people will get playing the Rayzor drinking game. Shot for every time he says "No, you're right Rick." Good luck.
Raise a glass to our fallen brethren who played that with the "y'know" grace notes that used to precede every single sentence. He's improving, though.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
I'm torn on this... I love Rayzor but I don't think he's ready/good enough for the booth. He mumbles too much and sometimes is incoherent. I know I'm in the minority but I actually enjoy listening to Neale, the guy is a legend and I can't stand the people that put him down constantly while not being critical towards RJ. Neale is a true pioneer in the booth and doesn't deserve the vile hatred spewed towards him. At least he is still going to be involved.
Couldn't agree more. Never understood the Neale-hate.

I think Harry Neale adds a lot to the broadcast, with all of his stories and experience.

I also like Rob Ray between the benches. It's a perfect spot for a guy like him. Putting him in a position where his verbal abilities are going to be magnified, is not a smart move.

Brian Duff would've been an excellent choice, as would Roby.

Ksly bannished from the broadcast is great news! I never liked blind homers, and he's one of the worst I've seen.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
LucilleAustero

I'm going to miss Harry in the booth.

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote