HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wideman

Old
06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Free Probie

vCash: 500
Wideman

Anyone else besides me be pleased with the wings singing him. If we can't get Suter he would be my next target. A big jump down but in my opinion the next best d man available

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

I wouldn't have a problem with signing him. He can play on the PP. Like you said, probably the next best thing if we can't get Suter.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:10 PM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with signing him. He can play on the PP. Like you said, probably the next best thing if we can't get Suter.
For a signing, yes, but hopefully Holland can trade the slew of promising young forwards that the Wings have into a number 1 defenseman, i.e. Girardi for defense/Karlsson for offence type of guy, who I'm not suggesting are available.

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
For a signing, yes, but hopefully Holland can trade the slew of promising young forwards that the Wings have into a number 1 defenseman, i.e. Girardi for defense/Karlsson for offence type of guy, who I'm not suggesting are available.
We'd have to throw in more than a slew of promising young forwards to get a player like Girardi or Karlsson, especially since they are not even on the market.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Why do you guys love Wideman so much...? I've seen him play this year and honestly, he isn't very good. Especially defensively.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsRatchet View Post
Why do you guys love Wideman so much...? I've seen him play this year and honestly, he isn't very good. Especially defensively.
No one is saying we love him. We're just saying he is a viable option if we can't get Suter. He's not chopped liver... Geez.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Free Probie

The guy played nearly 20 minutes a game. Without lidstrom and Stuart in your line up that's a big hole. The guy has flat out speed and is one of the better skating defencemen in the league. I think he would be a great pairing with a young defensive player and help out the pp

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Yeah, I almost guarantee if they don't get Suter (or maybe even if they do get Suter), they'll go for Wideman or Carle.

Suter-Wideman
Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-White
Smith

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Jimbo7200

I'd prefer Carle.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Yeah, I almost guarantee if they don't get Suter (or maybe even if they do get Suter), they'll go for Wideman or Carle.

Suter-Wideman
Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-White
Smith
In that case, I hope Smith rotates in and out with White. We can't afford another Kindl situation with Smith.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Roy S

I'd expect them to sign Suter and then roll with him, Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, White, Smith and Kindl to start the season. Then, if needed, they would acquire a Stuart-like defenseman at the deadline. That would be similar to the approach they took following the 07 season where they lost Schneider and Markov. They signed a top pairing guy in Rafalski to replace Schneider and then added Stuart at the deadline to replace Markov.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
No one is saying we love him. We're just saying he is a viable option if we can't get Suter. He's not chopped liver... Geez.
He sucks.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:28 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

The problem with Wideman as a plan B to Suter is that, even with Suter this team is very questionable when it comes to the defensive side of the defense corps. Take Suter off a potential roster and replace him with Wideman, and now our defense is just asking to get abused, imo.

Kronwall
Wideman
Ericsson
Quincey
White
Smith
Kindl

Yikes. The Wings need to acquire at least one guy who can be relied on defensively, and preferably two. Suter would be 1. Wideman would be 0. If you acquire Wideman, you still need that defensive guy, and still preferably two. Which means moving a White or a Quincey if you get Wideman. Which I wouldn't necessarily be against per se, but it's a lot of work and a lot of player movement just to slightly upgrade the defense's offensive ability while not really at all addressing the real problem with the D.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:49 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I'd prefer Carle.
This.

Ryan Suter is priority one. If Suter can't be had, Carle in Detroit.

Signing Carle instead of Suter frees up cash to land Jackman, but I'd rather have Suter and the rest of our current roster if I had to choose.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Don't watch him enough. How many people actually do?

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:30 AM
sureWhyNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I'd prefer Carle.
I second that.

sureWhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:33 AM
sureWhyNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
Don't watch him enough. How many people actually do?
I do. Center ice package for 3 years running. He's good for sure. But fr what we need, and if we don't get Surer, Carle would be my preferred signing.

Like Eva pointed out, it would leave some money to try to bring someone in - like Jackman

sureWhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post

Yikes. The Wings need to acquire at least one guy who can be relied on defensively, and preferably two. Suter would be 1. Wideman would be 0. If you acquire Wideman, you still need that defensive guy, and still preferably two. Which means moving a White or a Quincey if you get Wideman. Which I wouldn't necessarily be against per se, but it's a lot of work and a lot of player movement just to slightly upgrade the defense's offensive ability while not really at all addressing the real problem with the D.
Time to offer-sheet Shea Weber.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:46 AM
silkyjohnson50*

I'd rather give Smith all of the ice time that you'd want from Wideman and save that money for a defensive defencemen.

Think about Rafalski during his last season... Then imagine him with decreased vision, being worse offensively, turning in more head scratching decisions with the puck, being worse defensively, and actually becoming slower. That is Dennis Wideman.

With or without Suter, Wideman would not be a player that i'd be interested in. I'd explore all trade options before making him my next target after Suter.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:41 AM
korrowan

I really don't understand with the assumptions about the D being bad even with Stuart mailing it in and Lids being on one leg the defense was NOT the problem...getting the puck in the net was the issue during the playoffs.

korrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by korrowan View Post
I really don't understand with the assumptions about the D being bad even with Stuart mailing it in and Lids being on one leg the defense was NOT the problem...getting the puck in the net was the issue during the playoffs.
I agree. Having that big horse is a big deal, we've seen it with Lidstrom, Doughty, Pronger, Chara etc... But it's not the only way to do things. Offense and our top 6 is more pressing.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:33 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
It's not that the defense was a problem with Lidstrom and Stuart here. It's that the defense is now a problem, with Lidstrom and Stuart gone.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I agree. Having that big horse is a big deal, we've seen it with Lidstrom, Doughty, Pronger, Chara etc... But it's not the only way to do things. Offense and our top 6 is more pressing.
You don't think the defense that Lidstrom and Stuart provided is currently the biggest hole on the team? Those were our two best defensemen on the defensive side of the puck, mind you.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I don't want to slam Stuart now that he's gone, but this past season he was not the player he was for us a few years ago. While Smith may not be as solid defensively as Stuart was, I think the total package may balance out just as well. And the right upgrades up front, and/or system tweaks, can make our blueline look better, too.

06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
You don't think getting the puck in the net might have had something to do with puck-moving ability starting from the back-end?

I think people are seriously underestimating what the back-to-back loss of Rafalski and Lidstrom will do to our offense.

Defensive deficiencies be damned, we should be desperate for a defenseman like Wideman (or Mike Green for that matter) should we lose out on Suter.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote