HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

1980 vs. 1972

View Poll Results: 1980 vs. 1972
1980 Miracle on Ice 35 57.38%
1972 Summit Series 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2004, 01:24 PM
espo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I never said you guys should recognize the Miracle on Ice as #1 and I'm not selling short the Summit series, never have, both have their reasons as why their events are meaningfull. But if you were to ask a hundred hockey fans OUTSIDE of the US and Canada which event was more significant, who do you think is going to win?

Also you got me confused with how you view the 1980 game since in this post you admit it's great but yet in a earlier one you came up with "nice victory", so with all due respect I don't think you understand the implications of what this game did do for USA hockey as it produce a whole new generation of hockey stars for us, if you don't believe me ask Brian Leetch, Bill Geurin, Mike Modano, John LeClair, Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte....the list goes on, they were kids when they watched that in 1980 and most definetly motivated them to focus on hockey.

If you ever really want to grasp what this meant to our nation there is a documentery on the 1980 Miracle team by HBO, truely one of the best ever made in the sports category. CHeck it out.
I can do that....i would also suggest you get CBC's
documentary on the summit series as you will see just what was involved in that baby.As for the hundred fans outside the U.S and Canada and what moment will win or get the most votes i'll take that bet......especially if the hundred people outside both countries are from the hockey loving countries........you are seriousely underrating how well that is known and the knowledge those countries have of Canadian hockey history.....Canada has been it's measuring stick for years.....when they think hockey they think Canada,even in the States....ask any average joe in the States about hockey and they will most likely respond......a game with a lot of Canadians where they fight a lot and have a lot of teeth missing......no-one around the world(even in non traditional hockey countries) think United states when they think hockey...they think Canada and maybe Russia.....this is not being cocky,it's the simple truth and i know you know this. The miracle is huge in the States and i understand why....but it's just not as huge everywhere else,you are way off if you think it is.It certanly was huge to the Neal Brotens and mike modano's and Pat Lafontaines of the world but not to your hockey loving fan in Finland,Switzerland or Germany for that matter.Again...i'll take that bet for sure and i 'm confident the summit series will be remembered more.I acknowledge what the miracle did for hockey in the United States,it fostered a whole generation of kids who wanted to play but let's not overstate it because it did not foster increased popularity in the game itself there,hockey itself is still relegated to the back pages of the sports section. Once again...i understand your position and would'nt expect it to change but because it is the biggest sports moment in U.S history does;nt make it so automatically for everyone else......i still say the summit series is more recognized around the world in the traditional hockey countries then the miracle.....and that's what it's all about isn't it? Because you know.....Africa really does'nt care...know what i mean?

Old
12-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
I can do that....i would also suggest you get CBC's
documentary on the summit series as you will see just what was involved in that baby.As for the hundred fans outside the U.S and Canada and what moment will win or get the most votes i'll take that bet......especially if the hundred people outside both countries are from the hockey loving countries........you are seriousely underrating how well that is known and the knowledge those countries have of Canadian hockey history.....Canada has been it's measuring stick for years.....when they think hockey they think Canada,even in the States....ask any average joe in the States about hockey and they will most likely respond......a game with a lot of Canadians where they fight a lot and have a lot of teeth missing......no-one around the world(even in non traditional hockey countries) think United states when they think hockey...they think Canada and maybe Russia.....this is not being cocky,it's the simple truth and i know you know this. The miracle is huge in the States and i understand why....but it's just not as huge everywhere else,you are way off if you think it is.It certanly was huge to the Neal Brotens and mike modano's and Pat Lafontaines of the world but not to your hockey loving fan in Finland,Switzerland or Germany for that matter.Again...i'll take that bet for sure and i 'm confident the summit series will be remembered more.I acknowledge what the miracle did for hockey in the United States,it fostered a whole generation of kids who wanted to play but let's not overstate it because it did not foster increased popularity in the game itself there,hockey itself is still relegated to the back pages of the sports section. Once again...i understand your position and would'nt expect it to change but because it is the biggest sports moment in U.S history does;nt make it so automatically for everyone else......i still say the summit series is more recognized around the world in the traditional hockey countries then the miracle.....and that's what it's all about isn't it? Because you know.....Africa really does'nt care...know what i mean?
Dude, I don't know what your point really is or how relevant it is to this conversation because for one, I don't understand how the popularity of the sport within each country has ANYTHING to do with these games played, it's as if you want to penalize the american victory because it's not their top sport and give more credence to the Canadian victory because it's their #1 sport. My arguement is that the USA Olympic victory is a MUCH bigger achievement that the Canadians Summit win. I ask you who was in the underdog in each of these instances, I recall that everyone was shocked on how good the Russians played against the Canada, people might have not expected this to be one sided victory but nobody imagined that Canada would have to fight back to win this thing like they did but I could be wrong.

Nobody but Herb Brooks and his team thought they had a rats ass chance to beat the Russians.

I think were dancing in circles here so I'll let you have the last word, but on a final note you kinda indicated that Neal Broten watched the game, he played in it.

12-28-2004, 10:54 PM
espo*

Yes Neal did play in that game......big gaff there,especially when i knew better...i think you mentioning him in the post close to when you were talking about the players in America the 1980 game spawned threw me off...anyway...last word,hmmmm.....nothing really...i understand what you are saying in this post.....we are always going to think differently on this one but you know what?....it's not a big deal when i realise it's a true hockey fan who believes in what he says whether i agree with it or not......Both games mentioned are precious to us for the reasons we mentioned....and that is to be expected and understandable.I guess what is important is our memories and the feelings it generates for us.......that is the good thing

Old
12-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Dude, I don't know what your point really is or how relevant it is to this conversation because for one, I don't understand how the popularity of the sport within each country has ANYTHING to do with these games played, it's as if you want to penalize the american victory because it's not their top sport and give more credence to the Canadian victory because it's their #1 sport. My arguement is that the USA Olympic victory is a MUCH bigger achievement that the Canadians Summit win. I ask you who was in the underdog in each of these instances, I recall that everyone was shocked on how good the Russians played against the Canada, people might have not expected this to be one sided victory but nobody imagined that Canada would have to fight back to win this thing like they did but I could be wrong.

Nobody but Herb Brooks and his team thought they had a rats ass chance to beat the Russians.

I think were dancing in circles here so I'll let you have the last word, but on a final note you kinda indicated that Neal Broten watched the game, he played in it.
Well said.

Old
12-31-2004, 11:39 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

What the hell are you asking anyway? 1972 vs 1980 isn't much of a question.

Closed Thread