HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey X (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
Here's those two biggies plus the other discussion points...

From what I have read online, the owners want:
  • Redefine what is "hockey revenue (HR)" so less of the league's revenue is included
  • Lower the player's share of "HR" from 57% to 46%
  • Push Entry Level Contracts (ELCs) from three years to five years
  • Push Unrestricted Free Agency out to ten years of NHL experience
  • Get rid of salary arbitration
  • Limit long term contracts to five years
  • Force contracts to have the same salary in every season (no front-loading of contracts)

This could get real ugly before it gets better!

If this is the case, I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for the ASG in Columbus, these would be MASSIVE demands by the owners. I can't honestly see the players kowtowing to some of these when the cap is continually going up now, even if we just had a lockout less than a decade ago.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 07-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old
07-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Here's those two biggies plus the other discussion points...

From what I have read online, the owners want:
  • Redefine what is "hockey revenue (HR)" so less of the league's revenue is included
  • Lower the player's share of "HR" from 57% to 46%
  • Push Entry Level Contracts (ELCs) from three years to five years
  • Push Unrestricted Free Agency out to ten years of NHL experience
  • Get rid of salary arbitration
  • Limit long term contracts to five years
  • Force contracts to have the same salary in every season (no front-loading of contracts)

This could get real ugly before it gets better!
Those union thugs and their unreasonable demands

07-14-2012, 02:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
If this is the case, I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for the ASG in Columbus, these would be MASSIVE demands by the owners. I can't honestly see the players kowtowing to some of these when the cap is continually going up now, even if we just had a lockout less than a decade ago.
All that after the Wild came up with those huge contracts for Parise and Suter! And now the owners are going to cry poor?

Old
07-16-2012, 09:56 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Yep yep yep

Leopold screwed the owners argument. Let me give you both 100MM. Committed 200 million to two players. What happens if the cap goes down? We just whack 20% off the top. No problem, that means the Wild is only on the hook for 160MM in total.

What a ******.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Former CBJ Dman (and current Rick Nash bro-buddy) Aaron Johnson signed with Boston on a 1 year 2-way deal.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home

Old
07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
RIP Nashville. Viqsi will need a new bandwagon team now.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Flyers sign Shea Weber to offer sheet.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet.

I'm told a number of teams were in on a possible Shea Weber trade. If Preds don't match, they receive 4- 1st round picks as compensation.

I may have made an error on compensatory picks. Depending on aav, it could be 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd round pick if Preds don't match.

Last edited by CBJWennberg41: 07-19-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I may have made an error on compensatory picks. Depending on aav, it could be 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd round pick if Preds don't match.
AAV is calculated on an offer sheet by dividing the total salary by the lower number of:
1) The actual number of years, or
2) 5

So a $100 million offer sheet, divided by 5, is going to push the compensation scale to over $20 million AAV. So it's 4 first-rounders.

The better question is what the fallout from this does to the balance of power in the Atlantic if Weber ends up in Philadelphia. Do the Rangers and Penguins start actually making serious offers for other available players, knowing that they'll be left behind in an arms race if they don't? Does Nashville say "the hell with this" and start rebuilding? Is there going to be side trades that take place?

And just think, less than 2 hours ago, people were declaring the offseason to be "over" and start running for the hills again...no, my friends, it's just beginning.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:35 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
RIP Nashville. Viqsi will need a new bandwagon team now.
They can still match it. Makes for an interesting situation.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Hugg

For a budget team like Nashville, I really don't see how matching and spending $14 million a year on Weber is smart. That contract is great for a big budget team and poison for a small budget team.

If the numbers I looked at are correct, they've never spent more than $52 million in a season. So, Weber's annual outlay the first few years would be over 25% of that.

And if there's a no movement clause so they'll have a disgruntled huge contract, clearly he doesn't want to return or he wouldn't have done this, who can control where he can be traded.

Ignore last part, didn't realize they don't have to match a NMC.

Last edited by Hugg: 07-19-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 05:56 AM
EspenK

I think they have to match. This guy is the cornerstone of their D and while cash flow is going to take a hit, imagine what it will be like when attendance starts to drop. I don't think a team can lose their top 2 D men - both who are All-Star quality - and not seriously regress.

Of course there is the Jacket jinx angle to consider. Without him Nashville tanks and beats out the Jackets for the draft pick that turns into MacKinnon.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:59 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
AAV is calculated on an offer sheet by dividing the total salary by the lower number of:
1) The actual number of years, or
2) 5

So a $100 million offer sheet, divided by 5, is going to push the compensation scale to over $20 million AAV. So it's 4 first-rounders.

The better question is what the fallout from this does to the balance of power in the Atlantic if Weber ends up in Philadelphia. Do the Rangers and Penguins start actually making serious offers for other available players, knowing that they'll be left behind in an arms race if they don't? Does Nashville say "the hell with this" and start rebuilding? Is there going to be side trades that take place?

And just think, less than 2 hours ago, people were declaring the offseason to be "over" and start running for the hills again...no, my friends, it's just beginning.
If Pronger can't play and with Carle gone, I'm not sure adding Weber makes Philly the team to beat. I'd say about the same as with Pronger in the lineup. Now if he comes back then they are looking good.

Whether that makes the Rangers up their offer for Nash, I don't know.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
DoggyII

I really feel for Preds fans...this team has done an awful lot right over the last ten years and to lose your two best positional players in less than three weeks (when trying to keep them) really sucks.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
I really feel for Preds fans...this team has done an awful lot right over the last ten years and to lose your two best positional players in less than three weeks (when trying to keep them) really sucks.
Meh. I still feel worse for us. Really does suck for them though.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

The good news for the Preds is that they have drafted well and have an all world goalie. Losing Suter and Weber in the same year is a huge, huge hit but if they dont' match, I don't think they stumble for long. Granted, with little offense and the loss of your top 2 defensemen, Rinne is going to be under serious pressure to carry that team. Trotz is a great coach but isn't a miracle worker.

I hope they don't match purely out of my desire for the Jackets to have a chance moving up in the central.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Skraut

Hate to see this happen to Preds fans. They've already had one below the belt shot with Suter, and now this.

There is a tiny bit of me that thinks if it goes through and Philly gets better that it may force the Rangers to make a move, and that would be good for the Nash situation.

But that voice is mostly silenced by watching yet another small market team get screwed over by a big market team.

...and knowing I cheer for a small market team.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
But that voice is mostly silenced by watching yet another small market team get screwed over by a big market team.
Hate the Flyers, but I don't see how the Flyers are screwing anyone. This sounds more like a Weber issue than anything else. The Preds were prepared to spend the money and they can still match. I'm not sure Weber wants them to match, however. This should be interesting.

The signing bonus stuff is getting old, however.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Hate the Flyers, but I don't see how the Flyers are screwing anyone. This sounds more like a Weber issue than anything else. The Preds were prepared to spend the money and they can still match. I'm not sure Weber wants them to match, however. This should be interesting.

The signing bonus stuff is getting old, however.
They are screwing the Preds with those signing bonuses. By having 27 Million due before the Preds would even be eligible to trade him, they are REALLY putting the screws to a budget team that usually hovers around the cap floor.

Preds ownership is really going to have a hard time finding that in their couch cushions.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
They are screwing the Preds with those signing bonuses. By having 27 Million due before the Preds would even be eligible to trade him, they are REALLY putting the screws to a budget team that usually hovers around the cap floor.

Preds ownership is really going to have a hard time finding that in their couch cushions.
The Preds were just offering big bucks to Suter and seemed willing to match his offer. Take a look at where they sit right now as far as the cap and salary. This is not a hard decision for them if they have any brains. Heck, if it were me, I'd have already matched this and moved on.

Weber did them a favor. He could have waited until next year and pulled a Suter. Now they can match and he stays (or not match and get something). Of course, the irony is that he wanted them to show they would be competitive and his contract will make that more difficult in the near term.

My hunch is that he stays.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I know this has been said before ad nauseam, but still, I love how the new (well, I guess it's old, now) CBA was specifically designed to aid parity, keep more teams competitive, and in effect keep player salaries from ballooning out of control..... but here we are 8 years later or whatever and the lawyers have all found loopholes out of basically all of those things

Old
07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
I know this has been said before ad nauseam, but still, I love how the new (well, I guess it's old, now) CBA was specifically designed to aid parity, keep more teams competitive, and in effect keep player salaries from ballooning out of control..... but here we are 8 years later or whatever and the lawyers have all found loopholes out of basically all of those things
Meh, it was never designed for that purpose. Big markets would never allow it. It was solely designed to placate small markets with "cost certainty" while allowing big markets to get side benefit of lower player costs for themselves.

Small market teams need to start realizing that the players aren't the ones getting screwed the most in these negotiations, its them.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
Former CBJ Dman (and current Rick Nash bro-buddy) Aaron Johnson signed with Boston on a 1 year 2-way deal.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home
Nash to Boston. (E5)

Old
07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The Preds were just offering big bucks to Suter and seemed willing to match his offer. Take a look at where they sit right now as far as the cap and salary. This is not a hard decision for them if they have any brains. Heck, if it were me, I'd have already matched this and moved on.

Weber did them a favor. He could have waited until next year and pulled a Suter. Now they can match and he stays (or not match and get something). Of course, the irony is that he wanted them to show they would be competitive and his contract will make that more difficult in the near term.

My hunch is that he stays.
I agree with your hunch. Nashville already publicly stated that they would match any and all offers for Weber.

I think that they keep that promise.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Nikita Filatov

There's talk that Weber may just end up being traded to the Flyers for more compensation, including Voracek +.

I'd love to see Nashville without two Allstar defenders, but seeing Voracek in that jersey would kill a part of me. I think it was Meszaros, Voracek, Gustaffson, Cousins/Akeson, and two 1sts was what I saw on the Flyers board.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
There's talk that Weber may just end up being traded to the Flyers for more compensation, including Voracek +.

I'd love to see Nashville without two Allstar defenders, but seeing Voracek in that jersey would kill a part of me. I think it was Meszaros, Voracek, Gustaffson, Cousins/Akeson, and two 1sts was what I saw on the Flyers board.
Before Dustin Penner, the last player to move via offer sheet (with compensation) was Chris Gratton. In that case, the compensation due was four 1st-rounders to Tampa Bay.

Also in that case, Tampa Bay decided to trade all four of those picks back to Philly for Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis.

Closed Thread