HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Around The NHL - Brian Burke fired

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
No way Stalberg commands $4 mil + on the FA market. He hasn't proven (yet) that he's on the same offensive level as Versteeg or Voracek.
You realize he had 43 points last year in 14 mins a game right (including 22 goals)? Voracek had 49 in 16. Frankly I'd be surprised if Stalberg doesn't have another 40-45 point campaign this season. Versteeg had 44 (16 mpg) and 46 points (18 mpg) before last years season that was cut short by injury.

People around here dump on Stalberg and then prop up players with nearly the same production as him. Last year was his 2nd full season in the NHL and the production he puts up in the amount of time he plays makes him an absolute steal.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Yeah, if Stalberg puts up another 40+ point season (which barring injury, I see him doing pretty easily), his market value is going to be around Voracek/Versteeg. Although if the cap decreases, it may be a little lower.

It is amusing to see all these people ripping on Stalberg. Perhaps even a little sad, because they'll continue to do it even if (or when, I should say) he puts up another solid season next year.
And then, of course, the prospect-obsessed fans will clamor for a random guy who put up half the points in the AHL that Stalberg did in the NHL to replace him. "Let Stalberg go! He's overrated. Tallon sucks. Bowman is a visionary." Etc.

Yeah, getting way off topic there. There is little to separate Stalberg from a player like Voracek - they have different strengths, yes, but their production is almost the same (Stalberg with more goals). Only difference is that Voracek has put up 40-50 more than just one time. But Stalberg's had only two full seasons in the NHL, and he managed it in his latest one. He has improved dramatically since coming to Chicago. No reason to think he won't have another season just like it, if not an even better one.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Since we aren't bringing in anyone via FA, and using that cap space. Think Stalberg would accept a 3-4 year deal similar to what Frolik got?

Old
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Since we aren't bringing in anyone via FA, and using that cap space. Think Stalberg would accept a 3-4 year deal similar to what Frolik got?
Doubtful

Stalberg is older then Frolik and would be surrendering his FA years

Old
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
RayP

Canes lock up Semin for 1 year and 7M. That's a lot to pay, but I'd rather overpay on one year than a 3-4 year deal with him. I really like what the Canes have going for them this year, going to be a very exciting team.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I wonder what kind of deal Semin will get next year if he lights it up in Raleigh

Old
07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
You realize he had 43 points last year in 14 mins a game right (including 22 goals)? Voracek had 49 in 16. Frankly I'd be surprised if Stalberg doesn't have another 40-45 point campaign this season. Versteeg had 44 (16 mpg) and 46 points (18 mpg) before last years season that was cut short by injury.

People around here dump on Stalberg and then prop up players with nearly the same production as him. Last year was his 2nd full season in the NHL and the production he puts up in the amount of time he plays makes him an absolute steal.
I absolutely loathed everything Victor Stalberg from the beginning of the 2010-11 season all the way to about 30 games into last season. My opinion on him was that he could "Skate really well, but had hands of stone, no shot, and no D coverage".

He did play a lot better this season but i have no reason to believe he's going to be worth a $4+mil cap hit. He had 8(?) goals against columbus this year, still has no hands, no threatening shot (unlike Voracek and Versteeg), and doesn't use his monster frame like he should.

With raises to Kane, Toews, Bolland, Leddy, Crawford (maybe?), and a lot of prospects coming off ELC's in the next season or two, i dont want to have cap space eaten up by Stalberg, Frolik, Montador, and Oduya that prevents us from resigning some of our core.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I absolutely loathed everything Victor Stalberg from the beginning of the 2010-11 season all the way to about 30 games into last season. My opinion on him was that he could "Skate really well, but had hands of stone, no shot, and no D coverage".

He did play a lot better this season but i have no reason to believe he's going to be worth a $4+mil cap hit. He had 8(?) goals against columbus this year, still has no hands, no threatening shot (unlike Voracek and Versteeg), and doesn't use his monster frame like he should.

With raises to Kane, Toews, Bolland, Leddy, Crawford (maybe?), and a lot of prospects coming off ELC's in the next season or two, i dont want to have cap space eaten up by Stalberg, Frolik, Montador, and Oduya that prevents us from resigning some of our core.
Voracek's shot is pretty terrible. It's barely better than Kruger's. Are you sure you've watched him?

You've listed Stalberg's faults and taken a remarkably one-sided view, as is pretty typical. Objectivity suggests that you at least realize the positive things in his game too.

So, if we're comparing to Jakub Voracek...
Voracek is softer. Stalberg may not use his body like he potentially could ("monster frame..." really?), but you don't see Hossa going around and hitting guys like Byfuglien, either. Players have certain strengths, and certain weaknesses. Stalberg can be a reasonable physical presence - wasn't he up there in terms of hits for Hawk forwards this year? I realize this team is soft as hell, but give him an ounce of credit. If you're worried about the team not being physical, then getting rid of what is statistically its second most physical forward (I could be remembering wrong, but I'm fairly sure he was 2nd in hits among Blackhawk forwards) isn't the best way to go.
Voracek's shot is weaker. Stalberg may not have a rocket, but his shot is capable enough.
Voracek's a better puckhandler. Good for him. Every player has his strengths. This is his biggest advantage.
Stalberg is much faster. This is what makes his game an effective one.
Stalberg is a far better forechecker, mainly because of his superior speed.

Point is, there are positives and negatives for every player. Where are you going to get another 20G, 40+ point player - all done at even strength - if you let Stalberg go? One of the beloved prospects, who have proven literally nothing? No thanks, let them earn their spots rather than have them handed to them on a platter. Sign a free agent? That's a possibility, but one that Stan Bowman seems incapable of. Besides, the FA market necessitates overpayments like you said you wanted to avoid. Make a trade? Sure, if you want to give up some assets. 20-goal scorers who do all of their damage at even strength don't grow on trees in this league.

There will be plenty of money to give Toews, Kane, etc. the raises they deserve. Personally I don't think either player has shown enough to truly deserve over $7.5M annually, and can anybody honestly say otherwise? 7.5M would make them some of the highest paid player in the league as it is. And they should be. But upwards of 8M and you are vastly overpaying.
So set out 3 million in cap space to re-sign those two.
Re-sign Stalberg for what? 3.5M? 4M? Assuming he maintains his production next year and puts up another good season... why the hell not? Why give up a proven asset (as he would be at that point) because you are too stubborn to sign him to a contract that he would deserve? Seems silly. That isn't the way to manage a team.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
RayP

Pic of some guys who had a scrimmage in Atlantic City. I'd pay great money to watch it, without hesitation.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Pic of some guys who had a scrimmage in Atlantic City. I'd pay great money to watch it, without hesitation.

looks like an ahl all star team

Old
07-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Stalberg is not a player you sign to a 4 million contract...
Semin again only 1 year and still in the east
Voracek sounds a bit high, but was expected after Webers OS was matched

Old
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Stalberg is not a player you sign to a 4 million contract...
Semin again only 1 year and still in the east
Voracek sounds a bit high, but was expected after Webers OS was matched
If he puts up 40 points and 20 goals again, he certainly is worth 3.5-4 million annually on a contract.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
You can't just let everyone walk when they earn a raise. Where the **** were you guys 10-15 years ago???

Old
07-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Illinihockey

TSN reporting Doan wants 4 years, $30 mil to leave Phoenix. Red Wings guys I know say they have pulled out of the running for Doan because of his demands.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Cullksinikers

Having Doan at an AAV of $7.5 million at age 39 is a joke.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
TSN reporting Doan wants 4 years, $30 mil to leave Phoenix. Red Wings guys I know say they have pulled out of the running for Doan because of his demands.
No thanks.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:25 PM
MagicSlap*

Too much term.

Too many dollars.

Pass.

I wouldn't be upset if he did sign here but that's a bad contract.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Wanted Doan, but knew he wasn't coming here, and those ridiculous demands cement it.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:43 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I'd pay him that 7.5 mil for 2 years, but that's it, and I still wouldn't be happy about it. For 4 years the most I would do is probably like 4.25 per.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
RomersWorld*

Apparently Douglas Murray and Elin whatever(Tiger's ex-wife) are hooking up. From Tiger Woods to Douglas Murray...wow. I always thought Murray looked like a caveman, plus he is incredibly poor compared to Tiger. But I guess Elin is rich as hell after the divorce. Still seems like a weird pair...both Swedes though.

http://www.rantsports.com/fiveholedi...lin-nordegren/

Old
07-31-2012, 09:51 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

The Bertuzzi civil trial has been pushed back to January 2013 (from autumn 2012).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4451488/

Old
07-31-2012, 09:54 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Apparently Douglas Murray and Elin whatever(Tiger's ex-wife) are hooking up. From Tiger Woods to Douglas Murray...wow. I always thought Murray looked like a caveman, plus he is incredibly poor compared to Tiger. But I guess Elin is rich as hell after the divorce. Still seems like a weird pair...both Swedes though.

http://www.rantsports.com/fiveholedi...lin-nordegren/
She got over $100M in that divorce settlement.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:15 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

bad news in canuckland

messier got awarded $6 million by an arbitrator for some dispute he was having with the canucks over deferred pay or something and Kesler's agent denied a report from Gillis that Kesler's rehab from surgery was ahead of schedule - in fact, Kesler won't be back until December at the earliest.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4459754/

Old
08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
bad news in canuckland

messier got awarded $6 million by an arbitrator for some dispute he was having with the canucks over deferred pay or something and Kesler's agent denied a report from Gillis that Kesler's rehab from surgery was ahead of schedule - in fact, Kesler won't be back until December at the earliest.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4459754/
Just in time for the season to start

Old
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Luongos asking price just went from Top 6 Winger to Top9 Center...

something the Hawks, Leafs and Panthers can't afford to lose

Closed Thread