HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL - Brian Burke fired

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 12:32 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

vCash: 500
Bettman's the one who told the NHLPA that the NHL wouldnt negotiate anymore unless they were willing to take major pay cuts. I have a feeling the whole season is going to be cancelled. Between the stubbornness of the owners and the stubbornness of the players i cant see it starting anytime soon.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You know the owners opted out of the deal, right? And then lowballed the union at 47%.

I don't think it's fair to blame Fehr at this point. That's not saying he won't deserve blame soon or before this is over, though.
at least, the union wanted to negotiate... Fehr is stupid and should be fired. Bettman has to go too. 3 out of 3 possible times he ends up with a lockout

woo hoo. More are to blame but Fehr the most

Old
09-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Sevanston

The union was willing to play this year with the current CBA. After all, why wouldn't they? The one that just expired worked out well in their favor.

The owners are the ones who are crying that they're so deep in poverty that they can't play one more season under the previous agreement. All this while almost each and every one of them committed big money in contracts this summer.

To me, it seems like buying a Ferrari and then refusing to drive it because gas is too expensive.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
The union was willing to play this year with the current CBA. After all, why wouldn't they? The one that just expired worked out well in their favor.

The owners are the ones who are crying that they're so deep in poverty that they can't play one more season under the previous agreement. All this while almost each and every one of them committed big money in contracts this summer.

To me, it seems like buying a Ferrari and then refusing to drive it because gas is too expensive.
You are really Naive ,, Fehr history shows that to be suicide to go forth with for owners

MLB players did it under Fehr and went on strike before playoffs to try and force league to cave into there demands

1994 MLB Players strike,, Might want to read up on it

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 09-16-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old
09-16-2012, 02:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
You are really Naive ,, Fehr history shows that to be suicide to go forth with for owners

MLB players did it under Fehr and striked before playoffs to try and force league to cave into there demands

1994 MLB Players strike,, Might want to read up on it
Dude, the baseball players were able to prove that the owners were colluding against them. This is nothing like that situation.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 09-16-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Removed out the 2nd part about my education
Old
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Dude, the baseball players were able to prove that the owners were colluding against them. This is nothing like that situation.
MLB players played with no CBA agreement and then Fehr organized them to strike before playoffs to try and get owners to cave

The collusion finding dont change fact Fehr and his players planned a strike to try and force owners hands

Old
09-16-2012, 02:24 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
The player's aren't going to take any pay cuts. The owners aren't going to cave in.

Make sure you have a space heater in your corner, gentlemen and UWT. This is going to be a long winter.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:34 PM
HjamSandwich

Owners will win.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Owners almost always win...

Everything is like it was expected. Can't wait to see the season started with a big bang and the Winter Classic.
Owners don't really care about October-December games and players aren't really in a hurry. They have some kind of time now.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:12 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Ben Eager was arrested yesterday after getting into a bar fight in Toronto. I ate there last week

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...medium=twitter

Quote:
Known more for scoring knockouts than goals, Edmonton Oilers forward Ben Eager allegedly found an off-ice outlet for his pugilistic talents this weekend.

According to reports, the 6-foot-2 left-winger and his brother, Michael, are facing assault charges following a bar fight at The Quail and Firkin Pub in Toronto’s Rosedale neighbourhood early Saturday morning.

The general manager of the pub told CityTV that her doorman “was brutally attacked and hurt.”

Video cameras caught the altercation and footage will be passed along to police, said Jennine Lombardo.

An ambulance took to the bouncer to hospital.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
RayP

Can't wait to see that video.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:32 AM
RayP

Islanders officially moving to Brooklyn in 2015.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...klyn-1.4147203

Old
10-24-2012, 10:45 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Reportedly for a 25-year lease, too, which is the news that really surprises me.

I was honestly expecting them to just move in temporarily while a new arena specifically for them gets built in Brooklyn, Queens, or back in the Long Island suburbs. Clearly not the case!

Still a bit surprising, as I figured that they'd have higher ambitions than averaging 14,500 when they have a new barn and a hopefully better team.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Reportedly for a 25-year lease, too, which is the news that really surprises me.

I was honestly expecting them to just move in temporarily while a new arena specifically for them gets built in Brooklyn, Queens, or back in the Long Island suburbs. Clearly not the case!

Still a bit surprising, as I figured that they'd have higher ambitions than averaging 14,500 when they have a new barn and a hopefully better team.
So the Isles will be paying rent on the arena for the next 25 years... and only reason a a fraction of the concession sales?

Old
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
So the Isles will be paying rent on the arena for the next 25 years... and only reason a a fraction of the concession sales?
My only guess is that they hope to make some major buck on luxury suite sales with city corporations that might be more inclined to buy them in the city versus in the 'burbs.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:55 AM
RayP

Quote:
My only guess is that they hope to make some major buck on luxury suite sales with city corporations that might be more inclined to buy them in the city versus in the 'burbs.
I guess, but is that realistic? I'll be honest, I have only vaguely followed the subject and don't know hold a ton of in depth knowledge on the subject... But this sounds like it is set up for disaster and that there is no way the Isle's can pull a profit on this, especially given how high their rent will be in such a high profile neighborhood.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Cullksinikers

Good for them. The senior citizens in Nassau County didn't want them. Team stays in the region and get to play in a world class, billion-dollar arena.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
I guess, but is that realistic? I'll be honest, I have only vaguely followed the subject and don't know hold a ton of in depth knowledge on the subject... But this sounds like it is set up for disaster and that there is no way the Isle's can pull a profit on this, especially given how high their rent will be in such a high profile neighborhood.

For their sake, they better start getting a lot better very soon in order to make waves beyond simply moving to that borough. They have a few years before that, so if they manage to cobble together a playoff contender by the time they start playing in Barclays, they might luck out and find themselves as the new it thing for corporate sales, especially for Brooklyn- and Queens-based companies.

It'll be an uphill fight, but.... not like they can do much worse than what they have now.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Good for them. The senior citizens in Nassau County didn't want them. Team stays in the region and get to play in a world class, billion-dollar arena.
But that's where the fans that would show up are primarily from by my understanding... Now you're forcing them to take an hour long train ride each way to see a game, in hopes of creating more fans than what you had before, in a completely new area... Which already had a bunch of hockey within a reasonable distance to begin with.

Quote:

For their sake, they better start getting a lot better very soon in order to make waves beyond simply moving to that borough. They have a few years before that, so if they manage to cobble together a playoff contender by the time they start playing in Barclays, they might luck out and find themselves as the new it thing for corporate sales, especially for Brooklyn- and Queens-based companies.

It'll be an uphill fight, but.... not like they can do much worse than what they have now.
Maybe it's just me going off stereotypes, but I don't really see that area as an area dying to get into hockey.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

14.5k capacity is an issue but the luxury suites/favorable game revenue deal and the continued MSG TV deal will make it possibly for the Isles to work economically

Nassau is a dump and most of the game revenue didn't go to Isles due to terrible lease

14.5K in a modern stadium isn't a terrible situation especially in major population area in which they can charge a little more then normal

Old
10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
14.5k capacity is an issue but the luxury suites/favorable game revenue deal and the continued MSG TV deal will make it possibly for the Isles to work economically

Nassau is a dump and most of the game revenue didn't go to Isles due to terrible lease

14.5K in a modern stadium isn't a terrible situation especially in major population area in which they can charge a little more then normal
Isn't Winnipeg making it work in the MTS Centre with only around 15K seats? I think they just have high ticket prices to make up for the extra 3,000 to 6,000-seat deficit they have to a lot of other franchises.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
RayP

Quote:
Isn't Winnipeg making it work in the MTS Centre with only around 15K seats? I think they just have high ticket prices to make up for the extra 3,000 to 6,000-seat deficit they have to a lot of other franchises.
You can't continually have above average ticket places in a place like Winnipeg. First year it works with all the hype and all, but it will fade... Same with Brooklyn, and people in that area will just go see another team if they really want to see hockey that badly.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
But that's where the fans that would show up are primarily from by my understanding... Now you're forcing them to take an hour long train ride each way to see a game, in hopes of creating more fans than what you had before, in a completely new area... Which already had a bunch of hockey within a reasonable distance to begin with.

Maybe it's just me going off stereotypes, but I don't really see that area as an area dying to get into hockey.
No, the senior citizens refused to vote for a new arena in Nassau County from what I understand. The Islanders wanted to stay on Long Island, but Nassau County is predominantly older, so for some reason, based on what having a new arena would do to the area, they didn't like it and voted no. They were basically forced to leave. Brooklyn was the next logical relocation spot.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
You can't continually have above average ticket places in a place like Winnipeg. First year it works with all the hype and all, but it will fade... Same with Brooklyn, and people in that area will just go see another team if they really want to see hockey that badly.
Exactly. That's been the concern. People have said been asking what happens when the whole "they're back" feel goes away and they are just a normal part of Winnipeg with expensive tickets.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:34 AM
RayP

Quote:
No, the senior citizens refused to vote for a new arena in Nassau County from what I understand. The Islanders wanted to stay on Long Island, but Nassau County is predominantly older, so for some reason, based on what having a new arena would do to the area, they didn't like it and voted no. They were basically forced to leave. Brooklyn was the next logical relocation spot.
I get that... but from what I read, the majority of the current fans that actually show for the games live in that general area... and are now being screwed over. Me personally, I'd continue to watch on TV... but I'm not taking an hour long train ride each direction to see a team that left me. I'm sure some of those fans will make the ride... but unless they're a playoff team come 2015, who is going to be their core fans? I'm not sold on the idea that the Brooklyn neighborhood is just going to all of a sudden start supporting a team, when they've already had access to teams that are pretty close. Also, it's not like Jay Z has an ownership stake in this team so that marketability doesn't apply to try and draw fans.

Closed Thread