HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Bernier Back

Old
06-12-2012, 01:18 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Steve Bernier got screwed by a ***** play from Scuderi. The guy is full aware, full aware, that Bernier is coming on the forecheck. He even looks up to see who to make a pass to so he sees Bernier coming like a truck. The guy spins towards the inside to hide away from a incoming missle, miss judged his timing and got his lights knocked out of him.

There is no way a 6'4", 230 pound guy can stop on a dime when he's a fraction of a second away from making his check going full speed from center ice, no way. That rule should be changed for players safety first and foremost.

Don Cherry was telling Scuderi to smarten up, but that according to the rule, they had to call a major. I was sooooooo pissed when I saw that he was getting the boot, they scored 3 ****ing goals on the PP and I left right after for my own game.

What a way to go down. If Lou doesn't resign this kid, cause he'll play his heart out even more then he already is and is 10x better then Boulton or Janssen, I'll be ****ing pissed.

Chin up Bernier, it's not your fault Scuderi is a idiot.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:19 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

If boarding is called on the Kings about 8 seconds earlier for the hit on Gionta, nobody is arguing about a Bernier major and 3 Kings goals that ended the game.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Bernier is actually pretty easily replaceable. Like I said, I'll be happy if he stays, but it won't bother me if he goes. If Lou sense any kind of issue in the lockerroom, he should let him go. That said, if there is a big issue about it with the other guys, even if it's quiet, there is some sort of problem. You can't point to that one play and say it cost them the Cup. You can point to being outplayed for the vast majority of the series and relying on a 40 old goalie to bail you out time and time again.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Magicman

No brains no headaches.

He has played on the "Edge", IE should have been called for more minors in previous games.

Many times players like him think because it's an elimination game he can just run a player. He was stupid/wrong.

All he had to do was make a hockey play, cut off the switch back pass and rotate.

Instead he thought he was going to be a hero by making a big hit.

No way he starts the season in a Devils jersey.

Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Steve Bernier got screwed by a ***** play from Scuderi. The guy is full aware, full aware, that Bernier is coming on the forecheck. He even looks up to see who to make a pass to so he sees Bernier coming like a truck. The guy spins toward the inside to hide away from a incoming missle, miss judge his timing and got his lights knocked out of him.

There is no way a 6'4", 230 pound guy can stop on a dime when he's a fraction of a second away from making his check. That rule should be changed for players safety first and foremost.

Don Cherry was telling Scuderi to smarten up, but that according to rule, they had to call a major. I was sooooooo pissed when I saw that he was getting the boot, they scored 3 ****ing goals on the PP and I left right after for my own game.

What a way to go down. If Lou doesn't resign this kid, cause he'll play his heart out even more then he already is and is 10x better then Boulton or Janssen.

That's what I'm thinking. If this kid is who I think he is, Lou can extract more out of him going forward after this incident. Lou is big on treating players like people as opposed to robots.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
If boarding is called on the Kings about 8 seconds earlier for the hit on Gionta, nobody is arguing about a Bernier major and 3 Kings goals that ended the game.
The Penner punch/elbow on the touchup chase right after was equally bad.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:23 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Someone makes a thread trying to argue the merit of one of our players and we have to deal with this ****?

Not trying to be a dick, but this is not the time. We're still getting over a heartbreaking loss.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:30 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I'm really in shock as to why everyone on TV is "ok" with the hit and aren't making a big issue out of it. I'm not talking broadcasters but ex-NHL'ers. It's a stupid thing to do and can cause major injuries.

If Bernier doesn't finish his hit, like he's done 99.9% of his shifts threw the entire playoffs, Deboer probably benches him. If you're the first guy on the forecheck, you have to finish your hit when you're playing on the 4th line and like I said, Scuderi knew he was coming 5 seconds before he got destroyed.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:36 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Lou stuck by Patrice Cormier when he murdered that kid in Juniors. He understands.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:37 AM
KohoDonuts88

I sent a note to pr@newjerseydevils.com and asked them to forward it to Bernier. Seemed a relatively logical address to use.

EDIT:

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41807

crelations@newjerseydevils.com might be a good choice also

KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:37 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

I'm with both BG and then DATW on this one.

It shouldn't have been an issue because a penalty should have been called before that, and even if that slides then Scuderi is ****ing retarded.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:40 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Don't want him back. Fourth liners are not allowed to be that ****ing stupid. Goodbye and good riddance.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Semak

No, just no. Anonymity on the internet doesn't give you any damn right to come in here in post on this thread.

This is in house. Have a little decency and courtesy.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:44 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
I'm really in shock as to why everyone on TV is "ok" with the hit and aren't making a big issue out of it. I'm not talking broadcasters but ex-NHL'ers. It's a stupid thing to do and can cause major injuries.

If Bernier doesn't finish his hit, like he's done 99.9% of his shifts threw the entire playoffs, Deboer probably benches him. If you're the first guy on the forecheck, you have to finish your hit when you're playing on the 4th line and like I said, Scuderi knew he was coming 5 seconds before he got destroyed.
Don't think this happens, as far as benching. You don't double shift players, unless it's the last period and you're trying to tie it, that early in the game.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
don't think this happens, as far as benching. You don't double shift players, unless it's the last period and you're trying to tie it, that early in the game.
gtfo.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Tundra

Former NHLer Wez Walz is convinced that Bernier didn't have time to slow down:

https://twitter.com/walz3737/status/212352134061109251
Quote:
I've slowed down hit 10 times, no chance for Bernier to stop or change direction.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Totally support him, it was not some outlandish crazy super hit of doom where he went crazy and killed half the team.

Also it just can't negate the fact he was a BIG BIG BIG reason we were even IN the damn finals. Guy was one of our toughest, hardest working guys on the ice from the very start. Not sure we get past Florida without some of his hard work and big hits.

Bring him and the whole damn 4th line back.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:09 AM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Steve Bernier got screwed by a ***** play from Scuderi. The guy is full aware, full aware, that Bernier is coming on the forecheck. He even looks up to see who to make a pass to so he sees Bernier coming like a truck. The guy spins towards the inside to hide away from a incoming missle, miss judged his timing and got his lights knocked out of him.

There is no way a 6'4", 230 pound guy can stop on a dime when he's a fraction of a second away from making his check going full speed from center ice, no way. That rule should be changed for players safety first and foremost.

Don Cherry was telling Scuderi to smarten up, but that according to the rule, they had to call a major. I was sooooooo pissed when I saw that he was getting the boot, they scored 3 ****ing goals on the PP and I left right after for my own game.

What a way to go down. If Lou doesn't resign this kid, cause he'll play his heart out even more then he already is and is 10x better then Boulton or Janssen, I'll be ****ing pissed.

You're preaching to the choir my man. The frame by frame pictures were posted long ago and anyone who thinks Bernier had a chance to let up is delusional and has no idea how fast in which the game they're watching is played.

Look at the first picture Wingman posted. Bernier is coming in full speed on the forecheck and is going to finish his hit. He gets as far as the GOAL LINE before Scuderi turns his back to the play. Anyone that thinks he had time to let up is delusional. Until the last split second of the play bernier saw the number on the side of Scuderi's jersey and wanted to finish his check. He's a 4th liner and his job is to create havoc deep in the offensive zone through turnovers on the forecheck.

Analysts, GMs, commentators, etc throughout the year have commented on this EXACT issue. And look at Bernier's post game comments. He has no other choice than to assume Scuderi is going to continue on his path (as in, along the boards and around the net) so he can finish the hit.

I have absolutely no idea why players do this (re: stopping and turning their back to the forechecker). Scuderi is an idiot for putting himself in that position.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
You're preaching to the choir my man. The frame by frame pictures were posted long ago and anyone who thinks Bernier had a chance to let up is delusional and has no idea how fast in which the game they're watching is played.

Look at the first picture Wingman posted. Bernier is coming in full speed on the forecheck and is going to finish his hit. He gets as far as the GOAL LINE before Scuderi turns his back to the play. Anyone that thinks he had time to let up is delusional. Until the last split second of the play bernier saw the number on the side of Scuderi's jersey and wanted to finish his check. He's a 4th liner and his job is to create havoc deep in the offensive zone through turnovers on the forecheck.

Analysts, GMs, commentators, etc throughout the year have commented on this EXACT issue. And look at Bernier's post game comments. He has no other choice than to assume Scuderi is going to continue on his path (as in, along the boards and around the net) so he can finish the hit.

I have absolutely no idea why players do this (re: stopping and turning their back to the forechecker). Scuderi is an idiot for putting himself in that position.
Just 1 in a hundred crap things to line up about tonight, but ya...THIS

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:18 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Watching TSN Sportcenter and Ward is crapping on Bernier for being a player that doesn't use his brain in key situations, Ferraro was sort of neutral and McKenzie says they made the proper call.

I'm completely baffled that they haven't even touched the subject about Scuderi turning into the incoming hit while making himself ULTRA vulnerable. I guess I' crazy cause NHL Network aren't talking about it, TSN isn't either and god help me if Kypreos agrees with me and speak of the Devil.... he's agreeing with us, hell has frozen over my friends

If I would've been in Bernier's place, I would've called out Scuderi for *****ing out of a hit butat the end of the day, he did the good thing. Parise didn't really back up the guy, wich is pretty sad in all honesty. I would've liked for him to be as fired up then we all are but what you do you want to do.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 06-12-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old
06-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Fayne Staley
Sather is better

Theo Fleury not happy lol
Theo Fleury ‏@TheoFleury14

What a ****** ending to a great playoffs. A hit like that in the old days would've got you the Conn Smythe trophy.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:28 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Happy to see ex-players who aren't payed by heavy broadcasting networks, speaking the truth.

Stain on you NHL for giving us a pathetic ending to something that could've been magical. The Kings were really flying, so not saying we would've won game #6, but they ripped our heart out halfway threw the 1st and the "fat breasted lady" started signing.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:33 AM
kiwidevil

That is such a soft check to be a major. There is zero aggression in the hit and Scuderi learned from the Brown "turn just before boarding call" book.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
GOD IT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END that not a single one of these clowns on NHL network will challenge this.

C'mon Weight/Weekes, step the **** up. He was at the ****ing goal line coming in at full speed before Scuderi made a boneheaded play and turned.

****ing pathetic.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

IMO, the hit itself should have been a double minor or major. I have a major issue though with how Scuderi set Bernier up for that. It was a bad hit, easily boarding.. but I think Scuderi pulled one over on Bernier and put his team getting a pivotal PP above his own health.

He clearly looked over his shoulder, saw Bernier coming full speed and honestly, I think he thought "Screw it, I'm going to take a beating here and draw a powerplay in the Stanley Cup Finals."

Scuderi fell to the ground, looked up at the ref to make sure he got the call, then proceeded to lay down... no call and he probably just skates off to the bench. He was bleeding, but that's nothing more than a few stitches. I doubt he even broke his nose.

Bernier shouldn't have went in flying like that.. but at the same time, players should not be able to sacrifice their bodies like that for the sake of drawing a powerplay... shouldn't be that easy for their own health.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote