HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Bring Bernier Back

Old
06-12-2012, 01:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
GOD IT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END that not a single one of these clowns on NHL network will challenge this.

C'mon Weight/Weekes, step the **** up. He was at the ****ing goal line coming in at full speed before Scuderi made a boneheaded play and turned.

****ing pathetic.
see post #95

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i agree with many of the sentiments here. scuderi turned into the hit and bernier had no chance to stop considering how big he is and that he was going at full speed. it was a penalty for sure, but a 5 minute major is just excessive in that game. a double minor at the most.

bernier hits and hits hard, that's the player he is.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:51 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
IMO, the hit itself should have been a double minor or major. I have a major issue though with how Scuderi set Bernier up for that. It was a bad hit, easily boarding.. but I think Scuderi pulled one over on Bernier and put his team getting a pivotal PP above his own health.

He clearly looked over his shoulder, saw Bernier coming full speed and honestly, I think he thought "Screw it, I'm going to take a beating here and draw a powerplay in the Stanley Cup Finals."

Scuderi fell to the ground, looked up at the ref to make sure he got the call, then proceeded to lay down... no call and he probably just skates off to the bench. He was bleeding, but that's nothing more than a few stitches. I doubt he even broke his nose.

Bernier shouldn't have went in flying like that.. but at the same time, players should not be able to sacrifice their bodies like that for the sake of drawing a powerplay... shouldn't be that easy for their own health.
I believe every team and virtually every player in the league does this now. Not just with boarding, but with everything. Some teams more than others. The Devils are terrible at it, but some teams have mastered it. Why? Because it pays to do it. The absolute worst that can happen is matching minors, and 99% of the time the dive is not called. It will turn to soccer levels soon.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:58 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 0
We finally have a solid 4th line that does not suck at hockey. In fact that line was our best on a couple of games during this run. Sure i want Bernier back at a reasonable price, one stupid mistake does not change it.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:29 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Support this.

Especially watching him speak now, looks like he spent the last two hours crying his eyes out.
I bet he was. When he was with Vancouver, he got a bad go of it because he was basically slotted in to be something he's not able to be. The thing he did, though, was really obviously care a whole lot.

I feel awful for him because, uite frankly, dude didn't even really make a mistake. He went in hard to make a routine hit on the forecheck, and the guy turned late enough that there was nothing he could do. It's a bad break. He was doing what basically every coach in the world would tell him to do.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:39 AM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I bet he was. When he was with Vancouver, he got a bad go of it because he was basically slotted in to be something he's not able to be. The thing he did, though, was really obviously care a whole lot.

I feel awful for him because, uite frankly, dude didn't even really make a mistake. He went in hard to make a routine hit on the forecheck, and the guy turned late enough that there was nothing he could do. It's a bad break. He was doing what basically every coach in the world would tell him to do.
But its good if he wants to make up for it, he'll be twice the player next season that he was this season

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:44 AM
slammer

he did so much in all the games...check wasn't too clever, but it wasn't 5 mins too...so, we need to give him respect for all he did

re-sign!

slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:45 AM
SatanIsland4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
I sent a note to pr@newjerseydevils.com and asked them to forward it to Bernier. Seemed a relatively logical address to use.

EDIT:

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41807

crelations@newjerseydevils.com might be a good choice also
Just sent a letter to pr as well I hope he gets it. We may not have won the cup but I've never been prouder to be a Devils fan. This 4th line was a pleasure to watch. Can't wait till October.

SatanIsland4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Karus

I would bring him back without hesitation. I don't fault him for not winning the Cup, because the team was down three games to null to start the series and it was almost impossible to overcome that deficit. After all he is a fourth liner and he performed better than some of our higher end guys during the playoffs.

Karus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I don't want him back and I doubt he's brought back after the debacle yesterday. His play tailed off after the Panthers series anyway.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:37 AM
lboogie42*

well just think. if our pk was anywhere close to being as dominant as it was in the regular season, we wouldnt be having this discussion right now. and imo, bernier was the glue to the fourth line. sure he didnt score as much as carter and gio, but without him, they wouldnt have much going because bernier made alot of the passes and helped cycle the puck. its like having henrique in the middle of kovy and parise. hes the reason why that line was so good.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Barcelonian Devil

Send a message via MSN to Barcelonian Devil
I'd be happy if he is re-signed, he's still fairly young and will definitely learn from this.

Barcelonian Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Unagi

Happy to see support for Bernier. At first I was really pissed. But he battled hard the hole playoffs and I liked it.

He wasn't the reason the Devils lost. The series was lost in the first 2 games. And because the 100 million man couldn't not score to save his life.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:11 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
because the 100 million man couldn't not score to save his life.
You mean the man who led the playoffs in scoring at one point? The guy playing with a herniated disc the size of a football in his back?

Get lost, this is not the thread for backhanded comments.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:22 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

The circumstances that led to the hit were unfortunate. *Once* he committed to the hit and, as a result, didn't decelerate at all, he was at the mercy of Scuderi's decision and there was little to no chance of mitigating the hit. But going in full bore in that situation was a questionable decision to start with.

That said... I still can't fathom how the refs in an elimination game, knowing they possibly missed a boarding call on Stoll, and about to drop a Major + Game on Bernier, do *not* call the rough from Penner...

Overall Kings were better last night and there's no excuse for the PK to wilt so badly under the ensuing man-advantage, but I just can't abide the play by the officiating crew last night.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

I truly didn't want him back, even before last night. The fact is that he often took dumb penalties. He did it again last night. His skillset is easily replaceable.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
I truly didn't want him back, even before last night. The fact is that he often took dumb penalties. He did it again last night. His skillset is easily replaceable.
Gionta and Carter carried the burden of the 4th line imo. That was my thought before last night and intent or not I gotta say that's a penalty regardless. When you skate into the danger zone on the forecheck like that you have to know there's a chance the D will reverse direction. He meant well but wasn't sharp on the execution of the forecheck. High risk, low reward hit and it cost him.

Too bad the PK couldn't do anything to bail him out.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:53 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

I absolutely want him back. He didn't score the goals that Gio or Carter did, but his physicality and size did help create some space for that line. His stats weren't as impressive as the other two, but he was an essential part of that line succeeding.

If he can learn to settle down a bit, because he did often take runs at people and take penalties because of it, he'd be an absolutely perfect bottom 6 player.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:00 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
His post game was the saddest thing I've watched in a long time. Felt bad for the guy.

I liked Bernier and if it weren't for him, we might not have gotten as far as we did. I'm fine with him coming back. He wasn't the one who lost it for us. It's a team game...

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:01 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Had he left his feet he would have deserved the major and all the scorn that goes with being a goat. But he didnt leave his feet and had no time to turn out of the hit.

I'm more upset with the linesmen picking Volchenkov on the 4th goal. If the score is 3-1 after 2 periods we really had a legit shot to come back. 4-1 there was no chance.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:02 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I dont want Bernier back for one simple reason. Aside from the Florida Panthers he couldnt score to save his life.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

I feel so bad for the guy. I mean, he's gotta feel like crap right now. Only thing worse would be, maybe scoring in your own net in OT or something.

At the time I was cheering the hit and assumed the penalty call was for the hit on Gionta up ice. I was like, yay a PP. Then I was like, WTF??

I would have been sort of okay with a double minor, but a 5-min + game misconduct?? Sometimes I feel like I just don't understand the rules of hockey anymore.

Luke3026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:13 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

I figured it'd end up a 5 minute major and a game because of the blood and everything. I don't think double minors exist for boarding. I think it's either a minor or a major and if it's a major, it's usually a game misconduct.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Goose Huckabee

Really, really feel for the guy. Tough thing to get past. I guess the only silver lining he has is he was playing for the Devils and not some Cup-starved team in a hockey crazed city, like the Leafs. Can you ****ing imagine...

However, this was something you could have almost seen coming. He has been throwing hits like that basically every other game all playoffs, and I've stood up and cheered probably every time. Hits like that send a message and generate momentum, but they certainly put you at the mercy of refs' imperfect interpretation of the rules, and last night it was a ******* cobra bite in the ass.

The refs, though... it's hard to even think about it because it makes me so mad... to make that decision at that point in a game 6 of the finals is insane. My feeling is the determination was 5 and a game once they saw Scuderi's blood and that he stayed down, but, as I understand the rules, the hit itself has to warrant the 5 before the blood/injury mandates the automatic game, and that was no major penalty. Especially the way hits like that have been called all playoffs... It was probably more a charge than it was a board, and either way it should have been a minor by itself with the blood kicking it up to a double. He was not defenseless and is responsible for putting himself in the position he did

And, of course, you can take your pick as to which penalty you want to call on the Kings on the same play... bottom line, a level-headed ref that was somewhat circumspect of the situation and potential impact this call could have on the game would have called matching penalties with an extra 2 to Bernier for the blood, so 2 minutes 4 on 4 and then a 2 minute powerplay for the Kings. That's fair and doesn't potentially undo an entire team's 100+ games of effort with a subjective judgment call.

Good. ****ing. God.

I would take Bernier back if for nothing else than to give the guy his chance at redemption. He's a good 4th liner and you know he'll give anything for this team to try to atone for his mistake. The fact he'd often be bumped up into the top 3 lines at the end of games tells you all you need to know about what DeBoer's opinion of him is.

Goose Huckabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:22 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I don't know, maybe i'm just a little goofy in the head but I kinda blame the penalty kill for allowing 3 goals in 5 minutes. Penalty kill in the playoffs compared to regular season was a joke. couldn't win a faceoff in the defensive zone if their lives depended on it. You think the 2000 or 2003 team lets this happen? Ok, maybe Kings score one goal if Holik or Madden and Pandolfo are out there killing the penalty, not 3.

The team's Achilles heal all season long was the inability to win key faceoffs. It nearly cost them the Florida series, and it cost them in this series. Win that first faceoff on the 5 minute major and the Kings dont score 3 times in 5 minutes.

Any by the way, Brodeur was responsible for the 3rd goal. Championship goalies don't give up that softy, and at this stage of his career Marty is not a championship goalie. I think for next year it's time to turn the page.