HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Meet the Team *AT THE ROCK* 4PM thread...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 08:04 PM
  #451
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
I heard the plan was for Hoboken. Would be cool.
Nah, the team plays in Newark, a parade would need to be in Newark.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:25 PM
  #452
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Nah, the team plays in Newark, a parade would need to be in Newark.
They're called the NJ Devils, not the Newark Devils. I think the appeal of having it in Hoboken with NYC as the backdrop, not to mention eateries and bars would be better than doing it down Broad St. which would bring out the crackheads & misfits in masses.

Last thing I think this team would need is another parking lot parade

I could imagine a parade starting in Hoboken and maybe a celebration later moving to Championship Plaza by the Rock. They could even do it in a cool way where they take a special train to Newark Penn and continue the festivities there to Championship plaza. Kind of like traveling across Jersey with the trophy.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:30 PM
  #453
Basement Cat
RIP Loko
 
Basement Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA!!!
Country: Poland
Posts: 10,448
vCash: 500
Idk, a big part of them going to Newark, at least to me, was to help bring the city back. The Rock being built has certainly helped the surrounding area there and it's only getting better. It would be nice to hold a big parade in Newark with the local residents having pride in their city. Also, having thousands of people there would only help the local businesses in the area.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  #454
One7nine
Registered User
 
One7nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neptune, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Nah, the team plays in Newark, a parade would need to be in Newark.
I heard Hoboken as well

One7nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  #455
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Wasn't there but through reading, the most underrated part of the gathering was the loud cheer Bernier got. So glad that happened.

Anyone holding animosity towards him is ****ing clown shoes.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
  #456
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Wasn't there but through reading, the most underrated part of the gathering was the loud cheer Bernier got. So glad that happened.

Anyone holding animosity towards him is ****ing clown shoes.
I can't believe anyone would even think to blame him, terrible call by the refs

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
  #457
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Wasn't there but through reading, the most underrated part of the gathering was the loud cheer Bernier got. So glad that happened.

Anyone holding animosity towards him is ****ing clown shoes.
Bernier said he really appreciated the reception he got, and other players commented on how they liked how supportive the fans were.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
  #458
jjp24Devils
Captain Sal
 
jjp24Devils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Bernier said he really appreciated the reception he got, and other players commented on how they liked how supportive the fans were.
The sad thing is, I'm sure some people will boo Bernier and think of him as "the man who lost the cup for the Devils" the next time he is at the Rock, regardless of whether or not he is with the Devils or some other team.

jjp24Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
  #459
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Bernier didn't lose the cup. The refs gave us the type of penalty that I never see happen in the playoffs. This allowed LA to rack em up like they were playing NHL 12.

4 min double minor & this would have been a different game. Devils go into the second down a goal, tied or maybe even up a goal.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:39 PM
  #460
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Idk, a big part of them going to Newark, at least to me, was to help bring the city back. The Rock being built has certainly helped the surrounding area there and it's only getting better. It would be nice to hold a big parade in Newark with the local residents having pride in their city. Also, having thousands of people there would only help the local businesses in the area.
Yeah I wouldn't want the team/Newark to miss out on that too, I love what the area around the rock has turned into. That's why maybe doing a parade in Hoboken, then hopping on a train and finishing the ceremony in Newark might be the best of both worlds.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:43 PM
  #461
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
I heard the plan was for Hoboken. Would be cool.
No chance it would not be anywhere other than Downtown Newark.
And rightfully so, it would belong there on Mulberry Street.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:46 PM
  #462
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****
 
Devils Pride 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Although it would never happen, a parade through Manasquan or Point Pleasant would be awesome and a great touch to making the shore a Devils stronghold.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:48 PM
  #463
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Pride 26 View Post
Although it would never happen, a parade through Manasquan or Point Pleasant would be awesome and a great touch to making the shore a Devils stronghold.
This one might be a stretch

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
  #464
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****
 
Devils Pride 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
This one might be a stretch
Oh without a doubt it is, only saying this for selfish entertainment purposes haha. Down Arnold Ave in Point or Main street in Manasquan would be unreal.

Back in 2000 they had the cup on the boardwalk in Belmar. I was only eight then but it ranks up there in the top childhood memories.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
  #465
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Pride 26 View Post
Oh without a doubt it is, only saying this for selfish entertainment purposes haha. Down Arnold Ave in Point or Main street in Manasquan would be unreal.

Back in 2000 they had the cup on the boardwalk in Belmar. I was only eight then but it ranks up there in the top childhood memories.
A few years ago Vanderbeek did a "Jersey Tour" at many stops in NJ in hopes of selling season tickets.

How cool would it be if the Devils made a few stops around NJ the days following a Cup win.
Main parade on Mulberry St of course with the entire team, then in the next few days do Hoboken, Morristown, Shore, and a few others with the Cup and some players/coaches.

Would be incredible.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
  #466
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,181
vCash: 500
One of my best friends lives in Manasquan, and it seems like most people like Philly teams there. Not sure about hockey, but down there on his block people got Eagles flags, and banners, and phillies stuff everywhere. Even on the boardwalks in Point, and Seaside I always saw Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles stuff in the shops. There are some Jersey/New York teams though.

In Wildwood, and Ocean City forget about it. Deeply in Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and Philly sports territory.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
  #467
severian
Registered User
 
severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westfield
Country: United States
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
One of my best friends lives in Manasquan, and it seems like most people like Philly teams there. Not sure about hockey, but down there on his block people got Eagles flags, and banners, and phillies stuff everywhere. Even on the boardwalks in Point, and Seaside I always saw Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles stuff in the shops. There are some Jersey/New York teams though.

In Wildwood, and Ocean City forget about it. Deeply in Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and Philly sports territory.
I rarely see Philly stuff in pt pleasant. Seaside yes but that makes sense since that town is filthy dump.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:04 PM
  #468
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****
 
Devils Pride 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
A few years ago Vanderbeek did a "Jersey Tour" at many stops in NJ in hopes of selling season tickets.

How cool would it be if the Devils made a few stops around NJ the days following a Cup win.
Main parade on Mulberry St of course with the entire team, then in the next few days do Hoboken, Morristown, Shore, and a few others with the Cup and some players/coaches.

Would be incredible.
Well there's only one thing left to do...

Assuming your from Monmouth also (not sure if the Mo is for Monmouth, Morris, or something else haha), saw an all time high of Devils apparel being worn these playoffs around here. Especially during the ecf. Felt pretty awesome to see so many people excited about the Devils.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:04 PM
  #469
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
One of my best friends lives in Manasquan, and it seems like most people like Philly teams there. Not sure about hockey, but down there on his block people got Eagles flags, and banners, and phillies stuff everywhere. Even on the boardwalks in Point, and Seaside I always saw Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles stuff in the shops. There are some Jersey/New York teams though.

In Wildwood, and Ocean City forget about it. Deeply in Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and Philly sports territory.
Obviously Wildwood/OC since they only get Philly tv stations.

But people who live year round in the Squan/Point/Brick area clearly pro-NJ/NY compared to Philly when it comes to sports teams.

It's a topic that has been discussed and validated by many people from this board that live in that area, plus when I go to the Point it's overwhelming more Devils/Yankees/Mets/Giants/Jets gear being worn by folks.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:11 AM
  #470
AE
Registered User
 
AE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddev View Post
How do you say shotgun in Swedish ?
Using "shotgun" is perfectly fine in Swedish, it's been adopted because Swedish doesn't have word with the same meaning.
A more traditional Swedish way to claim the front passenger seat would be, "pax för framsätet" (lit. dibs on the front seat). But since it's several words and that takes time to say, in a game where speed is the most important thing, you should really stick to "shotgun" when battling a Swedish speaking person for the seat.

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:59 AM
  #471
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,964
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
No chance it would not be anywhere other than Downtown Newark.
And rightfully so, it would belong there on Mulberry Street.
Given the strained relationship between JVB and Booker. I wouldn't be shocked at all if JVB was going to have it in Hoboken.

After all the Devils wanted to go to Hoboken and Newark was the back-up plan.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:15 AM
  #472
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,336
vCash: 500
how do you say "dibs on top-bunk"?

"pax för tøppebünkk"?

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:55 AM
  #473
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils
 
StvBroDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
I rarely see Philly stuff in pt pleasant. Seaside yes but that makes sense since that town is filthy dump.
Seaside HTS might be a dump the park is not. Stay in Manhattan

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
  #474
Marv4Life
Worth billions...
 
Marv4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SEPA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Given the strained relationship between JVB and Booker. I wouldn't be shocked at all if JVB was going to have it in Hoboken.

After all the Devils wanted to go to Hoboken and Newark was the back-up plan.
McMullen wanted to go to Hoboken, which is too NYCish for "Jersey's Team". There was just a Portuguese festival on Ferry Street in which 250,000 showed up. I'm sure Booker would have thought of something.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:16 AM
  #475
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Given the strained relationship between JVB and Booker. I wouldn't be shocked at all if JVB was going to have it in Hoboken.

After all the Devils wanted to go to Hoboken and Newark was the back-up plan.
The late John McMullen wanted to go to Hoboken, thankfully that did not happen.
It would have been a nightmare for most fans to commute to games.

It would have been a HUGE mistake if JVB would have had it anywhere outside of Mulberry Street. Start the parade by Kinney St, right by The Rock up to NJPAC, then back down again to end with a rally in Champ Plaza.

The local bar owners would have been royally PO'd and public opinion by Newark residents would have swayed from support of JVB to Booker.

Hoboken's a nice town but the Devils home is by The Rock in Newark.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.