HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Meet the Team *AT THE ROCK* 4PM thread...

Old
06-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

vCash: 500
Wow, I had no idea Hoboken was an option for the new arena. Damn, that would have been a hell of a lot easier commute (for me at least), straight shot down the Spring Valley line.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

An extra 15-20 minutes from Secaucus isn't a big deal.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Hoboken would have been a nightmare parking wise for an arena...and taking a train is really not worth it.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
McMullen wanted to go to Hoboken, which is too NYCish for "Jersey's Team". There was just a Portuguese festival on Ferry Street in which 250,000 showed up. I'm sure Booker would have thought of something.
Newark is very NYCish as well. One can easily mistake the area around the rock for NYC.

I like this Ferry St idea, that actually sounds interesting!

Finally, Hoboken is not a commute nightmare. If the arena was in Hoboken, most of us wouldn't have to use the secaucus junction & just go direct to Hobo. Parking would be solved with a parking garage. I travel to & park in Hoboken all the time and never have a problem with traffic & always find parking instantly. It's just as bad as the area around the Rock, maybe a little less.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Idk, a big part of them going to Newark, at least to me, was to help bring the city back. The Rock being built has certainly helped the surrounding area there and it's only getting better. It would be nice to hold a big parade in Newark with the local residents having pride in their city. Also, having thousands of people there would only help the local businesses in the area.
That's what they always tell people to get mega real estate deals done. The truth of the economics on these things tends to result largely in a "meh", years later. As for Chambers? Maybe he really did believe, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Bernier didn't lose the cup. The refs gave us the type of penalty that I never see happen in the playoffs. This allowed LA to rack em up like they were playing NHL 12.

4 min double minor & this would have been a different game. Devils go into the second down a goal, tied or maybe even up a goal.
Didnt the Kings score on both the first two, 2 minute chunks? In other words, I think it would have been 2-0 Kings (still a big difference from 3-0).

In my mind, the BIGGER call was not calling the boarding of Gio just a few seconds before the Bernier boarding, because if the proper call is made Bernier's penalty doesnt happen, and the period ends 0-0 or maybe even 1-0 Devils (though 1-0 Devils is unlikely as they would have actually had to score on a powerplay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
Using "shotgun" is perfectly fine in Swedish, it's been adopted because Swedish doesn't have word with the same meaning.
That's interesting, does the average Swedish person know why it's called "shotgun"?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Hoboken might not be a nightmare for you, but for some it would be. We've had very little issues getting to Newark (especially knowing back roads) and I find Hoboken to be an issue every time I'm down there in regards to parking.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Newark is very NYCish as well. One can easily mistake the area around the rock for NYC.

I like this Ferry St idea, that actually sounds interesting!

Finally, Hoboken is not a commute nightmare. If the arena was in Hoboken, most of us wouldn't have to use the secaucus junction & just go direct to Hobo. Parking would be solved with a parking garage. I travel to & park in Hoboken all the time and never have a problem with traffic & always find parking instantly. It's just as bad as the area around the Rock, maybe a little less.
Newark is the most accessible city in NJ via car/train/bus.

There are many more parking lots around The Rock that what Hoboken can offer.

Hoboken may be an easier commute for some, but for most fans Newark is a much easier and quicker to get to.

It's a moot point anyway.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:53 AM
njdevil26

For people that have to drive Hoboken would be a nightmare. You'll be sitting in Holland Tunnel/Tonnele Ave/construction traffic all night. We'd have to resurrect my idea of starting weeknight games at 8pm which I know CJ hates haha. Although given how nice downtown Hoboken is, it would have been cool.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
For people that have to drive Hoboken would be a nightmare. You'll be sitting in Holland Tunnel/Tonnele Ave/construction traffic all night. We'd have to resurrect my idea of starting weeknight games at 8pm which I know CJ hates haha. Although given how nice downtown Hoboken is, it would have been cool.
Agreed. Parking/driving would be an absolute nightmare, but the atmosphere would be great (nothing against Newark, I love it).

Old
06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
Agreed. Parking/driving would be an absolute nightmare, but the atmosphere would be great (nothing against Newark, I love it).
The atmosphere around The Rock during this playoff run was electric and lots of fun.
Between Edison Place and Champ Plaza, with the addition of Dino BBQ, a true hockey atmosphere before and after games.

And we're in the infancy of the area being built up.
There are LOTS of plans in the works for more things on Edison Place, Market Street and Lafayette/Mulberry.

Plus I heard we may hear about a buyer for the old Port 44 bar.

In 10 years the area around The Rock will look much different and for the better.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

What ever happened to the proposed Triangle Park and the "Link"?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Though in blueprint form, I never believe it was serious. And I dont believe it will ever happen. The real estate is too valuable to not monetize.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:15 AM
AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
how do you say "dibs on top-bunk"?

"pax för tøppebünkk"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fULfwb2X4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cw8cKQ6SN0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOxYRobDDHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyTREVzRwI

That'll get you started

Most guys tend to think it's hilarious that poison and marriage is the same word in swedish

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Though in blueprint form, I never believe it was serious. And I dont believe it will ever happen. The real estate is too valuable to not monetize.
The dumpy used car lot right off Route 21 was finally bought out by the Devils.
So the land from Route 21 all the way up to the parking lots facing the big screen at The Rock are available for development.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That's interesting, does the average Swedish person know why it's called "shotgun"?
No, i wouldn't think so.
It's used primarily due to people watching american movies. And having a man riding shotgun isn't something you've needed in Swedish history either, probably needs some explaining to the average Swede.

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
A high-falutin huckster and hustler.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

This is what the arena would have looked like had it been built in Hoboken

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/12/ny...n-hoboken.html

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Devils86

If they would have build it in Hoboken even more people would take the train. I have no direct access to Newark penn. I have to drive to MSU get a 527 train that gets me into Broad St. station, take a bus that lets you out on Broad St. and gets me in at just before 7 PM and back is worse. Part of the plan was to build a huge parking lot up top of Observer Way and run a lite rail down. Everyone thought parking would be a nightmare at the Rock and it is no issue what so ever. So we will never know but imagine Washington St on game days..would have been amazing.

And a sign that the Apocolpyse is near, the bottom of Washington St has been renames Carlo's Bakery Way...Good God

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Wow that looks sick. I absolutely love Hoboken, but the parking blows something fierce. I'd want nothing to do with that gong show on game days.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Just wanted to say you guys should be proud of that. Really cool that overnight a random suggestion (maybe half in jest) turned into a real event that brought out several hundred people. Really cool

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
sddev

Quote:
Using "shotgun" is perfectly fine in Swedish, it's been adopted because Swedish doesn't have word with the same meaning.
A more traditional Swedish way to claim the front passenger seat would be, "pax för framsätet" (lit. dibs on the front seat). But since it's several words and that takes time to say, in a game where speed is the most important thing, you should really stick to "shotgun" when battling a Swedish speaking person for the seat.
Ha. Good to know.

sddev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fULfwb2X4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cw8cKQ6SN0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOxYRobDDHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyTREVzRwI

That'll get you started

Most guys tend to think it's hilarious that poison and marriage is the same word in swedish
It isn't though. Poison=gift. Marriage=giftermål/äktenskap

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
If they would have build it in Hoboken even more people would take the train. I have no direct access to Newark penn. I have to drive to MSU get a 527 train that gets me into Broad St. station, take a bus that lets you out on Broad St. and gets me in at just before 7 PM and back is worse.
You could take the subway from Grove Street in Bloomfield straight into Penn Station instead of using the Boonton Line. I've seen fans do this more recently and I bet some of them live near the Boonton Line.

The bulk of the fans aren't from Bergen County(if they were they wouldn't have moved), they're from Central Jersey from Route 22 south. Instead of a 1-seat ride they'd have to switch at Secaucus(which has infrequent service to Hoboken before 7pm) or at Penn and take at least 2 PATH trains over. Good luck doing that 40+ times a year. And logistically it made no sense to put an arena there. Think Barclays without the subway service. Won't be a nightmare just for fans.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
It isn't though. Poison=gift. Marriage=giftermål/äktenskap
edit: ah forget it. lol

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
You could take the subway from Grove Street in Bloomfield straight into Penn Station instead of using the Boonton Line. I've seen fans do this more recently and I bet some of them live near the Boonton Line.

The bulk of the fans aren't from Bergen County(if they were they wouldn't have moved), they're from Central Jersey from Route 22 south. Instead of a 1-seat ride they'd have to switch at Secaucus(which has infrequent service to Hoboken before 7pm) or at Penn and take at least 2 PATH trains over. Good luck doing that 40+ times a year. And logistically it made no sense to put an arena there. Think Barclays without the subway service. Won't be a nightmare just for fans.
Might as well just drive to newark..And would argue you fan assessment. You have a huge bulk of fans from Essex( especially west essex. millburn,caldwell) Passaic Cty and Morris Cty, Not every fan is from Summit or Chatham

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote