HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part VIII)

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2012, 09:17 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yauger27 View Post
Thanks a lot! Glad to be here. Who else does Colorado have that would be of interest in a 2 on 2 trade?
I personally wouldn't mind if Tyson Barrie was included in this deal somehow. Outside of him...I was interested in David Jones, but not for four years at 4mil per. Stastny and O'Reilly are also attractive...but that's quite a bit to be asking. I'm not sure about the rest of the roster.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:38 PM
yauger27
Long Time Lurker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I personally wouldn't mind if Tyson Barrie was included in this deal somehow. Outside of him...I was interested in David Jones, but not for four years at 4mil per. Stastny and O'Reilly are also attractive...but that's quite a bit to be asking. I'm not sure about the rest of the roster.
I think Barrie would be a great addition. Stastny or O'Reilly would be great too, but that's way too much to be asking for. Out of the Kane deals I've heard this seems the most realistic and in my opinion the best.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
By the start of the season,Kane will be 21 and Okposo 24.

Kane's had full seasons of 14 goals,19 goals and 30 goals.
Okposo's had full seasons of 18 goals,19 goals and 24 goals.

Okposo's signed to a team friendly deal.No interest in move 4th overall+ Okposo for Kane.
Okposo seems to be settling in to a 20 to 25 goal scorer, at this point in his young career. You left out Okposo's recent 1/2 season numbers - with 5 goals - which had many calling him a bust, and led to the cap friendly contract.

Kane's goal totals continue to increase each year and he has a much higher ceiling as a goal scorer than Okposo. Playing with Tavares, Kane could be a 40+ scorer.

Jets might have to throw in a later round pick, but it wouldn't be too much.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
The good news Stej is this time we have the comfort of knowing its not true. Ladd, Slates, Bogo, Wheels etc etc have and will (IMHO) all commit long term to being here because they like the market. That is a heck of a talent base and lots more will follow. We may not be a "right fit" for Kane or attract the top few UFA's but it is my sense Chevy doesn't want to overpay anyways. Its about cultural fit we don't need everyone to agree or love it here we just need 21 of them that can get us a cup.....that we can do.

In all seriousness we have good ownership this time around and a great fanbase.....we will be just fine.
Exactly ps. Well said, as always.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
It's always been about more thank Chicken wings Huff. Hank talked me off the ledge on this topic a while back. he had a nice post based on a "real world view" that not every guy is going to fit in and be popular and there is room for a diva on any team if he can produce at an elite level. This is probably not all that uncommon you hear rumors about guys like Kessel etc.

Did I get that right Hank?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said something along those lines.

More to the point, ****** and entitled attitudes can be mitigated by a strong locker rooms that keep focus on the task at hand, namely getting it done on the ice. I don't think everyone being best friends with each other is a prerequisite for winning. Problems arise when a room lacks a true sense of leadership, and the bad apples start creating a divisive locker room.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:32 PM
TCsmyth

Off the Kane topic for minute, do you guys know of any update on Buff's legal issues?

Old
06-16-2012, 10:37 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Off the Kane topic for minute, do you guys know of any update on Buff's legal issues?
I hadn't heard anything about it, but I imagine it gets tossed. OCD had e ouch dealings with legal system to know that being kinda sorta suspicious and acting weird is not chargeable. IMO, from the info that I know, he passed a breathalyzer and refused a blood test, I don't think that's guilty beyond a reason doubt.

However it is the states, and he is African American(at least partially so), so who knows what can happen.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:42 PM
sully1410

You know what?

I don't think it's cool that now that there is a rumor that Kane is available that all the other teams want to trade with us now.

Ohhhh the OUTRAGE!!!!

Sorry guys, I'm bored.

But seriously...what's up with that? We have good players.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Huffer

Quote:
It's always been about more thank Chicken wings Huff. Hank talked me off the ledge on this topic a while back. he had a nice post based on a "real world view" that not every guy is going to fit in and be popular and there is room for a diva on any team if he can produce at an elite level. This is probably not all that uncommon you hear rumors about guys like Kessel etc.

IF you are saying that not everyone on the team needs to go out for wings to be successful I can agree to a point.

But they still have to "respect" each other, and willingly go to war with each other.

IF Kane is not getting that from his teammates then it is a problem IMO.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Glad to be here. Who else does Colorado have that would be of interest in a 2 on 2 trade?
Like I Posted in the Kane thread, If Kane and Duchene are pretty close, and Enstrom is also involved, it would take more than just Elliot or Barrie alone.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Oiler fan coming to kick you in the junk and ruffle your feathers. I won't lie to you and say i come in peace.

Is it true Evander Kane is looking to move out of Winnipeg?

What do you think of getting the frist overall from Edmonton in exchange for Evander Kane? If you want Khabibulin it might rekindle some fan interest as well since Pavelec may flee back to his homeland. Are we close here to being able to do something?

What are the thoughts of Jets nation on this possibility?
If Kane truly wants out of Winnipeg, I seriously he would want to land in Edmonton, practically our sister city with EVEN MORE franchise drama

Old
06-16-2012, 11:24 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Like I Posted in the Kane thread, If Kane and Duchene are pretty close, and Enstrom is also involved, it would take more than just Elliot or Barrie alone.
I agree.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Well, just for fun I decided to do a quick browse around HF and see what other boards were saying about this tweet from Lavoie. Good lord, I wish I hadn't. The synopsis:

1) Not only is Kane definitely being traded, but he's being traded for [insert B grade prospect] and [insert garbage player]

2) Kane is a vile person who probably kicks puppies in his spare time

3) Winnipeg sucks, nobody wants to play there. Their yokel fans and cold climate are forcing him (oh, don't forget about Burmi and Pavelec) to flee

4) Jets will never get maximum value, because (wait for it...) the Jets are dealing from a position of weakness with everyone knowing he wants out

5) Did I mention Winnipeg sucks?

While I don't believe that what Lavoie has tweeted is total BS, I believe it also is being taken completely and totally out of context. The only context it has been framed within is that Evander wants out of this wretched hellhole. What I'm taking this tweet to mean is that Kane and his agent are going to try and be aggressive with their contract demands, and that this "he won't negotiate" rumour gives them a form of virtual leverage that RFAs normally don't have.

Everyone keeps citing the Turris holdout from this past season as the blueprint for what Kane will do, with the implicit assumption that because Turris' holdout apparently "wasn't about the money", that Kane's won't be either. It's not a valid comparison. Turris wasn't in any position to make it about the money, simply because his meagre production (not to mention Phoenix being a ward of the NHL) would have made it absolutely impossible to throw big money at him.

Some of this trade speculation is fun, but I'm hoping it all comes to pass and Kane negotiates a fair RFA deal with the Jets. The day it happens, I'll be popping a bottle of champagne and watching while countless people are forced to backtrack on their "nobody wants to play in Winnipeg" drivel.
It seems like all one has to do is say the word "Winnipeg", and the haters and trolls seem to come out in full force.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
It seems like all one has to do is say the word "Winnipeg", and the haters and trolls seem to come out in full force.
It's really just a select handful of posters, and I don't think it's exclusive to Winnipeg at all. Just about every team attracts certain posters who...I won't say troll within the rules...let's just say they love increasing entropy in any thread related to that team.

Quote:
You're going to be a busy global mod!
Why do you think we've got Hammer and Holden going global?

Old
06-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It's really just a select handful of posters, and I don't think it's exclusive to Winnipeg at all. Just about every team attracts certain posters who...I won't say troll within the rules...let's just say they love increasing entropy in any thread related to that team.
And one of those said posters has been banned for their vitrol.

But enough OT, back on topic!

Old
06-17-2012, 12:23 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Do people not understand what one-dimensional means anymore? He's more of an offensive player then anything. You can be decent defensively and still be one dimensional if your offensive capabilities are extremely high. And how does him being called one-dimensional not include him using his size? Kane is decent defensively but you could still call him one-dimensional because his offensive capabilities are much higher then his defensive abilities. I really didn't think everyone would misunderstand "one-dimensional", but I guess when people hear "one" they think "one" ability.
Fair enough. I thought you meant something else when you used the word one dimensional.

Old
06-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
If we had to move him I'd be looking for a centre of similar age, ability, and potential, who's already established in the NHL, straight up. I'd rather not go for a package of players in return. My ideal target is someone like Matt Duchene from Colorado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I would be very happy with Matt Duschene for Evander Kane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I think this would make a lot of sense for both teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Me three!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Me four
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Me five. I would love Matt Duchene for Evander Kane.
Quote:
Me six I would do this one all day and it would be my number one option IF we were moving Kane. Same Age, same time in the NHL, same years left restricted etc etc.
Quote:
I think Barrie would be a great addition. Stastny or O'Reilly would be great too, but that's way too much to be asking for. Out of the Kane deals I've heard this seems the most realistic and in my opinion the best.
Leave Duchene out of this and look elsewhere!

A Kane for Duchene deal makes a lot of sense for you guys but not for the Avs. Duchene had an off year last year but he was very good in his first two years. Avs aren't just going to look at the one poor season where he was injured a lot. Unlike Kane with the Jets (if the rumour is true), Duchene loves it in Colorado and said he doesn't want to go anywhere.

IMO, the trade isn't very realistic either. Centers are more valuable than wingers and the Avs would be creating a hole at that position if they trade Duchene for a winger. Right now we are set with Duchene, Stastny, and O'Reilly down the middle. We also have Landeskog, McGinn, and Downie as wingers who play the power forward game like Kane does.

Finally, this might seem like a dumb reason but you also have to look at the fact that the Avs took Duchene one spot ahead of Kane. Sherman and the Avs scouts obviously think Duchene will be the better player (no offense but I do too) and that's why they drafted him. They would look pretty stupid if they traded him for Kane three years later.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Vander Teemuchuk

I would so love to get Duchesne out of this if it does happen. I'd go Kane+ for him, but not too much. Chicago's picks for Oduya?

Edit: OK, I guess Duchesne is off limits. So now I'm greedily eyeing Philly's forwards (again).

Last edited by Vander Teemuchuk: 06-17-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: No go on Duchesne
Old
06-17-2012, 04:26 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:

Just a small point, but Kessel isn't a diva in the traditional sense, IMHO - he's incredibly socially awkward and shy, which may make him come off that way.

Old
06-17-2012, 06:16 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Okposo seems to be settling in to a 20 to 25 goal scorer, at this point in his young career. You left out Okposo's recent 1/2 season numbers - with 5 goals - which had many calling him a bust, and led to the cap friendly contract.
Okposo's 5 goal season,came when he had major shoulder surgery in preseason,then missed the first 42 regular season games of 2010-2011.When he came back for the rest of that season,he was clearly a step behind,playing out of step.

When he played timidly in his first 15 games of this season,scoring 0 goals and 3 assists,I kept reminding other NYI fans that Isle fans were very happy with Okposo's development, right up until his major surgery.I kept pointing out that
players coming back from major surgery,took time to get back on track.I made similar statements about Streit,who's play didn't improve until after the trade deadline.

Okposo told Michelletti in a interview,that he'd played tenatively the first few months because of fears about re-injuring his shoulder.

Tavares' best month of the season was Jan,when he had Okposo promoted to his line.Tavares had 22 pts in 13 games,had Okposo to fight for loose pucks behind the net and along the board.I am expecting that Moulson-Tavares-Okposo line to be reunited,with Parenteau leaving as a ufa.

Quote:
Kane's goal totals continue to increase each year and he has a much higher ceiling as a goal scorer than Okposo. Playing with Tavares, Kane could be a 40+ scorer.
I'm sure Kane's goal totals will increase each yr,just as I'm sure Okposo's goal totals will increase each yr.In an inconsistent season,Okposo scored 24 goals.I'm looking forward to what he can do,playing with confidence like he did pre-surgery.Zero interest in trading Okposo,who just turned 24,wears an A and is signed cheaply for 2 more yrs.

Old
06-17-2012, 06:33 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Well, the Winnipeg Sun has nothing this morning regarding Kane's supposed unwillingness to sign here. They printed both the Pavelec and Burmi rumours when they happened. I guess this one is pretty unsubstantiated.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:32 AM
trebendan

These Kane rumours seemed to start out of Montreal. If Montreal offered the 3rd overall and Lars Eller for Kane, would that do it from a Jets perspective?

Old
06-17-2012, 07:51 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
IF you are saying that not everyone on the team needs to go out for wings to be successful I can agree to a point.

But they still have to "respect" each other, and willingly go to war with each other.

IF Kane is not getting that from his teammates then it is a problem IMO.
trust me on this one Huff I am torn. I really think while we are waiting for the crops to grow we need to be careful with high performing players that in my opinion don't fit our culture. I have a feeling that the first group of our draft and develop class will start populating our line up by the 2013-14 season (Telegin and maybe Kingburg) and the following season (Scheifele) and by 2015-16 the machine will be cranking out enough inventory to populate our team with talented moderately priced assets that will do things the Jets way. Until we start getting our graduating classes I am really leary about taking a hit on a trade and risking losing 30 to 40 goals this season. Now if we can win the trade or even tie but upgrade on the culture then have it it Kevin.

I look at Chevy's job as having two stages. Stage 1 is the transition stage where he is doing the best with the hand he was dealt. In this stage i expect him to actively shop all players that don't fit our core values despite talent levels BUT IF HE CAN'T GET A DEAL DONE then we have to plug our nose and the coaching staff have to get the job done. If a popular player shows up to the training camp this year overweight and out of shape and didn't get with the clearly defined program while his teammates are all showing up ripped and fit then we have to move that person its just that it might take time.

Stage 2 is when the draft and develop patience is a virtue classes start graduating (and here's the key) and they "START POPULATING" our top 6 forward spots and top 4 D spots. Once the home grown kicks in allot of pressure is taken off the acquisition of free agents or saviour types that are often over priced. At that point we are playing with the houses money and we will be tough to beat. Its at around this time that I think the buy in to our way and our culture begins to infect our organization effectively in the action not words stage.

In the meantime back on the farm I want to see us compete for the playoffs this year and make sure we send the right message to retain the key assets that are our type of players. If we have to plug our nose and put up with sub optimal cultural fits in the mean time to have a shot while we are shopping them then so be it.

After seeing Chevy talk on Thursday I know we have the right person guiding the ship so I am really comfortable with our long term plan. I have yet to bet any V cash but if I was to and you were to ask me what the surest bet would be then i would bet the house that Chevy will be working for TNSE 10 years from now as the President and GM.

hopefully that coffee induced morning mind dump makes some sense

Old
06-17-2012, 07:52 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
These Kane rumours seemed to start out of Montreal. If Montreal offered the 3rd overall and Lars Eller for Kane, would that do it from a Jets perspective?
I dont think so
Eller doesnt really help our center situation as he is not as good or better then our #1&2 centers, and the third pick is a crap shoot imo

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
06-17-2012, 08:05 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Leave Duchene out of this and look elsewhere!

A Kane for Duchene deal makes a lot of sense for you guys but not for the Avs. Duchene had an off year last year but he was very good in his first two years. Avs aren't just going to look at the one poor season where he was injured a lot. Unlike Kane with the Jets (if the rumour is true), Duchene loves it in Colorado and said he doesn't want to go anywhere.

IMO, the trade isn't very realistic either. Centers are more valuable than wingers and the Avs would be creating a hole at that position if they trade Duchene for a winger. Right now we are set with Duchene, Stastny, and O'Reilly down the middle. We also have Landeskog, McGinn, and Downie as wingers who play the power forward game like Kane does.

Finally, this might seem like a dumb reason but you also have to look at the fact that the Avs took Duchene one spot ahead of Kane. Sherman and the Avs scouts obviously think Duchene will be the better player (no offense but I do too) and that's why they drafted him. They would look pretty stupid if they traded him for Kane three years later.
That makes sense Avs_19 you know it must not be balanced when so many guys on our board agree at once and are jacked about a trade

Closed Thread