HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part VIII)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
One thing that does worry me with the lack of quality UFA's and maybe our loyal to a fault approach with our own players, is I really do believe at the end of the day here we're going to see a pretty identical Jets team return to the ice for next season. I'm not a big fan of it though I am ready to accept it. We all watched how discontent and frustrated our Captain Andrew Ladd got in the media leading up to the deadline, this team needed some offensive help and he basically come out and said that, and put the ball in managements court. You could tell he was frustrated and I'd bet 3/4 or more of the team was. I'd really like to see us try and improve, someway somehow, rather than ice what would be pretty well be the same team as last season. I think if we ice the same team, the results may be all to familiar.
I really think that loyalty and respect for our players is going to take us very far wrt getting pieces later on when we need them to challenge for a championship.

The NHLPA is a very tight-knit fraternity, and you can bet the way that TN treats the players is already well known around the league. Knowing that you can sign a contract that will be honored, that you will be respected, your family looked after, etc. are all things that we can be very good at as the Jets.

We often had heated debates on the Oilers board about why no Free Agents wanted to play in Edmonton. Many tried to say it's because its a frozen wasteland and there is nothing to do. That is absolute hogwash IMHO.

- There are other markets that attract FA's who aren't exactly garden wonderlands.
- Edmonton might not be a world class city, but there is plenty to see and do, and its a great place for families.
- when you actually narrow down just how much an NHL player is in a city, I'd say it may be around 100 days a year max with plenty of trips to warmer/ more glamorous climbs.
- plenty of players actually prefer a place where A> hockey is king and B> there are less distractions, so you can focus on the task at hand. I have said many times if your players would rather be on the beach than practicing/ working out/ playing, you are most likely not going to have a lot of success.

The reason, afaic that players do NOT want to go to Edmonton is that that org is a shambles. It's an old boys club, and the players have been really mistreated at times. The Mike Comrie situation, The Chris Pronger fiasco, the Sheldon Souray nonsense. I am not saying the players didn't have a hand in their demise, but you cannot treat players like that and have a good reputation in the player community. You are really putting yourself at a disadvantage right off the bat.

So, while loyalty, patience with players, and perhaps holding onto guys a bit too long is frustrating for us as fans, I think it could pay dividends in the future.

06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Martin21

vCash: 500
On a more hilarious off season note. Guess who has returned to Youtube. He's a bunny who is a little funky and loves the number 9966. Here's hoping to more great videos about the Jets next season

Old
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin21 View Post
On a more hilarious off season note. Guess who has returned to Youtube. He's a bunny who is a little funky and loves the number 9966. Here's hoping to more great videos about the Jets next season
That's too bad, I was hoping that he was permanently banned from Youtube.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The NHLPA is a very tight-knit fraternity, and you can bet the way that TN treats the players is already well known around the league. Knowing that you can sign a contract that will be honored, that you will be respected, your family looked after, etc. are all things that we can be very good at as the Jets.
I think there are plenty of ways to do that without being "loyal". There are plenty of GMs who have lost their jobs by falling in love with players that hadn't done squat. Think every Leafs GM of the last 20 years (Burke included).

The Senators were really highly praised by most of the players they shipped out of town during their "mini-rebuild" of 2011. Why? They gave the players a choice of where they wanted to go. Fisher actually had a partial NMC clause where he could list 10 teams he would accept a trade to, but he didn't submit the list on time, meaning he could have been traded anywhere. Murray still sent him someplace he wanted (Nashville) even though he apparently had a better offer from Carolina. Kelly and Kovalev also had a say in their destinations.

Players realize it's a business. They will all be traded, waived, scratched, etc at some point in their careers. Plus, sometimes a fresh start is really beneficial for the player - Brian Elliott to use another Sens example. It's a question of how the organization handles it.

As an aside, that's why that "Stella's Insider" guy bothered me so much... because it gives the exact opposite impression. You've got a representative of the organization (Noel) throwing players under the bus in public. Us as fans will probably know if that conversation really happened or not, but if it was true, Antropov and Burmistrov sure as hell know it. That makes the organization look terrible to the players. Chevy probably had a lot of damage control to do over that one.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That's too bad, I was hoping that he was permanently banned from Youtube.
Always enjoying a good train wreck, I wandered over to see what inane material he decided to post. To my amazement, he actually has a funny one - if you've got 30s of your life to waste, go watch "Just outside the Staples Center". Mildly humorous, but as usual, NSFW language, so I'm not posting it here.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I really think that loyalty and respect for our players is going to take us very far wrt getting pieces later on when we need them to challenge for a championship.

We often had heated debates on the Oilers board about why no Free Agents wanted to play in Edmonton. Many tried to say it's because its a frozen wasteland and there is nothing to do. That is absolute hogwash IMHO.

- There are other markets that attract FA's who aren't exactly garden wonderlands.
- Edmonton might not be a world class city, but there is plenty to see and do, and its a great place for families.
- when you actually narrow down just how much an NHL player is in a city, I'd say it may be around 100 days a year max with plenty of trips to warmer/ more glamorous climbs.
- plenty of players actually prefer a place where A> hockey is king and B> there are less distractions, so you can focus on the task at hand. I have said many times if your players would rather be on the beach than practicing/ working out/ playing, you are most likely not going to have a lot of success.

The reason, afaic that players do NOT want to go to Edmonton is that that org is a shambles. It's an old boys club, and the players have been really mistreated at times. The Mike Comrie situation, The Chris Pronger fiasco, the Sheldon Souray nonsense. I am not saying the players didn't have a hand in their demise, but you cannot treat players like that and have a good reputation in the player community. You are really putting yourself at a disadvantage right off the bat.

So, while loyalty, patience with players, and perhaps holding onto guys a bit too long is frustrating for us as fans, I think it could pay dividends in the future.
Definitely agree, Jet. I just more so than less mean being loyal to a fault in terms of possibly holding on to a player when it may be better off parting ways. I'm really just having small talk with a couple different hunches I have.

But all in all, I think you're right on in the fact that player loyalty goes a long, long way.

06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin21 View Post
No way. I can't wait to watch.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Martin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
No way. I can't wait to watch.
I knew everyone couldn't wait to see what crazy antics he's getting into now. As much as the guy pisses you off. You do enjoy seeing him make a fool of himself

Old
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Martin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Always enjoying a good train wreck, I wandered over to see what inane material he decided to post. To my amazement, he actually has a funny one - if you've got 30s of your life to waste, go watch "Just outside the Staples Center". Mildly humorous, but as usual, NSFW language, so I'm not posting it here.
I missed that video! Thank you for pointing out that one. Gave me a good chuckle.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:29 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice posts on the loyalty debate.

I was chatting with one Jet who said his exit interview went really well last year. He said the boys were clear on expectations and he was also told what his future looked like. he said he new he was probably not part of the long term plans but felt the organization would have success based on how they treated their players. they dropped the ball on a couple of issues but the players chalked it up to TNSE being a bit weeded. The general sentiment is that the communication is good.

jamiebez I agree the Stella's piece it troubling if true but I wouldn't put it past the poster to embellish. My guess is Claude is open to a fault and MIGHT have made a mistake or two. They will all learn from this and move forward. Also great point about the Sens dealing well with players even as they exit.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Great post Jet

A person I know that is close to the situation in Edmonton says nepotism is the biggest issue. Lowe and Katz are best friends and Lowe and Katz's wives are best friends and that creates huge conflicts as one might imagine. that is just not the way to run an organization. the competition and executive talent levels are too high in the NHL for fundamental missteps like this.

They have some spectacular young players now so we will see if they can convert?

Old
06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Aerial

Tanner Glass says deal is 80%-85% done:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/1...-80-done-glass

Old
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Tanner Glass says deal is 80%-85% done:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/1...-80-done-glass
Yay! I liked glass last season!

Old
06-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Lethrash

Slater deal done, stoked! As per Twitter @NHLJets

Old
06-13-2012, 05:45 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethrash View Post
Slater deal done, stoked! As per Twitter @NHLJets
Yes!!

Old
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

I was chatting with one Jet who said his exit interview went really well last year. He said the boys were clear on expectations and he was also told what his future looked like. he said he new he was probably not part of the long term plans but felt the organization would have success based on how they treated their players. they dropped the ball on a couple of issues but the players chalked it up to TNSE being a bit weeded. The general sentiment is that the communication is good.

jamiebez I agree the Stella's piece it troubling if true but I wouldn't put it past the poster to embellish. My guess is Claude is open to a fault and MIGHT have made a mistake or two. They will all learn from this and move forward. Also great point about the Sens dealing well with players even as they exit.
So...who was it?

Old
06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1125
Quote:

You're going to drop that bomb and then leave it at that aren't you????

Old
06-13-2012, 08:09 PM
sully1410

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Otherwise I think we may have uncovered Eklunds TRUE identity!

Old
06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

My guess is Jones.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
The Chris Pronger fiasco, the Sheldon Souray nonsense.
I agree with everything you said, except this. Pronger and Souray are one hundred percent to blame for the entire situation.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Great post Jet

A person I know that is close to the situation in Edmonton says nepotism is the biggest issue. Lowe and Katz are best friends and Lowe and Katz's wives are best friends and that creates huge conflicts as one might imagine. that is just not the way to run an organization. the competition and executive talent levels are too high in the NHL for fundamental missteps like this.

They have some spectacular young players now so we will see if they can convert?
I'm soooo happy I don't have to deal with the drama coming out of the Oilers organization anymore!!!!

Old
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
So...who was it?
Quote:
Sorry guys I gave up more than I should have there......off to hide in my cave

Old
06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Interesting. Maybe Chevy is holding out for former Brandon Wheat King Schenn +... for Enstrom.

That would be awesome if Chevy can get Schenn+ for Enstrom.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:35 PM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
That would be awesome if Chevy can get Schenn+ for Enstrom.
I would rather have Simmonds+ for Enstrom if we are trading with the flyers...

Old
06-14-2012, 12:08 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I would rather have Simmonds+ for Enstrom if we are trading with the flyers...
Agree 100 %

Closed Thread