HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason FA thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 11:02 PM
coolstorybro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
IF Parise walks..where do you guys see his $$$ going
i think the financial situation will dictate that. without new investors we could be icing a low payroll team imo (note: im not being doom and gloom guys)

Old
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Woah seriously? I seriously didn't know that.

In that case stay FAR AWAY FARRRRRR AWAY from Brent Johnson!

Wait a minute though were his rights traded? How did he sign with the Pens?
Rights were traded and he signed the same day or something, can't recall.

2 million a year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-penguins.html

Old
Scott04

My only concern in regards to our free agents is how many of them played well enough (regular season and/or post-season) that they may have priced themselves out of what the Devils can afford (cap wise. None of this "no money, bruh" stuff). Salvador likely earned himself in excess of $3 mil a year when you factor in that he proved he's healthy, can play a full season, and his solid post-season will do nothing to hurt his paycheck either.

Ponikarovsky is getting a likely raise from somewhere. Just have to wonder if it exceeds the threshold for the role he would play here vs. elsewhere. A team trying to reach the floor may easily give him $3 mil+. Can't imagine we would be able to do that. Bernier applies to a much lesser extent. Don't think he'll get the same pay day, but he's definitely done enough to get himself a raise elsewhere.

I don't think this means all 3 will necessarily be elsewhere. But it may get to the point where a decision has to be made over who can they afford to keep, and who they have to let go because their market value is too high for the role they play here.

Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Use Parise's money to try and lure Suter here if Zach walks.
I don't think that will happen. Either we end up with just Parise, or neither. We won't get Suter.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Scott04

The good thing I see going into this off-season is that anyone who says they "want to play for a winner" can't use that as a reason to ignore NJ. This applies for our own free agents or those around the league. And I would not understate the importance of that. Sure, money is a factor for signing any free agent, but if you're not a contender, money is all you have to bring people in. The team's performance this year may go a long way in either keeping, or acquiring new people.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:07 PM
goalvalchuk17

resign both goalies as long as they want to stay. resign salvador, DO NOT RESIGN PETER HARROLD. resign the 4th line. parise of course, try your hardest to resign. janssen i could care less, he prob wont play anyway. id love to have poni back but he will probably want too much money that we might not have.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Rights were traded and he signed the same day or something, can't recall.

2 million a year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-penguins.html
Wow. Don't know if he got overpaid. Washington got him for a steal last year, but they don't need him with Holtby, and Neuvirth being a good backup. Please NO BRENT JOHNSON THOUGH!

Old
06-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalchukparise179 View Post
resign both goalies as long as they want to stay.
I think Moose will likely retire. Marty will be back. Not sure what we do for a backup.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:24 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'd like to get faster. Kings were skating circles around us more often than not.

Also like Pete to not play Kovalchuk 40 minutes a game.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Moose said earlier in the season probably around February or January maybe even that he would like to keep playing. They asked him right after Marty said he was leaning towards coming back, and starting with that talk.

He hasn't been asked since though. After he posted the 1-0 shutout late March he was on NHL Live the next night talking with Deb Placey, and Mc Lovin about wanting to return to the Devils next season if there is an opportunity.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I'd like to get faster. Kings were skating circles around us more often than not.

For the MOST part, and I know this wasn't ALWAYS the case, but if you look at the scorecards, and the minutes it would seem he played so many minutes because goons like Janssen, and or Boulton were in the lineup. There were a few times he got 25 minutes a game when we had the 4th line we have now, but it was not as much. I don't think the injury played into it cause he was playing 28 minutes a night a couple times when he looked like hell.

Old
goalvalchuk17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I think Moose will likely retire. Marty will be back. Not sure what we do for a backup.
if moose retires, im sure we could dig up a little cap space for a backup. if not, marty plays 82 games anyway

Old
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post

I want faster D-men for sure

Old
06-11-2012, 11:31 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'm not even going to get into the D because someone else is definitely going to take care of that and save me the time and the pitchforks. I got enough for not calling Bernier a saint or something to that extent.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
I want faster D-men for sure
Kurtis Foster is your answer!

Sorry guys just let me have my fun. I'm bringing up Foster to make myself laugh! Speaking of Foster I read the ENTIRE FOSTER MUST GO! thread the other day. I LOL'd all throughout it.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Larsson's improvement from his rookie season will help the defence immensely.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

The real question is how much will Marty sign for? Hope it is on the cheap for the team.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
The real question is how much will Marty sign for? Hope it is on the cheap for the team.
I can't imagine him getting more than $2-3 M. It depends on how much cap space the Devils have left after signing whoever else they need to.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
I really hope he says "Lou, dont sign me, sign everyone else, then sign me with whats left"

he did take a pay cut when elias needed to be signed

Old
06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Tretyak 20

Marty and Hedberg will be our tandem next year. I don't se any way that's not happening. Albany will let Frazee walk and go with Kinkaid and Wedgewood. We might even get to see Wedge get a start in case of injury.

Bernier is gone (puts on fire-retardent suit). I've been a Devils fan for a long time. I've seen Sean O'donnell sent packing for far less than Bernier's penalty. I've see Slava Fetisov - yes, Slava freakin' Fetisov - sent packing for FAR less than Bernier's penalty. Lou isn't going to put Bernier back into a locker room that sees him as the reason they lost. It's that simple. Bernier will most likely be in europe next October.

Carter and Gionta will be resigned. Gio will be on a two-way, though.

Poni will most likely be be resigned. He made an important contribution to our 3rd line, but he didn't score much in the playoffs, so I don't see other teams being willing to offer him big money. Lou will gladly take him back, though.

Salvo will be resigned, unless someone offers him $4 mill. My guess is he'll sign for 1-2 years at between $3 and $3.5 million.

Parise will be resigned. This playoff run tells me he isn't going anywhere - not unless there's a HUGE monetary difference. He now knows this team can win, and I think he'll want to resign here.

I don't think there will be any UFA's brought in, but I could potentially see a D traded.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Haha Sean O'Donnell? He was merely a rental. He was like our worse D man too. Carter, and Gionta will not be effective players playing with Boulton or Janssen. Forget the scoring, they can't even play defense. Doughty's goal in game 2 would be a once a week occurence. I remember Janssen caused that Marty St Louis breakaway on February 26th.

Fetisov was just old, useless, and washed up. He was a healthy scratch all but a few games before Detroit unloaded him from us.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Haha Sean O'Donnell? He was merely a rental. He was like our worse D man too. Carter, and Gionta will not be effective players playing with Boulton or Janssen. Forget the scoring, they can't even play defense. Doughty's goal in game 2 would be a once a week occurence. I remember Janssen caused that Marty St Louis breakaway on February 26th.
Boulton and Janssen aren't real options. We have several potential younger players to fill that slot, and a 4th liner is ALWAYS available at the deadline. And years from now, I suspect posters will be saying "Bernier? he was just a rental!" Hindsight is always 20/20.

Quote:
Fetisov was just old, useless, and washed up. He was a healthy scratch all but a few games before Detroit unloaded him from us.
Clearly the reason he won 2 Cups with Detroit after we let him go. And I certainly don't remember him being a healthy scratch against the Rangers in '94.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:12 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
UFA -
Parise
Janssen
Carter
Poni
Beriner
Gionta

Salvador
Harrold

Brodeur
Moose

Special mention:
Leach
Mills
Sestito
Pielmier
From this list, the only guys I definitely want back are Zach, Brodeur and Carter. Poni, I'm on the fence about. Bernier and Gionta can stay or go. Neither would bother me much unless they get big raises. More or less feel the same about Sal and Harrold. Janssen can go very, very far away.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Tundra

Trade Fayne and a 2nd for Radulov's rights. Maybe Kovy could keep him focused.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Boulton and Janssen aren't real options. We have several potential younger players to fill that slot, and a 4th liner is ALWAYS available at the deadline. And years from now, I suspect posters will be saying "Bernier? he was just a rental!" Hindsight is always 20/20.

Clearly the reason he won 2 Cups with Detroit after we let him go. And I certainly don't remember him being a healthy scratch against the Rangers in '94.
He wasn't that great in the 95 season. I don't know exactly why he wasn't in the lineup, but he wasn't our best D man in 94 I can say that much. He won 2 Cups with Detroit, and a change of scenery might have helped. I'm not sure if he was playing top minutes though so I won't comment.

Closed Thread