HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason FA thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 12:19 AM
  #51
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Why in the hell would we trade Fayne? We don't make the Final without the pairing of Fayne and Greene.

Saugus is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
  #52
Kensu
Registered User
 
Kensu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Trade Fayne and a 2nd for Radulov's rights. Maybe Kovy could keep him focused.
you can give less for Radulov's rights then that.

Kensu is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
  #53
DevilsAnimal*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
you can give less for Radulov's rights then that.
yeah, like a 3rd, for compensation for an offer sheet

DevilsAnimal* is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
  #54
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
He wasn't that great in the 95 season. I don't know exactly why he wasn't in the lineup, but he wasn't our best D man in 94 I can say that much. He won 2 Cups with Detroit, and a change of scenery might have helped. I'm not sure if he was playing top minutes though so I won't comment.
He wasn't supposed to be our best D in '94, Stevens was. He wasn't Detroit's best in '95 either. My point is that he was purged from the Devils in '94 because of one simple mistake that cost us the series.

Why do you think a 4th liner who has already floated from team to team, and who made a far worse mistake, is going to be treated differently?

Tretyak 20 is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:26 AM
  #55
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Why in the hell would we trade Fayne? We don't make the Final without the pairing of Fayne and Greene.
It would be nice if we could trade Volchenkov. I'm sorry, I just don't see what people see in this guy. He's played as a #5 D man at best, often time bordering on a 6/7. At the very least I hope he's a 3rd pairing guy next season with limited minutes.

I think the pressure of the Finals got to Fayne. He looked so tentative and nervous the whole time. It was a learning experience for him, but I definitely wouldn't trade him. For how he's played for NJ, there is no way they'd get even close to equal value for him. The last thing they need to be doing is trading young D men with potential anyway.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
  #56
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Not sure why we'd trade Volchenkov either. He was one of our best players tonight.

Saugus is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:33 AM
  #57
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Trade Volchenkov and Fayne. Have Zharkov play a D pairing by himself.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
  #58
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
The only D I could see us trading would be Greene, but even that's only a small chance IMO. We've got a lot of good D's, but no great ones. That's our whole problem.

Tretyak 20 is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
  #59
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Not sure why we'd trade Volchenkov either. He was one of our best players tonight.
Because over the long haul he's played well under his contract, IMO, and isn't even doing the one thing I thought he'd do; delivering crushing hits. Sal had to cover for Volchies mistakes over much of the playoffs, and even in the regular season he never looked very good IMO. I love the guys dedication and willingness to take one for the team, but it seems to really be taking it's toll on him at this stage of his career and it is really, really hampering his effectiveness.

My thought is not based on one game or one series.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:36 AM
  #60
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Trade Volchenkov and Fayne. Have Zharkov play a D pairing by himself.
Interesting thought, but I'd be happy with him just taking Berniers or Giontas spot on the 4th line

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:36 AM
  #61
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Why in the hell would we trade Fayne? We don't make the Final without the pairing of Fayne and Greene.
He played so poorly the last 2 games that I'm venting. Anyway, I think a focused Radulov and Kovalchuk playing together would be absolutely dynamic.

Tundra is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:38 AM
  #62
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
The only D I could see us trading would be Greene, but even that's only a small chance IMO. We've got a lot of good D's, but no great ones. That's our whole problem.
Yeah we should load our top pairings and discard our lower ones. Like the Rangers . . . .

Depth has been our key. I'd rather keep that and let Larsson develop.

#1 D crap is so overblown.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:38 AM
  #63
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
He played so poorly the last 2 games that I'm venting. Anyway, I think a focused Radulov and Kovalchuk playing together would be absolutely dynamic.
No such thing as a permanently focused Radulov. Hell, if Nashville can't get you to be focused in the playoffs, no one will.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
  #64
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West of Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,646
vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Brodeur said he wouldn’t decide anything for certain until July 1 – when he’d be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. He said can’t imagine himself playing for another team, though.

“You never know I guess, but I don’t want to,” he said. “It will definitely have to be something really, really weird that I’m going to do that. I want to play. I think I want to play. I’ll talk to my little girl (Anabelle) and see what she thinks, but I’m sure she’s going to want to see me play. But the Devils is what I am and it’s what I believe in and this is what I want to be, but again there might be circumstances that are going to be out of Lou (Lamoriello’s) hands and my hands that might (change) that, but I don’t know.”


Scottyk9 is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:41 AM
  #65
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,280
vCash: 500
What do you think? A Marty/Carey Price tandem up in Montreal next year?

Bleedred is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:42 AM
  #66
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Brodeur said he wouldn’t decide anything for certain until July 1 – when he’d be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. He said can’t imagine himself playing for another team, though.

“You never know I guess, but I don’t want to,” he said. “It will definitely have to be something really, really weird that I’m going to do that. I want to play. I think I want to play. I’ll talk to my little girl (Anabelle) and see what she thinks, but I’m sure she’s going to want to see me play. But the Devils is what I am and it’s what I believe in and this is what I want to be, but again there might be circumstances that are going to be out of Lou (Lamoriello’s) hands and my hands that might (change) that, but I don’t know.”

Well, that's not exactly what I want to hear...

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:42 AM
  #67
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Interesting thought, but I'd be happy with him just taking Berniers or Giontas spot on the 4th line
Bernier and Gionta have proven ten times more in their short time here than Zharkov ever did. If Zharkov is playing over either of those guys, do we make it out of the 1st round? Or would we be talking about "what if Zharkov didn't miss that open net/hit that post?"

But "potential" is where it is at. Right?

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
  #68
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Bernier and Gionta have proven ten times more in their short time here than Zharkov ever did. If Zharkov is playing over either of those guys, do we make it out of the 1st round? Or would we be talking about "what if Zharkov didn't miss that open net/hit that post?"

But "potential" is where it is at. Right?
Settle down man I've said it before, if Bernier is back I'll be happy. Gio I could go either way on, but if he's back too I wouldn't mind. I would really like it if Carter stayed, though.

However, If one of those three aren't back, then I'd be happy with Zharkov taking their spot on that line. That's what I'm getting at. Obviously if all three are here next season they will be the 4th line. You don't have to worry anyway. I'm pretty sure we will never see Zharkov in an NJ jersey again.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
  #69
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,280
vCash: 500
I only want Zharkov over those guys if we can't sign one.

Pete won't go back to the goons unless he's left with no choice, or wants to play them a game here, and there. He's knows whats up.

You know he's thinking ''We had the best 4th line in these playoffs. I can't possibly justify playing Boulton every night.'' Once Zajac, and Josefson were both back from injuries at the same time late in the year we only put a goon in the lineup when Clarkson sat out, or Boulton in Detroit after Josefson got his wrist broken the game before.

Bleedred is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:49 AM
  #70
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I'm pretty sure we will never see Zharkov in an NJ jersey again.
We can only hope not Boulton either. Now is not the time to criticize Lou, but that was the only complaint I have with him last off season. Signing that waste of space to 2 years. I don't think he sucked as bad in Atlanta or Lou likely doesn't sign him 2 years. He's not a big cap hit or anything, but maybe Lou will not wanna justify paying Boulton to sit for 65 games next year.

Bleedred is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:49 AM
  #71
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Settle down man I've said it before, if Bernier is back I'll be happy. Gio I could go either way on, but if he's back too I wouldn't mind. I would really like it if Carter stayed, though.

However, If one of those three aren't back, then I'd be happy with Zharkov taking their spot on that line. That's what I'm getting at. Obviously if all three are here next season they will be the 4th line. You don't have to worry anyway. I'm pretty sure we will never see Zharkov in an NJ jersey again.
I am settled, what did I say unsettled?

This 4th line is the best we have had in years, that do their job and much more.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:50 AM
  #72
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We can only hope not Boulton either. Now is not the time to criticize Lou, but that was the only complaint I have with him last off season. Signing that waste of space to 2 years. I don't think he sucked as bad in Atlanta or Lou likely doesn't sign him 2 years. He's not a big cap hit or anything, but maybe Lou will not wanna justify paying Boulton to sit for 65 games next year.
Lou waived Boulton, that's all you need to know about his intentions for him.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:51 AM
  #73
KohoDonuts88
THANK YOU LOU
 
KohoDonuts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,806
vCash: 500
I think our D is probably set, and Salvador moves on. Harrold may stay on, with he & Larsson in the 6/7 spots.

Up front, good riddance to Cam. Great guy, lousy player. Ponikarovsky, I'd keep at a similar price. Would like to see the 4th line back, although guaranteed one of those guys is going to regress, probably Gionta. So having someone to step in instead of Boulton would be nice. I'd take Sykora for cheap again, but then I don't want him taking a spot away from someone else. Obviously re-signing Parise is first priority. Suter is a pipe dream. Re-sign Marty, and we're just as well re-signing Moose too, better the guy you know than someone else.

KohoDonuts88 is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
  #74
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Suter has to be priority #1 with Zach as a close second. If we have to move someone to free up a spot, so be it.

If Zach walks, I expect Henrique to take over and actually mesh with Kovy. I know people would flip out if he does leave but I don't think it'll be the end of the world.

Getting production from our d-men should be top priority for Lou this summer. We saw first hand what Salvador's production did to our cup run. He's no PP specialist but the fact that he took fast wristers that were on net and deflectable is key for any d-men to try and generage something. He was way more patient with the puck then I've ever seen him. Good for him but we shouldn't be offering him anything over half of what he's making atm. He was a rock for us this postseason but he's not duplicating his exploits. We already have a bad contract, we don't need another one.

If we get someone with some offensive skill on defense, we might actually not have to utilise Kovy at the point anymore and that would be a added bonus right there. Cut his minutes and he'll be more productive, shorten his shifts so he can full speed for 40 seconds instead of 80% for a entire minute. If there's one thing Kovy should remember from Zach, if he leaves, is his work ethic and the fact that he doesn't stay on the ice too long for nothing.


Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 06-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.
DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
  #75
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 19,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I am settled, what did I say unsettled?

This 4th line is the best we have had in years, that do their job and much more.
It seems you go out of your way to criticism every time I mention anything about Zharkov, though you were the first to bring up his name.

In any case, I agree with what you've said so we're basically on the same page. The 4th line was amazing in the playoffs and they wouldn't have got very far without them. I just hope they don't get big raises because of it.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.