HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason FA thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Lou waived Boulton, that's all you need to know about his intentions for him.
He also was right back in the lineup the next game after that weekend. BUT we had MAJOR depth issues. I think he played one more game after Zajac came back, and that was against Detroit. The very next game after Josefson had his wrist broken. Janssen was in the lineup against the Isles, and Sens, but Clarkson was sitting out both of those games.

I really don't think we need a goon though. Carter will drop the gloves if he has to.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Brodeur said he wouldn’t decide anything for certain until July 1 – when he’d be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. He said can’t imagine himself playing for another team, though.

“You never know I guess, but I don’t want to,” he said. “It will definitely have to be something really, really weird that I’m going to do that. I want to play. I think I want to play. I’ll talk to my little girl (Anabelle) and see what she thinks, but I’m sure she’s going to want to see me play. But the Devils is what I am and it’s what I believe in and this is what I want to be, but again there might be circumstances that are going to be out of Lou (Lamoriello’s) hands and my hands that might (change) that, but I don’t know.”

Don't think $$ will be an issue. I have heard him say that he really enjoyed seeing the other side of hockey the year he got hurt. Apparently Lou showed him some of the inner workings. I;ve heard him say this is something he;d like to do after his playing days, He may sign with an eye to the future,

Old
06-12-2012, 01:58 AM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
It seems you go out of your way to criticism every time I mention anything about Zharkov, though you were the first to bring up his name.

In any case, I agree with what you've said so we're basically on the same page. The 4th line was amazing in the playoffs and they wouldn't have got very far without them. I just hope they don't get big raises because of it.
It is more that we should trust Lou's judgement rather than try and find holes in every move he makes. This cup run has silenced critics for now, but guarantee the closer we get to July 1st they will come out of the woodwork again.

Especially the "Lou is crap in the post lock out era". Wait for it, you can hear the mongol stampede arriving. It makes it even sadder than most that say this are from this fan base. Spoiled brats.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:00 AM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
He also was right back in the lineup the next game after that weekend. BUT we had MAJOR depth issues. I think he played one more game after Zajac came back, and that was against Detroit. The very next game after Josefson had his wrist broken. Janssen was in the lineup against the Isles, and Sens, but Clarkson was sitting out both of those games.

I really don't think we need a goon though. Carter will drop the gloves if he has to.
I think you answer your own questions in this post. Also didn't Janssen play many consecutive games in a row leading up to the playoffs while Boulton sat? That should be a sign.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:00 AM
apice3*

Please Re-sign: Parise, Carter, Ponikarovsky

Indifferent: Brodeur, Hedberg, Bernier, Gionta, Harrold

Let Go: Sykora, Salvador, Janssen

Old
06-12-2012, 02:01 AM
kiwidevil

I would rather Gionta over Carter and Poni. If I had to choose.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:02 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I honestly think Lou will acquire a solid, proven, d-men in the next 2 years. With Marty hanging them up plus a aging core (Tallinder and Volchenkov), I don't see us going with Fayne, Greene and Larsson as our "future".

Old
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

The Boulton move is my only criticism. It didn't destroy the team or anything. I commend Lou at taking out the garbage this year(Pelley, Fraser, Palmieri as much as I liked him his first season here, who else am I missing?) We got good returns for them. Okay Foster wasn't a great return, but we got Zidlicky. We essentially traded all those guys for Zidlicky, and that's fine they weren't that good, and combined were worth what Zidlicky was worth.

It's only a slight criticism too. Let's see what happens next year with him though.

Old
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Please Re-sign: Parise, Carter, Ponikarovsky

Indifferent: Brodeur, Hedberg, Bernier, Gionta, Harrold

Let Go: Sykora, Salvador, Janssen
Ponikarovsky is really underrated defensively.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:03 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I honestly think Lou will acquire a solid, proven, d-men in the next 2 years. With Marty hanging them up plus a aging core (Tallinder and Volchenkov), I don't see us going with Fayne, Greene and Larsson as our "future".
I truly believe Larsson and Merrill will eventually be among the best 1-2 punches in the NHL.

Fayne, Urbom, and Gelinas all have promising futures too.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:07 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I truly believe Larsson and Merrill will eventually be among the best 1-2 punches in the NHL.

Fayne, Urbom, and Gelinas all have promising futures too.
No doubt about it. The future does look bright if all those kids do pan out but that's alot of question marks right there. Without our HOF'er, we need something solid either in nets or on our blueline. We can't have a leaky defense and a average netminder, we're the Devils and defense is the name of the game before anything else.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:08 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
I'd like to see the prospects step up.
DeBoer's system is aggressive and highly reliant on the D's ability to pinch in smartly and ability to play along side Marty/potentially another goalie who stick handles.

Best way to do that is grow them through the system and get them as comfortable as possible as they move up the pairings.

Over the course of the next couple of years, I'm more interested in beefing up the forward depth in Albany than any blockbuster signings. Going to need those youngsters sooner rather than later.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

At the end of the post game Chico, Steve, and Dano were talking about Robinson, and Oates. Chico said Robinson said earlier in the season this might be his last year, and Oates has said he wants to head coach, and something about going to Washington.

All I can say is thank god John Maclean is down in Carolina. Lou wasn't quoted, but I believe it was our buddy Chere saying last Summer that Lou says Maclean isn't a candidate for a coach or assistant, but said he wouldn't rule it out in the future. Lou was not quoted saying, but did say he was a hell of a coach. Why he would bring back that awful awful excuse for an NHL head coach is beyond me. I know he would never head coach here again, but Lou was reluctant to fire him, and I could have seen him back as assistant like he was doing after a few years. I don't think there's is a good chance, but the fact there is a 5 percent chance is scary. He wasn't a good enough assistant to even consider bringing back. Our PP was last in the league during the regular season in 02/03 when we won the Cup. I know that was his rookie year coaching, but it never really went league average during his time here.

I think Albelin takes Robinson's spot if he's gone. I can easily see Colin White taking over up in Albany as a defensive coach or something. If he retires, and if not in years to come.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:33 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I'd like to see the prospects step up.
DeBoer's system is aggressive and highly reliant on the D's ability to pinch in smartly and ability to play along side Marty/potentially another goalie who stick handles.

Best way to do that is grow them through the system and get them as comfortable as possible as they move up the pairings.

Over the course of the next couple of years, I'm more interested in beefing up the forward depth in Albany than any blockbuster signings. Going to need those youngsters sooner rather than later.
Offensively, we'd be very mobile but defensively, we'd be brutal. We need someone that will teach these kids the ropes and both of our veterans aren't those type of players. We had the luxury of relying on THE BEST NETMINDER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME, so we'll face reality in full force if we stay status quo regarding our blueline.

Just my opinion.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:37 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

I'm praying I wake up tomorrow and one of two things happen:

1) I realize it's Monday again and I was just dreaming we lost tonight.
2) Parise and Brodeur re-signed already.

Please Either one is fine by me.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I'm praying I wake up tomorrow and one of two things happen:

1) I realize it's Monday again and I was just dreaming we lost tonight.
2) Parise and Brodeur re-signed already.

Please Either one is fine by me.
Well Brodeur did say tonight he's going to July 1 but with all intentions to stay as long as Lou and Jeff want him.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:07 AM
dk3790

Quote:
Offensively, we'd be very mobile but defensively, we'd be brutal. We need someone that will teach these kids the ropes and both of our veterans aren't those type of players. We had the luxury of relying on THE BEST NETMINDER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME, so we'll face reality in full force if we stay status quo regarding our blueline.

Just my opinion.
devils blueline this year was neither mobile nor rock solid defensively, so I'll take the offensive capability if that's what they have atm. Teach them to play devils defense.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:13 AM
dk3790

After thinking about this through, I have realized how weak devils are at RW ouch (current and future).

Old
06-12-2012, 04:14 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Well Brodeur did say tonight he's going to July 1 but with all intentions to stay as long as Lou and Jeff want him.
If he wants back why wait until July 1st unless I'm missing something

Old
06-12-2012, 04:42 AM
slammer

re-sign
OFF
Parise 7MIO for 8years
Poni 1,25 Mio for 2 years
Carter 750,000 for 1 year
Gionta 500,000 for 1 year
Bernier 500,000 for 1 year
Sykora 750,000 for 1 year
or sign a good 4th line Center and switch around

DEF
Fayne 750,000 for 2 years
Salvador 2,9Mio for 2 years

GOAL
Brodeur 5,2Mio for maximum years he likes

Sign:
Suter

Trade:
Boulton
Harrold
Janssen

get this:
Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Kovi-Henrique-Elias
Sykora-Yayo-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta/4th line Center-Bernier/Gionta

Suter-Tallinder
Greene-Salvador
Zidlicky-Larsson
Fayne-Volch

Old
06-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
If he wants back why wait until July 1st unless I'm missing something
Not sure but he said he'll decide July 1st.

Maybe he's going to want more than the "hey your old take 2m since you been here a while contract"

Maybe that's why he said it may be out of Lou's hands, if he asks for more than expected and Jeff steps in and doesn't want to give 3-4-5m to a 40 yr old goalie.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

edit: don't read this. it's a waste of your time.

i'm going to go through every player and give them my "end of the year assessment"
the number at the end is how badly i personally want them back. a 10 is on my team any day, 5 i don't really care about, and 1 is go die in a hole. for the ufas i'll also mention if i think they'll be back.

bernier-well that sure ended horribly, but otherwise bernier was solid for us. he hits hard, is solid all around, and is pretty much everything you want in a 4th liner. sure he's replaceable, but there's something about him that seems different from your run-of-the-mill 4th liner. plus i like the guy. he may not be back just because of how it ended. not to mention someone may overpay for him because of his playoff performance. 7

boulton-worst season of his career and no reason to think next year will be better. gtfo. 2.

carter- remember when this guy was the best player on our 3RD line? solid in both ends, a bit better than bernier, and a valuable player. he's another threat to get a joel ward style contract. might not be back if the bidding gets too high. 8

clarkson- obviously a career year for him and i doubt we ever see him hit 30 again, but what a year for him. he remains probably the least versatile player we have as the only thing he does truly well is be a good net man for the powerplay, but clarkie found a way to make things happen despite his lack of skill, skating ability, and brains. hopefully it continues next year. even if it doesn't, he'll remain a valuable tool for the powerplay and adds grit to the lineup which we'll need if we (hopefully) don't have the goons dressing regularly next season. 8

elias- patty is a fantastic player and had a great year, but he slowed down quite a bit throughout the second half and into the playoffs. his hockey sense is probably the best on the team and his shot is good, but i don't expect we'll see him match these numbers again in his career. i'd love to be proven wrong on that though. he's still a great player to have in your top 6 for his leadership, experience, and hockey sense, and he is extremely valuable considering he'll play well in all situations. 10

gionta- as i've stated before, i doubt gio matches this performance over an entire season. that said he's a solid player and not a bad guy to have around. i'd love to have him back next year as a 13th forward or something, but i don't know how effective he'll be over a full season in the lineup every day. i also think he'll get a contract offer from some team hoping to get lucky that the devils simply won't be able to match for a 4th liner. doubt he's here next year. 6

henrique- this one seems special. the biggest part is that aside from one stretch his scoring was consistent. it wasn't just a hot streak, henrique is the real deal and will be a fixture in our top 6 for years to come. 10

janssen- honestly i'm not a huge fan. he's a big ball of energy, but he's brutal at playing the game and can't be relied on to take a regular shift. if this season taught us anything it's that we can't have our top forwards playing 25 minutes a game, and having janssen in the lineup is not helpful in that regard. that said, something tells me he'll be back. 3

josefson- another year that didn't go how we wanted it to for him, but when he was in the lineup he showed terrific defensive ability and solid offensive instincts. his shot is pretty good too when he does decide to use it. if he can make it through a season without missing serious time i think he'll gain a good bit of confidence and we'll see him explode into a great two-way center. if not, he will at least be a great guy to put on a shutdown line that can still provide offense. either way i look forward to him wearing red for the foreseeable future. 8

kovalchuk- we witnessed a transformation in kovy this year. at the start of the season he was making bonehead play after bonehead play and everyone was ragging on him, but by the end of it most of us were singing his praises. he will always make his share of bad plays and be a streaky player, but as long as he can avoid being a liability on the ice, the chance that he makes something out of nothing makes him an asset. it's hard not to be optimistic about his future, especially if he continues to improve in the less glorious areas of the game. he was already arguably the best winger in the league this year. 10

parise- i love zach. his effort is always a sight to see and he's one of the best all around players in the game. quite simply it's impossible to not like zach as a player in my opinion. i don't know if he can lead a team to the cup, but i do know he can lead one to two games away from the cup. say what you will about his playoff performance, but if he leaves he will be sorely missed. i still have no idea whether he will stay or go. 9

ponikarovsky- three weeks after we got him, most of us would have signed poni for years. unfortunately it's clear that that offense was an exception. he's good defensively and he's good on the forecheck, but for some reason i just feel that we will see poni go elsewhere this offseason. 5

sykora- i like sykie, and want him back, but i doubt he will come as cheaply next year as he did this one. his shot is the 2nd best on the team and he is good enough in all zones, but i'd only like him back if he understands that he may be a scratch some nights and only on another short term contract with a low cap hit. there are a couple of ways i could see him not back next year. 6

tedenby- i'll be honest, i don't like the guy. his defense is bad, his shot is bad, his hockey sense is pretty low, and his passing is above average at best. i'd love for him to turn into something, but i'm not getting my hopes up. 4

zajac- nothing needs to be said. next year could be huge for him. it's just too bad he was hurt all year. 9

zubrus- a good solid player that will give you a good effort every night. he's good in every zone and is great for the forecheck. i'd like for him to be used more in a third line role next season, but all in all a fine hockey player. 8

fayne- this guy was great for us this year. our most consistent d-man. he'll be great on a shutdown pair for years to come and will provide offense here and there as well. look forward to seeing him in the lineup. 8

greene- greene is just a very meh player for me. i don't dislike him or anything, but he constantly seems to just be there. his offense is decent enough and his defense is good, but at the end of the day he's not much more than an ok 2nd pairing guy to me. i guess my main problem with him is that he and fayne were forced to be our top d-pairing this year, which really isn't his fault, just not a role i think he's suited for. 6

harrold- i'm biased because for some reason i really like this guy, and i love d-men that can also play forward. he was arguably our best defenseman at some points during the playoffs, and i'd like to see him back next season. he makes a great 7th d-man and he's extra valuable because he can play forward too if we need him too. he has good offensive instincts and while he's not the best defensively, i also don't worry a ton when he's on the ice. that said, something tells me he'll move on this offseason, we simply don't seem to have room for him. 7

larsson- obviously he slowed down after november and never really fully got back into it after his injury, but we all saw that the sky is the limit for this kid and it seems assured that he will reach it. i could see him establishing himself as our top d-man by the end of next season. 10

salvador. i love bryce and he was solid for us all season. however i think it's time to move on here. someone is going to overpay because of his playoffs and i can only hope it's not us. we simply don't have the room for him in the very day lineup. 5

tallinder- tally will continue to provide a solid all around game next year. unfortunately he continues the trend set by fayne and greene of guys that really have to play a spot above their heads because of our lack of a true #1. that said i'm glad he'll be back next season. 7

taormina- i like him, but i think his time in the organization is up. he's been passed on the depth chart by younger guys with higher ceilings imo. doubt he's back. 5

volchenkov- a great guy to have on your bottom pairing to lay the wood and and work the pk. volch is the prototypical 4th/5th shutdown d-man. it's just too bad he's so damn overpaid. 7

zidlicky- he really wasn't the same after the simmonds hit in game 5 vs. philly. before that though he had been great offensively and adequate defensively in his short time with us. he remains our best offensive weapon from the blueline. that said, i'm glad next year is the last on his contract. 6

Old
06-12-2012, 05:38 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

I more or less agree with your assessment of Greene, but one thing about him is that he pretty much always steps up his game in the playoffs. This year was no different. He was very solid and arguably the most consistent D man. He would be a great number 3 IMO.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Lou Should Try to Keep:

Parise (
Gionta
Carter
Ponikarovsky (only on a 1 yr low money deal)
Brodeur

Lou Should Let Go:

Sykora
Salvador
Bernier
Janssen
Boulton
Hedberg
Harrold

Old
06-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Billdo

vCash: 50
As much as losing Parise can suck, the following year is a much bigger issue if we don't have guys coming through the pipeline. Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson, Fayne are all UFA's. Thats going to spell trouble since we don't negotiate during current contracts. Throw that in with Tedenby, Josefsson, and Henrique all becoming RFA's and we could be doomed. We need to extend contracts. Guys like Henrique will get big money on the open market, can't let it get to that point.

Closed Thread