HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Stanley Cup Final Game #6 - NJD at LAK, postmortem edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
KohoDonuts88

vCash: 500
I'd be getting ready to drive to New Jersey for Game 7 right about now.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

Inconsistency officiating is always a pain in the ass.

That said, I definitely have a tinfoil hat on my head.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

When is the last time bad calls actually went our way? Something is up.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
refs sucked most of the playoffs, nothing new here. I certainly don’t think it was intentional. we lost to a better team. we would’ve needed the refs to be that lopsided the OTHER way for us to have a chance last night, and even then our PP probably wouldn’t have gotten it done.
I disagree with this. I think barring crazy stuff like the calls, noncalls, linesman picks, this would have been a close game, like the previous 5 have been. Maybe NJ wins, maybe not, but I would have much rather watched the Devils lose a hockey game, than in the circus game 6 became.

Anyway, what's done is done. And for some reason, to me this run doesn't seem like the beginning of something, like '94 felt like. This feels kind of like the end of something, with so many important guys either nearing the end of their careers or FA's or whatever. I hope I'm wrong, because this was a lot of fun. I almost forgot what a blast deep playoff runs are.

Old
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Concept View Post
I have always had the same opinion. What cost us in that year was not finishing the Canes in round 1 in a sweep. It took 6 games to finish them off. Plus Marty was really off his game in that Cup Final. Don't know what it was. Was it Roy? His failed first marriage? I mean we dominated some games in that playoff especially against the Penguins. I guess not having home ice and the league (Buttmen) conspired against us.

In football I'm a Raiders fan and their best season was 1977 (the year after their Super Bowl win). But they lost to the Broncos in the Championship game.
I don't really agree. We forced a game 7 in the Cup finals. It came down to one 60 minute game, and we weren't the better team. Pretty much it.

Besides, in retrospect, that Avalanche team was absolutely stacked.

Old
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
How depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
I disagree with this. I think barring crazy stuff like the calls, noncalls, linesman picks, this would have been a close game, like the previous 5 have been. Maybe NJ wins, maybe not, but I would have much rather watched the Devils lose a hockey game, than in the circus game 6 became.

Anyway, what's done is done. And for some reason, to me this run doesn't seem like the beginning of something, like '94 felt like. This feels kind of like the end of something, with so many important guys either nearing the end of their careers or FA's or whatever. I hope I'm wrong, because this was a lot of fun. I almost forgot what a blast deep playoff runs are.
We'll still make the playoffs yearly like we always do, Luke.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:15 PM
One7nine

http://larrybrownsports.com/hockey/k...coaches/141016

Classy

Old
06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Team Concept

Quote:

There are TWO major issues that could affect this team's future. One is obviously the goaltending. Replacing a legend like Marty is nearly impossible. I'm not sure if Wedgewood, Clermont, or Kinkaid is the answer moving forward.

Secondly, our forward prospect pool is simply dreadful (I'm not counting our graduations like Henrique Josefson, etc...). I'm talking 2 or 3 years down the line. We have to go all forward in this draft year or perhaps trade Larsson, Merrill, or Gelinas for a blue chip forward in the next couple of years.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:19 PM
CerebralGenesis

Niedermayer was a carrot, like Zidlicky style, for the finals series too.

I hate Domi and my tinfoil hat hates Colorado. Their recent struggles bring me nothing but joy.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Queensdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
I took off from work tomorrow, it's gonna be a long night sitting in my house.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Team Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Niedermayer was a carrot, like Zidlicky style, for the finals series too.

I hate Domi and my tinfoil hat hates Colorado. Their recent struggles bring me nothing but joy.

Good point. Forgot about that.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Eh, I'm not sure. Both teams proved that once you make the playoffs, anything can happen. The hardest replacement for this team is Lamoriello. If we can get someone who can fill his shoes, we'll be fine.

Brodeur is an easy fix in today's NHL. Dress a guy with oversized pads and you'll be fine.

Josefson is Elias' replacement if he can stay healthy.

Those are really the only two older core players on this team.

If we continue to draft and develop well, this team will be fine.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4vHSuXm0F7vLYF

Old
06-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Tundra

Quote:
There are TWO major issues that could affect this team's future. One is obviously the goaltending. Replacing a legend like Marty is nearly impossible. I'm not sure if Wedgewood, Clermont, or Kinkaid is the answer moving forward.

Secondly, our forward prospect pool is simply dreadful (I'm not counting our graduations like Henrique Josefson, etc...). I'm talking 2 or 3 years down the line. We have to go all forward in this draft year or perhaps trade Larsson, Merrill, or Gelinas for a blue chip forward in the next couple of years.
Besides Reid Boucher, we don't have much below Albany forward wise. We're loaded on defense though.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
apice3*

Quote:

The reason our prospect pool is depleted of forwards is because they're all at the NHL level.

Most teams have 1-3 solid forward prospects playing in the minors. Our top forward prospects are playing in the NHL. Tedenby is the only one left that needs to break through.

Gelinas or Urbom are the only D prospects I would trade. Larsson and Merrill are non starters unless we land a Suter, Enstrom, or some #1 D-man beforehand.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Team Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Besides Reid Boucher, we don't have much below Albany forward wise. We're loaded on defense though.

I agree Reid Boucher is it. I mean there might be some bottom 6 talent. But how are we going to plug the top 6 positions? Elias, Zubrus, Parise?

Old
06-12-2012, 01:27 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Ewww.

Quote:

We're not trading Larsson. Why would you even consider that? We just got him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One7nine View Post
Whoa! Shouldn't there be some type of reprecussions from this?

Old
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:

Old
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I agree Reid Boucher is it. I mean there might be some bottom 6 talent. But how are we going to plug the top 6 positions? Elias, Zubrus, Parise?
Parise will stay. Elias is replaced by Josefson. Zubrus is replaced by a free agent or surprise prospect.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Team Concept

I wouldn't have a problem picking all forwards in this year's draft. I want offensive playmakers (no grinders or goons). I know we will most likely begin with the 2nd round pick, but hopefully Lou and Conte have scoured the world to unearth something to give us hope. No Adrian Foster, Suglobov, or Teemu Laine's.

Old
billingtons ghost

Quote:

I agree with everything you said. There is no way to replace Marty, but as we've seen with Moose, Clemmenson - if we put a semi-decent goalie back there, the team can still win. I'm sure come playoff time, we'll miss Marty dreadfully, but I could see getting excited about young Wedgewood making some stops.

You have to figure:
Parise (hopefully), Kovy, Zajac, Henrique, Joseffson, Clarkson are the core going forward. That's a decent 6 but you figure you need two players to push Clarkie/Josefsson to the third line. Tedenby might join that group. Bernier, Carter, Gio might continue as 4th liners, but I doubt it. We might get one (Hoefel, Boucher?) prospect from the AHL in the next 2-3 years.

Lou can pull bottom 6 forwards out of his arse but I'm afraid that you are right in that several of: Greene, Fayne, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, Urbom, Burlon may have to go away in order to get a forward.

Old
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't really agree. We forced a game 7 in the Cup finals. It came down to one 60 minute game, and we weren't the better team. Pretty much it.

Besides, in retrospect, that Avalanche team was absolutely stacked.
Bobby Holik has talked about how the extra games against Carolina and Toronto that year caught up to them in the finals. Guys weren't always focused and playing the unnecessary games hurt them later.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Bobby Holik has talked about how the extra games against Carolina and Toronto that year caught up to them in the finals. Guys weren't always focused and playing the unnecessary games hurt them later.
I'd agree if we were swept or lost in 5.

When you get to a game 7, the reason you lose the Cup is because you lost one game.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Team Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Parise will stay. Elias is replaced by Josefson. Zubrus is replaced by a free agent or surprise prospect.

I don't think Josefson is equal to Elias. I see Josefson as a third line checking center based on his defensive awareness. The way its going he is going to have years like
2 goals and 32 assists with his reluctance to shoot pucks on net.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Why?

Closed Thread