HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on potential upgrades for 3rd line LW?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
I think you could keep Pouliot and still see improvement at third line LW. His game clearly and visibly improved as the season went on, as long as all that progress doesn't magically disappear between now and September, we should be getting mid to late season Pouliot from game 1 on, rather than starting in game 25 or so.

Besides, while I'm officially on the path of patience with Knight and Spooner, I can't deny the possibiliy that they'll be just as likely to produce as a geriatric like Whitney or a chronic underachiver like Penner.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

PA Parenteau I believe is available according to twitter.

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Jeez, If I'm Chia and Neely, I really think it depends on a few things...

- Is Horton ok? When will he be back (opener? Christmas? All Star game?)

If Horton is out for any period of time, that becomes a much greater need than
a 3rd line left wing... Can Pevs handle the 1RW duties while we plug a spare
part into the 3rd line?

Looch - Krejci - Pevs
March - Berg - Segs
Poo/Caron - Kelly - Pie
Knight - Campbell - Thornton
- Personally, I would not want to see this line up for any extended length of time...

- Is Segs ready for 1C duties? If so, do you trade Krech for 1st line talent?

Looch - Segs - B. Ryan
March - Berg - Horton
Poo/Caron - Kelly - Pevs
Thornton - Campbell - Pie
- Looks nice, but can Segs handle the duties? Much easier to move Pevs up
into Horton's spot if he's out for any period of time.

- Is Thomas serious? Do we have his cap hit or can we flip him for something?

Parise - DK - Segs
Looch - Berg - Horton
Marsh - Kelly - Pevs
- This line up makes me drool!!!

Anyhow - thats a lot of "What If's"...

Back to reality - I could see something along the lines of:
Looch - Krejci - Horton
March - Berg - Segs
A Kostitsyn - Kelly - Pevs
Caron/Knight

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:32 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

I have no interest in improving the 3rd on it's own. What I want is a top 6 forward to hedge their bets that Horton will return to form. By adding a top 6 forward, you would have a player on the top 6 bumped down to a 3rd line roll, and by default you'd be improving two areas of need instead of one. A top down, not bottom up approach is what's needed here. Instead though, I'm pretty confident that PC is going to go out and get more depth.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Oates2Neely

If Im Chia I sign Pouliot regardless. I would like to see some competition in camp, jobs up for grabs. Injuries WILL happen. If Chia signs Poo, & a guy like Kostytsin,, it will ratchet things up a bit in camp,, not too mention Caron Spooner & Knight looking for jobs.

Id love Parise, but realistically its unlikely to happen. Forget trading Krejci,, this Bruins team has a great core, w/ good young talent ready to break through any season now. Id like to see Chia find a gem, a guy who can score 25 & not cost an arm & leg. (Kostystin, Stafford, Hudler, etc...), maybe on a short deal one or two years.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
patty59

It's the only spot available on the roster, they might just let the kids play it out.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdasmurf2 View Post
PA Parenteau I believe is available according to twitter.
And may be looking for 5mill per. I think they fill that spot through the kids honestly.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Doan would be ideal. Probably cost far too much however.
Ryan Smyth would be good w/ Kelly & Peverly,, could also plug into top-6.
Don't discount Andrei Kostitsyn, kid has some serious talent, good scoring ability. Cliche to say ofcourse but I think on this Bruins team (plenty leadership) AK could slot in nicely & be a good soldier.

One guy whos name I dont read here often is Drew Stafford. I really like his game, I think he could thrive here.
Kostitsyn is lazy as hell and on a 3rd line won't produce. If he isn't involved offensively he is useless. Watched a lot of him during his time in Montreal and was never really impressed

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I have no interest in improving the 3rd on it's own. What I want is a top 6 forward to hedge their bets that Horton will return to form. By adding a top 6 forward, you would have a player on the top 6 bumped down to a 3rd line roll, and by default you'd be improving two areas of need instead of one. A top down, not bottom up approach is what's needed here. Instead though, I'm pretty confident that PC is going to go out and get more depth.
I agree, I just dont think the top-6 'talent' is available right now (not at a fair cost anyhow).

Also, one definition of 'top-6 forward' may vary. Is Ryan Smyth, AK, Drew Stafford, Ray Whitney, Ryan Malone considered top-6?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
And may be looking for 5mill per. I think they fill that spot through the kids honestly.
God I would hope so. Giving 5 million a year to Parenteau would be worse than the 4 million Lapointe got back in the day.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Kostitsyn is lazy as hell and on a 3rd line won't produce. If he isn't involved offensively he is useless. Watched a lot of him during his time in Montreal and was never really impressed
In Montreal he certainly was, but I saw him up his game & get far more motivated in his stint in Nashville. If not for the Radulov incident, I really think Poille would be looking to lock him up. Again, w/ Kelly & Peverly skating with you, how can you NOT give it 100% ?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
In Montreal he certainly was, but I saw him up his game & get far more motivated in his stint in Nashville. If not for the Radulov incident, I really think Poille would be looking to lock him up. Again, w/ Kelly & Peverly skating with you, how can you NOT give it 100% ?
He wants to be involved offensively and wants pp time and all, he wouldn't be getting any here cause he ain't better than any of our top 6 players

Old
06-12-2012, 09:47 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
It's the only spot available on the roster, they might just let the kids play it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
This is what I think they're going to do as well. Roll with what they have and hope someone else steps up in camp and takes the spot. Still leaves them dangerously thin up front and banking on Horton to come back strong, which is a huge risk, IMO.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
He wants to be involved offensively and wants pp time and all, he wouldn't be getting any here cause he ain't better than any of our top 6 players
Julien rolls 4 lines, his 3rd line (Kelly line) gets ample ice time. Im not sure if AK would demand PP time, Ive never read or heard any news relating to that, but it's not impossible to think he could earn PP time here in Boston.

Lucic
Krejci
Horton (will be be healthy &/orr effective?)
Marchand
Bergeron (will he play the point on PP?)
Seguin
Peverly (was ok on PP, but I wouldn't count him as a lock for consistant PP time)

My point is, IF AK came in & skated hard, he could certainly work his way onto PP.

In the past 3 years, how many Bruins forwards can we legitimately say 'slacked' or 'dogged' it? Imo it just doesnt happen in Boston, the enviroment doesnt allow such. Its hard for me to believe any forward acquired would come into Boston & be "lazy'

Old
06-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Cid

NO MORE 3rd LINERS! This team already has enough.

Get a scoring winger for the top line and then someone from the top 6 gets bumped out and plays on the 3rd line.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
This is what I think they're going to do as well. Roll with what they have and hope someone else steps up in camp and takes the spot. Still leaves them dangerously thin up front and banking on Horton to come back strong, which is a huge risk, IMO.
Unless they plan on moving Caron or someone else from the forward group for some help or to move up in the draft and sign someone.

I think the roster is pretty much set, with that last 3rd line spot between Caron, Knight and Sauve.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I would be ok with signing Semin, only for a year though.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
JiriSlegr71

i'd rather have a 26 year old pouliot than a 37 year old doan or a 40 year old whitney.

JiriSlegr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
JiriSlegr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
I would be ok with signing Semin, only for a year though.
no thanks. he's a dog.

JiriSlegr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriSlegr71 View Post
i'd rather have a 26 year old pouliot than a 37 year old doan or a 40 year old whitney.
I would rather have the better player and not worry about age.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I like the suggestion but think now Campbell and Kelly are back one of the internal options ends up there Kelly and Peverley are our luxury 3rd liners (damn good guys to pay a little more for at that!) So I don't see another 3rd liner being signed to play LW with Pevs and Kelly any big name aquisition would skate with Patrice or Dave IMO.

Jagr Semiin or Radulov are the guys I go for to play with Krejci. Ryan and Nash are guys I would trade Krejci for (small list as I like him.)

Radulov is coming over from Nashville who plays the same style as us and will have a chip on his shoulder no reason to not grab him and plug him in and Jagr has a good slow it down game perfect for Dave K and would help the PP. Semin can snipe better than Seguin so itll take some pressure of Tyler. This is the final forward I add to the team.

I think the internal options to fill that last top 9 spot all have higher offensive potential than Pouliot (who I like but I see the potential with him defensively with his long reach and only occasional moments of brilliance/competence with the puck.) Horton, Caron, Peverley should float around the top 9 and Spooner, Knight, Kokolachev could force the Bruins hand and if they do its probably not going to be Paille or Thornton's spot... All these options are a little higher end offensively than Poo IMO and your guaranteed one of them is in that LW spot if a new top 6 guy comes cause where else are they gonna play?

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriSlegr71 View Post
no thanks. he's a dog.
He might be lazy sometimes, but you can't deny that adding a talent like him to the top 6 wouldn't be a significant addition, especially considering Horton and the uncertainty of what's going on with him.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Really the top 2 lines aren't good enough on the wing if healthy?

You have Krejci centering 2 guys who should be good for 25+ goals.

You have Bergeron centering Marchand who should be good for 25, and Seguin who should improve to 35+ this year.

Now admittedly Seguin is the only guy who is probably a threat for 40+, but your top 2 lines should produce 160+ goals if they remain healthy
No, they are not good enough. Here's why, and you hit on it yourself:

- Nathan Horton is too big of a health risk. He should be penciled in as a third liner and if he ever gives you top line production again consider it a huge W.
- Aside from Seguin you don't have a bona fide first line wing.
- Krejci is a great 2nd line center and a mediocre first line center. Same thing for Bergeron.
- This team lacks skill. You can see it everywhere. Their puck support makes up for some of this, but it hurts them on the power play (badly) and around the net.

Let's be honest, Marchand and Lucic could easily be third line wingers. When you throw in the Horton situation and the abysmal power play, you have a team that needs a front line player, badly.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I like the suggestion but think now Campbell and Kelly are back one of the internal options ends up there Kelly and Peverley are our luxury 3rd liners (damn good guys to pay a little more for at that!) So I don't see another 3rd liner being signed to play LW with Pevs and Kelly any big name aquisition would skate with Patrice or Dave IMO.

Jagr Semiin or Radulov are the guys I go for to play with Krejci. Ryan and Nash are guys I would trade Krejci for (small list as I like him.)

Radulov is coming over from Nashville who plays the same style as us and will have a chip on his shoulder no reason to not grab him and plug him in and Jagr has a good slow it down game perfect for Dave K and would help the PP. Semin can snipe better than Seguin so itll take some pressure of Tyler. This is the final forward I add to the team.

I think the internal options to fill that last top 9 spot all have higher offensive potential than Pouliot (who I like but I see the potential with him defensively with his long reach and only occasional moments of brilliance/competence with the puck.) Horton, Caron, Peverley should float around the top 9 and Spooner, Knight, Kokolachev could force the Bruins hand and if they do its probably not going to be Paille or Thornton's spot... All these options are a little higher end offensively than Poo IMO and your guaranteed one of them is in that LW spot if a new top 6 guy comes cause where else are they gonna play?
Radulov is certainly someone with the skill, but his effort and commitment are giant red flags. I can't see giving up anything of any real value for a guy like that, and God only knows what kind of dough he's going to be looking for on top of it all.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Now, they are not good enough. Here's why, and you hit on it yourself:

- Nathan Horton is too big of a health risk. He should be penciled in as a third liner and if he ever gives you top line production again consider it a huge W.
- Aside from Seguin you don't have a bona fide first line LW.
- Krejci is a great 2nd line center and a mediocre first line center. Same thing for Bergeron.
- This team lacks skill. You can see it everywhere. Their puck support makes up for some of this, but it hurts them on the power play (badly) and around the net.

Let's be honest, Marchand and Lucic could easily be third line wingers. When you throw in the Horton situation and the abysmal power play, you have a team that needs a front line player, badly.
This is it exactly. Depth is good, but it kills this team that they lack the necessary skill to convert on the PP when it matters most.