HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on potential upgrades for 3rd line LW?

Old
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
And you can, as long as the player you bring in is a UFA, like Parise is. He's obviously the top target of everyone, but there are other UFA's that could slid into a top 6 roll. Jagr is a guy who you wouldn't bury on a 3rd line, so you put him up with DK and see how it goes. He's old, but he'd at least be a decent option if Horton doesn't come back to form. Whitney too. Semin again would cost you nothing but money. He's got warts in his game, but he's a top 6 talent. Selanne too. Point is, there are players out there that you can add without taking anything away. I personally would like them to take a run at Bobby Ryan, but that would cost you a guy like DK plus.
I agree. However there is very lil realistically available via ufa.

Parise: most likely resigns w/ NJ,, possibly Detroit or Minny? 30 teams will be tossing offers his way come 7/1/12

Jagr: Ive mentioned him in the past as a great option on Krejci's wing. However reports suggest he is close to signing w/ Philly again.

Whitney: could be good, but aging & not much speed.

Semin: Imo will be looking for pay day, perhaps preferably w/ a team w/ russian players? Doesnt seem like a Chiarelli/ Neely type player.

Selanne: Anaheim or retire.

Like I said, if Chia wants to trade for a top-6 talent, he will need to give up top-6 talent (or Hamilton).

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Well obviously you don't make the Krejci trade til you sign Parise. The cap doesn't count til Day 1 right?
Wrong, you can only exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason. Something might be workable with Savard going on LTIR though.

But none of that really matters because I have a better chance of flying to the moon by flapping my ears than seeing Parise sign here.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:38 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
Wrong, you can only exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason. Something might be workable with Savard going on LTIR though.

But none of that really matters because I have a better chance of flying to the moon by flapping my ears than seeing Parise sign here.
I'd love to know why anyone thinks that's the case. It makes no sense to me.

Prior to this year there were a lot of whispers that Parise might be interested in signing here. The Bruins are a top 5 team that will offer him a chance to win right away. The Bruins need what he brings.

If the cap is the only reason it seems so impossible to you, it's a resolvable situation. There are plenty of teams that would trade picks/prospects for Krejci. You've already got Seguin who wants to play Center and Kelly who could fill a 2nd line center role. The Bruins could make a very competitive, very aggressive move for Parise.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Jagr isn't coming here, he'll stay in Philly since he's a good fit there.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
I'd love to know why anyone thinks that's the case. It makes no sense to me.

Prior to this year there were a lot of whispers that Parise might be interested in signing here. The Bruins are a top 5 team that will offer him a chance to win right away. The Bruins need what he brings.

If the cap is the only reason it seems so impossible to you, it's a resolvable situation. There are plenty of teams that would trade picks/prospects for Krejci. You've already got Seguin who wants to play Center and Kelly who could fill a 2nd line center role. The Bruins could make a very competitive, very aggressive move for Parise.
If they can, there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't imo. There's no player out there that fits our needs better. A lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen though. Chia has to first be willing to deal krejci, and I'm not sure if he would be. More importantly however, Boston has to be top of Parise's list. He'll have his choice of locale.

My guess is he and Suter both go to Detroit.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
If they can, there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't imo. There's no player out there that fits our needs better. A lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen though. Chia has to first be willing to deal krejci, and I'm not sure if he would be. More importantly however, Boston has to be top of Parise's list. He'll have his choice of locale.

My guess is he and Suter both go to Detroit.
I don't think that Detroit rumor holds water. They'd have to take good paycuts for that to work. I could see Suter for sure since they need defensemen desperately now, but Parise would have to come cheap. EVery year some journalist floats a story that a few UFA's are teaming up and they never actually do.

I think Parise is going to have a ton of suitors, but I see no reason the Bruins can't compete with them AND possibly be one of the best teams in the hunt. And I agree 100%...he should be the Bruins one and only target.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Good thread, Bill. A lot of good discussion here.

To chime:

I'm surprised at the amount of support for "staying pat" and not making any more signings. The people who argue in favor of this MUST realize that they are arguing for the Bruins to NOT be contenders... And to be sitting on a great deal of cap space.

The potential is there to improve this team. If we sit millions of dollars under the cap limit and LOSE (which we surely would with Pouliot being re-signed for the third line), it would be a disastrous waste of a season.

I was in favor of giving a kid or two a shot... But there's no longer any room. And I don't think giving a guy who perhaps maybe has a chance to hopefully have a career season and score 45 points, is the answer either. We need a serious upgrade to the top nine. A cinch for 50 points or better. Even then, I'm not sure it's enough.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I don't think that Detroit rumor holds water. They'd have to take good paycuts for that to work. I could see Suter for sure since they need defensemen desperately now, but Parise would have to come cheap. EVery year some journalist floats a story that a few UFA's are teaming up and they never actually do.

I think Parise is going to have a ton of suitors, but I see no reason the Bruins can't compete with them AND possibly be one of the best teams in the hunt. And I agree 100%...he should be the Bruins one and only target.
Detroit could sign them both for $10M a piece and STILL have more than enough room to sign the remaining player or two to fill out their roster.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I don't know how it would work (salary or otherwise). It's a round hole/square peg fit.

But I'd be interested in bringing Semin aboard.

The guy has the deadliest shot in the NHL and having that weapon on this Bruins team would make them scary. He wouldn't fit on SOME rosters... If your team is known to have a lot of egos on it, a history of only playing when one feels like it, meltdowns in the playoffs, or even an abundance of high-end talent - I don't think Semin is as valuable to your club.

But for the Bruins, with one-goal games that are traditionally incredibly tight-played, tough and tenacious... Semin's ability to score at almost random, on plays that don't look dangerous, with shots that are impossible to defend? I think that's our tipping point to being dominant.

It's a really bad idea for so many reasons too (I've hated the idea for a long time)... But I think the rewards would be significant.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:30 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'd open it up to Bourque, Caron, Knight, Sauve....pass on Pouliot

hopefully this is what happens and I expect since I been on an epic run predicting this stuff of late- this Seri I got gives me all the answers and its coming back, Chiarelli will be no the Vineyard by mid July with all things done

Tuukka signed, Thomas gone
Kelly and Campbell reupped

all good- great job Chia, great job

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
questhockey

3rd line LW....Imo the best fit for Bruins is

Kulemin on Leafs

The kid is excellent 2 way player, rubs guys out hard on boards, and usually comes away with the puck. Fast as lightning, and can put up points, has 20-30 in him proven. Can play 2nd line if someone goes down with injury.
Great on PK, too bad rest of Leafs suck at it. Really watch Kulemin play and you'd be supprised how tough and fast and skilled he is.
Plus might go cheap due to last years falter.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'd open it up to Bourque, Caron, Knight, Sauve....pass on Pouliot

hopefully this is what happens and I expect since I been on an epic run predicting this stuff of late- this Seri I got gives me all the answers and its coming back, Chiarelli will be no the Vineyard by mid July with all things done

Tuukka signed, Thomas gone
Kelly and Campbell reupped

all good- great job Chia, great job
Depends on what Pouliot is looking for. If it's a slight bump, and it's not preventing us from signing anyone this year, I don't see the harm in bringing him in. I don't think there's any evidence that Chris Bourque is going to win a spot on the 3rd line in Boston.

At least if you bring Pouliot back..the disaster scenario (Horton stays injured, Sauve injured as always, Knight not ready) looks like this:

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Begeron-Caron
Pouliot-Kelly-Pevs
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Now, I'd prefer they do something ELSE, it doesn't need to be Parise/Nash/Iginla could just as well be Morrow/Doan/Whitney

But with Pouliot under team control, you could at least deal a workable asset to a borderline playoff team in addition to a prospect for a better player in trade.

Allowing those 4 players you spoke of to compete for a spot leaves you dangerously thin if something goes wrong.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
24giovanni

I like the following of one of the two:

Semin---Krejci---Horton
Lucic---Bergeron---Sequin
Marchand---Kelly---Peverley
Paile---Campbell---Thornton

or

Marchand---Krejci---Horton
Lucic---Bergeron---Sequin
Whitney---Kelly---Peverley
Paile---Campbell---Thornton

24giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:00 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

To chime:

I'm surprised at the amount of support for "staying pat" and not making any more signings. The people who argue in favor of this MUST realize that they are arguing for the Bruins to NOT be contenders... And to be sitting on a great deal of cap space.

The potential is there to improve this team. If we sit millions of dollars under the cap limit and LOSE (which we surely would with Pouliot being re-signed for the third line), it would be a disastrous waste of a season.

I was in favor of giving a kid or two a shot... But there's no longer any room. And I don't think giving a guy who perhaps maybe has a chance to hopefully have a career season and score 45 points, is the answer either. We need a serious upgrade to the top nine. A cinch for 50 points or better. Even then, I'm not sure it's enough.
Agree 100%. Since the lockout, the only team devoid of top notch skill players scattered about were our beloved Boston Bruins....and that was with THREE game 7's, a super human goaltending performance, and a collective team effort that I haven't seen for ages.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I want everyone back to they can be happy and their feelings won't be hurt.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I want everyone back to they can be happy and their feelings won't be hurt.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy
Some people get too emotionally attached, what you want to do

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriSlegr71 View Post
no thanks. he's a dog.
Semin's a dog?

Yikes...I'd hate to hear his master call him.....

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriSlegr71 View Post
i'd rather have a 26 year old pouliot than a 37 year old doan or a 40 year old whitney.
Yeah, I agree, it's much better having Pouliot (16G, 16A) than Whitney (24G, 53A) and Doan (22G, 28A), two old and useless guys.

Quote:

To chime:

So, we are discussing this since last year, no? A lot of cap space, Ryder/Recchi gone and Pouliot as the solution...

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Really says something when you have guys like Lord Ahriman, Mr Make Believe, neelynugs and Bill Ladd not exactly thrilled with Chiarelli's game plan moving forward..When posters like that feel that way it makes you think....

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Agree 100%. Since the lockout, the only team devoid of top notch skill players scattered about were our beloved Boston Bruins....and that was with THREE game 7's, a super human goaltending performance, and a collective team effort that I haven't seen for ages.
The game 7 thing to me is funny. We ding that team because they went to 3 game 7's and won.

2008 - Montreal Game 7 loss
2009 - Carolina Game 7 loss
2010 - Philadelphia Game 7 loss
2012 - Washington Game 7 loss.

This team was due for some game 7 good fortune. Lest we believe there is something inherent about the Bruins makeup that makes them vulnerable in game 7s.

Since we have zero idea of what might have happened in the latter 3 playoffs after the series they lost in, I hesitate to say we won't ever contend without an influx of skill.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:

To chime:

Or maybe the people fine with standing pat just think the Bruins are a better team than you do and that they ARE contenders. They had the best best goal differential in NHL last year a year after winning the Cup. If that's not a contender, what is? The 6th seeded Devils who we demolished all year or the squeak into playoffs last week of the year Kings?

Personally, I'm all for being more aggressive and was disappointed with their approach last off-season. But standing pat with a team this good is not the end of the world. They are without a doubt contenders, you are just totally overreacting to 1 series that we lost by a goal when our top 6 underachieved.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Really says something when you have guys like Lord Ahriman, Mr Make Believe, neelynugs and Bill Ladd not exactly thrilled with Chiarelli's game plan moving forward..When posters like that feel that way it makes you think....
It says they're panicking prematurely. We're 10 days from the draft, 19 from free agency and probably months from finding out how our young forward core will continue to develop.

I'm sure there were some on June 12, 2010 that were taking the same view of things.

Nathan Horton was acquired on June 22nd.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing
My guess on Parise's 2012-'13 team tote board: 1 Detroit, 2 Toronto, 3 Rangers, 4 Minnesota, 5 Boston.

lol at toronto
I think he forgot New Jersey.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I think he forgot New Jersey.
It's Peter King. He's not exactly well connected in the hockey world. He's nothing more than a blowhard wind bag who makes crap up to fill his obscenely long MMQB columns. I put zero stock in whatever he says.

One thing I think I know: Peter King doesn't have a clue when it comes to hockey.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
If Bergeron is going to be the #1 checker.. I am not sure how I feel about Seguin being on his wing. If some how they could flip Krejci for a RW... I would really like:

Lucic-Seguin-RW
Marchand-Bergeron-Horton
Peverley-Kelly-Caron

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote