HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LAKings Fan Story: To Slovenia and Back!‏

Old
06-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

vCash: 500
LAKings Fan Story: To Slovenia and Back!‏

First, I just want to say that my family(4 boys, 2 girls, Mother and Father) are huge Kings fans. My Dad has been a fan of the team since the beginning in 1967 and is the reason why we are such an insane hockey family in Southern California. We all grew up playing ice hockey and my Dad played as a youth in Minnesota.

Also, I am not a big fan of self promotion, but I think that maybe the Kings or at least some Kings fans may be interested in hearing about an incredible story that I was lucky enough to be a part of....and I am hoping that in a couple of days the story will be even brighter!

I will just give a quick overview of what has happened to me over the last year and how it relates heavily to the Kings. Everything just happened the way it happened. I didn’t really have these intentions in my mind before leaving, aside from just thinking about how cool it would be to meet Kopitar in Slovenia. So, when these opportunities arose I had to take full advantage of them.

Last May, I took a trip to Europe which was originally only supposed to be a 3 month journey. I really had no plans, just visiting a bunch of friends I have all around Europe so, roaming around and trying to make the most of the time that I was there.

The main country that I wanted to visit was Slovenia, and Kopitar was the main reason why I even knew about the country(I googled this amazing place after the Kings drafted him in 2005).

Clip of me talking about Kopitar on a Slovenian Tv show, 1/4 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw663svHlFY

After a month or so I sent out an email to Kopi's website saying that I am a huge Kings fan traveling in Europe and will be heading to Slovenia soon. They replied with a ton of recommended places to visit in Slovenia and then told me to let them know when I was actually in the country.

When I finally arrived in Slovenia, after traveling for 2 months, I sent them another message. They told me that Kopitar would be practicing with his father and a few other National players in Bled and to come down and watch. Kopitar gave me some time after and he signed a postcard for my Dad(it was my Dad's Birthday that same day)… “Happy Birthday Sam!” Kopitar was great and the whole experience was very cool. I also did a ton of other awesome things while in the country including spending 3 days in the Alps and climbing Slovenia's highest and most famous mountain, Mt Triglav, when I was there.

I ended up staying in Europe much longer than I had originally planned. I decided I was having too much fun over there so, I cancelled my original flight home and just kept going. Since I was still going to be there I had to see the Kings play while I was “down the street”. A once in a lifetime opportunity.

I made my way up to Hamburg, from Slovenia, for the pre-season game against the Freezers. I was lucky enough to meet Robitaille and Nicholls at a Kings practice and then enjoy the great atmosphere at the game the next day. Nothing like football style chants at a hockey game. Really cool!

Then, I headed up to Stockholm to see them open up the season against the Rangers. It was awesome. It was great being able to see my favorite team play an NHL game live and in person when I was 6,000+ miles away from home.

Six months passed and I continued wandering Europe. I would wake up at 3am, 4am, 4:30am, whenever I could to catch a live stream of the Kings. Many friends thought that I was crazy, but I just told them...."I love hockey and I love the Kings so, it doesn't seem so crazy to me".. I would wake up to watch full games and if I wasn't able to catch a stream I would watch the highlights online the next day. I was traveling around a beautiful place with so many things to see and do....and I did see and do a ton of things, but I always had hockey and the Kings on my mind.

It was great to be able to see the games and email back and forth with my Dad about what is happening with the Kings, but of course, the biggest thing was that I missed going to the games with him. Taking the Blue Line to DT L.A. and experiencing the joy and the pain live, with my father, was something that I could not recreate being so far from home. The bond that my Dad and I share through hockey is truly something special.

The Kings make the playoffs! I set my alarm for every playoff game. Friends continue to call me crazy and laugh.. I say..."Hey, this is important to me, it's important to my family. It may seem strange to you, but it's more than just a hockey game for me"... The Kings are rolling teams and I start thinking...

"I need to come home for this. I cannot be away from my Dad if the Kings finally seal the deal. I will cry forever if I am not with my Pops and they do what he's been waiting 45 years for them to do"

I booked my flight home without telling my family that I was coming. I was gone one year. May 28th, 2011 to May 27th, 2012..I thought "I will surprise my family, it will be amazing and I will enjoy these Cup Finals with my Father, family, and hopefully watch them do this thing!"

Surprising my parents..First thing my Dad says... "THE STANLEY CUP!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mb5PzbMHy4

Anyways, I have arrived, I've surprised my parents and the rest of my family after a year abroad and I have purchased tickets to Game 4 of the Cup Finals in Los Angeles where I will attend with my Father and one of my brothers.

Personally, I think it's a pretty crazy story and I am definitely happy how things have worked out so far. If the Kings do this, it will be an amazing book end to an incredible year...not just for hockey, but for my family and I.

Thank you so much for reading.

I hope that this was at least somewhat interesting and I would love for the Kings to know the types of dedicated fans that they have here in the Los Angeles area!!

Thanks again, and of course, Let's Go KINGS!!!

-Kevin

P.S. Sorry if it sounds like I am rambling..I am way too excited and I am also getting over a 24 stomach bug which has made me completely delirious.

Pictures: Kopi and I, My Dad and I playing on his 70th Bday(3 years ago), My Dad shredding on his 70th Bday(3 years ago)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KopiMeInBled.jpg‎ (131.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Pass.jpg‎ (50.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 70thBirthday.jpg‎ (37.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Thingsneverlast: 06-04-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: misspelling
Thingsneverlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Just wonderful, thank you for sharing.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
William H Bonney

Great story. Sounds like an amazing trip and the ride is still going. Nice to have you join the boards and even better for you and your family to be together again and watch the Kings hoist the Cup!!

06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
riseandfall9

I love my dad too. I would have done the same.

Great story!

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Nefarious
Brad Doty

Awesome! Very inspiring. Thank you for posting this!

Sounds like you had an experience of a life time.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Slycer

Brilliant story!

All the best from Slovenia!

Slycer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:52 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

That's tremendous, hopefully you're in for some excitement in game 4

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
Brilliant story!

All the best from Slovenia!
Thanks guys. It definitely was an amazing experience and a trip of a lifetime.

I was fortunate enough to have a place to crash for the better part of about 2 months in Slovenia. I stayed in Maribor, Ljubljana(majority of my time), Kobarid, and Bohinj. I would take tons of day trips and ended up seeing a good amount of the country, the lakes, rivers and Alps being my favorite.

Slovenia is such a beautiful and, dare I say, majestic place. Honestly a lot of it seems like a dream. I am big into hiking, camping, mountains and nature in general so, that is really the main reason I went there. The country is like a diamond in the ruff with many people writing it off since it was formerly Yugoslavia. I'd say 99% of Americans have never even heard of it(heck, it took a hockey player drafted in 2005 to tip me off, and I was a Geography major!!) and surprisingly I met some other Europeans that had no clue where it even was

Even though I met some insanely great people and did some amazing things on that entire year away, Slovenia, hands down, was my favorite place. When I first arrived there, I just felt really comfortable and at ease. The people, the overall beauty of the country and I think the little added mystique of the place really hit me. I've made some life long friends and I can't wait to go back.

All because of a hockey player.

pics: Lake Bohinj, Soca River, Mt. Krn (Triglav is behind in the clouds to my left,your right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BohinjCanoe.jpg‎ (84.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SocaRiver.jpg‎ (120.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ZenMasterKRN.jpg‎ (113.1 KB, 42 views)

Old
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
jbuntman
not your boyfriend!

jbuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Pharseer

vCash: 50
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingsneverlast View Post
Thanks guys. It definitely was an amazing experience and a trip of a lifetime.

I was fortunate enough to have a place to crash for the better part of about 2 months in Slovenia. I stayed in Maribor, Ljubljana(majority of my time), Kobarid, and Bohinj. I would take tons of day trips and ended up seeing a good amount of the country, the lakes, rivers and Alps being my favorite.

Slovenia is such a beautiful and, dare I say, majestic place. Honestly a lot of it seems like a dream. I am big into hiking, camping, mountains and nature in general so, that is really the main reason I went there. The country is like a diamond in the ruff with many people writing it off since it was formerly Yugoslavia. I'd say 99% of Americans have never even heard of it(heck, it took a hockey player drafted in 2005 to tip me off, and I was a Geography major!!) and surprisingly I met some other Europeans that had no clue where it even was

Even though I met some insanely great people and did some amazing things on that entire year away, Slovenia, hands down, was my favorite place. When I first arrived there, I just felt really comfortable and at ease. The people, the overall beauty of the country and I think the little added mystique of the place really hit me. I've made some life long friends and I can't wait to go back.

All because of a hockey player.

pics: Lake Bohinj, Soca River, Mt. Krn (Triglav is behind in the clouds to my left,your right)
Thank you for sharing! Welcome to to the forums, and no matter what happens this year, I am so proud of how far the Kings have come, this is an incredible team. I feel so fortunate to have been a fan since 1967, as long as I can remember.

We have a great group to take us many years into the future, not just this one!

GO KINGS GO!

Pharseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

I almost can't believe this.... At a total loss for words right now.

I hope everyone has a great Game 4 and we'll be celebrating together.

Come on boys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeDad.jpg‎ (110.0 KB, 23 views)

Old
06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Pharseer

vCash: 50
Yes

Quote:
I almost can't believe this.... At a total loss for words right now.

I hope everyone has a great Game 4 and we'll be celebrating together.

Come on boys!
I am right there with you! Since the thread was locked I was working on, I want to share with you what I wrote:

Kings fans are a breed apart!

Noone understands the years we went through like another Kings fans, you all have been great! I started with the Kings as far back as I can remember, the early 70's at the very least!! My parents weren't ones to allow Hockey past bedtime, so I would wait till my goodnights were said, and then I would turn on the radio/eventually a TV in my dark room, and listen to the games. I would keep the volume very low, but I never missed a Kings game!

We used to have Laker game tickets, and I would go out in the halls of the fabulous forum, during the Lakers game, and look at the pictures of the new Kings team on the walls. As a child I never understood why people would root for a basketball team that had so many championship banners already? What was there to root for?

I KNEW I wanted to root for the Kings, they had nothing at that point. Not even a Western Conference title. So I grew up watching the Triple Crown Line, and then even when I was sent away to school on the east coast , 3000 miles away, I went to New Haven CT, every weekend to see the New Haven Nighthawks play, they were the Kings farm team at the time.

It made me feel close to my team seeing the young guys play before they made the big club. Whenever I could I would go watch the Hartford Whalers play the Kings, the Whale had Gordie Howe, Brendan Shanahan, and Brad Mcrimmon (may he rest in peace and always be remembered!) on their roster, and as great as those guys were, I was all about the Kings! Rocking the purple and gold, to every game I could, on both coasts.

I hated being 3000 miles away from home at 11 years old, it was tough, I didn't know anyone, and the Kings/Nighthawks made me feel as close to home as I could possibly be.

So to all the fans who waited, those coming aboard, you are all a part of something very special, something you will never forget, and something that one day may change your life as it did mine. The Los Angeles Kings are a part of my heart and soul forever.

One more win Kings!

Pharseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Knight of the Realm
Go Kings Go!

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

My dad passed awhile ago but I'll never forget going to game four with him in 93'.

A cherished memory for sure.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Ljubljana is a very cool city.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

My dad passed awhile ago but I'll never forget going to game four with him in 93'.

A cherished memory for sure.
@Knight... I am sorry to hear that. It definitely would have been an amazing ride this year with your Dad as well but, it's nice to know that there is another great fan cheering them on from above.

Get the most!

Old
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
kynen

I spotted those videos at kingsinsider, nice of you to share the full story

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
depape

Nice story, glad you liked it here in Slovenia

1 more to go! GKG!

depape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by depape View Post
Nice story, glad you liked it here in Slovenia

1 more to go! GKG!
Thanks. Slovenia is an amazing place.

Come on, Kings..... it will happen, just wish it would have happened live!

Old
06-07-2012, 05:59 PM
zamo86

Slovenia is amazing, though much of the natives take if for granted and are then surprised when people from other countries are talking about its nature, sights etc. with such enthusiasm . Amazing story btw

Anyway, since you are talking about the Kings, Slovenia, Kopitar... I felt I could post this link here: http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/hokej/kra...renjsko/284784

Its in Slovene (with lots of pics and videos ) and its about how people from Hrušica (a small settlement couple of miles from Jesenice), where Kopitar and his family lived until he eventually left and went pro. People decied to watch all games of the SCF live and outside (just to hang out, partying and stuff with each game starting about 2:15am local time. Well, the number of people gathering went from about 150 for game1 to 1500 for game4 (the whole of Hrušica has under 2000 inhabitants).

zamo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:50 AM
simonsez

Quote:
First, I just want to say that my family(4 boys, 2 girls, Mother and Father) are huge Kings fans. My Dad has been a fan of the team since the beginning in 1967 and is the reason why we are such an insane hockey family in Southern California. We all grew up playing ice hockey and my Dad played as a youth in Minnesota.

Also, I am not a big fan of self promotion, but I think that maybe the Kings or at least some Kings fans may be interested in hearing about an incredible story that I was lucky enough to be a part of....and I am hoping that in a couple of days the story will be even brighter!

I will just give a quick overview of what has happened to me over the last year and how it relates heavily to the Kings. Everything just happened the way it happened. I didn’t really have these intentions in my mind before leaving, aside from just thinking about how cool it would be to meet Kopitar in Slovenia. So, when these opportunities arose I had to take full advantage of them.

Last May, I took a trip to Europe which was originally only supposed to be a 3 month journey. I really had no plans, just visiting a bunch of friends I have all around Europe so, roaming around and trying to make the most of the time that I was there.

The main country that I wanted to visit was Slovenia, and Kopitar was the main reason why I even knew about the country(I googled this amazing place after the Kings drafted him in 2005).

Clip of me talking about Kopitar on a Slovenian Tv show, 1/4 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw663svHlFY

After a month or so I sent out an email to Kopi's website saying that I am a huge Kings fan traveling in Europe and will be heading to Slovenia soon. They replied with a ton of recommended places to visit in Slovenia and then told me to let them know when I was actually in the country.

When I finally arrived in Slovenia, after traveling for 2 months, I sent them another message. They told me that Kopitar would be practicing with his father and a few other National players in Bled and to come down and watch. Kopitar gave me some time after and he signed a postcard for my Dad(it was my Dad's Birthday that same day)… “Happy Birthday Sam!” Kopitar was great and the whole experience was very cool. I also did a ton of other awesome things while in the country including spending 3 days in the Alps and climbing Slovenia's highest and most famous mountain, Mt Triglav, when I was there.

I ended up staying in Europe much longer than I had originally planned. I decided I was having too much fun over there so, I cancelled my original flight home and just kept going. Since I was still going to be there I had to see the Kings play while I was “down the street”. A once in a lifetime opportunity.

I made my way up to Hamburg, from Slovenia, for the pre-season game against the Freezers. I was lucky enough to meet Robitaille and Nicholls at a Kings practice and then enjoy the great atmosphere at the game the next day. Nothing like football style chants at a hockey game. Really cool!

Then, I headed up to Stockholm to see them open up the season against the Rangers. It was awesome. It was great being able to see my favorite team play an NHL game live and in person when I was 6,000+ miles away from home.

Six months passed and I continued wandering Europe. I would wake up at 3am, 4am, 4:30am, whenever I could to catch a live stream of the Kings. Many friends thought that I was crazy, but I just told them...."I love hockey and I love the Kings so, it doesn't seem so crazy to me".. I would wake up to watch full games and if I wasn't able to catch a stream I would watch the highlights online the next day. I was traveling around a beautiful place with so many things to see and do....and I did see and do a ton of things, but I always had hockey and the Kings on my mind.

It was great to be able to see the games and email back and forth with my Dad about what is happening with the Kings, but of course, the biggest thing was that I missed going to the games with him. Taking the Blue Line to DT L.A. and experiencing the joy and the pain live, with my father, was something that I could not recreate being so far from home. The bond that my Dad and I share through hockey is truly something special.

The Kings make the playoffs! I set my alarm for every playoff game. Friends continue to call me crazy and laugh.. I say..."Hey, this is important to me, it's important to my family. It may seem strange to you, but it's more than just a hockey game for me"... The Kings are rolling teams and I start thinking...

"I need to come home for this. I cannot be away from my Dad if the Kings finally seal the deal. I will cry forever if I am not with my Pops and they do what he's been waiting 45 years for them to do"

I booked my flight home without telling my family that I was coming. I was gone one year. May 28th, 2011 to May 27th, 2012..I thought "I will surprise my family, it will be amazing and I will enjoy these Cup Finals with my Father, family, and hopefully watch them do this thing!"

Surprising my parents..First thing my Dad says... "THE STANLEY CUP!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mb5PzbMHy4

Anyways, I have arrived, I've surprised my parents and the rest of my family after a year abroad and I have purchased tickets to Game 4 of the Cup Finals in Los Angeles where I will attend with my Father and one of my brothers.

Personally, I think it's a pretty crazy story and I am definitely happy how things have worked out so far. If the Kings do this, it will be an amazing book end to an incredible year...not just for hockey, but for my family and I.

Thank you so much for reading.

I hope that this was at least somewhat interesting and I would love for the Kings to know the types of dedicated fans that they have here in the Los Angeles area!!

Thanks again, and of course, Let's Go KINGS!!!

-Kevin

P.S. Sorry if it sounds like I am rambling..I am way too excited and I am also getting over a 24 stomach bug which has made me completely delirious.

Pictures: Kopi and I, My Dad and I playing on his 70th Bday(3 years ago), My Dad shredding on his 70th Bday(3 years ago)
Great story! Sounds like an amazing year you'll always remember.

My only question is what was Johnny Depp doing on a Slovenian talk show?

simonsez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsez View Post
Great story! Sounds like an amazing year you'll always remember.

My only question is what was Johnny Depp doing on a Slovenian talk show?
Ha. Yea, that's what everyone says about that guy(that's actually his name too, Gaj). The Slovenian Jack Sparrow.

I had read about the watch parties in SLO.. That doesn't surprise me as everyone in the country seems to know who Kopitar is and Slovenian's appear to be a prideful people(which is awesome). It's so great that they are showing their support.

We were also lucky enough to run into Marcel Dionne before Game 4. Very nice and humble guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg‎ (114.6 KB, 14 views)

Old
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
DaAnimal

thanks for the inspirational story

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Thingsneverlast
Rookie User

Thank you Kings! Thanks for letting us all live a dream. A great ending to a great year!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg‎ (125.7 KB, 18 views)

Old
06-12-2012, 04:04 AM
depape

Perfect ending to this story would be you coming back here to Slovenia with Kopi and the cup

depape is offline   Reply With Quote