HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Old
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I don't see how this puts it to bed. You guys always forget that Burke is a lawyer. Look at his statement:

I have never discussed this trade or any trade involving Luke Schenn to Edmonton."

The key word is "to" Edmonton. If he said that he has never discussed any trade involving Luke Schenn WITH Edmonton, that might mean something. He is just stating that he has never discussed the trade with anyone in the media, namely Friedman.
Burke is not a lawyer and never has been.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
He went to Harvard Law. He has the training to act like one.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Schenn is going to strive with Carlyle as coach. The guy is 22 years old! Hope he stays put..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
After one year in the AHL, Burke attended Harvard Law School, where he graduated with a Juris Doctor in 1981.

I believe that qualifies

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Great article, thanks.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Schenn is going to strive with Carlyle as coach. The guy is 22 years old! Hope he stays put..
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
After one year in the AHL, Burke attended Harvard Law School, where he graduated with a Juris Doctor in 1981.

I believe that qualifies
Studying law isn't the same as being a lawyer. Law school does not train you to deceive the media. They teach law.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Why do people care?
It's a matter of curiousity for me, why someone would purposely misspell his name.

I don't care to the point where it bothers me.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:20 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Studying law isn't the same as being a lawyer. Law school does not train you to deceive the media. They teach law.
Burke did'nt just study law and graduate, he practiced it for 6 years. He was a lawyer.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
ALine

Quote:
Burke could take the licensing test at any time to become a practicing lawyer, Thats what the Juris Doctor entails. Kind of like completing med school doesn't make you a doctor, but you have all the tools to be, just a matter of passing some tests. He would simply rather be GM of a hockey team or work with the league in some capacity. Your right though, he is not a lawyer. But a smart man non the less. Lawyers and legal work is all about wording. It doesn't teach you to deceive the media, but does teach you to use the correct wording to make a point.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
birddog*

Quote:
And yet another comment from the uninformed. Why don't you tell us a little more of which you know nothing.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Burke did'nt just study law and graduate, he practiced it for 6 years. He was a lawyer.
Source? I spent time in the past trying to figure out if he ever did practice and found nothing to confirm he ever did.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Burke could take the licensing test at any time to become a practicing lawyer, Thats what the Juris Doctor entails. Kind of like completing med school doesn't make you a doctor, but you have all the tools to be, just a matter of passing some tests. He would simply rather be GM of a hockey team or work with the league in some capacity. Your right though, he is not a lawyer. But a smart man non the less. Lawyers and legal work is all about wording. It doesn't teach you to deceive the media, but does teach you to use the correct wording to make a point.
I know, vut seems like people here take that to mean that basically everything he says is a lie.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
burke is a blowhard .....i think freidman tells the truth .but likly edmonton wants a desperate burke to give him gardiner .....burke is mediocre and now the whole world knows ....a supposedly lesser GM just won a cup burkie ....your stock is dropping fast ...your a bottom third caliber GM and now we all know
schenn was an overpayment anyways .....glad the goof didnt do it
what an objective, well worded post.

how could anyone not take you seriously?

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
And yet another comment from the uninformed. Why don't you tell us a little more of which you know nothing.
Any explanation for this comment or just a hit and run? There's nothing for me to respond to here.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Burke_(ice_hockey)

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
from the oilers perspective schenn and your 5th does not get number 1. The deal I offered earlier was Schenn, Kadri and the 5th for 1st, Gagner and a prospect (oiler fans went a little nuts). I offered this before Murray had a good world championship and he will now go in the top 3. We can argue to hell and back, but after the top 3, there is a drop off and it is a big one (IMO).
We don't even really need Gagner(good player for sure). Keep him, Then change Kadri to Ashton and put a conditional 2nd next year(13) if Murray doesn't make it to #5.

There's only one team really that's a danger to take Murray before #5 and that's the Islanders at #4(imo), And I made proposal in another thread where we acquire the #4 pick then moved it to the Oilers in a bigger deal.

Would that work even?

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
daveleaf

Burke has the summer to get this team back on track. He needs a goalie, someone with pedigree and hopefully younger. He needs a centre, whether it be a true number one or a #1B. He needs some players on the Marlies to make a jump. I would love to see Kadri on this team but something tells me he will be used as trade bait-some team will get a hell of a player. He needs to deal with cap dead weight in Komisarek, Armstrong, Lombardi and maybe one or two others. He needs a strong draft and give fans a belief that there is something better to come.

It is my belief and I solely base it on my thoughts. I think he succeeds in some areas and fails in others. Will continue to argue with the media and blow up a few times. He will succumb to pressure and walk away at years end. He will have put some significant pieces in place but will not have the desire nor the fan support to see it all through-very much like Vancouver.

Sorry guys. When this team hoists the cup if it ever will Burke will not be the GM that accepts it from one of the players.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM
ITM

More than protecting Schenn, Burke is well within his right to be annoyed that the Toronto media is undermining what could be a very important deal.

Of course he has to deny this, and of course Friedman has to report on credible findings, but as fans, how could we not side with our GM wanting a discreet environment in which to better the team?

This isn't a case of Burke the blowhard sounding off to hear his voice, this is a case of fighting to protect the club's possible future made needlessly harder by our hockey crazed market. I'm not saying Toronto has underperformed because of the media, but having to spin multiple plates in the air, is a kind of quality control experienced in Toronto like nowhere else in the NHL.

It compromises the playing field, and it alerts other teams as to what kind of value is being considered. Of course Burke is riled, any GM worth their salt would be.

Proof positive that the Toronto media is certainly not on Toronto's side despite accusations otherwise.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..
Brian Burke is the first GM in the history of sport that had to deal with armchair experts, media speculation, trade rumors and criticism.....the guy is a buffoon. Not sure why he has to comment everytime somebody spreads a trade rumor...besides judging by his reaction...Luke Schenn is as good as gone.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Just throwing this out there

Since Burke arrived, how many of his trades were rumored by media people before it happend?

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
if burke didn't continue these petty arguments with the media how else wold he occupy his time? certainly not by making the team better
I mean is this guy going to work now? every week there's a fight.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post

Since Burke arrived, how many of his trades were rumored by media people before it happend?

Kessel deal, Beauchemin signing, Jiggy trade, Monster signing, JML trade.

more than a few.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post

From what I remember just the Kessel one.

There were rumblings that Beauchemin and Versteeg were on thier way out but nothing specific. I remember LeBrun saying he had heard those 2 were involved in discussions a couple weeks before the deals.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

7 of 10 have faith in BB

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Brian Burke is the first GM in the history of sport that had to deal with armchair experts, media speculation, trade rumors and criticism.....the guy is a buffoon. Not sure why he has to comment everytime somebody spreads a trade rumor...besides judging by his reaction...Luke Schenn is as good as gone.
Maybe Cox contacted Burke and asked for his response.

The brain can be used once in a while as opposed to knee jerk reactions.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote