HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
  #76
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..
because he is protecting his player like any good GM would.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
  #77
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Brian Burke is the first GM in the history of sport that had to deal with armchair experts, media speculation, trade rumors and criticism.....the guy is a buffoon. Not sure why he has to comment everytime somebody spreads a trade rumor...besides judging by his reaction...Luke Schenn is as good as gone.

He has.... to comment... because... he is backing his players.... Do you not understand why the huge collapse of last season happened????? There were so many rumours based of pure speculation that it messed with the players psyche.... it cause them to play in a different fashion... a terrible fashion... i with no... confidence... trying to do way to much individually.....

Can you please just write in complete sentences, your posts are hard enough to read as is based soley on the content.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
  #78
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Source? I spent time in the past trying to figure out if he ever did practice and found nothing to confirm he ever did.
After earning his Bachelor of Arts in History from Providence College in 1977, Burke signed with the Philadelphia Flyers prior to the 1977-78 season and won a Calder Cup Championship with the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Maine Mariners. He then returned to school and graduated from Harvard Law in 1981. Burke practiced law in Boston for the next six years, representing professional hockey players until joining the Canucks in 1987.

Enough for you now? Now quick get under the bridge, I hear the goats coming!

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #79
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Source? I spent time in the past trying to figure out if he ever did practice and found nothing to confirm he ever did.
Burke was a sports lawyer for 6 years in Boston. In order for a lawyer to practice law in the United States they must first pass a bar exam and be issued a license by the Bar Association. The BA issues these licenses to lawyers so they can practice law. Therefore Burke was a licensed lawyer because he practiced law for 6 six years in Boston.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #80
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Kessel deal, Beauchemin signing, Jiggy trade, Monster signing, JML trade.


more than a few.
Kaberle as well.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #81
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
He has.... to comment... because... he is backing his players.... Do you not understand why the huge collapse of last season happened????? There were so many rumours based of pure speculation that it messed with the players psyche.... it cause them to play in a different fashion... a terrible fashion... i with no... confidence... trying to do way to much individually.....

Can you please just write in complete sentences, your posts are hard enough to read as is based soley on the content.
There are about a billion trade rumors a year in a hockey crazed market like Toronto....who cares? Is it because it was on HNIC? Do you think Elliot Friedman goes on National Television on the final game of the season for the Cup and pulls stuff out of his a$$ to tell the masses. Perhaps there is some truth to the rumor from inside sources. People talk.

No need for the GM to get his knickers in a twist. He can deny it. Thats fine. But why do we need the melodrama every time.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
  #82
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,487
vCash: 741
Damned if you do - Damned if you don't.

Silence would drive us crazy, anything else and Burke has a big mouth.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
  #83
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
There are about a billion trade rumors a year in a hockey crazed market like Toronto....who cares? Is it because it was on HNIC? Do you think Elliot Friedman goes on National Television on the final game of the season for the Cup and pulls stuff out of his a$$ to tell the masses. Perhaps there is some truth to the rumor from inside sources. People talk.

No need for the GM to get his knickers in a twist. He can deny it. Thats fine. But why do we need the melodrama every time.

A GM is protecting his players from the junk media in this city, what a tragedy.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
  #84
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Kaberle as well.
ashton is the most recent

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:23 PM
  #85
Calacatz
Pak-trick!
 
Calacatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
He has.... to comment... because... he is backing his players.... Do you not understand why the huge collapse of last season happened????? There were so many rumours based of pure speculation that it messed with the players psyche.... it cause them to play in a different fashion... a terrible fashion... i with no... confidence... trying to do way to much individually.....

Can you please just write in complete sentences, your posts are hard enough to read as is based soley on the content.
Dude you can't be serious that you are pulling up this type of excuse for the horrible hockey team that we have. These people are pros and get paid to deal with this type of thing. Wasn't Dustin Brown part of the very same rumours? Do you need me to remind you what happened there?
Burke whines! Simple as that! Just like the Colton Orr demotion and the Rats rant he went on. All he has done during the last few years is flat out ***** instead of improving a hockey team.

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:23 PM
  #86
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
There are about a billion trade rumors a year in a hockey crazed market like Toronto....who cares? Is it because it was on HNIC? Do you think Elliot Friedman goes on National Television on the final game of the season for the Cup and pulls stuff out of his a$$ to tell the masses. Perhaps there is some truth to the rumor from inside sources. People talk.

No need for the GM to get his knickers in a twist. He can deny it. Thats fine. But why do we need the melodrama every time.
You bet I do. Friedman has time and space to fill and the legitimate hockey news isn't necessarily going to keep up with his schedule.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
  #87
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
There are about a billion trade rumors a year in a hockey crazed market like Toronto....who cares? Is it because it was on HNIC? Do you think Elliot Friedman goes on National Television on the final game of the season for the Cup and pulls stuff out of his a$$ to tell the masses. Perhaps there is some truth to the rumor from inside sources. People talk.

No need for the GM to get his knickers in a twist. He can deny it. Thats fine. But why do we need the melodrama every time.
Thats all he did. The melodrama is coming from all the conjecture from news sources and his most ardent haters

and yeah i think Friedmann went on HNIC to discuss leafs rumours that are completely unfounded because the draft is quickly approaching and talking leafs will cause the biggest stir.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
  #88
Midna
Registered User
 
Midna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Damned if you do - Damned if you don't.

Silence would drive us crazy, anything else and Burke has a big mouth.
I'm glad there's threads like this so I know what to be mad at.

Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
  #89
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Is this statement in reference to me? Because it can pretty much be used for Mr. Burke too. Please. For a guy who "doesn't give a damn about what anybody thinks", Mr. Burke speaks out more than his fair share about what others think.
What Friedman wrote was not a criticism of Burke or the job he is doing so I don't know where that came from.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:30 PM
  #90
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Dude you can't be serious that you are pulling up this type of excuse for the horrible hockey team that we have. These people are pros and get paid to deal with this type of thing. Wasn't Dustin Brown part of the very same rumours? Do you need me to remind you what happened there?
Burke whines! Simple as that! Just like the Colton Orr demotion and the Rats rant he went on. All he has done during the last few years is flat out ***** instead of improving a hockey team.

They may be "pros" to you and expected to deal with the s*** everyone spews about them, but the leafs are a very young team, with many players less than 25. I like to think that, you know, theses are actual humans that have flaws, just like everyone else in the world. They may deal with adversity in different ways at this young age. As they grow, they will mature.

Are you saying L.A. is as crazy hockey market than Toronto? I'm sure Brad Doty and the boys are under a lot of pressure. Players have to deal with a disproportional amount of crap to play here.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
  #91
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Dude you can't be serious that you are pulling up this type of excuse for the horrible hockey team that we have. These people are pros and get paid to deal with this type of thing.
I have heard many reports of players not wanting to play in the fish bowl that is Toronto and have taken less money to play where that isn't the case.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
  #92
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 7,160
vCash: 500
Oh well this will be Burkes last year anyways. Failing grade. Hasn't seen a playoff game since he took over.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
  #93
ITM
Make Mine Marner
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Thats all he did. The melodrama is coming from all the conjecture from news sources and his most ardent haters

and yeah i think Friedmann went on HNIC to discuss leafs rumours that are completely unfounded because the draft is quickly approaching and talking leafs will cause the biggest stir.
Careful there. Too much nuance and we're likely to have endless bashing on the thread.

I mean, who does Burke think he is, trying to establish a trading environment that's discreet? Funny moreover for those that bemoan when he's declared his intentions publicly ie Tavares. Now that there's a measure of enacted discretion, he's a drama queen...but really, it's all balanced, informed, justified criticism, folks.


ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:45 PM
  #94
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz

No need for the GM to get his knickers in a twist. He can deny it. Thats fine. But why do we need the melodrama every time.
You can read the quote in a number of ways:

A. Burke growed and yelled and tottally lost it.

B. He snickered and said, calmly:

Quote:
“Typical of Hockey Night,” said Burke. “I have never discussed this trade or any trade involving Luke Schenn to Edmonton.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:51 PM
  #95
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,684
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
We went from having JFJ, a complete dud who spoke in freaken tongues to Brian Burke, a very arrogant GM who loves to hear himself speak and get the last word.

I'm thinking for our next GM we get a guy a little more reserved but not totally deer-in-the-headlights like a David Poile or something. Someone who's not going to blow his top off after listening to the talking heads say, 'Leafs may offer up this guy'.
I like Burke and his approach to answering the same questions day after day. I think he's doing a good job even though I don't agree with all of his moves IE (Kessel) trade. I do think that overall he's taken the team in the right direction and has stocked our shelves with some good young talent for the future.

Burke won't start receiving credit for the work he's done probably until he's gone and these young guys start to step up and make an impact. Then people we'll see the same media faces and fans who have been trashing him talk about the wonderful job he's done in his time with the leafs.

Brian has also done a lot of work for the community and various charities and is one of the first to donate his time and money to these causes. Just because we see the way he talks to the media who he clearly does not like, and I am sure either would most of you if they posted the same crap about you day after day in papers. Does not mean he's a self centered, arrogant or self absorbed person.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
  #96
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I don't work in Hockey but if I were to guess, here's what Burke had to do because of Friedman's loose lips at a bare minimum:

1. Conference call with Schenn's Agent
2. Conference call with Schenn
3. Meeting with the management team
4. At least one call with the media
5. Respond to hundreds of emails from guys like Dreger asking him to comment.

Again, I'd want to piss on Friedman's doorstep if it were me.
because that would take maybe an hour out of his day.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
  #97
deuce457
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
the only part I took out of that was that Burke said he has not talked to Edmonton about a Schenn being included in a deal.

Which tells me he has talked to Edmonton about acquiring the pick, he didnt deny that. So Friedman got the player wrong, I think there is smoke around Burke trying to move up to #1.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
  #98
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
After earning his Bachelor of Arts in History from Providence College in 1977, Burke signed with the Philadelphia Flyers prior to the 1977-78 season and won a Calder Cup Championship with the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Maine Mariners. He then returned to school and graduated from Harvard Law in 1981. Burke practiced law in Boston for the next six years, representing professional hockey players until joining the Canucks in 1987.

Enough for you now? Now quick get under the bridge, I hear the goats coming!
Why am I being accused of trolling here? This is a pretty reasonable discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Burke was a sports lawyer for 6 years in Boston. In order for a lawyer to practice law in the United States they must first pass a bar exam and be issued a license by the Bar Association. The BA issues these licenses to lawyers so they can practice law. Therefore Burke was a licensed lawyer because he practiced law for 6 six years in Boston.
Still no sources. Wiki says he was a player agent after graduating from Harvard. You could argue being an agent or lawyer are similar jobs but they are not the same, and you dont need an education in law to be an agent.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:01 PM
  #99
northstarnicky
Registered User
 
northstarnicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Joey,

Wiki is not a valid source. Also, you don't need to be a lawyer to be a player agent, correct. BUT, in Boston, to be a GOOD player agent, you need to be an Attorney. Also, in the United States, if you graduate from Law School, you ARE a Lawyer in that State alone. To practice, say in New York State, he would have needed to pass the NY Bar Exam.

So, bottom line, if he graduated from Harvard Law, he was/is a Licensed Lawyer in Massachusetts. Good?


Last edited by northstarnicky: 06-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
northstarnicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:05 PM
  #100
northstarnicky
Registered User
 
northstarnicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Another example:

My Wife graduated from Marquette Law School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Upon graduation, she was automatically admitted to the Wisconsin State Bar and allowed to practice Law in Wisconsin.

northstarnicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.