HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Old
06-12-2012, 11:03 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Burke did'nt just study law and graduate, he practiced it for 6 years. He was a lawyer.
apparently some people also refuse to believe he is an NHL GM that was responsible for helping to build a SC winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
And yet another comment from the uninformed. Why don't you tell us a little more of which you know nothing.
he would but his lawyer advised him not to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
what an objective, well worded post.

how could anyone not take you seriously?
that gentleman must be a lawyer sir, and as everyone knows lawyers say things that laymen just cannot comprehend

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

for the doubting thomas's in the crowd

Quote:
After earning his Bachelor of Arts in History from Providence College in 1977, Burke signed with the Philadelphia Flyers prior to the 1977-78 season and won a Calder Cup Championship with the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Maine Mariners. He then returned to school and graduated from Harvard Law in 1981. Burke practiced law in Boston for the next six years, representing professional hockey players until joining the Canucks in 1987.

and that my dear Leafs fans is quoted directly from the Official NHL Toronto Maple Leafs web site

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42194

get to know the team

Last edited by therealkoho: 06-13-2012 at 09:10 AM.
therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:18 AM
canary
Strictly Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Schenn still has good value.

GM's in the NHL are not like people on HF. They know a couple bad years for a young player =/= bust.

Schenn's issue with us is simple IMO - his game didn't suit our run and gun style of hockey. He isn't that great of a skater, and is limited in his offensive abilities. Too often he got caught flat footed against the rush, and people pissed on him for it.

I think in a balanced system, where more importance is given to physical play, and defensive structure, we will see Schenn do well as a top 4 dman. I think he can be a good defensive #3, while scoring 20+ pts, and leading the league in hits like he has for the past few years.

I think Carlyle's system will do wonders for him. I bet every GM knows a large part of his struggles was due to us not using him properly.

Similar to Beauchemin's drastic change in Anahiem. I can also see Komi doing well with Carlyle. All defensive D except for Gunnar struggled for long stretches with RW.
This thread should have began and ended here.

canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:26 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
blah blah blah....who gives a sh1te. When is this guy going to make the news for producing some good results on the ice. All this crap that hits the papers and then the boards that has nothing to do with Wins, playoffs, respectability is a classic case of "wagging the dog".
My goodness have you ever walked into this one, lol...

So criticism for this GM not producing team wins, team respectability and a playoffs appearance in June, months after the reality of the club's fate was determined is of primary importance on a thread debating the relationship of the league's busiest and most provocative media hub and a rumour pertaining to the upcoming Entry Draft with the same GM in question?

Wag this my son: "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
More than protecting Schenn, Burke is well within his right to be annoyed that the Toronto media is undermining what could be a very important deal.

Of course he has to deny this, and of course Friedman has to report on credible findings, but as fans, how could we not side with our GM wanting a discreet environment in which to better the team?

This isn't a case of Burke the blowhard sounding off to hear his voice, this is a case of fighting to protect the club's possible future made needlessly harder by our hockey crazed market. I'm not saying Toronto has underperformed because of the media, but having to spin multiple plates in the air, is a kind of quality control experienced in Toronto like nowhere else in the NHL.

It compromises the playing field, and it alerts other teams as to what kind of value is being considered. Of course Burke is riled, any GM worth their salt would be.

Proof positive that the Toronto media is certainly not on Toronto's side despite accusations otherwise.
It's so refreshing to see someone who understands this. There are a few of us in this thread (and on this forum) who can run without those blinders. Everyone else acts like a 12 year old.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:19 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

So the media should check with Burke before running any stories?

The media is just out to get people to pay attention to what they say. They don't care about what is good for the leafs, nor should they

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
My goodness have you ever walked into this one, lol...

So criticism for this GM not producing team wins, team respectability and a playoffs appearance in June, months after the reality of the club's fate was determined is of primary importance on a thread debating the relationship of the league's busiest and most provocative media hub and a rumour pertaining to the upcoming Entry Draft with the same GM in question?

Wag this my son: "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."
What are you talking about? These wars with the media and particularly HNIC has been going on for a long time now. Perhaps as soon as Burke took over the reigns. But you can pretend its something new and you can also pretend that Burke shares no responsibility in all these mud slinging stories.....you can also, like most Burke lovers, pretend that the man has done a competent job. After all...its only the Leafs, we all know how high Leaf fans set the bar. All he has to do is make the playoffs and he will be deemed the greatest GM since Sam Pollock by his followers. In fact he doesn't even have to do that. Some on this board have already proclaimed him the greatest Leaf GM of our time......pathetic.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
What are you talking about? These wars with the media and particularly HNIC has been going on for a long time now. Perhaps as soon as Burke took over the reigns. But you can pretend its something new and you can also pretend that Burke shares no responsibility in all these mud slinging stories.....you can also, like most Burke lovers, pretend that the man has done a competent job. After all...its only the Leafs, we all know how high Leaf fans set the bar. All he has to do is make the playoffs and he will be deemed the greatest GM since Sam Pollock by his followers. In fact he doesn't even have to do that. Some on this board have already proclaimed him the greatest Leaf GM of our time......pathetic.
I believe he is suggesting that you've missed the point of the thread and it's purpose.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
I believe he is suggesting that you've missed the point of the thread and it's purpose.
Perhaps you are correct. What is the purpose of this thread and what is the point that I missed? Burke is well within his rights to deny any trade rumors involving any of his players. Any GM is. But why the attitude and melodrama? This is hockey. This is Toronto. Why did this fool take the job of GM/Prez of the TML..if he didn't think he would be under a microscope, having to deal with speculation and innuendo every day of the year?

You either have to bring great success before you give the middle finger to everyone or you have to act with a little humility and class when you are failing as bad as Mr. Burke has in his 4 years. Mr. Burke makes enemies with those who have the means to make his life miserable You can deny that the media doesn't matter but obviously it does to Mr. Burke. He claims that he "doesn't give a rats ass what anybody thinks", media and fans alike but then why does he have so much to say about it?

Why not just ignore it? Or when asked about the trade rumor...a simple response like...."there is no truth to that rumor"...No need to question the professionalism of the journalist, the periodical, the network, the broadcaster or the producers. No need at all.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Perhaps you are correct. What is the purpose of this thread and what is the point that I missed? Burke is well within his rights to deny any trade rumors involving any of his players. Any GM is. But why the attitude and melodrama? This is hockey. This is Toronto. Why did this fool take the job of GM/Prez of the TML..if he didn't think he would be under a microscope, having to deal with speculation and innuendo every day of the year?

You either have to bring great success before you give the middle finger to everyone or you have to act with a little humility and class when you are failing as bad as Mr. Burke has in his 4 years. Mr. Burke makes enemies with those who have the means to make his life miserable You can deny that the media doesn't matter but obviously it does to Mr. Burke. He claims that he "doesn't give a rats ass what anybody thinks", media and fans alike but then why does he have so much to say about it?

Why not just ignore it? Or when asked about the trade rumor...a simple response like...."there is no truth to that rumor"...No need to question the professionalism of the journalist, the periodical, the network, the broadcaster or the producers. No need at all.
Why don't you point out the melodrama? He answered a question that was asked and some editored juiced up the headline.

Is he not allowed to answer a question honestly when asked? Would it not be journalistic integrity to call Burke to ask about it before announcing to the biggest HNIC crowd of the year?

Why are you being so meladramatic about it?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:

I've bolded a couple of part of your post.

I totally agree that Burke does not do himself any favors with the way he handles some of his media relations.

That being said, in this situation I don't see much attitude or melodrama. The quote, “Typical of Hockey Night, I have never discussed this trade or any trade involving Luke Schenn to Edmonton.” does not seem to be that of a man that is "furious", as Cox writes in his article. Granted, I didn't hear it, but I would suggest that if there was more said, Cox would have printed it.

Finally, I disagree with your assertions that there is "No need to question the professionalism of the journalist, the periodical, the network, the broadcaster or the producers. No need at all." Much like Mr. Burke needs to be accountable for his job performance, the reporters, producers, and editors in the media need to held accountable for theirs.

If, Friedman and HNIC were reporting inaccuracies as facts, then I applaud Burke for questioning their professionalism. If Friedman was accurate, then shame on Burke for saying anything other than "no comment".

The reality is, no one on this board knows the real truth about the situation, but many are quick to judgement and condemnation based on a either personal bias, or factors that have no relevance to this this specific incident.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
67Cup

1. Burke has every right to deny a trade rumor if he wants.
2. The denial is worded in such a way that it actually doesn't state that a trade involving schenn won't happen.
3. Burke doesn't need to be as testy as he sometimes is. He also spread a rumor about the Canucks trading a couple of named players for Hedman, IIRC. No real difference.
4. I like Schenn and hope he isn't traded now.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
So the media should check with Burke before running any stories?

The media is just out to get people to pay attention to what they say. They don't care about what is good for the leafs, nor should they
That right there is the problem. Journalism should be about finding the truth. For whatever reason, it has become about sales, hence the tabloidesque drivel we are constantly fed and some choose to accept.

If they don't care what is good for the Leafs, fine, but they should stop crying to mommy when they get punched in the head for doing it. Likewise, it should be perfectly within the team's power to ban them from access.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..
Maybe there's fire to the smoke? He hates his big surprises ruined...

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Maybe there's fire to the smoke? He hates his big surprises ruined...
The spot light was focusing elsewhere, so that situation needed correcting.

Just yesterday Burke was quoted as saying "he is in the entertainment business more than the hockey business", so if nothing else at least its entertaining.

06-13-2012, 11:07 AM
ALine

Hockey is an entertainment business...

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The spot light was focusing elsewhere, so that situation needed correcting.

Just yesterday Burke was quoted as saying "he is in the entertainment business more than the hockey business", so if nothing else at least its entertaining.
Ahh I see. I'm in Italy right now, not a lot of hockey news

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
Read in the Toronto Star today that Burke is upset with HNIC again. Elliot Freidman said that Burke was prepared to trade Schenn to the Oilers for the #1 pick in the draft. In the articlue Burke said "we have never had that dicussion," "on air editing on HNIC would be nice."

Thought I would post this since I have read many people posting theories Schenn would be involved IF Burke infact wanted to trade up...this puts that to bed for now I think.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...riles-leafs-gm
Leafs will need to be better to get 1st overall. Think Gardiner. Schenn is completely overrated.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Leafs will need to be better to get 1st overall. Think Gardiner. Schenn is completely overrated.
Gardiner isn't though

Gardiner is a s*u*p*e*r*s*t*a*r

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
ITM

Quote:
(1)What are you talking about? These wars with the media and particularly HNIC has been going on for a long time now. Perhaps as soon as Burke took over the reigns. (2)But you can pretend its something new and you can also pretend that Burke shares no responsibility in all these mud slinging stories.....you can also, like most Burke lovers, pretend that the man has done a competent job. After all...its only the Leafs, we all know how high Leaf fans set the bar. (3)All he has to do is make the playoffs and he will be deemed the greatest GM since Sam Pollock by his followers. In fact he doesn't even have to do that. Some on this board have already proclaimed him the greatest Leaf GM of our time......pathetic.
1) You used an idiom that characterized this thread and my direct response as a small issue diverting importance from a larger one. The fact you chose to invoke "wag the dog" while introducing a separate topic that has no immediate relevance ie, Criticizing a GM in June, whose team has been out since March to produce results, on a topic beat to death,etc...was and is an instance where you accusing someone of missing the point couldnt have been more comical if you tried..and that you didn't left me doubled-over.

There are a hundred ongoing frivolous bash Burke threads to choose from...why pollute yet another topic specific thread with the same rant? But then again, you're asking what I'm on about, twice essentially now, so you not having a clue isn't something I need to point..."deaf ears", "cast pearls" and what not.

2) Babble. Friend, listen...You haven't asked me what my thoughts are on Burke's overall relationship with the media is, or what I think about Toronto's journalism on the whole, so don't presume to speak for me. You're welcome to your dimly lit black and white, either/or reality, but I prefer to regard nuance and subtlety as something vital to sound thinking in rendering an opinion. And it's well within your right to be known as a "Burke-hater" going forward. I'm just amazed that someone so myopic actually finds humour in The Big Bang Theory.

3) Well, lol...According to your first non-sequitur criticism of my opinion on the topic at hand , "When is this guy going to make the news for producing some good results on the ice. All this crap that hits the papers and then the boards that has nothing to do with Wins, playoffs, respectability is a classic case of "wagging the dog". " that basically removes him from your wheelhouse of fault doesn't it?

Old
06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Bingo.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
It's so refreshing to see someone who understands this. There are a few of us in this thread (and on this forum) who can run without those blinders. Everyone else acts like a 12 year old.
And frightening that it's not the default point of conversation...I'm blown away by the "damned if do, damned if don't" rage against Brian Burke on this board.

Thanks for the comment.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

To give up on Schenn at 22, I think would be a big mistake.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
TheOneArmedMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Schenn still has good value.

GM's in the NHL are not like people on HF. They know a couple bad years for a young player =/= bust.

Schenn's issue with us is simple IMO - his game didn't suit our run and gun style of hockey. He isn't that great of a skater, and is limited in his offensive abilities. Too often he got caught flat footed against the rush, and people pissed on him for it.

I think in a balanced system, where more importance is given to physical play, and defensive structure, we will see Schenn do well as a top 4 dman. I think he can be a good defensive #3, while scoring 20+ pts, and leading the league in hits like he has for the past few years.

I think Carlyle's system will do wonders for him. I bet every GM knows a large part of his struggles was due to us not using him properly.

Similar to Beauchemin's drastic change in Anahiem. I can also see Komi doing well with Carlyle. All defensive D except for Gunnar struggled for long stretches with RW.
Luke Schenn will be needed for playoffs which are alot more physical. He will bounce back next season.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Lowe in Oil

Oilers fan coming in piece.

Since there a lot of rumors with Tor-Edm for the 1st overall, what do you guys think about this following trade offer:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013
Conditional 2nd 2013 (if Toronto makes the playoffs)
Option to swap 1sts with Toronto in 2014

for

1st overall 2012

Also, I doubt the Oilers are interested in Schenn because they have many defensemen in their system with his skill set, Oilers would be looking for a Gardiner type player for the 1st overall.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Oilers fan coming in piece.

Since there a lot of rumors with Tor-Edm for the 1st overall, what do you guys think about this following trade offer:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013
Conditional 2nd 2013 (if Toronto makes the playoffs)
Option to swap 1sts with Toronto in 2014

for

1st overall 2012

Also, I doubt the Oilers are interested in Schenn because they have many defensemen in their system with his skill set, Oilers would be looking for a Gardiner type player for the 1st overall.
Yea....... Ummm, no thanks.

You think the difference between Yakupov and Gally/Grig/Forsberg is Gardiner, another first, a 2nd and the option to switch firsts next year??

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote