HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Old
06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Oilers fan coming in piece.

Since there a lot of rumors with Tor-Edm for the 1st overall, what do you guys think about this following trade offer:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013
Conditional 2nd 2013 (if Toronto makes the playoffs)
Option to swap 1sts with Toronto in 2014

for

1st overall 2012

Also, I doubt the Oilers are interested in Schenn because they have many defensemen in their system with his skill set, Oilers would be looking for a Gardiner type player for the 1st overall.
Leafs need to add.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

Since there a lot of rumors with Tor-Edm for the 1st overall, what do you guys think about this following trade offer:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

Also, I doubt the Oilers are interested in Schenn because they have many defensemen in their system with his skill set, Oilers would be looking for a Gardiner type player for the 1st overall.
Ahh ... no

Here's a counter offer though.

To

5th overall
Schenn
Ashton
Conditional 2nd round '13

To

1st overall
4th rounder '13
Khabibulin(cap dump)

Me personally I would entertain the notion of moving Gardiner in order to get the 1st overall pick. But, I would need one of the Slovakian defensemen prospects back in the deal.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
IWD

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

The difference between 2nd overall and 5th overall is relatively small this year. Yakupov, by comparison, is the only standout of this draft class, but not a massive jump from 2-5. Gardiner will be a good one, but the difference most certainly isn't a top five pick, a second first round pick, and the option to swap picks. Seems greedy to me.

Also, other than Musil and Teubert, both projected to be third pairing defensemen, Edmonton has nothing remotely close to Schenn's calibre. Edmonton's best bet would be to take the fifth and Schenn. 5th overall will land you an impact player, and a hitting/blocking machine with top pairing potential. Can't imagine Edmonton will get a better deal.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
poetryinmotion

TO should stick to drafting 5th, his is getting out of hand. Not because I don't want you guys to get Yakupov but I'm really not that high on him. Kid's going to get pwned one day Crosby style because of how he plays, and the difference in potential between him and Galchenyuk or Grigorenko isn't that big. (IMHO) This is the same reason why I Don't want the Habs going after the first overall.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

5th to 1st in this draft isn't worth anything near that much.

I wouldn't even consider Gardiner + 5th for 1st overall, let alone adding any of the other pieces you've suggested.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:47 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

We'd rather take Schultz (didn't Burke draft him too)? And just pick at 5th overall. That'd be much better for the future of the franchise. Especially if we keep Jake Gardiner.. Come on now people. No way Burke is paying that price. Yakupov isn't THAT good.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
The difference between 2nd overall and 5th overall is relatively small this year. Yakupov, by comparison, is the only standout of this draft class, but not a massive jump from 2-5. Gardiner will be a good one, but the difference most certainly isn't a top five pick, a second first round pick, and the option to swap picks. Seems greedy to me.

Also, other than Musil and Teubert, both projected to be third pairing defensemen, Edmonton has nothing remotely close to Schenn's calibre. Edmonton's best bet would be to take the fifth and Schenn. 5th overall will land you an impact player, and a hitting/blocking machine with top pairing potential. Can't imagine Edmonton will get a better deal.
Oscar Klefbom is actually better than both those guys, and is a Schenn type player with more offensive upside. But he will stay in Europe one extra year.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:08 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
We'd rather take Schultz (didn't Burke draft him too)? And just pick at 5th overall. That'd be much better for the future of the franchise. Especially if we keep Jake Gardiner.. Come on now people. No way Burke is paying that price. Yakupov isn't THAT good.
While I agree the price of moving up is high (too high from most Oilers fans trade proposals), many people thought Stamkos wasn't going to be the real deal either. Yak is the clear number one in this years draft and, more than likely, will be something special soon.

Talking him down isn't going to change anything besides letting a few people sleep better at night. Gardiner and the 5th is likely the price Edmonton is asking. It doesn't make them crazy, they are in the captains chair right now. They don't have to trade it, nor do they have to deal with their defense immediately at the draft.

If I'm Burke I keep the 5th and keep building this thing. Steady as she goes. Toronto doesn't really have the assets to put together a competitive bid without hurting themselves in the long run like what happened with the Kessel trade (lol yeah, I said it). We haven't been at this rebuild long enough to do what LA did with Richards and Carter and not shoot ourselves in the foot in the process.

This doesn't mean I hate the Leafs, it just means that I currently put the Leafs at a different place than LA was this past summer/year. I don't think I'm reaching that far in my belief of this stage of our evolution.

Last edited by achtungbaby: 06-13-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: bad grammar, even for me
achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
BudForLife

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

BudForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:21 PM
leafsrule123

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

That's such a bad proposal lol. Burke would have had to been held gun point if he accepted that. Yakopov is not going to be that good

leafsrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

Holy Sweet Baby Jesus thats a bad trade offer.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:26 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

It takes a very talented person to get Leaf fans to agree to anything. You my friend have talent. That's a terrible proposal. IMHO

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..
Maybe its because every month there are Luke Schenn trade rumors that are "done deals" . It can get annoying don't ya think?

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Toronto needed a GM like Burke to straighten out the junk media and put them in their place for once. Perfect guy for the job and one of the reasons he was hired imo. Balls of steel.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
IWD

Quote:
Oscar Klefbom is actually better than both those guys, and is a Schenn type player with more offensive upside. But he will stay in Europe one extra year.
Klefbom is not a physical stay-at-home defenseman. Musil and Teubert are. You said that the Oilers have many players in their system with Schenn's skillset. They have no one that projects to be a top shut-down defender who will be among the league leaders in hits and blocks. I haven't seen Klefbom, and I'd be willing to bet most on this site haven't. His scouting report says he's nothing like Schenn, and I'm inclined to believe that.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
It takes a very talented person to get Leaf fans to agree to anything. You my friend have talent. That's a terrible proposal. IMHO
Well, Tambelini did say that the offer would have to be significant. IMO, Everyone remains status-quo. Oilers price is high, no one is ready to give up that much.

And Yakupov is the real deal, have seen him play. We shall see how he performs in the NHL.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:30 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Toronto needed a GM like Burke to straighten out the junk media and put them in their place for once. Perfect guy for the job and one of the reasons he was hired imo. Balls of steel.
Yes, that was why Burke was hired. The next GM can worry about winning. Let's quit obsessing with the nature of Burke's balls and focus on the team winning a championship.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:32 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Yes, that was why Burke was hired. The next GM can worry about winning. Let's quit obsessing with the nature of Burke's balls and focus on the team winning a championship.
"one"

Old
06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
"one"
"that"

Old
06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
"that"
Yes, that's what you said.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:25 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012

Holy Crap!!

What in the world makes you think Yakupov is worth more than 2 firsts and a former first who's actually living up to his hype?

Brian Burke doesn't just hang up the phone, he's gonna beat the hell out of you with it.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Holy Crap!!

What in the world makes you think Yakupov is worth more than 2 firsts and a former first who's actually living up to his hype?

Brian Burke doesn't just hang up the phone, he's gonna beat the hell out of you with it.
lmao ....this rumor was thought of while opening the 12th beer huh
yakupov may never be any better than the other top 30 picks .....i saw him play enuff ,now u throw in taylor hall .and we can talk shenn or gardiner ,but we aint giving up what we gave up for kessel .....holy crap is an understatement ..burke might be desperate but he stil wants to work again in the nhl
let craig button sell this kid to someone else .....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
I was enjoying not having to listen to Burke ranting about somthing since our season ended . I was hoping the guy tuned down his act but i guess he can't help himself .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Sypher04

Let me get this straight? You want us to give up Gardiner, our 1st this year and next year, plus a 2nd if we make the playoffs, and Edmonton gets the right to swap picks with us in 2014, for Yakupov and nothing else?

Yeah... no thanks.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
Let me get this straight? You want us to give up Gardiner, our 1st this year and next year, plus a 2nd if we make the playoffs, and Edmonton gets the right to swap picks with us in 2014, for Yakupov and nothing else?

Yeah... no thanks.
And he was coming in peace.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote