HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Old
06-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I was enjoying not having to listen to Burke ranting about somthing since our season ended . I was hoping the guy tuned down his act but i guess he can't help himself .
What rant? He was asked to comment and replied with like two sentences.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Oilers fan coming in piece.

Since there a lot of rumors with Tor-Edm for the 1st overall, what do you guys think about this following trade offer:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013
Conditional 2nd 2013 (if Toronto makes the playoffs)
Option to swap 1sts with Toronto in 2014

for

1st overall 2012

Also, I doubt the Oilers are interested in Schenn because they have many defensemen in their system with his skill set, Oilers would be looking for a Gardiner type player for the 1st overall.
At least throw in...I don't know, Jordan Eberle perhaps, to make the package even.

This is the worst thing I have ever seen and you should feel bad for posting it.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
"that"
Yes, let spend the most money on a Pres/GM who doesn't care about winning, ONLY handling the media.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:48 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Yes this was a very very short response by Burke standards by why bother taking a shot at them . He could have easily said there was no truth to the rumour and let it go but he had to add a couple of shots in his short response .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
I was enjoying not having to listen to Burke ranting about somthing since our season ended . I was hoping the guy tuned down his act but i guess he can't help himself .

Old
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Donmega

I don't see it happening at all.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
"Typical of Hockey Night"

"Some editorial control at Hockey Night would be nice for a change"

Did he need to say this in his response ? Why can't he just say there's no truth to these rumours like most GM's do and let it go at that ?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

Did he need to say this in his response ? Why can't he just say there's no truth to these rumours like most GM's do and let it go at that ?
He doesn't need to do anything. The question is, why shouldnt he?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
He doesn't need to do anything. The question is, why shouldnt he?
He can do what he wants , all i said was i was enjoying not having to listen to him since the season ended .

Old
06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Quote:
He can do what he wants , all i said was i was enjoying not having to listen to him since the season ended .
lol

He's the President and GM of the Leafs, did you really expect not to hear from him at some point?

Anyway, all these are just rumours. I hope Gardiner is not involved, I just can't see Burke giving up on him after he drafted him, traded for him, put him in a position to succeed in his first NHL season, basically give him as much ice time as he could handle by giving him time on the Marlies as well, he showed so much promise and talent and to just to give that all away...Is Yak really that much of a sure thing?

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:46 AM
ALine

Quote:
But then you actively seek out his comments...

You don't need to pay attention to him if you don't want to. They're just new stories, and they won't affect you if you don't read them.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Strange that you would seek out his comments, contemplate them and get involved in a conversation about it then.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
hotpaws

I loved to know how i actively seek out his comments . Should i tune myslelf out of the entire hockey world so i can avoid hearing him ?

You guys come out with the best stuff .

Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
ALine

Quote:
I loved to know how i actively seek out his comments . Should i tune myslelf out of the entire hockey world so i can avoid hearing him ?

You guys come out with the best stuff .
You can, oh i duno, not click the link to the article, not click the link to this thread to argue how much you don't want to argue about this.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
lol

He's the President and GM of the Leafs, did you really expect not to hear from him at some point?

Anyway, all these are just rumours. I hope Gardiner is not involved, I just can't see Burke giving up on him after he drafted him, traded for him, put him in a position to succeed in his first NHL season, basically give him as much ice time as he could handle by giving him time on the Marlies as well, he showed so much promise and talent and to just to give that all away...Is Yak really that much of a sure thing?
I hoped , i however didn't expect it .

If Burke or anyway else wants to trade up to the 1st overall it's going to take real assests . Bottom pairing guys like Franson and a 2nd or 3rd won't do it .

Last edited by hotpaws: 06-14-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
You can, oh i duno, not click the link to the article, not click the link to this thread to argue how much you don't want to argue about this.
I could also not listen to the fan/tsn or maybe i could also not read the newpapers or watch any hockey related shows either but why should do this when i find most of their content entertaining ?

Also i didn't start any argument , i just said i enjoyed not hearing from him since the Leafs season ended and then the supporters came out in force .

Old
06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
daveleaf

You guys can defend Burke all you like. I'm neither here nor there when it comes to him. I can take him or leave him for someone else.

History has shown he has issues with the media everywhere he goes. In Toronto it is HNIC. Before the younger fans go off, HNIC has been a staple of Canadiana since tv air waves have been floating over this country. Hot stove was part of that. Burke going off on HNIC is taking a shot at our heritage and the game we love. I for one have enjoyed HNIC for the last 40 years and have very fond memories of it even when the Leafs get pummeled on a weekly basis. I for one love Don Cherry-he knows more about hockey then Burke or any one of us will ever know. Burke has his issues with Cherry because Cherry ripped his coach. What happened to that coach? Did that coach come with a history of throwing players under the bus? What did he do in Toronto? Burke tried to get MacLean fired as well.....good on Ron for cornering Burke in an interview before the Montreal game questioning where this team is headed.

This team has not made the playoffs since the lockout. Part of that is JFJ's fault, a small part Fletcher and part Burke. Burke is the man holding the torch right now and everything falls on him.

I said this when he was hired. Burke thought he could come in here and with a wand change everything. He thought his bust was getting chiseled for the hockey hall of fame. This team is a failure, franchise is a failure. For those of you who believe otherwise you are looking through rose coloured glasses. We have no real young franchise players on this team or in the system. Kessel is not a franchise player I don't care how you spin it. Our captain is not the leader he envisioned.

I will give him credit for some pieces have been acquired, either through luck or knowledge. He has put together a pretty good scouting staff and minor league system but right now......sorry.....only chiseling going on right now is of his rear for the zoo, not the hall of fame.

Sorry to be negative but Burke doesn't do it for me. We needed a quiet leader, not someone to pick fights with everyone when his own team has no bite.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
I could also not listen to the fan/tsn or maybe i could also not read the newpapers or watch any hockey related shows either but why should do this when i find most of their content entertaining ?

Also i didn't start any argument , i just said i enjoyed not hearing from him since the Leafs season ended and then the supporters came out in force .
So why did you click on the thread, knowing full well (based on the title) you were going to "hear from him"?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:52 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
So why did you click on the thread, knowing full well (based on the title) you were going to "hear from him"?
Is Burke posting in this thread ?

Old
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Sypher04

This argument is mind-numbing.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
ALine

You and your arguments are too funny hotpaws.

If it bothers you as much a you claim, just leave it well enough alone. I have noticed you're very active in pretty much every thread related to Burke. I'm guessing you just like to complain.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:

Exactly what I said too.....the guy has no class. Zero. I also agree with DaveLeaf..HNIC is Canadiana at its finest. Burke is an arrogant cowboy. HNIC is one of sports (North American) greatest broadcasts. It is legendary in the industry. Once this self-aggrandizing, self-righteous pompous GM starts producing the results everybody expects of him, then maybe he can start lipping off and wagging the middle finger....right now he just looks like a jerk, IMO. Don't mouth off when you cannot back it up. Right now good ole Burkie is in no position to pick fights.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
You and your arguments are too funny hotpaws.

If it bothers you as much a you claim, just leave it well enough alone. I have noticed you're very active in pretty much every thread related to Burke. I'm guessing you just like to complain.
Geez i make one post on page 7 of a thread and get jumped by the fan club and i'm complaining ?

Old
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Geez i make one post on page 7 of a thread and get jumped by the fan club and i'm complaining ?
Yes, you finally get it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Exactly what I said too.....the guy has no class. Zero. I also agree with DaveLeaf..HNIC is Canadiana at its finest. Burke is an arrogant cowboy. HNIC is one of sports (North American) greatest broadcasts. It is legendary in the industry. Once this self-aggrandizing, self-righteous pompous GM starts producing the results everybody expects of him, then maybe he can start lipping off and wagging the middle finger....right now he just looks like a jerk, IMO. Don't mouth off when you cannot back it up. Right now good ole Burkie is in no position to pick fights.
So, he's outspoken. I've always seen that as a positive in people. I would far rather deal with someone who speaks their mind than hides their views behind a lot of polite niceties. Burke thinks HNIC does some things wrong, so what? I don't see why it's an issue with you.

Do you jump into every thread on these boards where people complain about HNIC and I've seen a lot of them and defend it? If it is unacceptable to you for Burke, a man with a long history of working for NHL players, NHL teams, and the NHL itself, to comment negatively about HNIC, shouldn't it be unacceptable for a mere message poster to comment.

I wonder if there's a correlation at all between posters who complain about Burke's statement and those who complain about players who show a little bit of cockiness and flare. It seems that both groups would much prefer the overly polite, almost sickenly humble prairie farm boy approach to dealing with the media.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote