HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi's rebuild plan

Old
06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

vCash: 500
Dean Lombardi's rebuild plan

Oiler fan here

When Lombardi was hired in LA I seem to remember him having one or two events with Kings season ticket holders where he outlined his plan for rebuilding the team on the ice as well as the culture off the ice. I found it really interesting.....I remember someone posting it on here and I was just wondering if someone could link me to those posts? I haven't had luck searching for them because I can't remember what exactly the event was called!

Hemsky is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Search for "Breakfast with the GM" including the quote marks.

Some hits (may not be all):

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=886685
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=747503
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=489760
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=332294
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=331593
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=276214

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Richie10

Dean Lombardi originally projected Frolov-Kopitar-Purcell to be his top line. So I think the plan done changed along the way.

Lombardi has adapted fairly well to changes along the way, but his plan has always been the same: build from the net out, defense over offense.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
nki

You might find this of use as well: http://lakingsnews.com/surly-scribe-...able-lombardi/

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:56 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Be warned...it might take MONTHS to get past Lombardi's quotes...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
I think it's amazing how this team came together, and of course Lombardi was a big part of it... but I'll always think Lombardi basically backed into a SC winner. Especially the moves in the last year and a half. Some felt more like job saving transactions.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
I think it's amazing how this team came together, and of course Lombardi was a big part of it... but I'll always think Lombardi basically backed into a SC winner. Especially the moves in the last year and a half. Some felt more like job saving transactions.
I didn't know you could "back into" the Stanley Cup. You're insight is truly valuable. Thanks bro.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
There were some moves that were definitely unplanned and right place at the right time moves, but backed into it, um no.

He could have called up King and Nolan at any point in the season when we were complaining about the bottom six. He didn't. Murray would have ruined them. A good move. Richards, good move duh. Carter, right place at the right time. Penner, got lambasted for the move but he played amazingly in the playoffs. Stoll's taken a hiding and has played amazingly. You can't have a set plan as far as defined lines go because variables call things into question on a nightly basis, but you can have a goal and decide what is the best way to build towards that goal. Lombardi did that.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I didn't know you could "back into" the Stanley Cup. You're insight is truly valuable. Thanks bro.
Would you say Dale Tallon deserves great respect for making the Florida Panthers a playoff team?

I didn't mean to denigrate the Kings. I think they're an awesome team and seeing their chemistry develop was amazing and led to a deserved cup run. Please understand I'm making a distinction there.

Maybe separating Lombardi's moves from the team's accomplishments are ultimately a futile exercise. That's just how I feel. Not a big DL fan.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
You, my friend, are nucking futz.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I think I know who Dean Lombardi is in an alternate reality.....

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some required reading from Pierre LeBrun on Lombardi, as well as Richards and Carter.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012...-mike-richards

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. Dean came to LA with a vision: build from the net out and through the middle. He drafted Bernier and developed Quick. Drafted nothing but defense in the first round and beyond to stock the team, knowing that defensemen take longer to develop (unless you are Doughty). Drafted some great players in the 2nd round (Simmonds and Voynov). Traded for Richards to slot behind Kopitar. Then used an extra defenseman (Johnson) to acquire the sniper the Kings needed to complete the puzzle (Carter).

Firing Murray was his most important move and I'm just glad he didn't wait too long. Sutter was an amazing hire and he was nothing like the media painted him. I don't know if he changed or if he was never the guy the media made him out to be.

If Sutter stays in LA, the Kings should be a much improved regular season team and could make another run in the playoffs, if healthy.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Would you say Dale Tallon deserves great respect for making the Florida Panthers a playoff team?

I didn't mean to denigrate the Kings. I think they're an awesome team and seeing their chemistry develop was amazing and led to a deserved cup run. Please understand I'm making a distinction there.

Maybe separating Lombardi's moves from the team's accomplishments are ultimately a futile exercise. That's just how I feel. Not a big DL fan.
The team underachieved all year mostly due to a coach who refused to change anything. Lombardi has made mistakes but he followed his "plan" pretty much as he said he would. Sure he got lucky that things worked out this year but every team that wins a Cup is going to get some form of luck. The bottom line is he put the building blocks in place to allow that to happen.

BTW.. did anyone see DL drop Dave Taylor's name a few times last night thanking him for Kopi, Quick and Brown? In a big moment for him, that was nice of him to deflect some of the credit to Dave Taylor. Lombardi has his quirks but one of his things he has put an emphasis on since he has been in LA has been embracing alumni and the history of the team no matter how dismal. For that I would always think some of the old timers would have a soft spot for him.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Really happy for Dean. Sure he talks a lot, but if you are a fan of the Kings and interested in talking hockey with him he will oblige you in a big way.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:45 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Given enough time, any NHL GM is going to have some mistakes. In that article from LeBrun, Lombardi admits as much himself. The big thing hanging over Dean from his time in SJ was that he did a poor job negotiating contracts with his players, and it looked like we were going to see a repeat of the holdouts that helped get him fired from SJ when Doughty wasn't in training camp. But to his credit, DL stepped up and paid Drew, and his playoff performance shows that he made the right decision. And I have no doubt that he is going to take care of Quick this summer as well.

The major mistake he made this season was keeping Terry Murray around as long as he did. It's unfortunate the Kings had to wait so long to fire him, given the way the team had started to plateau with their on ice performances was evident as early as last season. With 20/20 hindsight, it would have made sense to see him "promote" Murray to some other spot in the org (what does Jack Ferreria do besides be an ex-Duck?) before the season started and get someone else behind the bench.

But all things considered, none of that matters now. The Kings are the Stanley Cup champions and Dean Lombardi is the person who has brought more happiness and joy to this franchise's fans (long suffering and more recent) than any other GM in this club's 45 year history.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Another great article on Dean Lombardi. It is very cool to see how much the players respect their boss.
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|LAK|home
Quote:
"His vision, his passion lives through us on the ice," Penner said during the Cup celebration on the ice at Staples Center. "We wouldn't be the team we were without having him at the helm."

"He's always believed in us," added Anze Kopitar. "He's patted us on the back, kicked us in the butts. That's what you want from your GM."

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote