HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau NOT Retained, Signed with Avs

Old
06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Has Grabner ever played on JT's wing? I wonder if his speed could open up ice for JT to maneuver though.
Yeah, for a few games. It wasn't bad but also wasn't good.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:56 PM
crashthenet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
show any proof of that, please.

also, PA is an eminently replaceable player. He's soft, doesnt play defense, and played shotgun to tavares a lot. He is not worth the kind of money, and moreso, the YEARS he wants. How can you pay him 4 million or 5 million over six years based on what he did this year? Im assuming this is what you would do, and if you would, you'd be a worse owner than Wang.
He is replaceable but who replaces him?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Is the team better without him?
Who is replacing him?

A rushed 19 yr old Strome?Or a legitimate top 6 forward?

I'll be disappointed and po'd if the Isles don't use the salary they offered Parenteau ,on a skilled, established top 6 forward.

Parenteau is replaceable.Snow needs to go out and find a quality replacement,if the team feels they can't meet PA's contract demands.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Who is replacing him?

A rushed 19 yr old Strome?Or a legitimate top 6 forward?

I'll be disappointed and po'd if the Isles don't use the salary they offered Parenteau ,on a skilled, established top 6 forward.

Parenteau is replaceable.Snow needs to go out and find a quality replacement,if the team feels they can't meet PA's contract demands.
This is pretty much my point. I don't want to see a rushed Strome. The free agent market isn't kind to us and outside of Jiri Hudler who would we have a shot at? As replaceable as he is, he still will needs to be replaced.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:11 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
No one is in the wrong here.
PAP should be looking for the biggest deal. This is his last chance to do so in life.
Snow should not be giving PAP long-term money. There are younger, potentially superior players in the pipeline.

We arent a good match right now.

Please clarify for me...Who are we a good match for? Because if the only players we're a match for is guys like Reasoner, Jurcina, Eaton, Sim, Staios, and Pandolfo then we might as well move to the AHL.

At some point we're going to have to step up and *overpay* for a maybe even a decent player, if not a great one. That is the reality of today's NHL. Otherwise we're just going to continue to be on the bottom-5 hamster wheel.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:15 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Please clarify for me...Who are we a good match for? Because if the only players we're a match for is guys like Reasoner, Jurcina, Eaton, Sim, Staios, and Pandolfo then we might as well move to the AHL.

At some point we're going to have to step up and *overpay* for a maybe even a decent player, if not a great one. That is the reality of today's NHL. Otherwise we're just going to continue to be on the bottom-5 hamster wheel.
Be honest.

Before the Wiz trade was made,did you see if coming?What about the Erhoff and Vis moves?

Just because the isles have not come out and said this is our plan B in case Parenteau leaves,does not mean they don't have one.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:21 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Be honest.

Before the Wiz trade was made,did you see if coming?What about the Erhoff and Vis moves?

Just because the isles have not come out and said this is our plan B in case Parenteau leaves,does not mean they don't have one.
This is true.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Be honest.

It doesn't mean they do either.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
periferal

Quote:
Be honest.

Excuse me...

Trading for two defenders on the downside of their careers and with one year left on their contract is some sort of significant move? We all know that Visnovsky is not going to be here more than a year. He's a stop-gap solution in the hopes that DeHann, Mayfield, Donovan, Reinhart, or some other young D man in our system is ready for a full-time role on the Island.

And why does Wang need "stop-gap solutions" to wait for the young prospects to hopefully develop?

Because Wang cannot get, or refuses to spend the money on, a legit free agent to join the "core" of players we hope can maybe compete for a Cup one day.

And please don't overlook the fact that, once again, with Vinovsky we've picked up a player with a HIGHER CAP NUMBER THAN ACTUAL SALARY.

We have one of the lowest actual payrolls and that's with over 6 million going to DP and Yashin. If we don't start REALLY SPENDING on players on good players who will be here for years then we're going to continue to pick top 5.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
shadow1

The Avs beat writer seems to think Colorado will at least make an offer to PA.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...e-offer/10915/

I've seen him play a little bit, but not too much. Would he suffer playing on a more defensive team like the Avalanche? Is it realistic to expect him to contribute 45-50 points if Colorado goes out and gets this guy, assuming he plays with Matt Duchene and Milan Hejduk to start?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post

I've seen him play a little bit, but not too much. Would he suffer playing on a more defensive team like the Avalanche? Is it realistic to expect him to contribute 45-50 points if Colorado goes out and gets this guy, assuming he plays with Matt Duchene and Milan Hejduk to start?
Duchene is a very good fit for PA. PAP needs a guy on the line who can hustle straight up and down the ice in a responsible manner. Either Matt or Milan will need to pick up the goalscoring though.

PAP's best assets are his ability to stickhandle (really high end) into the zone and he can make plays when given time and space. His shot is underwhelming and he misses many good chances. Oddly enough, he is good from in close in the shootout though. 5-on-4 he'll be very effective. Let him get a full head of steam heading into the offensive zone and he'll gain the zone more often than not. He can poke the puck out of a scrum as the extra player, but don't expect him to win 1-on-1 battles along the boards with consistency.

He's a below average skater to be nice. He has a decent top speed and can handle the puck at it, but it takes him several strides to get there. There's a slight possibility that we've yet to see him at the height of his physical capabilities. So maybe there's some more room for the skating and stability to improve, but I wouldn't bet too much money on it.

When he's playing well he doesn't force the play. When he's not, he'll cough up the puck a bit. Generally, he's improved a lot in this area. He'll finish his checks regularly, but he's not a big player. He's a little bit of yapper and can get under the skin of opposing players a little; I haven't seen him really stand down, but I've also never seen him stand up all the way. Considering his role, that makes sense. He seemed to be liked by his teammates. I actually think he puts in a very good effort, but he doesn't tend to know when to conserve energy and when it's the time to push it to make a play. I think the amount of effort required for his skating really hurts his game. If he could accelerate well and stay on his feet more, he'd be a very effective player. So far, he hasn't show the ability to do that.

I'm probably one of his biggest critics, but it had more to do with the makeup of our our top-6 than anything else. We're a physically underwhelming squad and PAP was a prime area to upgrade. Our top line was not a good 5-on-5 line as far as I'm concerned, and we were really weak against certain top teams in the East. If you pencil PAP into the top PP unit and he's lined up as you say he will be, I think he'll hit 45-50 points without too much of an issue; under the assumption that his linemates can finish. A right side defender with a good shot can also be a great help. PAP will (very) often gain the zone and look to backhand the puck off the boards to the point if he can't get a pass across the ice. It'll frustrate you at times when it's not the best play or he should really hold it and has time to do so, but you'd rather seem him put it to the point than force a play that isn't there.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:15 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Duchene is a very good fit for PA. PAP needs a guy on the line who can hustle straight up and down the ice in a responsible manner. Either Matt or Milan will need to pick up the goalscoring though.

PAP's best assets are his ability to stickhandle (really high end) into the zone and he can make plays when given time and space. His shot is underwhelming and he misses many good chances. Oddly enough, he is good from in close in the shootout though. 5-on-4 he'll be very effective. Let him get a full head of steam heading into the offensive zone and he'll gain the zone more often than not. He can poke the puck out of a scrum as the extra player, but don't expect him to win 1-on-1 battles along the boards with consistency.

He's a below average skater to be nice. He has a decent top speed and can handle the puck at it, but it takes him several strides to get there. There's a slight possibility that we've yet to see him at the height of his physical capabilities. So maybe there's some more room for the skating and stability to improve, but I wouldn't bet too much money on it.

When he's playing well he doesn't force the play. When he's not, he'll cough up the puck a bit. Generally, he's improved a lot in this area. He'll finish his checks regularly, but he's not a big player. He's a little bit of yapper and can get under the skin of opposing players a little; I haven't seen him really stand down, but I've also never seen him stand up all the way. Considering his role, that makes sense. He seemed to be liked by his teammates. I actually think he puts in a very good effort, but he doesn't tend to know when to conserve energy and when it's the time to push it to make a play. I think the amount of effort required for his skating really hurts his game. If he could accelerate well and stay on his feet more, he'd be a very effective player. So far, he hasn't show the ability to do that.

I'm probably one of his biggest critics, but it had more to do with the makeup of our our top-6 than anything else. We're a physically underwhelming squad and PAP was a prime area to upgrade. Our top line was not a good 5-on-5 line as far as I'm concerned, and we were really weak against certain top teams in the East. If you pencil PAP into the top PP unit and he's lined up as you say he will be, I think he'll hit 45-50 points without too much of an issue; under the assumption that his linemates can finish. A right side defender with a good shot can also be a great help. PAP will (very) often gain the zone and look to backhand the puck off the boards to the point if he can't get a pass across the ice. It'll frustrate you at times when it's not the best play or he should really hold it and has time to do so, but you'd rather seem him put it to the point than force a play that isn't there.

Mitch
Nice write up, thanks.

Sounds like a guy who'd be good on Matt Duchene's line because of Duchene's inability to use his line-mates properly and gain the zone himself. Also sounds like he'd be a good contrast to David Jones and Steve Downie, who presumably will both be playing RW on different lines for the Avalanche next season.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
blitzkriegs

I'd give up the 20-25 points for a Better overall two-way 50piint player.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post

Mitch
I love when he does that. Usually there is a lot of ice available over there for the Dman to take the pass, move in and rip it.

:50 seconds in. Parenteau makes a sweet saucer to Martinek who rips it high glove on Lundqvist.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:34 AM
boredmale

Quote:

I give this advice to anyteam looking at PAP. If a team needs a right handed shot to play off the left hand board on the first unit of the PP, PAP would make a good addition. Now if a team doesn't need that PAPs biggest contribution to a team will nullified.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:25 AM
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best

Meuller and PA rights swap?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:47 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
I'd give up the 20-25 points for a Better overall two-way 50piint player.
you're looking to sign mikael samuelsson, then?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:11 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I love when he does that. Usually there is a lot of ice available over there for the Dman to take the pass, move in and rip it.

:50 seconds in. Parenteau makes a sweet saucer to Martinek who rips it high glove on Lundqvist.
That play has nothing to do with what you bolded. This play actually shows that PAP can make a pass when he has a second. It also shows why he's good on the power play, even though this is at even strength. His stick is like glue here - this is his best skill. He picks the puck cleanly off of an odd bounce off the boards. He keeps the puck on his stick, plays keep-away, and makes a very nice pass as you mentioned. He does this all while not moving around too much on the ice. PA does have good vision while facing the play with some time.

He's all the way on the left side here, uses his forehand to pass, and he was already in the zone without the puck. Not quite the same.

I'm talking about when he enters the zone on the right side with the puck after he's carried it all the way up the ice. Regardless, it's a pretty good reference for how he would actually function on the power play. He almost always ends up on the other side of the ice like this (which is fine when it's from players rotating, but he is a bit of a wanderer at even strength.)

Mitch

Old
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Meuller and PA rights swap?
Only the Islanders would give up on signing a 50-60 pt player for a guy who is 1 injury away from retiring. Meuller is Rick Dipietro

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Nice write up, thanks.

Sounds like a guy who'd be good on Matt Duchene's line because of Duchene's inability to use his line-mates properly and gain the zone himself. Also sounds like he'd be a good contrast to David Jones and Steve Downie, who presumably will both be playing RW on different lines for the Avalanche next season.
I agree that it's a pretty good complementary arrangement. I think PA will be suitable as long as there's enough finish on the rest of his line.

I hoped we would have aimed for Jeff Carter during the season to attach PA next to (and bump KO up.) Sadly, we didn't have Jack Johnson to trade (and the Isles have pretty bad luck with long contracts to say the least.)

PA should be next to a strong skating center who can get up and down the ice easily who also has the ability to finish. If the center is physical, can retrieve the puck or occupy another player in 1-on-1 battles, then even better.

I think PAP will be more than fine on the Avalanche in the role you suggest.

Mitch

Old
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
TROLLPOSO
Brian Strait SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Only the Islanders would give up on signing a 50-60 pt player for a guy who is 1 injury away from retiring. Meuller is Rick Dipietro
Does he have a 15 year contract too? Florida signed another concussed Avalanche player - Fleischmann, that worked out well for them. What do you have to lose by swapping their rights?

TROLLPOSO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:51 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Does he have a 15 year contract too? Florida signed another concussed Avalanche player - Fleischmann, that worked out well for them. What do you have to lose by swapping their rights?

Fleischman had a pulmonary issue and I would've loved it if they went after him last year. A good player at either wing. I like Mueller as well but he missed more than 120 games over the last 2 seasons due to concussion. Not adverse to taking a flyer on him but I would like to see PA retained.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Islanderfan17

Assuming PA walks and we don't get a suitable replacement I say we slot KO there or experiment a bit with maybe Grabner or even Ullstrom? (If he is comfortable switching sides)

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:57 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Parenteau wants a long term deal.

Mueller will probably sign a 1 yr deal,trying to prove he's put the injuries behind him.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
hilib

Everything I read about Parenteau screams he'd be a good fit on Kesler's wing, so I'm pretty convinced we won't get him. We have the cap space though, so a boy can dare to dream.

hilib is offline   Reply With Quote