HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau NOT Retained, Signed with Avs

Old
06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Does he have a 15 year contract too? Florida signed another concussed Avalanche player - Fleischmann, that worked out well for them. What do you have to lose by swapping their rights?
I dont want to swap anything, I want PAP to be re-signed with the Islanders. Mueller is 1 hit away from retirement. Its a foolish to pass up on Pap and then sign Mueller and expect the same results.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
BrandonL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilib View Post
Everything I read about Parenteau screams he'd be a good fit on Kesler's wing, so I'm pretty convinced we won't get him. We have the cap space though, so a boy can dare to dream.
+1

I'm hoping the Canucks go after Parenteau hard when he hits free agency. They need a pass first winger to play on the second line with Kesler and Booth, and Parenteau seems like the best fit available.

Also, he'd be a significant upgrade on the second PP unit.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:33 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
+1

I'm hoping the Canucks go after Parenteau hard when he hits free agency. They need a pass first winger to play on the second line with Kesler and Booth, and Parenteau seems like the best fit available.

Also, he'd be a significant upgrade on the second PP unit.
For a second, I thought I was in the Trade Forum.

The UFA market is dwindling by the day, Parenteau may have quite a few suitors on Sunday. I could see a fit in Vancouver as you describe, but it's looking more and more likely that he'll get a Leino type of contract. Would you be happy with that?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

That makes all the more likely that Andrei Kostitsyn becomes an Isle on July 1st.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
That makes all the more likely that Andrei Kostitsyn becomes an Isle on July 1st.
Care to elaborate? AK hasn't been mentioned at all as a target for the Isles, as far as I know.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
I'd give up the 20-25 points for a Better overall two-way 50piint player.
YES-YES-YES

unfortunately it's more likely Snow will welcome back Trent Hunter or the underaged Swiss Cheese Power Forward than someone like Shane Doan...

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I dont want to swap anything, I want PAP to be re-signed with the Islanders. Mueller is 1 hit away from retirement. Its a foolish to pass up on Pap and then sign Mueller and expect the same results.
We are not resigning him to a ridiculous contract. So why not make a move for an asset?

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

The UFA market is dwindling by the day, Parenteau may have quite a few suitors on Sunday. I could see a fit in Vancouver as you describe, but it's looking more and more likely that he'll get a Leino type of contract. Would you be happy with that?
Six years is definitely too long, but I could easily see the Canucks offering 4-4.5 million per year. However, I'm not sure if that will be enough.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised you guys haven't traded his rights yet. Most of you seem to think he's done with the Islanders, may as well pick up a late round pick in the process.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Not trading Parenteau previously yielded:
Any positive effects on teammates gained in games played with Parenteau after the deadline.
Positive message to the team by not trading a producing player while the team was still within reach of the playoffs.
Extra negotiating time.

Not trading Parenteau cost us:
Some unknown asset. For fun, let's say it was a 2nd round pick.
Give me the tangible asset every day of the week.

It was and remains my belief that, already in late February, it was clear as day to Snow that Parenteau was at least testing this summer's market, just as he darn well knew at that time that this team wasn't making the playoffs.

I wish he had used that knowledge to this franchise's benefit.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:47 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

It was and remains my belief that, already in late February, it was clear as day to Snow that Parenteau was at least testing this summer's market, just as he darn well knew at that time that this team wasn't making the playoffs.

Plus if Gaustad went for a 1st rounder at the deadline, you have to think Parenteau would have gotten something similar.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:19 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

I was pretty angry that PA wasn't dealt at the deadline for the same reasons you mentioned. I eventually cooled off, but this whole situation is an exercise in terrible asset management. Whatever, no use in crying over it now.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Care to elaborate? AK hasn't been mentioned at all as a target for the Isles, as far as I know.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...R-MORE/1/45307

Quote:
On Andrei Kostitsyn...

Hearing the Isles and Blue Jackets may lead this race.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:13 AM
hilib

Quote:

Gillis seems to like expiring contracts on players around 34/35, so 6 years is more then I'd expect he'd be offered. I'd like to believe that our excellent negotiating team(that has gotten the likes of Hamheus by challenging his philanthropic nature to take less, or Burrows to sign a sweet heart of a deal by politely threatening a trade) could manage to save some years.

I'm okay with him overspending somewhat, especially at the expense of length, as it appears the cap is just going to keep going up and up, and I'm of the mindset that we don't stand a chance in the Sutter sweepstakes, and that the Canucks have two important holes that need to be addressed, a pairing for Edler and a play-making winger for Kesler. So I'd rather overpay on something that works, rather then keep trying experiments.

hilib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:05 AM
mitchy22

Quote:

It's easy for us to want the tangible assets. It's harder for a GM to measure the intangibles in relation to the tangible assets. We have no idea whether any of our players were polled on this subject. What if Garth actually asked Cappy, Streit, and JT about the effect of PAP leaving?

...and remember, I'm not exactly a fan of PAP where he was in our lineup, nor did I like the makeup of our top-6 at all. I just think it's easy to say "we should have done this" when the state of the room isn't visible to us. You may very well be right. I'm simply suggesting that the unknown part of the equation wasn't necessarily completely unknown to the GM. (Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but I would hope a GM would consider the effects of a trade on his team as one of the factors.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:00 AM
number72

I don't see it positively when the Islanders let their better players who want to get paid walk and than sign up other teams rejects so they don't overspend the cap floor.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:20 AM
crashthenet

One thing I can say about Garth Snow is he doesn't tip his hand. Ecklund occasionally guesses right but is mostly nonsense ( Kovy trade to Isles or Wild?). PA could be on the verge of re-signing or another deal could be made ( no rumor of Visnovsky, deal was announced).

I'm hoping we re-sign PA or trade for replacement, add some grit and upgrade the defense. Good luck to us tomorrow.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:29 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I don't see it positively when the Islanders let their better players who want to get paid walk and than sign up other teams rejects so they don't overspend the cap floor.
Parenteau said in an interview in late May,that he and the Isles were not that far apart,although some distance remained.

Later someone tweeted it was term holding up an extension.

I don't think we can accuse the Isles of cap floor tricks with PA.It sounds more like they don't want to give him a 4-6 yr deal.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
So no actual sources?

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
PA to the Avs. 4 years $16 million. That's a lot of money for a guy of his ilk. Wouldn't have been too happy if Snow gave him that.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:57 PM
startainfection

at only 4 per he should've got it here

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
PA to the Avs. 4 years $16 million. That's a lot of money for a guy of his ilk. Wouldn't have been too happy if Snow gave him that.
I would have been ok with it,so long as PA didn't get a NTC or NMC.

I thought someone would wildly overpay on a weak market,give him 4-6 yrs,at $4.5m per.So he signed for lower numbers then I expected.

Good luck to him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:21 PM
HockeyDonkey33

Hey guys, Avs fan here. Just wanted to say thanks to the many of you guys who relayed your observations and information about PAP. He seems like a well liked member of your squad. Hope you guys have a great season and M. Moulson has a stellar year again for me (he has been a fantasy gem for me 2 years running!) Looking forward for you guys to tear the playoffs up!

HockeyDonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDonkey33 View Post
Hey guys, Avs fan here. Just wanted to say thanks to the many of you guys who relayed your observations and information about PAP. He seems like a well liked member of your squad. Hope you guys have a great season and M. Moulson has a stellar year again for me (he has been a fantasy gem for me 2 years running!) Looking forward for you guys to tear the playoffs up!
We'll make sure we tear the playoffs up when we make in 2022... Oh no we suck again!!!

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
The cap is at 70 million. How much money should someone who scored 65+ get?

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
He cashed in can't blame him. But honestly we should have resigned him to that contract. People can say he's not a real 1st liner or that his stats are inflated but reality is he clicked with jt and mm so why not give him $4mil per year when you're trying to reach the floor? No good reason not to. Cap space doesnt mean a thing if you don't use it

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote