HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau NOT Retained, Signed with Avs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
  #126
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
You can say that PAP had faults, but fact is you can't automatically plug someone in on Tavares' line and expect 67 points. One who does so while wearing his heart on his sleeve, something we just don't see from guys like Okposo or Grabner.

We nee more guys with that mentality, not less.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
  #127
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
You can say that PAP had faults, but fact is you can't automatically plug someone in on Tavares' line and expect 67 points. One who does so while wearing his heart on his sleeve, something we just don't see from guys like Okposo or Grabner.

We nee more guys with that mentality, not less.
Parenteau made the NHL at 27 yrs old.

I guess he just found the heart on the sleeve style, that KO and Grabner lack?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  #128
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
I knew we shoulda traded that guy at the deadline!!

we would have a first round pick instead of nothing

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:45 PM
  #129
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Parenteau made the NHL at 27 yrs old.

I guess he just found the heart on the sleeve style, that KO and Grabner lack?
That's what happens when you have to struggle for a job in the NHL. KO has shown it before but it usually wears down a few games after he returns from a benching.

Grabner is a good guy, but he has to throw his body around more.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  #130
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Just tossing around ideas. Really don't know if this would work at all, but how about putting Ullstrom with JT and Moulson? Ullstrom has some grit to his game, he's a big body and he can put the puck in a the net as well.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:11 PM
  #131
jdr016
Registered User
 
jdr016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think PA is going to 4-5 years and $4.5-5M/per. It won't be in an Isles jersey
Thank god then!

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
  #132
jdr016
Registered User
 
jdr016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I knew we shoulda traded that guy at the deadline!!

we would have a first round pick instead of nothing
Actually, Snow was asking for a first round pick. Teams were only offering seconds.

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:06 PM
  #133
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
That's what happens when you have to struggle for a job in the NHL. KO has shown it before but it usually wears down a few games after he returns from a benching.

Grabner is a good guy, but he has to throw his body around more.
I like Parenteau and hope he stays,but I disagree with the idea that he plays with his heart on his sleeve and can't be replaced.

KO has been a healthy scratch 3x in his career that I can recall.Those three straight games this seaon.I don't know how you can post he 'usually wears down a few games after he returns from a benching'. That comments implies a trend.How can something that has occured 1 season be a trend?

Okposo picked his play up in Dec and Jan after that 3 game benching.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:50 PM
  #134
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Whelp, this sucks. If he really is going to test the market, I pray to god that Snow could do something right and find a suitable replacement for those points.
Dude, they resigned Joensuu!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:11 AM
  #135
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Actually, Snow was asking for a first round pick. Teams were only offering seconds.
who knows what they were actually offered but I had read that it was actually 3rds or at best very late 2nds.. IMO at the time I thought t was worth the gamble and the remainder of the season if it was anything less than a 1st or very high #2 .. not going to second guess now..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:00 AM
  #136
teddygmr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Dude, they resigned Joensuu!
as well as Joensuu played in the game vs USA in world championships, it would be interesting to see how he does on JT's line in a couple preseason games. His size could open up a lot of space!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:51 AM
  #137
Janson
fireSNOW
 
Janson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Once PAP figures out what the market value is for him he should come back to Snow with the # so Snow can sign and trade him to where ever. I'm sure they would perfer to retain PAP but it is not and was not gonna happen.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:07 AM
  #138
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
Once PAP figures out what the market value is for him he should come back to Snow with the # so Snow can sign and trade him to where ever. I'm sure they would perfer to retain PAP but it is not and was not gonna happen.
Wrong league, but I'd take him on the Knicks over Toney Douglas.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:25 AM
  #139
Janson
fireSNOW
 
Janson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Wrong league, but I'd take him on the Knicks over Toney Douglas.
Oh well, then were ****ed again.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:56 AM
  #140
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,174
vCash: 500
PA's only value to us right now are his exclusive rights to negotiate before July 1st and I'll be damned if we don't use that as a bargaining tool.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:37 AM
  #141
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
who knows what they were actually offered but I had read that it was actually 3rds or at best very late 2nds.. IMO at the time I thought t was worth the gamble and the remainder of the season if it was anything less than a 1st or very high #2 .. not going to second guess now..
Do you have a source about those offers? The only place I read about a 3rd was here by 1 poster. The 1st and 2nd stuff I have seen was speculation by fans.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:25 PM
  #142
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Do you have a source about those offers? The only place I read about a 3rd was here by 1 poster. The 1st and 2nd stuff I have seen was speculation by fans.
I don't think any team was actually offering a 1st. We heard speculation that Snow asked for Stone + 1st from Ottawa and fans took that as "we could've have traded him for a first if he didn't ask for Stone."

If the asking price was a 2nd round pick then I would have passed. All along I just wanted the Isles to resign him in the offseason.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:05 PM
  #143
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
I don't think any team was actually offering a 1st. We heard speculation that Snow asked for Stone + 1st from Ottawa and fans took that as "we could've have traded him for a first if he didn't ask for Stone."

If the asking price was a 2nd round pick then I would have passed. All along I just wanted the Isles to resign him in the offseason.

I'd be really curious what the GM passed up from LA

also those negotiations should have progressed to either stone and a second or just a first

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:37 PM
  #144
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,319
vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
I don't think any team was actually offering a 1st. We heard speculation that Snow asked for Stone + 1st from Ottawa and fans took that as "we could've have traded him for a first if he didn't ask for Stone."

If the asking price was a 2nd round pick then I would have passed. All along I just wanted the Isles to resign him in the offseason.
I do like how Garth is firm on his requests, that would have been a hell of a return!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:24 PM
  #145
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I do like how Garth is firm on his requests, that would have been a hell of a return!
Ya I love how Garth is so firm that he would rather lose assets for nothing every season rather than adding value to the franchise. That is either the mark of a great GM or a 4th grader who throws a temper tantrum every week when asked to clean his room and gets grounded weekly instead while all the other kids are out playing

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:10 PM
  #146
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
I can't see how we couldn't have got at least a first pick considering Paul Gaustad got a first rounder + a fourth rounder!!

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
  #147
iggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
All the other GM`s know that he was getting all of his points playing with
Tavares. He is not worth a 1st.

iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:05 PM
  #148
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I can't see how we couldn't have got at least a first pick considering Paul Gaustad got a first rounder + a fourth rounder!!

It's because PA is only good in a top 6 and pp role. He wouldn't have been an upgrade for any playoff team in that role.

Gaustad is a good bottom six guy. Good on faceoffs, willing to drop the gloves and can also chip in some points. For a playoff team Gaustad brought a lot more value than PA.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:09 PM
  #149
JeffNYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
All the other GM`s know that he was getting all of his points playing with
Tavares. He is not worth a 1st.
Of course. There's no other team in the NHL in which PA is going to play ON THE FIRST LINE.

So that says two things:

1) We need an upgrade over PA Parenteau
2) PA Parenteau needs to realize he's PA Parenteau

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
  #150
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
It's because PA is only good in a top 6 and pp role. He wouldn't have been an upgrade for any playoff team in that role.

Gaustad is a good bottom six guy. Good on faceoffs, willing to drop the gloves and can also chip in some points. For a playoff team Gaustad brought a lot more value than PA.
I think Andrei Kostitsyn bought back a 2nd rounder + a conditional 5th rounder.

Parenteau,in the midst of a 67 pt season could not have bought back a similar return?The market was tight,with few teams selling.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.