HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau NOT Retained, Signed with Avs

Old
06-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
It does not take too much guess work to figure out we could have got at least a 2nd for PAP. How many players had more points than PAP last year... 26. Do people here honestly believe a GM wouldn't offer at least a 2nd for a chance to put a 67 point player on the 2nd line.

I would bet Snow got offered a 1st by someone and got too stubborn and demanded more. 67 point guys do not grow on trees and JT did benefited from PAP just like PAP benefited from JT. It works both ways.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:23 PM
CodeE

vCash: 500
My opinion is I couldn't be happier to see Parenteau go and never wear an Islanders sweater again. He improved this year, but we forget just how much of a whipping boy he was for us in 2010-11. I don't want to bump the old thread, but here's what this community thought when PAP was resigned to a 1-year deal last offseason:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=874737

The most positive comments in the thread after he resigned basically boil down to "I don't HATE this". The negative comments all boil down to a variety of creative ways to say "this guy sucks and I hate being an Islanders fan".

This is the guy demanding $4.5 million/5 years? Players regress (sup Grabner) and PAP is one year removed from being the most DESPISED player on the Islander roster (DP not counting because when is he ever healthy enough to be on the roster?)

IMO, a large part of PAP's surge is Tavares became a better player. It's a privilege to play on JT's wing, same as it's a privilege to play on Crosby's wing, Stamkos' wing, Gretzky's wing, etc. Moulson seems to understand this - he took a Snow value contract and put up a career high in goals - Tavares' improvement helped there as well.

Goodbye and good riddance Pierre-Alexander. Whoever it is that inherits your spot on the 1st line - Okposo, Grabner, Strome, a UFA - they'll get to reap the rewards of playing alongside an elite centerman. And buyer beware with whatever foolish general manager decides to dole out the 5-year deal for Parenteau - let's see how slick his playmaking is when he's setting up Tomas Plekanec or Stephen Weiss.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:33 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Do you have a source about those offers? The only place I read about a 3rd was here by 1 poster. The 1st and 2nd stuff I have seen was speculation by fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
who knows what they were actually offered but I had read that it was actually 3rds or at best very late 2nds.. IMO at the time I thought t was worth the gamble and the remainder of the season if it was anything less than a 1st or very high #2 .. not going to second guess now..
As I said "who knows", my apologies if you thought I was trying to assert it as hard fact. It is all speculation when it comes to what was negotiated or offered behind closed doors. You may be right that I may have been recalling a poster's comments, I don't recall exactly where I read that two months later. I just recall thinking going into the deadline that I want to keep him unless we get something material that will move the needle for this teams future.

Are we really going to roast Snow for passing up the chance to get a 2nd rounder (hypothetically) at a time when we still had some slight hope of playoffs and a chance to resign him??? If i knew for sure it was a first I might have thought differently.

BTW. what I did find was that according to Staple's 2/27 article in Newsday (don't think i can post since it is account sensitive) Isles wanted a first and a prospect and didn't even get the first... even that is debatable since we don't know if what they told Staple was factual and no way to verify it with 100% certainty, but that is the best source i can find for what happened. Maybe they were offered a first, if they were, then my opinion would change but I won't second guess if they were offered anything less and don't think this particular non-move was a bad one by Snow

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:09 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
My opinion is I couldn't be happier to see Parenteau go and never wear an Islanders sweater again. He improved this year, but we forget just how much of a whipping boy he was for us in 2010-11. I don't want to bump the old thread, but here's what this community thought when PAP was resigned to a 1-year deal last offseason:

The most positive comments in the thread after he resigned basically boil down to "I don't HATE this". The negative comments all boil down to a variety of creative ways to say "this guy sucks and I hate being an Islanders fan".

This is the guy demanding $4.5 million/5 years? Players regress (sup Grabner) and PAP is one year removed from being the most DESPISED player on the Islander roster (DP not counting because when is he ever healthy enough to be on the roster?)

IMO, a large part of PAP's surge is Tavares became a better player. It's a privilege to play on JT's wing, same as it's a privilege to play on Crosby's wing, Stamkos' wing, Gretzky's wing, etc. Moulson seems to understand this - he took a Snow value contract and put up a career high in goals - Tavares' improvement helped there as well.

Goodbye and good riddance Pierre-Alexander. Whoever it is that inherits your spot on the 1st line - Okposo, Grabner, Strome, a UFA - they'll get to reap the rewards of playing alongside an elite centerman. And buyer beware with whatever foolish general manager decides to dole out the 5-year deal for Parenteau - let's see how slick his playmaking is when he's setting up Tomas Plekanec or Stephen Weiss.
-First of all Tavares NOT Crosby, or Gretzky. Let's be realistic. Yes Tavares is awesome-but he's no where near the same level as those two (especially Gretzky). Stamkos also doesn't really make him linemates that much better, but hey that's not really the purpose of your post.

-Of course playing with JT fudged his numbers (as they do for Moulson's as well)-but that doesn't mean he's not a legit top-6 forward. And for a team is desperate need of them-the Isles should be cattering PAP right now.

-What fans may have earlier is irrelevent (for the record-I've never been a PAP hater-nobody can find a post where I said I didn't want him on the team). Are you going to suggest that what fans want is what the GMs should follow? Of course not-GMs are (supposed to be) experts.

-We don't know how much PAP is demanding, or what he'll eventually sign for. It's all speculation.

edit: Lastly, this team is going to be worse without PAP. Let's face it unless we sign a top-6 UFA (LOL like that will ever happen), there's nobody to take it over.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:36 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-First of all Tavares NOT Crosby, or Gretzky. Let's be realistic. Yes Tavares is awesome-but he's no where near the same level as those two (especially Gretzky). Stamkos also doesn't really make him linemates that much better, but hey that's not really the purpose of your post.

-Of course playing with JT fudged his numbers (as they do for Moulson's as well)-but that doesn't mean he's not a legit top-6 forward. And for a team is desperate need of them-the Isles should be cattering PAP right now.

-What fans may have earlier is irrelevent (for the record-I've never been a PAP hater-nobody can find a post where I said I didn't want him on the team). Are you going to suggest that what fans want is what the GMs should follow? Of course not-GMs are (supposed to be) experts.

-We don't know how much PAP is demanding, or what he'll eventually sign for. It's all speculation.

edit: Lastly, this team is going to be worse without PAP. Let's face it unless we sign a top-6 UFA (LOL like that will ever happen), there's nobody to take it over.
Of course Tavares isn't Gretzky, but I'd consider Tavares a top-5 center in the league right now, with Malkin, Stamkos, Henrik, and Giroux (Crosby doesn't make the list because he's too injury-prone). It's not surprising when guys like Scott Hartnell and James Neal have breakout seasons - they're good players made much, much better by their center. Tavares has the same effect.

PAP is only a top-6 forward because he was handed that role seemingly the second he was signed from the Rangers AHL affiliate. After enough games, he developed chemistry with Tavares. He's still a professional hockey player in the top league in the world, I'm not surprised after 100+ games on the wing of an elite player, he finally started racking up the points.

The whole "fans know nothing, GMs shouldn't listen to the fans" argument is also misguided. This board knew Bruno Gervais sucked. We knew Tomas Pock sucked. Part of being a human being is the ability to look at something bad and go "this sucks". Keeping up with the Kardashians sucks, even if E! executives, who make more money than me and have the power to keep in on air, try to convince me otherwise. Hfboards was damn near unanimous last year that PAP sucked, and quite frankly, they were correct.

I say this team will be much, much worse signing PAP long-term than letting him walk. Especially if we end up drafting a forward at 4th overall. Whoever spends the majority of the season on the 1st line with Tavares and Moulson will have a career year in points. Remember how Okposo suddenly got better once he made his way to the 1st line? In a rebuild, especially a rebuild with an owner who likes to spend as little money as possible, you need to be fiscally responsible. Every year, more and more of those coveted prospects we've been keeping in the cabinet are starting to trickle into Bridgeport, which in turn means they're one call-up away from NHL ice. You rebuild with these prospects, not by giving PAP an albatross contract because he had a career year.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Of course Tavares isn't Gretzky, but I'd consider Tavares a top-5 center in the league right now, with Malkin, Stamkos, Henrik, and Giroux (Crosby doesn't make the list because he's too injury-prone). It's not surprising when guys like Scott Hartnell and James Neal have breakout seasons - they're good players made much, much better by their center. Tavares has the same effect.

PAP is only a top-6 forward because he was handed that role seemingly the second he was signed from the Rangers AHL affiliate. After enough games, he developed chemistry with Tavares. He's still a professional hockey player in the top league in the world, I'm not surprised after 100+ games on the wing of an elite player, he finally started racking up the points.

The whole "fans know nothing, GMs shouldn't listen to the fans" argument is also misguided. This board knew Bruno Gervais sucked. We knew Tomas Pock sucked. Part of being a human being is the ability to look at something bad and go "this sucks". Keeping up with the Kardashians sucks, even if E! executives, who make more money than me and have the power to keep in on air, try to convince me otherwise. Hfboards was damn near unanimous last year that PAP sucked, and quite frankly, they were correct.

I say this team will be much, much worse signing PAP long-term than letting him walk. Especially if we end up drafting a forward at 4th overall. Whoever spends the majority of the season on the 1st line with Tavares and Moulson will have a career year in points. Remember how Okposo suddenly got better once he made his way to the 1st line? In a rebuild, especially a rebuild with an owner who likes to spend as little money as possible, you need to be fiscally responsible. Every year, more and more of those coveted prospects we've been keeping in the cabinet are starting to trickle into Bridgeport, which in turn means they're one call-up away from NHL ice. You rebuild with these prospects, not by giving PAP an albatross contract because he had a career year.
-I didn't think PAP sucked last year-he did what we signed him for. As you said he was an AHL player-did anybody really think he sucked by putting up 50+ points? Talk about screwy expectations.

-Of course PAP benefitted from playing JT (I clearly said his numbers were fudged). But to suggest that that means we shouldn't bother resiging and he can be replaced easily-I ask this: why? PAP obviously plays well with Tavares, why risk that (and let's say we move KO to the 1st line-who takes his spot on the 2nd line?). The Isles have TONS of cap space. There's no reason why the Isles should leave a glaring hole in their top-6, and not be able to replace it.

-A lot of prospects =/= success. Everybody here overrates them because a) we weren't used to having them before, and b) every fan on every team overrates their prospects. It's because you know more about them-and don't know other team's prospect pool (at least not as well).

Old
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-I didn't think PAP sucked last year-he did what we signed him for. As you said he was an AHL player-did anybody really think he sucked by putting up 50+ points? Talk about screwy expectations.

-Of course PAP benefitted from playing JT (I clearly said his numbers were fudged). But to suggest that that means we shouldn't bother resiging and he can be replaced easily-I ask this: why? PAP obviously plays well with Tavares, why risk that (and let's say we move KO to the 1st line-who takes his spot on the 2nd line?). The Isles have TONS of cap space. There's no reason why the Isles should leave a glaring hole in their top-6, and not be able to replace it.

-A lot of prospects =/= success. Everybody here overrates them because a) we weren't used to having them before, and b) every fan on every team overrates their prospects. It's because you know more about them-and don't know other team's prospect pool (at least not as well).
PA did well last season, better than many of us thought he could. He is not an AHL player. I just read through the last two pages and it looks like people are just whipping players because of their general frustration with the organization. They should try to think instead that perhaps the players are just as frustrated with the lack of support from upper management and give the guys a break.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I admit I would have liked Snow to move the guy if they were not going to resign PAP. However, if I am Snow and I was able to lock up Nabby I would assume I could lock up PAP for a decent price tag.
Put yourself in PAP's shoes.

Now tell us honestly why you would resign with the NYI before testing the free agent market. Why?

Be real honest.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 06-17-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
I dont see PAP for a 3rd. last year we send a 4th for Enrhoff, clearly better player than PAP.
Uhhhh, you gotta be kidding. We didn't trade for Erhoff, but for his rights two days before he became a UFA.

That's obviously a MEGA-huge difference to getting a player under contract.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Parenteau made the NHL at 27 yrs old.

I guess he just found the heart on the sleeve style, that KO and Grabner lack?
At this point, he's simply better than those two.

Gawwwwwwd I hope we don't have to wait until they're 27 to start doing what PAP's done.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Just tossing around ideas. Really don't know if this would work at all, but how about putting Ullstrom with JT and Moulson? Ullstrom has some grit to his game, he's a big body and he can put the puck in a the net as well.
We all doubt 98% that this is going to happen.

You don't do that to a kid like Ullstrom, much less to the rest of the team.

Chances are very high right now that Okposo is starting the season on the JT line.

This only changes if PAP is resigned or another top liner is brought in from the outside.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:31 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
At this point, he's simply better than those two.

Gawwwwwwd I hope we don't have to wait until they're 27 to start doing what PAP's done.
The difference is P.A. is playing for a contract and trying to make a name for himself in this league. Okposo and others were brought in young, practically guaranteed spots in the lineup, and given comforting, lengthy, deals despite whether they earned it or not.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:03 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
The difference is P.A. is playing for a contract and trying to make a name for himself in this league. Okposo and others were brought in young, practically guaranteed spots in the lineup, and given comforting, lengthy, deals despite whether they earned it or not.
Spot on.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:13 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:

Now tell us honestly why you would resign with the NYI before testing the free agent market. Why?

Be real honest.
This. Not only would I test free agency-but the Isles would have to pay more than 90% of the teams in the league. That's just the way it is. We don't even know where the isles will playing in 4-5 years.

They didn't "give" him any chances-he earned it. They paid him to do a job-he did to the best of his ability, and he's free (and should) explore all of his options. I laugh when fans of teams get upset about this-but I guarantee you the overwhelming majority of them would leave their place of work for a big raise in a heartbeat.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
And do we think that Snow is actually going to be bringing in another 65 point guy who compliments JT as well from outside the organization?

If yes, then no problem seeing PAP.

If no, then it's simply mismanagement. It's a severe decrease in the roster effectiveness, one which actually needed to be increased upon even WITH PAP.

And I'm tipping on the latter happening.

Old
06-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:

Be real honest.
I don't know the numbers but if I'm PAP and am getting a competitive offer from the Isles (don't know the numbers, again) I know that I'm getting top 6 minutes and top unit PP time with a team that you've been with and like for two years.

I've come to believe that the Isles are offering the money, but not the term. They have Okposo signed on for 4 more years and Kabanov and Strome coming along for the right side (I think Strome will be a winger by JT) and don't want to commit too long to PAP.

They could be offering 2 years for 10 million but he wants and would take something like 16 million over 4 years and knows on the open market he'd get 20 million for 4 years.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I don't know the numbers but if I'm PAP and am getting a competitive offer from the Isles (don't know the numbers, again) I know that I'm getting top 6 minutes and top unit PP time with a team that you've been with and like for two years.

I've come to believe that the Isles are offering the money, but not the term. They have Okposo signed on for 4 more years and Kabanov and Strome coming along for the right side (I think Strome will be a winger by JT) and don't want to commit too long to PAP.

They could be offering 2 years for 10 million but he wants and would take something like 16 million over 4 years and knows on the open market he'd get 20 million for 4 years.
So you wouldn't even see what's on the UFA market for you before resigning with the Isles if you were Parenteau???

As for the Isles, I can understand why they wouldn't be ready to pay any price for him.

Gonna be hard to get those 65 points from someone else though.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:20 PM
JKP

Quote:
Bingo. You've nailed it with this paragraph. Why there's so many pages on this topic baffles me...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:35 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:

I agree, his size issue was part of a bigger general problem with the roster, but at the same time Snow should have leveraged PA's contract year for something other than nothing. Think about this - Ottawa pretty much hated Yashin in the end, but there was no way they would just cut him. He still had value and they managed to leverage a good young defenseman and Spezza for him. Now I don't expect anything like that for PA with his one good year and all his faults, but a second, particularly with the way we have drafted under Snow? Yes, the asset has been wasted.

My ultimate fear is we sign him back, believe it or not, if he doesn't get even our price July 1st.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
So you wouldn't even see what's on the UFA market for you before resigning with the Isles if you were Parenteau???

As for the Isles, I can understand why they wouldn't be ready to pay any price for him.

Not really. He even cited Leino's troubles as a reason for signing with the Islanders. He is comfortable here with guaranteed oppurtunity, at least in the short term. Getting paid and keeping his comfort level is all he may want but if he isn't getting the first over a period of time, he's going to have to test the market.

Look at Moulson. He had a 30 goal season and was on his way to his second straight and he re-signed for 3 years at 9.4 million, an absolute steal. He didn't want to test the market. Why? He knew where his best oppurtunity was and he loves it here. He apparently got a deal he was good with. Parenteau hasn't.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:

I am pretty sure I posted some negative comments about PAP but he proved me wrong this past season. The fact that he continued to score and play hard on whatever line he was on is more then I needed to see that he belongs with the Islanders.

Ofcourse that didnt happen and now we will see him leave. Will he be like Jason Blake and completely decline or will he continue we wont know but I do believe he deserved to get paid and I hope the Isles still retain him.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:56 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

they'll come from the ever thought process that nyis cherished prospects will improve.

Really, 50 points from a true two way player would more than make up for PAP.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
they'll come from the ever thought process that nyis cherished prospects will improve.

Really, 50 points from a true two way player would more than make up for PAP.
Okposo can take those points, or close to it since he will be JT's new right winger. We need someone to take Okposo's spot though and then Bailey's third line center spot since Bailey is moving over.

Old
06-17-2012, 06:30 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Okposo can take those points, or close to it since he will be JT's new right winger. We need someone to take Okposo's spot though and then Bailey's third line center spot since Bailey is moving over.
Moulson--JT--ko
Grabner--Nielsen--Kabanov
Ullstrom--Cizikas--Bailey
Joensuu--Reasoner--Martin

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:35 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Actually the biggest difference is Parenteau was unable to stick and produce at the nhl level, until he was 26/27 yrs old.

He's played for Chicago,NYR and NYI.

Please don't try and spin it that he was never bought to training camp,never given a call up from the AHL

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote