HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau NOT Retained, Signed with Avs

Old
06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Moulson--JT--ko
Grabner--Nielsen--Kabanov
Ullstrom--Cizikas--Bailey
Joensuu--Reasoner--Martin

That line just solidified our 2013 NHL draft lottery team.

See ya at the Draft party.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
...let's see how slick his playmaking is when he's setting up Tomas Plekanec or Stephen Weiss.
What about Ovechkin and Backstrom? I am thinking he might be an ideal 3rd guy on that line to help Ovechkin get back to something approaching his best and to also help bring out some more of Backstrom's underrated goal scoring ability.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Moulson--JT--ko
Grabner--Nielsen--Kabanov
Ullstrom--Cizikas--Bailey
Joensuu--Reasoner--Martin

"With the first pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft, the New York Islanders select..."

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
What about Ovechkin and Backstrom? I am thinking he might be an ideal 3rd guy on that line to help Ovechkin get back to something approaching his best and to also help bring out some more of Backstrom's underrated goal scoring ability.
P.A. would put up 70 assists playing on Ovechkin's line

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
"With the first pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft, the New York Islanders select..."
Nathan MacKinnon! Which would be awesome!

But I don't want to lose to get that first pick.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:16 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Put yourself in PAP's shoes.

Now tell us honestly why you would resign with the NYI before testing the free agent market. Why?

Be real honest.
I mentioned this earlier and i'll say it again. Yes, there is a real reason why PAP would have signed here. He's solidified a spot on a top line with JT and putting up points. So what I said earlier is he has a decision to make. Does he want to shoot for a big payday and take a chance that he will play second line minutes and not put up as many points, or does he want to stay in a spot where he is successful and keep producing. I referred to it as the same situation as Jason Blake...

In the end most of the time the player has to believe in their skill and believe they can produce the same anywhere so yes it is most likely they will choose to test FA. However, it's definitely not a far fetched idea to think he would want to sign here.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:52 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I mentioned this earlier and i'll say it again. Yes, there is a real reason why PAP would have signed here. He's solidified a spot on a top line with JT and putting up points. So what I said earlier is he has a decision to make. Does he want to shoot for a big payday and take a chance that he will play second line minutes and not put up as many points, or does he want to stay in a spot where he is successful and keep producing. I referred to it as the same situation as Jason Blake...

In the end most of the time the player has to believe in their skill and believe they can produce the same anywhere so yes it is most likely they will choose to test FA. However, it's definitely not a far fetched idea to think he would want to sign here.
Let's be honest: it all comes down to the money. Sure if the money is the same (or very close) players will decide on the team they'd like to play for more. But it's these players careers-and who can blame them for going for the money? I know I would. The Islanders biggest hurdle is that making $5million per year is very different in NY than it is in most states (due to taxes, cost of living, etc). You guys get taxed to death on LI.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Not really. He even cited Leino's troubles as a reason for signing with the Islanders. He is comfortable here with guaranteed oppurtunity, at least in the short term. Getting paid and keeping his comfort level is all he may want but if he isn't getting the first over a period of time, he's going to have to test the market.

Look at Moulson. He had a 30 goal season and was on his way to his second straight and he re-signed for 3 years at 9.4 million, an absolute steal. He didn't want to test the market. Why? He knew where his best oppurtunity was and he loves it here. He apparently got a deal he was good with. Parenteau hasn't.
You make some good points.

Ashame Snow couldn't talk him and his agent into seeing it this way by the trade deadline.

The statements he made about not negotiating during the season and then with respect to there being a bit of a gap in the contractual expectations at this point are clear indicators that he and his agent have long since decided to test the UFA market before doing anything with the Isles.

And this is smart. I sure as heck would do it without thinking twice.

In arguably his last opportunity to be in the show, he's had two decent seasons with considerable improvement in between. I think anyone watching closely also sees that he's not just scoring because of Tavares. He was able to put up more points than most when he was off the JT line as well. He has a skillset that can allow him to produce just about anywhere in a complimentary role. He's not the go-to guy, but there are plenty of topflight players out there who could use a set-up partner like PAP.

And with 29 other addresses in the league and some owners that throw money around with reckless abondon, he owes it to himself and his (future) family to cash in - regardless of whether his personal point-collecting success and safe role with the Isles is offered up in the process.

I for one think he could do some big damage with a Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago or even Montreal.

I just wish Snow had been realistic and recognized this last February as well. He was our biggest trading chip at the deadline in what was clearly a playoffless season (and our Isles **** the bed in the ten games leading up to the deadline to prove it!) and now he's likely walking away for nothing.

It should a real bad taste in the mouths of all fans.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I have to think that one way or another, Parenteau is going to be offered a deal where he gets (considerably) more money and tenure than the Isles are ultimately willing to offer him. There's just been too much proof of that in recent years. That may come from a team that wins and has some star quality players with whom PAP could likely gel.

Even if he ultimately sees things like you write above, you simply can't resign until you've at least seen what options are out there.

It would be foolish.

And now he's going to see which options are out there.

When you're in line for what may be the biggest payday of your life, giving the hometown break to a bottom-feeder just becuase you like some of the ramifications and appreciate the opportunity you got can't be a primary criteria in this decision-making process.

And now it likely won't be.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...e-agent-waters

06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
periferal

From *********** on Twitter who's quite reliable...

"One source tells me Parenteau and the Islanders were close on money, but couldn't agree on term. Parenteau wanted a longer deal."

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

"One source tells me Parenteau and the Islanders were close on money, but couldn't agree on term. Parenteau wanted a longer deal."

My opinion on this will depend on just how long he was looking for. P.A. is coming off one decent career season. If he was looking for any more than a 3 year deal, he was kidding himself.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

That's frustrating to hear because once PA gets to the ufa market,some desperate team will give him the long term deal he wants.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
periferal

Quote:

Anyone know why when I typed who the Tweet came from it got blocked out as "**********"?

You're not allowed to post sources from Twitter on HFBoards?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:08 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
That's frustrating to hear because once PA gets to the ufa market,some desperate team will give him the long term deal he wants.

but not necessarily one he deserves, or for that matter, will actually live up to.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
CDirt

This isn't a huge shock. Never thought he was signing here at the deadline. Knew this was coming.

I think his numbers this season in a FA year tends to scare some people off offering him a long term deal. Then again, this league is funny. If Jason Blake can command the deal he got a few seasons ago it wouldn't surprise me to see someone overpay for PA.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Anyone know why when I typed who the Tweet came from it got blocked out as "**********"?

Because it's not a legit source. I think your trying to quote Hockey Break, who is a fraud.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:

Whomever you're quoting is not a valid source therefore you see the *'s.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:21 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***************** View Post
Whomever you're quoting is not a valid source therefore you see the *'s.
Does HF set a list on the filter? That's cool.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:51 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I have to think that one way or another, Parenteau is going to be offered a deal where he gets (considerably) more money and tenure than the Isles are ultimately willing to offer him. There's just been too much proof of that in recent years. That may come from a team that wins and has some star quality players with whom PAP could likely gel.

Even if he ultimately sees things like you write above, you simply can't resign until you've at least seen what options are out there.

It would be foolish.

And now he's going to see which options are out there.

When you're in line for what may be the biggest payday of your life, giving the hometown break to a bottom-feeder just becuase you like some of the ramifications and appreciate the opportunity you got can't be a primary criteria in this decision-making process.

And now it likely won't be.
Uggh, you guys are totally missing the point. PA's career is not going to be 5 years and then he retires. The reason I am saying he is taking the Isles into consideration is because he could continue to produce here and continue to get paid. If he goes and signs a 4 year contract somewhere else for 20 million, and can't produce because he gets less responsibility or doesn't have a JT to make him look good, his next payday after 4 years is going to be crap. I agree he is likely going to test FA, but I'm also saying he is going to give strong consideration to the Islanders. People saying it's all about the money aren't looking at the big picture. Absolutely right it's all about the money but I can't paint a picture anymore clearer than this:

4 years, 20 million from another team and he doesn't gel
1 million a year for the rest of his nhl career 4 or 5 more years?

or

4 years, 16 million from the Isles... continues to produce
signed for another 4 years maybe at the same or higher.

Both situations have their plus and minuses and a guys career can get cut short at any second, but still, the second scenario pays off more long term and he will consider that.l

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Uggh, you guys are totally missing the point. PA's career is not going to be 5 years and then he retires. The reason I am saying he is taking the Isles into consideration is because he could continue to produce here and continue to get paid. If he goes and signs a 4 year contract somewhere else for 20 million, and can't produce because he gets less responsibility or doesn't have a JT to make him look good, his next payday after 4 years is going to be crap.
Quote:

or

I understand what you're getting at, but he can't afford to think of what comes in four years' time. He can cross that bridge when he gets to it.

Heck, for all he knows, he could have a career-ending injury at some point.

He's thinking solely about the here and now - as any realist should in his situation.

I know some folks think the players do or should analyze their situation with the thought "Well, I work well together with these two guys. Do I really want to risk never finding that chemistry elsewhere?", but they don't, not when it comes to anything from a 500K to 2 million USD more per season and with the added insurance of a certain amount of years to top it off. They may also throw in thoughts about whether they can ever win with the current team. Those thoughts are VERY legitimate in NYI's case.

Parenteau will be no exception.

I still think there's an outside chance he'll be signed by NYI, but not until he knows what else is out there for him. My bet is that he finds either more money or more years or both with a team that 'intentionally' competes.

What happens to his on-ice success after that is unknown.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 06-21-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Uggh, you guys are totally missing the point. PA's career is not going to be 5 years and then he retires. The reason I am saying he is taking the Isles into consideration is because he could continue to produce here and continue to get paid. If he goes and signs a 4 year contract somewhere else for 20 million, and can't produce because he gets less responsibility or doesn't have a JT to make him look good, his next payday after 4 years is going to be crap. I agree he is likely going to test FA, but I'm also saying he is going to give strong consideration to the Islanders. People saying it's all about the money aren't looking at the big picture. Absolutely right it's all about the money but I can't paint a picture anymore clearer than this:

or

Both situations have their plus and minuses and a guys career can get cut short at any second, but still, the second scenario pays off more long term and he will consider that.l
Your whole argument is based on the assumptions that:

1-Parenteau will play until his late 30's.
2-Parenteau will always be on Tavares' wing his entire career.

Both of those are weak assumptions, IMO, and likely Parenteau realizes it as well.

First, Parenteau is 29 years old. If he's looking for a long-term deal (4 or 5 years), that will take him to his 33rd or 34th birthday when the deal is over. Realistically speaking, that could very well be when his career is winding down. A lot of "average" players tend to retire once they hit their early to mid thirties. So it would be a bit foolish of Parenteau to take less money now, and hope that he's still capable of playing at age 34 to earn one more big payday. He's going to maximize his salary during the prime years of his career, when he knows with certainty he can still play in the league.

Second, your entire argument seems to assume that Parenteau will continue to be Tavares' winger. What if Strome's ready for that role in a year's time? What if Nino is? What if they decide Okposo is a good fit for that line? Parenteau signing long term with the Islanders -- at a discount -- on the assumption he will put up points playing next to Tavares every season could end up biting him in the ass. What if he signed long term, for less money, with the Islanders, then a year down the road he's on the second line? Won't that hurt his next contract, too? Because the only way he's earning a BIG pay day again, is if he spends his entire career on JT's wing.

It might be different if Parenteau wasn't already 29 years old. If he was 25, 26, or maybe 27, then maybe he could afford the luxury of signing a 3-year deal with the Isles, hope to play with Tavares during that time and put up numbers, and still be young at the end of the deal to sign a new deal. But when he's pushing 30 and hasn't yet had a big pay day, I think it's an entirely different story. For all Parenteau knows, this could be his last contract. Why take less money on the assumption he's got more in the tank 4 or 5 years down the road?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:

or

I think PA knows this is first/last chance at his big payday. This may be his final contract. Whos to say he is going to continue to play after this contract is up 4 or 5 years down the line? He will be around 34 yrs old. No spring chicken.

STK, didnt read your post before I posted but i totally agree with you. Spot on.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I think PA knows this is first/last chance at his big payday. This may be his final contract. Whos to say he is going to continue to play after this contract is up 4 or 5 years down the line? He will be around 34 yrs old. No spring chicken.

STK, didnt read your post before I posted but i totally agree with you. Spot on.
Honestly though if the Isles don't pay PA than who are we going to sign to reach cap floor. Why not give the guy who has performed well with this team a 4 year contract. P.A JT Moulson. If we get another stud 1st liner then P.A JT +. He fits well here to pay the man its not like its a super sized contract either.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
The KGBeast

I hate this.

Konopka loved playing here last season. He wasn't retained.

Parenteau, by all accounts, has also loved playing here. Seems he won't be retained either.

We have a hard enough time convincing players to sign here without letting the ones who do play here and like it here go. I don't know what the plan is.

The KGBeast is offline   Reply With Quote