HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's been another long off-season.... What are your lines for next year?

Old
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
If we become a predominantly puck possession, Detroit style, offense I can see some value to moving Eberle to left wing but as long as we are creating most of our even strength offense off the rush, he should stay on the right side.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Perfect_Drug

vCash: 500
I could be wrong, but I often see Yak coming in on the left. He's such a dynamic shifty left-right player that he catches EVERYONE flat footed.

If anything his offensive breakouts don't really have a wing, he seems to exploit the weaker/slower side, but his Defensive assignment would likely need a wing assignment.

I think he would fit well with on the off-wing of Hall, who doen't necessarily have a 'track', but more like a 'guideline'. Those 2 criss-crossing at blistering speed would confuse the **** out of everyone.

We should somehow get those 2 together. Hemsky can play with Horc n Smyth on the 'washed up' line.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I'm curious about two things

First why does Ales Hemsky HAVE to be in the top-6 and HAVE to stay on the right side?

Second, why would it be bad for Hall and Yakupov to playoff opposite wings to eachother?

They both have ridiculous speed and motors that don't quit, seriously, how do you contain two players with that much speed and skill?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:36 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

First why does Ales Hemsky HAVE to be in the top-6 and HAVE to stay on the right side?

Second, why would it be bad for Hall and Yakupov to playoff opposite wings to eachother?

They both have ridiculous speed and motors that don't quit, seriously, how do you contain two players with that much speed and skill?
Hemsky has to be in the top six because he is one of the best forwards on this team. It would be a waste to play him on the third line.

I like the idea of Hall and Yakupov playing on a line together though. I'm thinking...

Hemsky - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

If we move Hemsky, for some help on D, I would love to see a line of Hall-Gagner-Yakupov. With so much speed on the wings, Gagner would have a lot more time, offsetting his own lack of speed.

If we have Hemsky on the team it is a huge waste of his playmaking ability to be on a line with Horcoff and Smyth. To be precise I think you get more points out of:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov

Than you do out of:

Hart/MPS-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov

unless Hartikainen or Paajarvi take a significant step forward at camp.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Hemsky has to be in the top six because he is one of the best forwards on this team. It would be a waste to play him on the third line.

I like the idea of Hall and Yakupov playing on a line together though. I'm thinking...

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
If they don't add anyone, I agree, but add anyone half decent who can play the left side, Ales is on the 3rd line.

Yeah, those are he lines I've had in mind for a while. Nothing's ever set in stone, and they still need to have a camp, but I like the look of that group if no one is added.

I know Gagner doesn't have the speed to keep up, but he has the smarts to make good passes to guys in the right spot.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
If they don't add anyone, I agree, but add anyone half decent who can play the left side, Ales is on the 3rd line.

Yeah, those are he lines I've had in mind for a while. Nothing's ever set in stone, and they still need to have a camp, but I like the look of that group if no one is added.

I know Gagner doesn't have the speed to keep up, but he has the smarts to make good passes to guys in the right spot.
LOL Gagner would probably never touch the puck except for the split second that it touches his stick on a faceoff. Hall and Yak would play keep away all day.

Hall - Gagner - Yak
Paajarvi - RNH - Eberle

In the one half of a game where Paajarvi got to play with RNH anf Ebs he looked really good and they were consistantly controlling the puck and creating scoring chances.

Eager - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth -Belanger - Petrell/Jones

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
LOL Gagner would probably never touch the puck except for the split second that it touches his stick on a faceoff. Hall and Yak would play keep away all day.

Hall - Gagner - Yak
Paajarvi - RNH - Eberle

In the one half of a game where Paajarvi got to play with RNH anf Ebs he looked really good and they were consistantly controlling the puck and creating scoring chances.

Eager - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth -Belanger - Petrell/Jones
I would say it depends on what PRV brings to camp, but I could see it. And I agree on Gagner, but that's fine, he's smart enough to keep it simple.

I really like those lines actually.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov

I think Hall needs to be on the top-6 line that runs power on power, and i don't think throwing a rookie into that would make sense. Hemsky can also fit this role, and they have some chemistry.

I think the most natural combination of these players is:

Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
I think Hall needs to be on the top-6 line that runs power on power, and i don't think throwing a rookie into that would make sense. Hemsky can also fit this role, and they have some chemistry.

I think the most natural combination of these players is:

Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Yeah, moving Eberle off his natural position is the "natural" thing to do.

One of those 4 wingers isn't in the long term plans, so maybe you move him out of position?

Old
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Yeah, moving Eberle off his natural position is the "natural" thing to do.

One of those 4 wingers isn't in the long term plans, so maybe you move him out of position?
Have you not been watching him play? He's a 'natural to play anywhere on the ice with his vision, skill, style of play, etc. You must have noticed he's scored quite a few goals from the left side?

Personally, I think those are the best lines we can make, barring a trade of some sort for another top 6 player. Eberle is comfortable on the left, the rest are in their natural positions and Yak sets up for the one timer from RNH...Looks good.

Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Matter View Post
Have you not been watching him play? He's a 'natural to play anywhere on the ice with his vision, skill, style of play, etc. You must have noticed he's scored quite a few goals from the left side?
Jordan Eberle is a Right Winger, he played Right Wing last year, when he was the BEST FORWARD ON THE TEAM

You don't move him.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Jordan Eberle is a Right Winger, he played Right Wing last year, when he was the BEST FORWARD ON THE TEAM

You don't move him.
We could always try moving Hall to center

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
We could always try moving Hall to center
, only if it's not the "only option"

Single point of failure tend to....yeah.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:39 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
(other) Lines I would like;

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi
Eager-Belanger-Lander

possibly switching hemmer/pj/hart-o/pitts...

whitters-petes-mcgeets
smid-j-shutters
sutt(0)-Nickyninedoorfacematch

scraptastic
bakiotomyvodka

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
lakai17

Quote:

Hemsky should be on the top six with that contract and experience but at the same time the old trio of Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky work, it may be the most expensive third in the NHL but they have history together.

second of all we need Hall and Yakupov both backchecking, they are very identical but at the same time playing on seperate lines can push eachother to let Edmonton roll with two #1 lines. I also feel Yakupov will become a first liner but like over half the Oil fans, I want to see him try center.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM
lakai17

Throw an offer sheet at Ryan O'Reilly!!!
Trade Gagner + (Whitney? or who?) for Yandle

Hall-RNH-Ebs
XX-O'Reilly-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Jones/Hordichuk

Smid-Petry
Yandle-J.Shultz
N.Shultz-Sutton/Peckham

xx- Paajarvi/Hartikainen/???

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:

For your first point, no argument here.

For your 2nd, the reason against is, for both players to be at their most effective they need to be rushing the puck.
I think Hall and Ebs play well together, and I think Nuge and Yakupov. (Yaks can cash in on those passes even more so than Eberle)

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:38 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov/Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov/Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Hordichuk-Belanger-Petrell
Eager

Smid-oh God please Tambo get another top-four defenceman
Whitney-Petry
NSchultz-JSchultz
Sutton/Potter

Dubnyk
Vodka man

PP1: Hall, RNH, Eberle, Smyth, JSchultz
PP2: Yakupov, Gagner, Hemsky, two of Petry/Whitney/topfourD

PK1: Horcoff, Petrell, Smid, NSchultz
PK2: Belanger, Jones, Petry, topfourD

1. That top six is softer than a butter sandwich dipped in gravy
2. Still don't like Gagner as 2C
3. It's looking like the "topfourD" is Corey Potter

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Ice Whole

I'd like to see

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Hemsky - Gagner - Yakupov

But the thing is I'd rather have a 1a, 1b line instead.

Hall - Gagner - Eberle - This line has done well. Gagner seems to play well when he is paired with Hall and Ebs. Might help out his game and if we plan to trade him, would help raise his trade value
Hemsky - RNH - Yakupov - RNH and Hemsky feeding Yakupov those one times would be a thing of beauty.

That IMO would be better for the team and if it doesn't work, switch it up. I love how this team has so many options up front now haha.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Duo 934 View Post
I'd like to see

Hall - RNH - Eberle

Hall - Gagner - Eberle - This line has done well. Gagner seems to play well when he is paired with Hall and Ebs. Might help out his game and if we plan to trade him, would help raise his trade value
Hemsky - RNH - Yakupov - RNH and Hemsky feeding Yakupov those one times would be a thing of beauty.

That IMO would be better for the team and if it doesn't work, switch it up. I love how this team has so many options up front now haha.
This is probably my ideal top 6 as well. The only possible change would be to sub in one of the younger LWs (Paajarvi or Hartikainen) for Hemsky, if they impress in training camp and/or Hemsky is uncomfortable on the left side. Then roll with a Smyth/Horcoff/Hemsky line, probably used to eat up minutes against tough competition. This would not be ideal for Hemsky's point production, I'm guessing, but if it's better for the team overall, so be it.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Jamin

Its unacceptable imo to have Yak and Hall on the same line. Hall is so fast and dangerous that he backs defenders off like a mad man. Whatever line he is on will have this effect, adding Yak does nothing. Yak from what ive heard is also fast. So why not put him on a seperate line from Hall.

That way both lines have a player with speed who backs players off. Its a good dimension to have and gives extra space for Gagner, RNH and Eberle who arent the fastest on the team

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Duo 934 View Post
I'd like to see

Hall - RNH - Eberle

I like these lines too. I'd love it if Paajarvii and Hartikainen could come in and take top-9 spots away from Smyth and Jones as well. If Magnus and Harski could step up their play to slide in on the 3rd line with Horcoff it could be like having a 3A and 3B.

3A - Hartikainen Horcoff Paajarvii
3B - Smyth Belanger Jones/Eager

Then when the next wave of young guys comes knocking that'll be when this team makes the playoffs. When good players are losing their jobs on this team or are stuck in OKC because competition for spots in the lineup is so fierce. I think competition this fall is going to be pretty exciting to watch too....just please no gd injuries to start the year off for once.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
hiphopyoassonhockey

Dam the Oilers one of my fav team is really scary. Just look at all that talent on the top 6 if Krueger can make them play like veterans they are sure to go in the playoffs

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hatrikainen
MPS-Belanger-Eager

Whitney-Petry
Smid-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Sutton

From what I've seen so far of the Oilers games I watched is that their talent makes no doubt but but a hockey team has to have different kind of talent. Right now the Oilers have a lot of finesse players but you also need some big strong guys who can go in the corners and take the puck away from the other team. I think Hemsky time in Edmonton is done with all the young talent emerging and I'm sure the Oilers could get something nice by trading him. A young player who plays the same way as Smyth is what I think is the last piece of the top 6.

On the other hand, people keep talking about the defensive squad of the Olers but you gotta admit it's not that bad. Whitney can produce between 30 and 50 points per year. I really like what I saw from Petry, Smid and Nick Schultz. If J. Schultz can support the offense while not hurting the team defensively the defensive squad is really good. In a couple of years we'll see emerging Klefbom, Musil, Teubert and possibly the first round pick of 2013 which is suppose to be one of the greatest.

hiphopyoassonhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Cam98

If paajarvi back in form like his rookie season, id like to see these.

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Paajarvi - Hopkins - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Jones - Belanger - Eager/Petrell/Hordichuk

still very weak top 6. i wish we never resigned smyth. we really need to get a big top 6 center and get rid of gagner. i just can't see a team like above compete, might make playoffs but with no big physical players on squad going to be another non playoff season but exciting one for sure with our young guns.

Cam98 is online now   Reply With Quote