HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Voynov.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
SLang

vCash: 500
Voynov.

My god, did he seem to regress as the Finals wore on. I hope it was due to injury, because it was not impressive.

Last night, he must have had, what, 5 giveaways? NJ was keying on him like crazy.

Was good to see Sutter maintain his faith in him, though. In the end I think that will speak volumes in this kid's long-term effectiveness. I'll humbly defer to the coach who helped bring us our first Stanley Cup.

I think he'll be strong next year!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

The experience was invaluable for him, and I'm sure he'll only get better as he gets a little older. People forget how young he is and that most defenseman don't really mature into their position for several years.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
By Russian rookie defenseman standards he looked like a rock. I think he was very nervy, but in the long run he'll be fine.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The experience was invaluable for him, and I'm sure he'll only get better as he gets a little older. People forget how young he is and that most defenseman don't really mature into their position for several years.
This is very true. Voynov will only get better and even if he did have trouble, it was never to the point where he was killing the team. A few bad plays that led to goals, but he never fell apart. Mitchell was a big help to him last night and if this is Voynov's worst year, I will take it.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
sueroe

Absolutely this kid will get better. Up until the last series he was solid. He is very young, and most kids his age aren't getting the kind of experience he just did in the Stanley cup finals. This is a long season, lots to battle through, but what a great education for him.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
niomosy

He should get better. This was great experience for him early in his career. That and he'll hopefully score more for our team, less for the other team

niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Take into consideration that this is the most amount of hockey Voynov got to play in a single season.

15 games with Manchester.
54 regular season games.
20 playoff games.

89 games is a lot of hockey, and mind you these guys have been training and preparing since last summer. Most likely he was just worn down by the Finals. In Russia they play half the amount of games of an NHL schedule and he didn't play more than 50 games a season till he got to Manchester. He'll get better with age and experience.

What's great is that he'll start next season as part of the regular lineup and spend training camp with his regular D partner as opposed to being rotated with various D partners.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Bandit

Less than 24 hours from winning the cup and we're already complaining? Voynov could have put on a harp seal cape before lifting the cup and I wouldn't give a **** about it right now...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Richie10

He was a rookie, European defensemen not used to the pace and style of a North American game at the highest of levels. I agree that he was our weakest defenseman, defensively, but that will come. If you remember the scouting report on Voynov, it was great skater, good offensive instincts, marginal size/strength, below average in his own end. Mark Morris and the Manchester staff really worked on his defensive game to the point that he could become a NHL regular, but he still has a way to go.

I still think that Alec Martinez may become our best two way defenseman behind Doughty, but time will tell. All I know is that Doughty, Martinez, and Voynov all have some serious wheels and it is a blessing that we have these kids as puck movers on the blueline. All we can hope for now is that Muzzin and Forbort eventually fill the shutdown roles of Mitchell and Scuderi.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:07 PM
HeadInjury

Voynov is clearly a waste of a high draft pick.

Sincerely,

Denis Grebeshkov

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

The criticism is overblown in my opinion. Voynov played well; he saved a TON of scoring chances. And I'm sure he has a hip injury.

And how about some love for AMart. ZERO goals against in the finals.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Less than 24 hours from winning the cup and we're already complaining? Voynov could have put on a harp seal cape before lifting the cup and I wouldn't give a **** about it right now...
I don't know if anybody is really complaining; I pointed this out a few games ago.

I totally agree with the poster above that said it was a good call for Sutter to stay with Voynov...this will be a tremendous boost for his confidence and ultimately assist in his development as defenseman.
I see great things for Voynov in the near future.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Harold Snepsts

I don't think Voynov regressed as much as the intensity picked up with each round. And New Jersey is a fast forechecking team. They more than any other team put the heat on the Kings defense.

He averaged 19+ minutes in the postseason, including being the #3 d-man on the PP. 1 goal, 2 assists.

For a 22 years old with half a season under his belt, that's not just okay, that's pretty friggin great.

I think you guys might be setting the bar a little high because of the other 22 year old on the Kings in Drew Doughty.

As someone who's also a Wings fan, we have a 25 year old in Kindl who's not really panning out and a 23 year old in Smith who looks promising but only has 14 NHL games under his belt. And if Smith finished a playoff run like Voynov, I'd be ecstatic.

Last edited by Harold Snepsts: 06-12-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
KingsFan7824

The Devils went right to him on every shift, and too many times Voynov ended up indecisive. A rookie on defense in his first NHL playoff action, and it's a year the team goes to the Finals. A nice party in Russia, and he'll be fine.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
DaAnimal

he was pretty solid if you ask me.

I think he was injured from the St Louis game? Maybe it was Phoenix?

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I don't know if anybody is really complaining; I pointed this out a few games ago.

I totally agree with the poster above that said it was a good call for Sutter to stay with Voynov...this will be a tremendous boost for his confidence and ultimately assist in his development as defenseman.
I see great things for Voynov in the near future.
Complaining, criticizing, whatever you want to cal lit. I'm just saying, everyone knows Voynov didn't have the greatest playoffs, but let's enjoy this for a while before we start looking at negatives.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

He's a rookie, for chrissakes!!!

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Great rookie campaign, and with some added muscle, kid should be beastly. Agree that he had a rougher time of it the last couple of games.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

He was easily the King who most reflected his nervousness. The turnovers showed it, he tried to do too much. I expect it won't be the same next time he's in a pressure time like that

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Voynov is clearly a waste of a high draft pick.

Sincerely,

Denis Grebeshkov
you win.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
He's gonna be a good one

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Duc620

We had three true rookies in Nolan, King, and Voynov and half a rookie in Martinez. They all played great. They didn't make any more mistakes than any of the vets. Hell, Quick gave Parise a game changing goal and he ended up winning MVP.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
redcard

Voynov now has absolutely nothing to be nervous about when he steps on the ice next season. He had a rough finals, but a great season and playoffs. The experience will be invaluable.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Shootmaster_44

At this point I don't care about how anyone played. The end result was what we wanted to happen, so if someone didn't play up to snuff that's ok. Just remember the Kings are the 2011-12 Stanley Cup Champions and no one can ever take that away from us!

I'll worry about Voynov's play once camp opens in September. Until that happens it is all about the party and savouring the win.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:29 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
Do it for DT

I think he was snakebit more than anything... The Devils scored 8 goals and two of them bounced in off of him. Dumb luck but it has to get into your mind at some point.

Pierre McGuire mentioned WM giving some encouragement at one point after a questionable play... with those two together for at least two more years VV is bound to be a legit Top 4 d-man on this time for some time to come.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote