HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Voynov.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Voynov got rattled at times, but to me the key thing is that it never made him fear making plays. Even after turnovers he wouldn't just slap the puck blindly and would try to skate it and make solid passes. He played absolutely fine for a kid in his situation.

A-mart... well honestly I thought this year Alex would be the odd man out eventually, but wow, am I an idiot. He showed every sign of turning into a big game player in this series, elevating his play when it mattered most. He was in beast mode last night, punishing hits, great position, and making confident plays. I thought he was our 2nd best defensmen after Drew. If you remember he was a bundle of nerves in pressure situations last year, but has he ever turned the corner.

If Voynov follows the same pattern, our D is going to be absolutely sick until the 2020's come around.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
bobafettish*

it wasn't just the finals he was pretty bad all PO but he's 21.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:37 PM
KingLB

Rookie defensemen in a top4 role...there is a reason teams usually pick up "vet dman" heading into the playoffs. Its because even slightly seasoned guys have trouble in the playoffs. Was VV excellent, no...but did you need him to be?? VV looked even worst because the Kings other defensemen were rocks...I mean what 7-8 goals against in a 6 game series?? 30 in 19 games?? Unheard of stats....because VV was "directly responsible" for 4-5 makes him seem the goat, when in reality lots of teams woulda loved his play.

How many cup teams have rookies playing top4 mins??

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Shellz

He had some difficult times.. but a lot of those times he would come back with a strong play. I can't be mad at him.. he's a rookie. He will learn and get better. Patience comes with age.

Even if the Kings lost for whatever reason, I still wouldn't blame him.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
Pierre McGuire mentioned WM giving some encouragement at one point after a questionable play... with those two together for at least two more years VV is bound to be a legit Top 4 d-man on this time for some time to come.
What you're actually referring to is where Mitchell told Voynov to not be goaded into taking a retaliatory penalty after Kovalchuck skated behind him and slashed the back of his leg.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
in my view the kid has gotten better and better every year. I saw him first hand when he first came to north america. yes he still makes mistakes both positionally and with the puck but hes 22 years old. Less then 80 games of NHL experience. He will be fine. He has miles more upside then Grebeshkov ever had.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:45 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

He's a rookie who made some mistakes when pressured by a very assertive forecheck in the finals.

With the guidance of Mitchell, he should develop more confidence and knowledge of the game to be a solid player. Let's not forget how much Martinez struggled his first season, and he was 23 when he first stepped on the NHL ice. Voynov is 21.

He had some struggles, but I think he has plenty of time to develop further.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:00 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
What you're actually referring to is where Mitchell told Voynov to not be goaded into taking a retaliatory penalty after Kovalchuck skated behind him and slashed the back of his leg.
that's what I get for trying to go from memory Thanks.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Complaining, criticizing, whatever you want to cal lit. I'm just saying, everyone knows Voynov didn't have the greatest playoffs, but let's enjoy this for a while before we start looking at negatives.
Hockey board = discussions of hockey. Don't like? Don't click. Simple.

Nobody's criticizing or complaining. Although if they were, that's their prerogitave, too.

100% of the posts are supportive or at least considered his age and experience.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
BringTheReign

I think was a mx of nerves and the fact, as you mentioned, that the Devils were keying in on him hard. Not everyone will come in and impress like Doughty, having a team that forechecks like New Jersey does fixated on you is no small task. He held his own albeit being a bit shaky at times.

One thing is for certain though, this final is only going to serve to make him better, and make it harder for any of the other young guys like Muzzin, Forbort, or Deslauriers from sticking on the big team.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:44 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

One thing we all need to remember, besides the fact he is/was a rookie, is that his Manchester scouting report was that he was an offensive defenseman that had work to do on tightening his defensive responsibilities. I have no doubt that next year, he will be more decisive when faced with forecheck pressure and be better on the breakout. I don't think he did a terrible job with his one on one defending. I thought most of his miscues came when trying to initiate the breakout, holding it just a bit too long and then turning it over.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is physically ailing him because I didn't see the speed that he's known for. Remember, he won AHL fastest skater competition last year. Imagine when he learns to utilize that speed to his advantage when retrieving and carrying the puck out of the zone. I'm not worried about the kid. Think of how Martinez looked in his first stint, then his second. Then King last year, and then this year. I expect Slava will make a similar leap next season. He's still learning and did it on the grandest stage against the toughest competition. Kid is going to be good.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:19 AM
ukyo

I LOVE how he handled himself, turnovers and all. Scored two goals for the Devils, one of them a game-winner. And even after that, he's still got the balls to hang onto the puck in the corners against the toughest forecheck the Kings had faced all playoffs?

Just wait until his body grows into what his mind thinks it can do.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Remember when Voynov played keepaway to help finish off Game 3 against the Coyotes?

Now that was nice. This guy can play. With Mitchell as his partner, I just never worried about that pairing. A few rookie jitters? Who cares. The Kings defense as a unit was nails throughout the playoffs.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

For some perspective, think of Voynov at 22 and then remember Visnovsky at that age.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Ollie Weeks

I thought he was terrific overall. A few bobbles, but those are to be expected. He played through the jitters and won a Cup. And he's only going to improve, really happy we have him.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote