HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

vCash: 500
0 interest in Knuble, he would just do what Hunter and Moreau did this year. Would much rather give the roster spot he would take up, to 1 of the kids instead.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Since I am also a Sabres fan I am trying to think of a way that Derek Roy makes sense on this team. But he doesn't. Guy could be a fantastic player in the right situation. We have too many centers as is. And Mike Richards > Roy.

Kind of hope he isn't out of Buffalo...but the writing seems to be on the wall that it's either he or Lindy Ruff that is gone. And Pegula/Regier love Ruff.

Also. Brad Boyes seems to be looking to hit the FA market. Pretty certain Buffalo will not resign him.

Thoughts?

Old
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Capn Brown

What kind of discount do you guys think Stoll will take to re-sign?

Old
06-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
He was earning $3.6M per year. If his contract was reduced to $3.2M per I think that would be adequate, however, given the competitive marketplace for centers who can win faceoffs, Stoll could get close to $4M in an open market.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
I think he would go for 3 million at the lowest, but at that point I would rather give more to Ray Whitney and get a better all around player and move Carter back to center. And then resign Penner for his discount(which would be a better fit as a winger and take a larger discount).

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Carter-Whitney
King-Richards-Gagne

Old
06-21-2012, 02:52 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
NHL12 type of discount.

$2.8 mil

Old
06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
I think he would go for 3 million at the lowest, but at that point I would rather give more to Ray Whitney and get a better all around player and move Carter back to center. And then resign Penner for his discount(which would be a better fit as a winger and take a larger discount).

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Carter-Whitney
King-Richards-Gagne
And when Whitney's 40 year old body takes the inevitable down turn after DL signs him to a 3.5 mil a year contract do we all complain about it being a stupid contract?

The guy is 40. I don't care how many points he had. He doesn't fit with this team because of his age. 41 next season.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
If we sign him, I hope him its not more then 2 years and 2 mil per

Old
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

- If Stoll leaves it's not a significant loss, because I think Lewis is ready to shoulder a bigger load. If someone offers Stoll more than he made this season, goodluck dude and thanks for stepping up in the playoffs.

- I wanted Whitney a couple of years ago, but not at this point.

- Knuble is a fantastic person to have in the lockerroom, but he is on the downside and not needed on this team.

- The Kings have in the past tried to bring in veteran players to guide the younger players, with mixed results. Mitchell and Scuderi were great signings. Smyth was a disaster, Moreau and Hunter were poor signings. Handzus was mixed, but Clifford mentioned how great a leader Handzus was on the ice. I think at this point the Kings don't need to add any players like this, unless they are going to be major contributors on the ice.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:41 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Carter-Whitney
King-Richards-Gagne
Gagne isn't a RW. I know Whitney is a right shot, but he's pretty much a LW as well. And Penner back on board. Plus keeping Brown on LW. Something has to give.

If the Kings bring in Whitney, Penner is gone. If Penner is back, Whitney won't be here. Assuming Gagne is ready to go for another year, he's back in the mix on the top 2 lines. If Penner or Whitney are around, along with Gagne, that means Brown goes back to the right side.

But, if you include Gagne, the Kings have six top 6 forwards. Which would make re-signing Stoll more likely than Penner. Unless the Kings were going to move Carter to C, but that would cause Brown to move back to RW.

The Kings already have 12 forwards(including King as a RFA) that are either locks to be on the team, or have spots to lose. That's not including the 3 UFA's that the Kings seem to want to bring back if they can. Fraser would be the easiest guy to bring back, so that could be 13 forwards. That would make it unlikely that both Whitney and Penner could fit on the team, and that's if the Kings don't manage to bring Stoll back as well.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
And when Whitney's 40 year old body takes the inevitable down turn after DL signs him to a 3.5 mil a year contract do we all complain about it being a stupid contract?

The guy is 40. I don't care how many points he had. He doesn't fit with this team because of his age. 41 next season.
So Selanne wouldn't fit? Whitney is a guy who won't downturn that quickly. He also would mesh well with Carter.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:44 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
- If Stoll leaves it's not a significant loss, because I think Lewis is ready to shoulder a bigger load. If someone offers Stoll more than he made this season, goodluck dude and thanks for stepping up in the playoffs.

- I wanted Whitney a couple of years ago, but not at this point.

- Knuble is a fantastic person to have in the lockerroom, but he is on the downside and not needed on this team.

- The Kings have in the past tried to bring in veteran players to guide the younger players, with mixed results. Mitchell and Scuderi were great signings. Smyth was a disaster, Moreau and Hunter were poor signings. Handzus was mixed, but Clifford mentioned how great a leader Handzus was on the ice. I think at this point the Kings don't need to add any players like this, unless they are going to be major contributors on the ice.

Couldn't have said it better myself. IMO you go for top talent and if u strike out you go with our youth and try to get talent again at the deadline. We have all the vets we need

Old
06-21-2012, 03:45 PM
MsWoof

Knuble is too old. Also, when he was in Philly we coined the term "Knubled" whenever the Flyers were on the PP and a Flyer took a penalty. He was famous for that. He was good on the PP when he wasn't Knubling but that was years ago.

Regarding Stoll, has he given any indication that he's willing to take a discount? I think I'd rather have him instead of Penner.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think Lewis and his speed are better utilized on the wing as opposed to center. If the Kings can't come to terms with Stoll, they'll probably look at Gaustad, a free agent who I'm sure will be overpaid by some desperate team. That's why I think the Kings are just better off locking Stoll up seeing how they know what they are getting and there is that familiarity and chemistry on and off the ice that he has with his teammates. That is something that can't always be replicated by any addition.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
nikolai19

A few days after the Cup win, Lieweke was on 710 and stated that Phil gave him the green light to add if necessary.

I think Stoll will be back but I'm not sure about Fraz and Penner since they can be replaced. Trevor Lewis is a natural center so he can drop back for Fraz if needed. Gagne will most likely be healthy and take Penner's spot. Richardson and a rookie could be the scratches.

I think that they will be quiet in free agency because they have 20 players signed and the core is in tact for awhile. Don't see the need to immediately go out and make a rash signing. This continues to allow flexibility for signing Quick and when that happens Bernier should be able to net a player that can be infused into the lineup.

One thing I could see happening is after Quick is re-signed and if Bernier is dealt in the summer, then they could sign a backup like Brent Johnson. Quality guy, plays 20-25 games, great in the room, etc.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Lewis and his speed are better utilized on the wing as opposed to center. If the Kings can't come to terms with Stoll, they'll probably look at Gaustad, a free agent who I'm sure will be overpaid by some desperate team. That's why I think the Kings are just better off locking Stoll up seeing how they know what they are getting and there is that familiarity and chemistry on and off the ice that he has with his teammates. That is something that can't always be replicated by any addition.
But are you willing to pay Stoll, say 14-16 million over four years?

They still need to re-sign Quick and Brown.

Mitchell and Scuderi's contracts will be ending within that same time frame. It will cost significant money to bring in guys who provide what they do.

What if Richards never gets back to his form from a couple of years ago?

Will Brown continue to shine under Sutter or is he going to stay in the 25G, 50-60 point range he has been at the past five seasons?

Point is, we are going to need to give raises to key players, replace key players and maybe even add another top 6 forward depending on how certain guys play.

Signing a guy like Stoll to a long term contract in the 3.5-4 range is probably not good asset management.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
rajuabju

No to Whitney!!! Yes to RJ Umberger

But honestly, if Stoll leaves, Loktionov and/or Lewis need to step it up.

My hope is that 2 of the 3 FA (Penner/Fraser/Stoll) return. So we only have 1 "hole" to fill. And that can easily be done with a combination of Loktionov/Richardson/Clifford.

Sucks that both Moller and Holloway left to Europe... they might have legit chances at a bottom 6 role next year had they stayed.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:40 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

I laugh at how enthusiastic some of the posts are. Think about it for a second. We're arguing over re-signing our 3rd line center -- and that's the biggest hole we may have.

Remember the good ol days, when we signed Kyle Calder and Trent Klatt to play Top 6. And convinced ourselves it wasn't so bad. Yeah. Good times.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Bring back Nagy imo

Old
06-21-2012, 04:54 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Since I am also a Sabres fan I am trying to think of a way that Derek Roy makes sense on this team. But he doesn't. Guy could be a fantastic player in the right situation. We have too many centers as is. And Mike Richards > Roy.

Kind of hope he isn't out of Buffalo...but the writing seems to be on the wall that it's either he or Lindy Ruff that is gone. And Pegula/Regier love Ruff.

Also. Brad Boyes seems to be looking to hit the FA market. Pretty certain Buffalo will not resign him.

Thoughts?
Roy doesn't make the minimum height requirement to be a King

Buffalo has been trying to trade Roy for almost 2 years now.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Dean is gonna be on NHL Live soon.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
DuckHunter32

What kind of player could be brought in for Bernier + Drewiske + Westgarth?

Grabner, Parenteau,...etc? any other ideas?

Old
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
How can Staal turn down a contract when he can't even sign one until July 1st? He's in the same boat as Quick, he's not a UFA until 2013.

I can understand why he doesn't want to sign long term in Pittsburgh. He will always be playing behind Malkin and Crosby.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckHunter32 View Post
What kind of player could be brought in for Bernier + Drewiske + Westgarth?

Grabner, Parenteau,...etc? any other ideas?
Parenteau is a UFA.

Islanders have a few goalies in their system and doubt they'd want Bernier, Grabner would be interesting because he adds an element of speed to the team but he had a pretty off year after his 30+goal season, doubt you'd get Grabner for Drewiske and Westgarth, assuming they're not interested in Bernier.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
DuckHunter32

Any other team that would like this package? and who would come the other way?

Closed Thread