HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Flyers and Kings should just enter an affiliate agreement.
Ha ha, good one.

And the Penner story was mentioned, I see, about three pages ago. Late to the party again.

Anyway, I would hope we bring the guy back. He's a character guy and I think he will have a solid full season under Sutter, if that's the choice they make.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Imagine Penner being healthy, with no off-ice distractions, and a full season of Sutter. I am expecting big things from him if he re-signs.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Or they need a reason to delay the signing until July 1st because a certain LW may be available. Dean did the same thing with Gagne, asked him if he could wait until after Brad Richards made his decision. Gagne was okay with it, not sure if Penner will wait since he will get some big offers on July 1st.
Maybe, and I am all for getting Parise, but the more I think about it, the more I think he is either going to resign with New Jersey (if they can come up with the financing), or go with Detroit or Pittsburgh, where both teams have options when it comes to cap space.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Don't know if its been mentioned above or not, but apparently any Penner signing is being held up because he needs surgery on his wrist.

Lombardi said he would meet with Sutter on Monday (tomorrow) and with Penner (?) and assess the situation. Sounds like they do want to resign him, but are up in the air about the wrist.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/06/23...oaching-staff/
Or it's a polite excuse not to resign him. They haven't even talked to him about a contract yet, but their other two UFA have already signed multi-year deals.

My theory is they'll offer him a cheap contract if the wrist turns out ok. If he takes it, great, if not, oh well.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Or they need a reason to delay the signing until July 1st because a certain LW may be available. Dean did the same thing with Gagne, asked him if he could wait until after Brad Richards made his decision. Gagne was okay with it, not sure if Penner will wait since he will get some big offers on July 1st.
This is pretty much what I was thinking.

DL-"Penner I wanna resign you, just wanna get a second opinion, we set a doctors appointment for July 2nd...."

Penner- "Nothing sooner?"

DL- "Actually July 1st is the first day you can sigggg..errr the first day our Doc is back from Vacation...."

Old
06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Maybe, and I am all for getting Parise, but the more I think about it, the more I think he is either going to resign with New Jersey (if they can come up with the financing), or go with Detroit or Pittsburgh, where both teams have options when it comes to cap space.
I agree, but Dean will still make an offer to Parise.

If I was Dean, I would re-sign Penner before July 1st, I think he will be fine playing for sutter. But sutter did have some issues with Penner during the season. I like that dean wants his input and you know sutter won't bs with dean.

It will be interesting to see who sutter picks for his assistant. Frozen royalty made it sound like Bernie would take the job if he was offered it.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

I don't think Bernie will take the position full-time. Earlier in the season he stated he didn't want to have a full-time position. Who else do you guys think is up for it? Scott Pellerin?

Old
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
AHL team looks good, even more so if we get Pearson and Prokhorkin signed and playing in the A. Prokhorkin would get top 6 time in the A, more valuable than a fourth line role back in Russia. More ice time and gets used to North American ice. One issue with the roster from my standpoint is having Andreoff on the 4th line. I think he needs to be given a 3rd line role on this team, which would be a major help in his development. Weal is more suited to the wing, more so if he makes it to the big show. With Kopitar, Richards, Loktionov, and Andreoff, Weal would only get a fourth line role here. He has a shot at a better role as a winger with the Kings. Shift Meckler down and let someone else take the center role for Andreoff-Weal-O'Neil.

And I agree on the need for another big forward. Mark Mancari is 6'4 225 and a very good AHLer. Would be a solid 1 year deal for the Monarchs. And isn't Colin Miller AHL eligible this season? Could get some good minutes
Colin Miller being a right handed defenseman would slide in perfectly as Hickey's defensive partner. If they sign Tanner Pearson, they could slot him in as the #1 or #2 LW on the Monarchs and drop Czarnik to play C or W on one of the lower lines. Andreoff could easily be the #3 LW, I guess it depends if Meckler returns or if he signs with a European club.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:59 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Anyone know if Prokhorkin has a KHL contract he has to fulfill, or is he available to come over next season?

Old
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
Anyone know if Prokhorkin has a KHL contract he has to fulfill, or is he available to come over next season?
He doesn't have a contract.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
I heard no contract. Can come over.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
I heard no contract. Can come over.
Nice, let's hope he does!

Old
06-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I wouldn't say he was their choice goaltender. In 2011, the flyers goaltending was probably the ********* it's ever been with a backup veteran, a rookie, and an AHLer playing goalie roulette in the crease. Snider in his infinite wisdom, suddenly realized that the Flyers needed a goaltender, so he checked the goalie market. Unfortunately for him, the market was pretty awful and so he signed the best goalie out there which was Bryzgalov. He handed the guy a blank check and flew him on his private jet. Then he overreacted with Carter and Richards and demanded they be shipped out, too.

I can't prove that Snider was behind it all, but the moves made are really questionable. Ship out your franchise players, sign 30 year goalie to insane contract, still continue to stay a playoff team by signing vets even though the team is now filled with rookies. There's just no plan.
You don't know if he overreacted or not. There are a lot of substantiated accounts of Richards and Carter not being the best team mates and having off ice issues (I'll avoid specifics). By many accounts the situation had just become toxic and was not something that everyone involved was going to be able to work through. I'm glad a change of scenery did everyone well.

If the rookies you have are the rookies you want to build with, what is the benefit of missing the play-offs? You don't want them entering their prime with out ever having been in the post season. I really don't see what the criticism is there.

The one thing I'll agree with is the Bryzgalov signing. It was handled dreadfully and was a stupid ****ing decision regardless. Oh well, he's competent but overpaid. We can live with it.

The tone of this whole discussion about the Flyers is hilarious. It's all being conducted from a high horse. Enjoy your cup, but for Christ's sake, don't become Penguins fans.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post

The tone of this whole discussion about the Flyers is hilarious. It's all being conducted from a high horse. Enjoy your cup, but for Christ's sake, don't become Penguins fans.
I have to agree, since the Kings won the cup there have been a lot of really bad posts on here, especially directed at other teams and players.

The Kings run was magical and great, but let's not kid ourselves, the last couple of weeks of the season we were scoreboard watching teams like Dallas, Calgary and Colorado.

Lets not act as if this team was the 2002 Red Wings in the way we interact with other fanbases.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
I just don't understand the constant large-scale reshuffling. Haven't for a few years. It doesn't make sense to many people.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I just don't understand the constant large-scale reshuffling. Haven't for a few years. It doesn't make sense to many people.
Who you telling, brother!? It bugs a lot of us too.

Well, I think there are two main contributors to it. Like I said before I won't get into specifics, but Richards and Carter were super tight, but there was some chemistry issues between those two and the rest of the room. If anyone wants me to be less vague I can be in a private conversation in PM. I think once Holmgren saw that the dynamic within the locker room had become toxic, he had to make a choice between Richards and Carter and Laviolette and a few other players. I think the return he got as well as the cap flexibility he gained by moving those two is justification enough for his decision. They also needed cap space to afford their really bad decision to sign Bryzgalov for a fortune. Their impatience with Bob still pisses me off and he's not even on the roster anymore.

The high degree of roster turnover before that is probably symptomatic of the fact that this team hadn't been Holmgren's for very long. Some of those guys were still Clarke's guys. There was also a well documented trend of the entire forward corp going out and getting **** faced whenever they were in town. It was a slow culture change.

I would be shocked if the degree of roster turnover that the team has had in the last few years is maintained into the future. It would just be ******** beyond belief.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

What are the rules on players playing in the AHL during a lockout?

Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Colin Miller being a right handed defenseman would slide in perfectly as Hickey's defensive partner. If they sign Tanner Pearson, they could slot him in as the #1 or #2 LW on the Monarchs and drop Czarnik to play C or W on one of the lower lines. Andreoff could easily be the #3 LW, I guess it depends if Meckler returns or if he signs with a European club.
I think you could play Miller alongside Muzzin or Campbell instead. Both are leftys. Put Miller on the 2nd pair with one of them and Hickey on the top pair with the other.

Also, Meckler shouldn't get ice time above Andreoff even if he returns. Andreoff needs more ice time than 3rd line. And wouldn't it make more sense to have Weal slide to the wing and Andy at center? Andreoff is a better fit for the future as a 3rd line center than anyone we have, and Weal will play on the wing if he ever makes the Kings. So wouldn't Weal-Andreoff-O'Neil be a better idea?

Old
06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Who you telling, brother!? It bugs a lot of us too.

Well, I think there are two main contributors to it. Like I said before I won't get into specifics, but Richards and Carter were super tight, but there was some chemistry issues between those two and the rest of the room. If anyone wants me to be less vague I can be in a private conversation in PM. I think once Holmgren saw that the dynamic within the locker room had become toxic, he had to make a choice between Richards and Carter and Laviolette and a few other players. I think the return he got as well as the cap flexibility he gained by moving those two is justification enough for his decision. They also needed cap space to afford their really bad decision to sign Bryzgalov for a fortune. Their impatience with Bob still pisses me off and he's not even on the roster anymore.

The high degree of roster turnover before that is probably symptomatic of the fact that this team hadn't been Holmgren's for very long. Some of those guys were still Clarke's guys. There was also a well documented trend of the entire forward corp going out and getting **** faced whenever they were in town. It was a slow culture change.

I would be shocked if the degree of roster turnover that the team has had in the last few years is maintained into the future. It would just be ******** beyond belief.

Great post! Adds insight from the other side!

Old
06-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Quattro

gee, another internet insider with juicy information he can't share publicly. Give me a fn break.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I have to agree, since the Kings won the cup there have been a lot of really bad posts on here, especially directed at other teams and players.
That's all about maturity.

Quote:
The Kings run was magical and great, but let's not kid ourselves, the last couple of weeks of the season we were scoreboard watching teams like Dallas, Calgary and Colorado.
I expect that to change radically, considering the team will have a full year under Sutter. Notwithstanding any "Stanley Cup hangover," I believe we will break the 100-point barrier with room to spare. I am looking for a top-3 WC spot with, obviously, a division win.

Quote:
Lets not act as if this team was the 2002 Red Wings in the way we interact with other fanbases.
I don't understand this reference; unless, of course, you mean generally how Red Wings fan-bases interact with other fan-bases.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
gee, another internet insider with juicy information he can't share publicly. Give me a fn break.
Seriously. Anything to cover up more ****.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Great post! Adds insight from the other side!
Not an insider, at all. I didn't mean to present myself as that. The reason I won't post anything specific publicly is twofold: first, because they're both Kings now, and I don't want to have the poor form of coming into your forum and bashing your players. There was some tension in the room and I think that's all that really need be said and all that is relevant to the topic of why the Flyers have had so much roster change (no need to rehash any unpleasantness). Secondly, I won't say anything specific because it is all hearsay. It is all first hand, from people who work with the team, and I trust to be honest. But hearsay is hearsay all the same. You've probably heard all of it by now anyway (most likely mixed in with some pure fiction and rumor), from one place or another, reputable or not.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Not an insider, at all. I didn't mean to present myself as that. The reason I won't post anything specific publicly is twofold: first, because they're both Kings now, and I don't want to have the poor form of coming into your forum and bashing your players. There was some tension in the room and I think that's all that really need be said and all that is relevant to the topic of why the Flyers have had so much roster change (no need to rehash any unpleasantness). Secondly, I won't say anything specific because it is all hearsay. It is all first hand, from people who work with the team, and I trust to be honest. But hearsay is hearsay all the same. You've probably heard all of it by now anyway (most likely mixed in with some pure fiction and rumor), from one place or another, reputable or not.
I didn't think that. You are a Flyers fan and I enjoyed hearing your view. I won't get into the Richards/Carter scenario but I find a lot of the rumored stories to be complete bull****.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I didn't think that. You are a Flyers fan and I enjoyed hearing your view. I won't get into the Richards/Carter scenario but I find a lot of the rumored stories to be complete bull****.
Gossip usually is. We'll never know for absolutely sure what is true and isn't. I don't really need to. Things seem to have ended decently for everyone (except Columbus ). That's good enough for me.

Closed Thread