Guys who will not play for the Wild next season

Old
06-14-2012, 10:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Bulmer had no competition last year. This year there is a ton. Larsson is a much better player and prospect with a higher ceiling. Not to mention he's played pro hockey for a couple years now.

Bulmer should be a top six guy in the AHL while Larsson will likely be on the third line or in Sweden.
Larsson will not play in Sweden this year. That's something Fletcher has come out and said, he'll be in St. Paul or Houston this year. The thing all of you "Larsson is better than Bulmer" people just won't acknowledge is that there is no open 3rd line spot unless we don't sign anyone and Butch is still injured or we don't sign anyone including Lats. A trade would be a possibility as well.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
You mistake "Larsson is ready for the NHL" as "Larsson is better"...nobody is saying that. Larsson is simply more ready for the NHL right now.

Also, absolutely a third line spot is open, unless you were completely satisfied with Johnson the second half of the season. I think many of us see him dropping to the 4th line or down to Houston, Larsson taking his spot on the third line.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Why wouldn't there be a third line spot open?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You mistake "Larsson is ready for the NHL" as "Larsson is better"...nobody is saying that. Larsson is simply more ready for the NHL right now.

Also, absolutely a third line spot is open, unless you were completely satisfied with Johnson the second half of the season. I think many of us see him dropping to the 4th line or down to Houston, Larsson taking his spot on the third line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Why wouldn't there be a third line spot open?
As was listed out a few times earlier in the thread:

Heatley-Koivu-[open]
[open]-Cullen-Setoguchi
[open]-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Johnson-Powe-[open]

Those 3 top 9 spots will be filled with some combination of the following: Latendresse, Bouchard, Granlund, UFA. If Lats is retained (which seems likely) and Butch is ready to play (which has seemed to be the case) the only way Larsson makes the team is if he beats out Granlund or there's a trade. With the possibility of signing a free agent added in, it's nearly impossible for Larsson to make the team without some sort of beyond expectations, phenomenal showing.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

Heatley-Koivu-[open]
[open]-Cullen-Setoguchi
Johnson-Powe-[open]

Those 3 top 9 spots will be filled with some combination of the following: Latendresse, Bouchard, Granlund, UFA. If Lats is retained (which seems likely) and Butch is ready to play (which has seemed to be the case) the only way Larsson makes the team is if he beats out Granlund or there's a trade. With the possibility of signing a free agent added in, it's nearly impossible for Larsson to make the team without some sort of beyond expectations, phenomenal showing.
It seems you have much more confidence in Bouchard than I do.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:

Heatley-Koivu-[open]
[open]-Cullen-Setoguchi
Johnson-Powe-[open]

Just curious where you saw Bouchard was expected to be ready.

Also, don't discount the possibility of breaking in one of these guys on the 4th line. I for one would welcome a 4th line that could bring some combination of energy and skill instead of being so bad you avoid using them more than 5 minutes a game. If they can PK and keep Koivu from having to do it, so much the better.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Also, Johnson is no lock for the roster himself!

Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Just curious where you saw Bouchard was expected to be ready.

Also, don't discount the possibility of breaking in one of these guys on the 4th line. I for one would welcome a 4th line that could bring some combination of energy and skill instead of being so bad you avoid using them more than 5 minutes a game. If they can PK and keep Koivu from having to do it, so much the better.
I'll have to try find a source for the Butch thing, but I recall when reading how Lats is considered 100% recovered, that it was mentioned that Butch is close. If he's close in June, it would be a stretch to see him not ready in October.

As for sticking a prospect in on the fourth line, it's always a possibility, but with the direction Fletcher has taken thus far, and some of the hopes and expectations about possible offensive output from the prospects, I would be rather surprised if we started a Larsson, Coyle, or Zucker there.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
If Harding won't be back with the Wild, then I hope GMCF will trade his rights somewhere.
what if the wild made a deal with NJ involving both parises rights to MN and trade hardings rights to NJ. NJ will prob need a goalie. they can be the new san jose.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:10 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
. Even if either Butch or Lats isn't back, Larsson would still have to beat out Bulmer for that slot, and Bulmer basically earned it last year.
I would have to put my money on Larsson being the better player than Bulmer therefore earning the spot on the Wild.

Quote:
I'm actually very confident in Larsson making the Wild roster out of camp next year.
I rate the rookie's chances like this...
Granlund=lock
Larsson=close to lock
Brodin=VERY good chance
Everyone else=most likely in Houston.
Brodin I would slot as a lock. After seeing and hearing him play at the WC with men and getting solid minutes I would say he could play here. It would be nice to see everyone else in Houston tear it up, assuming they get acclimated with the AHL, but they may not tear it up bc it is pro hockey not juniors

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The only reason I don't have Brodin as a lock, is because Defense is one of the most difficult positions to for a rookie to have success. I could easily see the team send him to Houston just to ease him into the NA game.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Wasn't it NHL or SEL for Brodin? It's already been confirmed that he's not returning to the SEL, and he already looked comfortable playing against men in Sweden. I'd say he's pretty much a lock with how terrible our defense looks right now.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
If (big if) Suter signs with the Wild and Brodin makes the team, I'd assume Prosser will be traded.

Remember, he has now a 1-way contract.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Wasn't it NHL or SEL for Brodin? It's already been confirmed that he's not returning to the SEL, and he already looked comfortable playing against men in Sweden. I'd say he's pretty much a lock with how terrible our defense looks right now.
Agreed.

Besides, I think it's good for his development. He gets to play substantial minutes VS NHL offense. Not many prospects have that luxury.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
If (big if) Suter signs with the Wild and Brodin makes the team, I'd assume Prosser will be traded.

Remember, he has now a 1-way contract.
Not sure who would want him. Somebody would take Falk though, his 6' 4'' would be appealing to somebody.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Well, you never know...

I'd hate to see Falk being traded.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
We can always loan Prosser to Europe or something.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally, but Fletcher backed away from that later and indicated we could see Brodin in Houston if he doesn't make the team. It'd be nice to have him available for callup if he doesn't make the club out of camp.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:01 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Nope, AHL has been mentioned as a possibility for him on a few occasions. He has a very good shot, but is not guaranteed a roster spot.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

If I'm not mistaken, we can always stick Prosser in the AHL before a certain date and his contract status won't matter whether he has a one or two way. If we call him up in the middle of the season though, then try to send him down again, someone can claim him. If push comes to shove, what team is going to claim him anyways? And even if they do, what's the big deal? Prosser isn't exactly a "hard to replace" d-man.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Nope, AHL has been mentioned as a possibility for him on a few occasions. He has a very good shot, but is not guaranteed a roster spot.
I suppose you're right - no player is "guaranteed" a roster spot. I'd say his chance of making our roster is very high, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, we can always stick Prosser in the AHL before a certain date and his contract status won't matter whether he has a one or two way. If we call him up in the middle of the season though, then try to send him down again, someone can claim him. If push comes to shove, what team is going to claim him anyways? And even if they do, what's the big deal? Prosser isn't exactly a "hard to replace" d-man.
I'm not sure that's how a 1-way contract works. Sounds like a loop-hole that the NHLPA wouldn't allow.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

A 1 way contract only means he gets the same pay if he's in the NHL or AHL. THAT IS ALL.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Oh, sweet. By all means, send him down.

Edit: Doh, waivers.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
A 1 way contract only means he gets the same pay if he's in the NHL or AHL. THAT IS ALL.
Not ture.

Prosser would have to go through waivers to play in Houston. I doubt he'd get claimed but still.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Not ture.

Prosser would have to go through waivers to play in Houston. I doubt he'd get claimed but still.
Waivers has nothing to do with having a 1 way contract and everything to do with time served as a professional.

Here you go...

This is the meat and potatoes of determining waiver eligibility. Three key factors determine whether a player is waiver eligible; age, years of experience, and # of games played..

Age is defined as the age of the player when he signs his entry-level contract with an NHL club. This is used to determine the thresholds for the players' waiver eligibility. The thresholds are the number of years from signing a professional contract, and the number of professional games played.

Depending on the age as determined above, a player is waiver eligible for a certain number of years from the year in which he signed his first contract, as shown below.

Goalies Skaters
Age Years Age Years
18 6* 18 5*
19 5* 19 4*
20 4 20 3
21 4 21 3
22 4 22 3
23 3 23 3
24 2 24 2
25+ 1 25+ 1

For anyone 20 or older, the year in which they play their first professional game is considered the first year counting towards the number of years they are exempt from waivers.

*If an 18 or 19 year old plays in 11 or more NHL games in a season, then the eligible period drops to 4 years for a goalie and 3 years for a skater, with the first year of that period being the year in which the player played 11 or more games.

(Example: Nazem Kadri & John Tavares both signed their first NHL contract as 18 year olds. However, Tavares has played more than 11 games as an 18 year-old. Therefore, Tavares is now waiver-exempt for 4 years (this year, and the 3 ensuing years), while Kadri is waiver-exempt for 6 (this year and the 5 ensuing, although this could change if he plays next season).

The other factor is games played. Once a player reaches the threshold (again based on the age at which they signed their first professional contract), they are eligible for waivers. The language of the CBA is very clear that while there are two distinct thresholds, this is an "earliest of" scenario. If a player reaches their games played mark before the reach the years mark (or vice versa), they become eligible for waivers.

Goalies Skaters
Age Games Age Games
18 80 18 160
19 80 19 160
20 80 20 160
21 60 21 80
22 60 22 70
23 60 23 60
24 60 24 60
25+ 25+

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-14-2012 at 07:33 PM.