Old
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Waivers has nothing to do with having a 1 way contract and everything to do with time served as a professional.
Well, yes it actually does if you get called up/sent down.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well, yes it actually does if you get called up/sent down.
No, a 1 way contract ONLY affects salary NOT waivers. See my edited previous post detailing how waiver eligibility is determined.

Even players with 2 way contracts have to go through waivers if they are eligible.

The ONLY significance between 1 way contracts and 2 way contracts, is with a 1 way contract the player is guaranteed his NHL salary whether he is in the NHL or is sent down.

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-14-2012 at 07:43 PM.
TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
No, a 1 way contract ONLY affects salary NOT waivers. See my edited previous post detailing how waiver eligibility is determined.

Even players with 2 way contracts have to go through waivers if they are eligible.

The ONLY significance between 1 way contracts and 2 way contracts, is with a 1 way contract the player is guaranteed his NHL salary whether he is in the NHL or is sent down.
In almost all cases this is true. There are some weird issues involving 1-way contracts that can affect waivers, but those are small technicalities and I think might only apply to re-entry (50%) waivers.

But to re-emphasize your original point:

NHL 12 AND OTHER EA SPORTS NHL GAMES DO NOT DO WAIVERS CORRECTLY

Waivers are determined by (as TaLoN described) only age, experience, contract signing date, and position. The only meaningful difference between a 1-way and 2-way contract is the salary paid to a player in the AHL.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:08 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Re-entry Waivers

Typically, the players that go through re-entry waivers are mostly players that, at one time or another, were buried in the minors so that the NHL team could be rid of the player’s cap hit (i.e. Sean Avery, Wade Redden, Michael Leighton, Matt Walker). Players that have played in 320 or more games (NHL, AHL, or ECHL) and goalies that have played in 180 or more games games are eligible for re-entry waivers.

As an example, Michael Leighton had to clear re-entry waivers in order to be recalled up to the Flyers because he meets the games played requirements. Sean Avery is the most known example of re-entry waivers. Dallas waived him (he cleared) and placed him in the AHL; then they later recalled him where he was claimed on re-entry waivers by the Rangers. The LA Kings also claimed Randy Jones from the Flyers on re-entry waivers; however Jones was in the last year of his contract so there were no ramifications beyond that given season.

The interesting thing about re-entry waivers is that if a player is claimed on re-entry waivers, the team that placed him on re-entry waivers is still responsible for 50% of the contract, for the remainder of the contract. So when the Rangers claimed Avery on re-entry waivers, the Rangers took on a cap hit of $1.9375 million and the Stars were responsible for the other $1.9375 million for the rest of the contract.

No special stipulations on 1 way contracts there either... many players with 2 way contracts go through re-entry waivers as well.

Here's to re-iterate what I've said about 1 way and 2 way contracts...

One-Way vs Two-Way Contracts

One other common misconception regarding waivers, is with the terms “one-way” or “two-way” contract. People tend to think that if a player signs a “two-way” contract, that that player can be shuffled to and from the AHL at will. That is not correct. As stated above, waiver eligibility is determined strictly by when the contract was signed, and how many games that player has accumulated. The only thing a “two-way” contract does is simply define two different salaries for the player. One if they are in the NHL, and one if they are in the AHL.

So even if the Flyers were to sign some NCAA Free Agent (think Read or Gustafsson) to a one-way contract, that player could still be sent down, and recalled from the AHL whenever they wanted; until they played enough games to no longer be exempt from waivers. Conversely, if Ryan Suter agreed to sign a two-way contract with the Flyers this offseason, that does not mean the Flyers could send him to the AHL freely. (I clearly took this an example to an extreme.)

In Summary:

Until a player plays enough games, or enough time has passed, they are exempt from waivers and can be sent down to the AHL freely.
A player who is not exempt from waivers, must clear waivers before they can be sent to the AHL.
Players that have accumulated enough games in the NHL or AHL can also be eligible for re-entry waivers.
Re-entry waivers is a similar process but on the way back up to the NHL.
If a team claims a player on re-entry waivers, they are only responsible for 50% of the player’s contract. The original team is responsible for the other 50%.
A two-way contract means nothing as far as waiver eligibility. It simply defines an NHL and an AHL salary.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
No special stipulations on 1 way contracts there either... many players with 2 way contracts go through re-entry waivers as well.
I just re-read through the relevant portions of the actual CBA. 1-way contracts affect the cost of waivers and waiver claims, which is what I was confusing in my post.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote