HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ-PHI (Rick Nash rumors and proposed deals; update: traded to NYR, July 23)

Old
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
It's interesting to speculate-- I think ultimately I'd be okay with a Nash trade as long as JVR is the only significant forward being dealt on our end.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Krishna

Also that isnt his agent

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Also that isnt his agent
Hmm might be a good find there ya have. Joe Resnick is his agent it seems.

Tweet him that, I would but I never have sent a tweet out yet, and don't plan on it anytime soon.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Also that isnt his agent
Good catch. I just googled and you're right. What a fraud

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Krishna

edit : not allowed

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:57 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

If we trade Sean Couturier a year after trading Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, I will throw all my Flyers jerseys in the garbage.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

In response to the "supposed deal" I'm not sure I would throw Read in there as well, not because I think Read will be a superstar just that three roster players (two that play on a nightly basis) and a potential great future player, could be have a large enough impact to start hurting instead of helping.

I guess one could argue that moving Read gives more ice time to Schenn and Couturier which is a positive, but I like what I saw from Matt Read and while I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right offer, I would like to see at least one more season of him in the orange and black.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:33 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
In response to the "supposed deal" I'm not sure I would throw Read in there as well, not because I think Read will be a superstar just that three roster players (two that play on a nightly basis) and a potential great future player, could be have a large enough impact to start hurting instead of helping.

I guess one could argue that moving Read gives more ice time to Schenn and Couturier which is a positive, but I like what I saw from Matt Read and while I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right offer, I would like to see at least one more season of him in the orange and black.
That and he makes 900k

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:01 AM
BillDineen

So trade massive assets (even more than the Pronger trade) to get a 60 point winger that you HOPE has chemistry with Giroux, but otherwise is a 60-65 point winger???????????

This is like Gainey trading for Gomez.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
So trade massive assets (even more than the Pronger trade) to get a 60 point winger that you HOPE has chemistry with Giroux, but otherwise is a 60-65 point winger???????????

This is like Gainey trading for Gomez.
Don't forget that his cap hit is 7.8 million for those 60-65 points, compared to Hartnell who just put up 37 goals and 67 points for 4.2 million.

What's not to lose!?

(besides a minimum of two cheap but effective roster players)

06-21-2012, 01:25 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
you dont give up the type of young talent rumored to be headed to CBJ for Rick Nash in hoping he has chemistry with Giroux. To pencil Nash in for 40-50 goals just because he scores 30 with players inferior to Giroux is foolish.
Could he score 50? sure. But the risk does not outweigh the reward if you have to move JVR,Couturier+

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:43 AM
hockeyfreak7

I'm okay giving up Read if it means we flip JVR for Nash.

I love Read, and I love what he brought to the team, but he's not a player who cant be filled through free agency.

I've been an outspoken critic of Nash on the main boards, but if he comes to Philly and plays to his potential, he will be a massive improvement on what we have now. I'm not one of the people saying Nash+Giroux will be a magical duo and that Nash will hit 40+, but Nash is obviously a better all around presence than JVR. He's a two way forward who knows how to use his size effectively and has leadership qualities. If all he does is replace JVR's spot in the lineup, it's fine by me. It's obvious that no franchise defender will be coming to Philly this summer, so we might as well bolster our lineup however we can now, and then get our guy (Weber) next year with the money freed up from Timonen's contract.

And I'm not even sure if I'd put him with Giroux. Unless they really do have some magical connection, I might try something like this so he could get secondary match ups behind Giroux:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Nash-Schenn-Briere
Simmonds-Couturier-Wellwood/Talbot

I think Nash could benefit more from secondary match ups more than he would from better line mates.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:35 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I'm okay giving up Read if it means we flip JVR for Nash.

I love Read, and I love what he brought to the team, but he's not a player who cant be filled through free agency.

I've been an outspoken critic of Nash on the main boards, but if he comes to Philly and plays to his potential, he will be a massive improvement on what we have now. I'm not one of the people saying Nash+Giroux will be a magical duo and that Nash will hit 40+, but Nash is obviously a better all around presence than JVR. He's a two way forward who knows how to use his size effectively and has leadership qualities. If all he does is replace JVR's spot in the lineup, it's fine by me. It's obvious that no franchise defender will be coming to Philly this summer, so we might as well bolster our lineup however we can now, and then get our guy (Weber) next year with the money freed up from Timonen's contract.

And I'm not even sure if I'd put him with Giroux. Unless they really do have some magical connection, I might try something like this so he could get secondary match ups behind Giroux:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Nash-Schenn-Briere
Simmonds-Couturier-Wellwood/Talbot

I think Nash could benefit more from secondary match ups more than he would from better line mates.
IF we got Nash (the bigger if)
and
IF he plays in the top 6,
I'd expect 40 goals. If carter can do it, NASH can definitely do it.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Do not want Nash AT ALL, that cap hit is ridiculous.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:03 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangiroux View Post
Do not want Nash AT ALL, that cap hit is ridiculous.
Unless Giroux takes a monster hometown discount when he gets to that UFA season, expect a "ridiculous" salary like that. The most dynamic players in this league get that kind of salary.

Yeah, Nash is probably overpaid a bit, but his ability puts him in the 7-8 million dollar range.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm wondering how much of a push for Nash is coming from Laviolette? Usually coaches and GMs work together in trying to shape the roster and if the Flyers are making a push for Nash, how much influence and how much of Holmgren's ear does Laviolette have? I know Pronger is the guy most point their fingers at with regards to the Richards and Carter moves, but I really wonder whether it was Laviolette behind the scenes orchestrating their moves? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Laviolette is pushing Holmgren hard to acquire Nash.

I hope there's no deal for Nash. It's clear that the D needs to be worked on so I really don't understand the push for Nash. Let some other team gut their roster and farm system for him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm wondering how much of a push for Nash is coming from Laviolette? Usually coaches and GMs work together in trying to shape the roster and if the Flyers are making a push for Nash, how much influence and how much of Holmgren's ear does Laviolette have? I know Pronger is the guy most point their fingers at with regards to the Richards and Carter moves, but I really wonder whether it was Laviolette behind the scenes orchestrating their moves? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Laviolette is pushing Holmgren hard to acquire Nash.

I hope there's no deal for Nash. It's clear that the D needs to be worked on so I really don't understand the push for Nash. Let some other team gut their roster and farm system for him.
What defensemen are available that you would want? I assume, that the Flyers have some indication that Ryan Suter doesn't want to come here. They have probably already inquired about Weber and have probably been rebuffed. I don't know what other #1 guys the could possibly get? If the Flyers re-sign Carle they'll have Coburn, Grossmann, Carle, Timonen, Mez. That's a pretty solid group.

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
What defensemen are available that you would want? I assume, that the Flyers have some indication that Ryan Suter doesn't want to come here. They have probably already inquired about Weber and have probably been rebuffed. I don't know what other #1 guys the could possibly get? If the Flyers re-sign Carle they'll have Coburn, Grossmann, Carle, Timonen, Mez. That's a pretty solid group.
I tend to agree with what you're saying here. I think that the Flyers though process is that if there's no viable way to improve our defenseman, the forwards are the only avenue.

I agree with that sentiment somewhat, but I also hate the idea of making a move just to make a move even if it hampers you for the future. It may be tough for the Flyers and their fans to stomach, but maybe you just can't upgrade this team that significantly this offseason. Perhaps bring in a few more defensive 4th liners and let your young guys grow.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:03 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...29540905590785

https://twitter.com/D_LEED/status/215630312955318272

This is starting to get some legs and fast. I don't mind getting Nash, I just don't want Couturier in the deal. Or Schenn.
Yeah and supposedly the person who said this works for the Columbus dispatch is (by definition of Philly media) very in-the-know and legit (in so many other words).

I was much happier when I was reading rumors about how we are trying to work out a deal with the Avs for Erik Johnson.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I tend to agree with what you're saying here. I think that the Flyers though process is that if there's no viable way to improve our defenseman, the forwards are the only avenue.

I agree with that sentiment somewhat, but I also hate the idea of making a move just to make a move even if it hampers you for the future. It may be tough for the Flyers and their fans to stomach, but maybe you just can't upgrade this team that significantly this offseason. Perhaps bring in a few more defensive 4th liners and let your young guys grow.
Well, I don't really think this team needs Rick Nash, but I believe that JvR can develop into a 30 goal scorer so I'm a bit biased.

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Yeah and supposedly the person who said this works for the Columbus dispatch is (by definition of Philly media) very in-the-know and legit (in so many other words).

I was much happier when I was reading rumors about how we are trying to work out a deal with the Avs for Erik Johnson.
I really don't remember the rumors about the Flyers trying to get Johnson. I remember some speculation by us and maybe a few of our "media", but not anything solid. Like I said he isn't available most likely. Johnson had a great second half of the year for the Avs, and they made a huge splash to get him. There isn't any concern of him playing there, so I really don't think he is available or ever was

A. Portzline is one of the best in the business. So if he made that statement, it does show how far along the convo's are.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
I really don't remember the rumors about the Flyers trying to get Johnson. I remember some speculation by us and maybe a few of our "media", but not anything solid. Like I said he isn't available most likely. Johnson had a great second half of the year for the Avs, and they made a huge splash to get him. There isn't any concern of him playing there, so I really don't think he is available or ever was

A. Portzline is one of the best in the business. So if he made that statement, it does show how far along the convo's are.
Yeah it seems like it would be such a random thing to say - there must be some sort of ground to whatever is occurring...I just WISH it was for J Johnson or their draft pick and not Nash...

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Amateur Hour

I'm done with this team if Homer trades Couturier. Especially if it's for ****ing Rick Nash. Seriously. Yeah, let's give up the guy who, at 19 years old, matched up brilliantly in the playoffs with the league MVP and limited him to, what, two ES points while they were on the ice against each other during the regular season? For a team as defensively challenged as this one, and which professes the importance of building down the middle, dealing Couturier for a goal-scoring winger would fly in the face of organizational philosophy.

Trading Couturier at all just doesn't make any sense to me, and for that reason I hope the Nash nonsense is nothing more than a silly rumor.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/215818476378533889

Quote:
While the flyers have interest in Nash, the sorts of deals rumored are much higher than what is actually being discussed. Not close even
Eklund just made me happy, then realized that Eklund made me happy, which made me sad. This off season is starting to make me crazy.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Eklund just made me happy, then realized that Eklund made me happy, which made me sad. This off season is starting to make me crazy.
When Eklund is the voice of reason and calling proposals crazy, I begin to question whether 2012 really is the end.....

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote