Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign G Christopher Nihlstorp

Old
06-05-2012, 11:20 AM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Stars sign G Christopher Nihlstorp

according to heika the stars signed this guy. a 28 year old goalie from Sweden. Anyone ever heard of him? Seems like an odd signing.

Quote:
The Dallas Stars announced today that the club has signed free agent goaltender Christopher Nihlstorp (pronounced kneel-storp) to a one year, two-way contract.

Nihlstorp, 28, has played the last four seasons in the Swedish Elite League (SEL), including the last two for Farjestad BK. Last season Nihlstorp posted a .923 save percentage (SV%), a 2.04 goals against average (GAA) and five shutouts in 54 appearances with the club.

“Christopher has been a successful goaltender in the Swedish Elite League,” said Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “Aside from providing depth and stability for our system, we believe that he will have a chance to challenge for an NHL job at some point.”

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 06-05-2012 at 01:11 PM.
txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
according to heika the stars signed this guy. a 28 year old goalie from Sweden. Anyone ever heard of him? Seems like an odd signing.
Well, I guess this means Bachman or Besko is 100% traded. I would be you it's Bachman. I don't think they'd move Kari...

Never heard of the guy, but I think he good numbers for Farjestad. Eliteprospects has a very cursory scouting report on him.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Report out of Sweden says the same. Both Nihlstorp and his goalie coach are saying "No comments." His agent says, "Call me back in an hour."

http://nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1118697.ece

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Well, I guess this means Bachman or Besko is 100% traded. I would be you it's Bachman. I don't think they'd move Kari...

Never heard of the guy, but I think he good numbers for Farjestad. Eliteprospects has a very cursory scouting report on him.
They could be jettisoning Besko

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
vofty

Brandon Worley speculates that Besko is headed back to ECHL, which would leave Bachman and Nihlstorp (I'm going to have trouble not calling him oglethorp) to battle it out for the backup and the loser to go to AHL.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/6/...ce=twitterfeed

I agree with him on this one.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

This could be to give the team some depth in goal. The Stars had the fewest goalies under contract last season with 4, and now they might not need to draft on at all.

This could lead to a trade of a bunch of later picks to move up?

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Yeah, I was just figuring it would be better for Besko if he went to another teams' AHL affiliate, but I a gree that the ECHL is also an option for him, but he must know he's way down the depth chart here and may want a bigger role with a club...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
EliteProspects:

Quote:
A large goalie with fast reflexes. Could improve his sideways movement. Sometimes has trouble with high shots on his blocker side and gives up too many rebounds. (Matias Strozyk)

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
txomisc

Don't want to see Besko in the ECHL again. He had a poor season behind a ridiculous system but he is clearly too advanced for that league.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Depth is depth, definitely needed it in the goaltending spot.

Gotta feel a bit for Besko though.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
BigG44

More from the Goalie Guild (a guy that is always complimentary of Dallas' ability to develop goalies):

Quote:
The Goalie Guild ‏@TheGoalieGuild

@100degreehockey If he actually signed, I won't be surprised. Been tracking Nihlstorp for two years, always had the potential to come over.
Quote:

@100degreehockey Teams were interested in him last summer, it didn't work out. Dallas is a great fit if it happens, he has good guidance.
Quote:

Nihlstorp has been on my Top-150 list for some time, almost as a hunch. Felt something was coming, so pushed him from 95th to 86th in May.
Quote:

Bachman needs his qualifying offer first (RFA). Not sure what happens. Could be a battle in camp. RT @teebs41: would he play over Bachman?

Old
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Depth is depth, definitely needed it in the goaltending spot.

Gotta feel a bit for Besko though.
I just hope they at least give him a fair shake. If he outplays the other possible ahl goalies he should be a texas stars goaltender.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
BigG44

Old
06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
http://www.farjestadbk.se/trupp/FBK/357

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Starsdude

Besko ...another wasted second but most knew that the day he was taken except the stars management

from Andrews which includes his rankings.

My guess is that if Stars management had bought ISS and redlines and Mckeens and ran an average and took the highest player not drafted when they were up, they would have a better prospect pool than they do now. To illustrate, only larsen was a slider everyone else a reach. Only larsen will make it.

Last edited by Starsdude: 06-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
nice green uniforms

Old
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
I don't think this has anything to do with Besko.

Much more likely that they're giving themselves an option to trade Bachman this summer if someone else covets him. Remember all the comments about finding a Brad Richards type trade... what was the centerpiece of that from our side...

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
BigG44

More from the Goalie Guild: This is about Jonas Gustavsson, but I think it applies to Cristopher Nihlstorp as well.

Quote:
How big of a shift is it for Gustavsson to become a "Francois Allaire style" goalie given he's coming from Sweden in his mid-20s as a late-blooming prospect?

Technically speaking, I do think that Gustavsson does clash a little bit with Allaire's coaching style. I can only speculate on this aspect of his struggles since I live in Colorado and never see them practising or working together, but I do know that Allaire continues to teach the traditional "blocking" and positional butterfly style that made J-S Giguere (and now Jonas Hiller) so successful.

This does "clash" with Gustavsson a little bit because he's a traditional Swedish butterfly goalie: His style relies more on reflexes and reactions to stop the puck. He plays deeper in his crease in order to give himself more time to react to shots and potential deflections. His style was honed and refined in Sweden with the goalie coach Erik Granqvist, who does a great job of coaching many Farjestad goalies, including Cristopher Nihlstorp and some others.

I think because Gustavsson was refined by one coach, then went straight to the NHL and started working with Allaire without any development in the AHL, he has had to manage a difficult transitioning process. Very few goalies will be successful in that manner and there are so many things that simply must be learned in game situations. No practice can ever match the intensity and speed in an NHL game, so he is really having to learn things like rebound control, tracking the puck and positioning the hard way.

Even [Florida Panthers prospect]Jacob Markstrom, who has been touted as a more promising Swedish prospect than Gustavsson, is honing his skills and transitioning to the smaller ice surface and higher-skilled players in the AHL. And it will do him good next season when he probably gets a crack at an NHL job.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Much more likely that they're giving themselves an option to trade Bachman this summer if someone else covets him.
Completely agreed.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
BigG44

More from Goalie Guild:

Quote:
HS: Do you see any patterns among Swedish goalies today that weren’t visible a few years ago?

JG: In my opinion, Swedish goalies are getting much better instruction and training with their goalie coaches than what I saw a few years ago. The first example I think of is Erik Granqvist. Although I’m based in Colorado, I still hear so many good things about his work with goalies like Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Karlsson, Cristopher Nihlstorp and now Alex Salak. Farjestad BK is run like an NHL organization, so the type of training those goalies are getting with Granqvist is a perfect boost to their development. He also acts as a perfect bridge for them to transition to playing at a high level in North America.

When I communicate with Granqvist, I can tell he is very dedicated to improving Farjestad’s goalies and is a terrific mentor, guide and friend. Coaches like him know that a goalie’s development is maximized when the training is catered specifically to what makes the individual goalie most successful.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Gustavsson could be a top 20 goalie if Toronto let him do what he wants.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Nuttso*

He will probebly enjoy being in NHL instead of playing in sweden were people try to make him blind and getting booed while injured by the crowd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izfi6n5Koiw

Nuttso* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
BigG44

From Heika:

Quote:
Nieuwendyk was asked what the signing means. ``It means everyone should come ready for a very intense training camp.''
Quote:
``Competition is great for everyone, and I think we'll have a great competition,'' said Stars goalie coach Mike Valley, who had a big hand in finding and recruiting Nihlstorp. ``We think Christopher will step right in and be a part of the push to get better.''
Quote:
``He was one of the top goalies over there, he served as the No. 3 goalie at the World Championships, he's definitely considered an elite goalie,'' Vallley said. ``And he's very hungry to see if he can make it in the NHL.''

Valley likes Nihlstorp's size and work ethic, and said, ``we're lucky to have him in our system.'' The two-way contract also allows the Stars the ability to make adjustments as Nihlstorp makes adjustments. He may not be ready for the NHL immediately, or he simply might lose out in a battle with one of the other goalies. Either way, the Stars can send him to Cedar Park and he could be a great veteran partner for Campbell.

If he beats out Bachman, he could either push Kari Lehtonen or simply provide some needed rest time for the Stars' No. 1 goalie.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Stars twitter saying it's only a one year deal.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
BigG44

From Dallas Stars official Twitter:

Quote:
Christopher Nihlstorp (pronounced kneel-storp)