HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team draft report: Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Team draft report: Toronto Maple Leafs

As part of TSN's countdown to the 2012 NHL Draft, TSN.ca is providing reports for all seven Canadian teams going into the big event on June 22. Our coverage continues with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Report: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398297

06-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Crispy Crust

Thanks for posting this Mess.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 1723
It's going to be a long wait boys.

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
As part of TSN's countdown to the 2012 NHL Draft, TSN.ca is providing reports for all seven Canadian teams going into the big event on June 22. Our coverage continues with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Report: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398297
I posted this in the draft thread and I found it to be a bit conflicting.

Quote:
Long Term Needs: Considering the style Burke and head coach Randy Carlyle want to play, size and toughness will likely be ingredients looked for in any potential pick. The club is also shopping for immediate help in the crease and that will likely come through a trade, especially with Scrivens playing so wellin the AHL playoffs. It's also worth noting that five of Toronto's seven active-roster defenceman are under contract through 2014, while only three forwards (Mikhail Grabovski, Phil Kessel and Mike Brown) are locked up beyond next season.
Quote:
Long Term Needs: Toronto's first long-term need is at centre, where the franchise has long sought a playmaker with size. A shutdown defenceman to take the pressure off captain Dion Phaneuf, who led the team in playing time, is also likely on the wish list.
It doesn't seem to pin any player down with the qualities they want if we draft Galchenyuk at #5, he is maybe that center we are seeking but just how does he fit with size and toughness.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Overall don't have much in terms of complaints. They did miss that Colborne was dealing with a wrist injury that hampered his production, but that's about it.

But really in terms of the long and short term needs they seemed to be on the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post

It doesn't seem to pin any player down with the qualities they want if we draft Galchenyuk at #5, he is maybe that center we are seeking but just how does he fit with size and toughness.
Well not like this is just about the first round. The draft in general the focus will probably be on looking for those guys. Obviously easier to deal with the long term need for a top line center with the #5 pick, but other needs can be filled throughout.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Hurt

There will be another huge turnover in the roster within the next couple of years I assume with an influx of youth and new FAs and current players either ending their contracts or being traded.

06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Perhaps Galchenyuk is on Leaf fans wish list but not of Leafs Management & Scouts, thus he is not being targeted as such to fit the new template of need ?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Overall don't have much in terms of complaints. They did miss that Colborne was dealing with a wrist injury that hampered his production, but that's about it.

But really in terms of the long and short term needs they seemed to be on the money.

Well not like this is just about the first round. The draft in general the focus will probably be on looking for those guys. Obviously easier to deal with the long term need for a top line center with the #5 pick, but other needs can be filled throughout.
I agree but when Burke was interviewed he said maybe for the first time in his career he may pick on need and that being a center?

Old
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree but when Burke was interviewed he said maybe for the first time in his career he may pick on need and that being a center?
What are Kadri and Colborne in the current prospect pool ?

Old
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
I assumed that's what he meant. Right now their need for a top center is too big to ignore and he's got the best chance with Galchenyuk and Grigorenko near the #5 pick to help resolve it. So in this case he'd probably give more of a nod to position. Though for the rest of the draft I assume it's full on BPA that fits within his vision for the team.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:31 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Looks like Kadri is a winger in our current system

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Looks like Kadri is a winger in our current system
If a team needs a top 6 center, and they drafted a natural center in Kadri #7 overall, then switching him out of a position of need, to a position of strength in the organization seems to be counter productive.

With at least Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin ahead of him on the depth chart on the wing it looks like most of the top 6 winger roles are filled.. Matt Frattin a natural winger might even be ahead of Kadri now as far as the depth chart goes.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Perhaps Galchenyuk is on Leaf fans wish list but not of Leafs Management & Scouts, thus he is not being targeted as such to fit the new template of need ?
That's the problem, most think Galchenyuk will be our pick at #5 but it could be a defenceman, Murray or Dumba neither of which is that big, talented yes, tough meh.

If he decides on a center Grigorenko or Faksa may be a better pick but one may be there the other later in the draft, so they are not pinning any player down, of course they don't know what players are on the Leaf scouts list but if you have a shot at Galchenyuk or Forsberg would you not take one or the other?

Old
06-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Sergei Berezin

I just watched this.

Interesting that Button thinks that Biggs is our best prospect; I wonder if he means outside of pro, or if he actually believes Biggs will be a better player than Kadri/Colborne/Frattin.

I'm a huge Biggs fan, so I'm glad to see Button is a fan as well.

As for the draft, Forsberg would be quite the pick, but I just don't see him dropping to #5.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Sergei Berezin

Anyone think that Columbus will trade down?

They didn't get the #1, which is the only supposed franchise pick of this draft, and the rest of the top-5 is basically a crapshoot.

Their team was not nearly as bad as their record, and maybe they're considering taking a NHL player that'll help them now, in order to move down a couple of spots. Not sure what it would take, but I think it's more of a possibility than trading with the Oilers or Habs.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Da Murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
There will be another huge turnover in the roster within the next couple of years I assume with an influx of youth and new FAs and current players either ending their contracts or being traded.
Agreed. I see the Current Leafs Roster as a temporary walk up window at a neighborhood restaurant while they rebuild and remodel the whole dining room. You see new furniture moving in and can't help but wonder if it will be as good as it used to be when you were a kid.

Da Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
FWIW, Kadri has been playing mostly C in the AHL, but plays wing in the NHL. I

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

And he's a LW at that. Lupul and Mac are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Anyone think Mac stays over Kadri? Lolz...

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
FWIW, Kadri has been playing mostly C in the AHL, but plays wing in the NHL. I
Seemed like he was playing wing mostly in the AHL, but moved to centre when injuries hit.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Well he has been shopping for a center for some time and everything you read, says our needs are #1 goal tender,#2 big talented center, #3 Big tough talented D to help Phanuef.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
And he's a LW at that. Lupul and Mac are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Anyone think Mac stays over Kadri? Lolz...
I'm pretty sure Kulemin's the left winger on the KGM line and Kadri can play both wings, he's very good on his backhand.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's the problem, most think Galchenyuk will be our pick at #5 but it could be a defenceman, Murray or Dumba neither of which is that big, talented yes, tough meh.

If he decides on a center Grigorenko or Faksa may be a better pick but one may be there the other later in the draft, so they are not pinning any player down, of course they don't know what players are on the Leaf scouts list but if you have a shot at Galchenyuk or Forsberg would you not take one or the other?
Murray is not expected to be an option at #5 as numerous teams prior to Leafs drafting have both a desire and positional need as well BPA rankings.

If the Leafs were to draft on both need and "Burke player" style than Brendan Gaunce - Center - 6-2/215lbs of Belleville, OHL would be the prospect that filled that requirement on both accounts.

You're looking at a Mike Richards type player here, as Gaunce is also well known for his leadership and character traits including grit and comes with the immediate size factor. It would however require a likely trade down draft move (acquiring additional assets) to fit into Leafs draft spot as BPA at time of pick.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Murray is not expected to be an option at #5 as numerous teams prior to Leafs drafting have both a desire and positional need as well BPA rankings.

If the Leafs were to draft on both need and "Burke player" style than Brendan Gaunce - Center - 6-2/215lbs of Belleville, OHL would be the prospect that filled that requirement of both accounts.

You're looking at a Mike Richards type player here, as Gaunce is also well known for his leadership and character traits including grit and comes with the immediate size factor. It would however require a likely trade down draft move (acquiring additional assets) to fit into Leafs draft spot as BPA at time of pick.
I agree completely but I woner how many will agree to trading back, I have thought this for a while but how do we pass up on a player at #5.

The talent available in this draft, seems to be very deep however only Yakupov, seems to be a player with that outstanding talent but he is not a center and would be picked 1 or 2 well ahead of our pick.

This draft has me confused on what we should try to do, to move up and take Yakupov, or trade back and get another asset and a later pick.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Being extremely patient with the kids, I like it. As for the draft this year, I sincerely hope we keep our pick and draft a stud that outplays his entire class, including the first overall.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
The article suggested playmaking #1C and #2D as being the long-term goals for the Leafs, meaning our targets would be Galchenyuk/Grigorenko and Murray. Other names fit that bill later in the draft like Teravainen or Faksa, Reinhart or Reilly.

Short-term needs aren't really addressable in a draft, unless you trade the pick, or if you get someone who is NHL-ready.

My issue with that is getting a kid who is deemed NHL-ready usually means getting someone with a lower ceiling who just happens to have hit it earlier than others (though of course not necessarily in all cases). Ex: Drafting Hedman with the #2 OA in 2009 because Tampa Bay was desperate for blue line help and needed someon ready to join the ranks right away. Hedman is good, but all things being equal, would be closer to a 15thOA to 20thOA on skill alone.

Personally I would be looking at draft Murray or one of the other similar players like Reinhart or Reilly. Especially with Murray, he allows us to move Gunnarsson for a decent return, or allows us to unload a guy like Komisarek for a late round pick or something of modest value.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote