HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

NHL lockout - where could the NHL stars play?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
  #1
alko
Registered User
 
alko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
NHL lockout - where could the NHL stars play?

Let say there will be lockout in NHL.
A lot of NHL stars will consider the KHL.
The question is, where we will find Dacjuk, Semin, Malkin, Ovechkin?

In regard to Slovak stars, GM of HC Slovan Bratislava said, he will try to sign with at most stars, as he can (Hossa, Chara, Halak...).

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:56 AM
  #2
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Most important is to know rule - how many NHLers can clubs sign? We dont know this rule. IMO it wont be more than 2 per team. How does rights work?

Malkin is rumoured to Magnitka as I know

I dont think that many euro/NA guys will sign in KHL. We will see.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:11 AM
  #3
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
I think this talk about lockout is still too premature,lets wait and see but as i understand if lockout happens ovechkin-Dynamo Moscow Datsyuk-Avtomobilist and Malkin-Magnitogorsk.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
  #4
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Most important is to know rule - how many NHLers can clubs sign? We dont know this rule. IMO it wont be more than 2 per team. How does rights work?

Malkin is rumoured to Magnitka as I know

I dont think that many euro/NA guys will sign in KHL. We will see.
KHL has a plan in case of NHL lockout, one that they will announce once that the lockout is confirmed.

I think the key points will be:
-Full year commitment to KHL teams
-New players cannot push out any current players out of contracts, so teams need to save space NOW for NHLers

Medveded seems determined to value the current players of KHL, which seems like the right thing to do. On the other hand, how do you say No to some really talented players?

Between a Rock and a Hard place.

Would be absolutely awesome to see Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Syomin line in CSKA. Unfortunately it would mean that players like Gusev and Prokhorkin would not get a chance a KHL this season. Which would be a huge loss.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
  #5
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
KHL has a plan in case of NHL lockout, one that they will announce once that the lockout is confirmed.

I think the key points will be:
-Full year commitment to KHL teams
-New players cannot push out any current players out of contracts, so teams need to save space NOW for NHLers

Medveded seems determined to value the current players of KHL, which seems like the right thing to do. On the other hand, how do you say No to some really talented players?

Between a Rock and a Hard place.

Would be absolutely awesome to see Ovechkin--Syomin line in CSKA. Unfortunately it would mean that players like Gusev and Prokhorkin would not get a chance a KHL this season. Which would be a huge loss.
Arrrgh! Datsyuk ya can't touch, ya filthey moscovites!

You can have Ovechkin and Syomin, as Dynamo pulled out of the race. But Pavel owes us this one. Hope to see him in Kazan and center our 1st line. We need that badly.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
  #6
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Basically there schould be a big-big-bold "SPECULATION" in front of the topic's title. It's too early to tell.

Just a couple of thoughts still:

1. Rules. Medevedev anounced there will be no change to the 5 foreigners rule which cuts on the teams' ability to sign non-russian players. Other rules/rule changes will come after 15th Sept. I think. So we'll have to wait and see.

2. Money. The fat cats(one of which is my team. and I'm happy about that) will be able to sign anybody they want. I mean Ovechkin asked for 3 Mil. That's something the rich teams easily could afford. The not so rich teams just can't do that. And that's a bad thing for the league and for me as a hockey fan, but it's a fact. So we are basically talking about: SKA, CSKA, maybe Loko and Donbass in the West(maybe a swede or two to Atlant ,czechs and slovaks could come to their respective teams too, but I don't expect a whole lot) and AkBars, Avangard, Ufa and Magnitogorsk in the East(I don't think Traktor will be in the race either).

3. Personal bonds. Very important! A lot will depend on who knows who. CSKA is a frontrunner now with Fedorov as GM and a woolsack of money under his seat. I can see Ovechkin go play for CSKA after Dynamo bashed him and knowing of his relationship with Fedorov. No Krasnoyarsk team in the KHL, Ovechkin is more than a friend... I see Syomin go to CSKA easily as well.

Despite the money I would love to see guys like Orlov go home for a year and give Novokuznetsk a boost too.

Emelin I see coming back to Kazan. He should take Markov with him. Would be the best D in the league.

A lot of guys will be undecided an go with money, comfort and first impression of a franchise I think. I see SKA sign one or two, Omsk for sure and Slavat too...

The big mystery cloud around Malkin should disappear soon. I personally would want to see him play for Magnitogorsk. I will be the first at the ticket office for the AkBars-Magnitogorsk game.

As for foreign players it's all crystal ball for now.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:33 PM
  #7
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Would be nice to see:

Voynov come back to Traktor (set up Kuzya
Grachev back to Loko, or to Ufa with Loktionov! (pair up with Filatov)
Yakupov and Kulikov back to Neftekhimik
Fedotenko, Ponikarovsky to Donbass
Antropov to Barys
Kovy to Ak Bars probably, but would be cool to see him with another team

Speaking of helping poorer teams, would be nice to see Grigorenko, Nikitin, Burmistrov, Tyutin join teams like Novokuznetsk, Sibir or Avto. But it looks like Grigs will stay in Q with Kucherov and continue degrading .

Crosby with Malkin in Metallurg would be pretty awesome!

The rest of NHL non-Russian stars would be EXtremely nice to see, but not at the expense of the league integrity.

Another CRAZY idea, if Malkin falls in Scandal with Metallurg (sounds Absurd, I know), he could play in OMSK. I know, it sounds crazy- but together with Popov and Perezhogin we know they can work some magic.


Last edited by Fulcrum: 08-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
  #8
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Arrrgh! Datsyuk ya can't touch, ya filthey moscovites!

You can have Ovechkin and Syomin, as Dynamo pulled out of the race. But Pavel owes us this one. Hope to see him in Kazan and center our 1st line. We need that badly.
Fair enough, but think of the wonders these 3 would do for the National Team. Imagine the chemistry they could develop for the next WC or Olympics!

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:42 PM
  #9
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
http://rt.com/sport/hockey/malkin-ko...l-lockout-723/

Apparently Malkin to CSKA

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:47 PM
  #10
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
A lockout this year would be huge for the KHL, and im guessing there will be a big following of the star players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403991

who could pick Stamkos up? maybe St. Louis will go to Ak-Bars again and Stamkos could join him there.

Would be nice to see Crosby too but judging by the injuries and stuff, maybe he could take it easy in the NLA this year.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:36 PM
  #11
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
A lockout this year would be huge for the KHL, and im guessing there will be a big following of the star players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403991

who could pick Stamkos up? maybe St. Louis will go to Ak-Bars again and Stamkos could join him there.

Would be nice to see Crosby too but judging by the injuries and stuff, maybe he could take it easy in the NLA this year.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see guys like Stamkos, Giroux, Spezza, Perry coming to KHL. I think they'll take an easier, more comfortable option of playing in Germany, Switzerland...

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
  #12
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see guys like Stamkos, Giroux, Spezza, Perry coming to KHL. I think they'll take an easier, more comfortable option of playing in Germany, Switzerland...
money talks

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:17 AM
  #13
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
A lockout this year would be huge for the KHL, and im guessing there will be a big following of the star players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403991

who could pick Stamkos up? maybe St. Louis will go to Ak-Bars again and Stamkos could join him there.

Would be nice to see Crosby too but judging by the injuries and stuff, maybe he could take it easy in the NLA this year.
Russian clubs dont have spots for foreigners. I dont think KHL alllows to sign more foreigners... all statements of Medvedev etc deny it. So lets wait, everything can happen but I dont believe it (more than 5 foreigners in russian clubs)

Malkin to CSKA is funny.... Velichkin from Magnitka said that Magnitogork holds his rights... who knows? To be honest I can not imagine Malkin in other team than Magnitka.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:39 AM
  #14
alko
Registered User
 
alko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
In regard to Malkin and Magnitogorsk. Its all forgotten now? Because he left this club like in deep 80s.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:49 AM
  #15
Theokritos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,665
vCash: 500
If the KHL closes the door on NHL lockout players, the German DEL ("foreigner restriction" is a foreign word there) or another European league (NLA, SM-Liiga?) is likely to become the best league in the world for a period of time...

Spengler Cup is going to be huge.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:21 AM
  #16
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
If the KHL closes the door on NHL lockout players, the German DEL ("foreigner restriction" is a foreign word there) or another European league (NLA, SM-Liiga?) is likely to become the best league in the world for a period of time... Spengler Cup is going to be huge.
While commiting long term suicide by denying thier players to play. That means next season they'll be a notch lower than before NHLers came.

Not to mention, as far as LEAGUE- DEL would have a long way to go. Player wise they might be very talented, but that's not everything.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
  #17
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I think this talk about lockout is still too premature,lets wait and see but as i understand if lockout happens ovechkin-Dynamo Moscow Datsyuk-Avtomobilist and Malkin-Magnitogorsk.
Dynamo Moscow has stated they are better of putting the money on their youth program, is better than to pay a ton of money for Ovi if he just gonna stay for a short period.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:07 AM
  #18
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
Theres also a chance that some players go to some other european club, thought. The Flyers Scott Hartnell asked himself last week if it could be possible to play in KalPa Finland..

KHL is clearly offering the best salaries in europe thought, but some players still might consider SEL - FEL - Germany, Swiss..

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:24 AM
  #19
albator71
Registered User
 
albator71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Theres also a chance that some players go to some other european club, thought. The Flyers Scott Hartnell asked himself last week if it could be possible to play in KalPa Finland..

KHL is clearly offering the best salaries in europe thought, but some players still might consider SEL - FEL - Germany, Swiss..
I agree, I know Nash and Thornton really enjoy playing for Davos during the last lockout.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:35 AM
  #20
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
A lockout this year would be huge for the KHL, and im guessing there will be a big following of the star players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403991

who could pick Stamkos up? maybe St. Louis will go to Ak-Bars again and Stamkos could join him there.

Would be nice to see Crosby too but judging by the injuries and stuff, maybe he could take it easy in the NLA this year.
For Stamkos I see a chance with CSKA. Y and Fedorov, you know...

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:44 AM
  #21
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
In regard to Malkin and Magnitogorsk. Its all forgotten now? Because he left this club like in deep 80s.
Malkin officially anounced today that he WANTS to play for Magnitogorsk in the name of the fans hinting he's not forgotten his issues with the franchise from the past but doesn't want the fans to suffer the consequences. But he also hinted there were money issues to resolve still and left a door open. So he's put a lot of pressure on the management as the fan base will never forgive them a failure to sign him now after Malkin stated his willingness to come so clearly. In a way it's his revenge. Now they have to sign him at his terms. A win-win for him. In case of a lockout he'll have a nice time in Magnitogorsk with a good contract and loved like a god, if there is no lockout he will have pleased the fans anyway.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:52 AM
  #22
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
I case of a lockout late september is going to be huge in Kazan.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:47 AM
  #23
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Can't believe my harmless message was deleted. Damn mods.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:53 AM
  #24
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
As there are limited spots for foreigners in the KHL and they dont really are in need of so many non-Russian NHL'ers (they surely dont wanna make their European imports leave and not come back later) IMO the following would happen:

- Russian NHL'ers go all to KHL (some of the rich teams would have crazy rosters)
- Czechs/Slovaks would join Lev Praha/Slovan Bratislava and some of them would sign contracts in Czech Extraliga
- Norh Americans and other Europeans would go to SEL, SM-liiga, NLA and especially DEL (!!!). Don't forget -> Germany is a huge country with lots of sponsoring opportunities. They could afford the money to have some players of the calibre of Stamkos or St. Louis in Berlin or Mannheim.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
  #25
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
As there are limited spots for foreigners in the KHL and they dont really are in need of so many non-Russian NHL'ers (they surely dont wanna make their European imports leave and not come back later) IMO the following would happen:

- Russian NHL'ers go all to KHL (some of the rich teams would have crazy rosters)
- Czechs/Slovaks would join Lev Praha/Slovan Bratislava and some of them would sign contracts in Czech Extraliga
- Norh Americans and other Europeans would go to SEL, SM-liiga, NLA and especially DEL (!!!). Don't forget -> Germany is a huge country with lots of sponsoring opportunities. They could afford the money to have some players of the calibre of Stamkos or St. Louis in Berlin or Mannheim.
I would agree, I think that's an accurate forecast of what's to happened. I don't think KHL is TOO interested in getting the temporary stars at the expense of integrity.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.