HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Unfortenaly,most people in here don`t read or speak russian.
Can you shortly sesume what its all about?
And how can we make NHL take a brake in february? Yoy know a WC with out the best players are a joke.
ok

- KHL wants to have more games during regular season (RS) than it has now (52). Wants around 70 as I understand. KHL wants to finish RS in april, not february as today.
- biggest problem is WC in May because league has to end play-off a few days before WC, so late april. So KHL can not have more games during RS, if wants to have "normal" play-offs (btw, all series will play played as best of 4 next season, not like best of 3 what was discussed earlier)
- KHL suggested IIHF to organise WC in february, national federation (and NHL PA) were not against the idea according to Shalaev. During olympic year should be no WC.
- Euro Hockey Tour is not a big problem for KHL. If no EHT, KHL would have only a few more games per team (+2 or so), so not big deal. As I wrote, WC in May is problem.
- Shalaev said about scheduling NHL and compared it to KHL (like number of trips, how many games NHL club play during trip etc). He said that some NHL clubs play 7 visit games during one trip, If KHL wanted to adopt it to KHL, many clubs would dont agree

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
ok

- KHL wants to have more games during regular season (RS) than it has now (52). Wants around 70 as I understand. KHL wants to finish RS in april, not february as today.
- biggest problem is WC in May because league has to end play-off a few days before WC, so late april. So KHL can not have more games during RS, if wants to have "normal" play-offs (btw, all series will play played as best of 4 next season, not like best of 3 what was discussed earlier)
- KHL suggested IIHF to organise WC in february, national federation (and NHL PA) were not against the idea according to Shalaev. During olympic year should be no WC.
- Euro Hockey Tour is not a big problem for KHL. If no EHT, KHL would have only a few more games per team (+2 or so), so not big deal. As I wrote, WC in May is problem.
- Shalaev said about scheduling NHL and compared it to KHL (like number of trips, how many games NHL club play during trip etc). He said that some NHL clubs play 7 visit games during one trip, If KHL wanted to adopt it to KHL, many clubs would dont agree
Shalaev is an idiot then. Comparing KHL to NHL in anything is the last thing he should do. The rest of his ideas are so funny its not even worth commenting.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
How on earth complete dissolution of EHT allow only two extra games to played? That simply can't be true. And more thing - why on earth the only time games happen in two consecutive days in playoffs? It's simply stupid. Do it in regular season too, it would not only allow to squeeze in more games but it would prepare players to that happening in playoffs. Following DR it's easy to see how gassed players look in playoffs in second back-to-back game. No wonder they more or less are useless in WC's later.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:45 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
How on earth complete dissolution of EHT allow only two extra games to played? That simply can't be true. And more thing - why on earth the only time games happen in two consecutive days in playoffs? It's simply stupid. Do it in regular season too, it would not only allow to squeeze in more games but it would prepare players to that happening in playoffs. Following DR it's easy to see how gassed players look in playoffs in second back-to-back game. No wonder they more or less are useless in WC's later.
watch video

Old
06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
ozo

Quote:
watch video
Is it in English? And does it really answers my ramblings?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Is it in English? And does it really answers my ramblings?
russian

Old
06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
cydas

I don't like the fact KHL is trying to change the entire face of the hockey world even though the entire league is pretty much a playground for the select inviduals who have too much money in their hands and could draw their funding away at any point

cydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Well I guess in Russia they have different understanding of math than the rest of the world.

I assume you meant best of 7?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Well I guess in Russia they have different understanding of math than the rest of the world.

I assume you meant best of 7?
dont know why you are blaming Russia.. yes, my fault, best of 7.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydas View Post
I don't like the fact KHL is trying to change the entire face of the hockey world even though the entire league is pretty much a playground for the select inviduals who have too much money in their hands and could draw their funding away at any point
I like this fact. They're trying to weaken influence of IIHF about hockey in Europe. I'm pan-europian league fan. René Fasel doesn't want pan-ueropean league. In fact, I was dreaming about pan-euro with center of gravity in West Europe...

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
I like this fact. They're trying to weaken influence of IIHF about hockey in Europe. I'm pan-europian league fan. René Fasel doesn't want pan-ueropean league. In fact, I was dreaming about pan-euro with center of gravity in West Europe...
If Rene Fasel was against a pan-European league, he wouldn't have been so heavily involved in the Champions league/cup. Personally I'm not in favor of such because hockey just can't support it, sport is simply too small. I wouldn't mind a Nordic league with around 10 teams from each country (ie. Finland and Sweden) with relegation and promotion.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
So this basically proves then that he cares more about flexing his muscles as fast as possible toward america then he does about creating a stable high-end hockey league...

Same old quick fixes with no regard for consequenses but with promises of greatness, any historian wanna bet what happens next?
Star Wars?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:56 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

64 is too much. There would have to be 2 teirs at least and I don't know why a non Russian team would want to be in the 2nd division of the KHL.

THe question is are there 10-15 Western European cities who will support teams. If you get this you make a strong 25 team KHL *kick out a few Russian teams* to go head to head with the NHL.

London
Manchester
Stockholm
Copenhagen
Helsinki
3-6 German teams
Milan
Geneva
Basel
Zurich

You have these and the richest 10 maybe 15 KHL teams and you got yourself a damn good league that will have to be respected.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
René Fasel doesn't want pan-ueropean league.
In fact, when the European Hockey League was started in the 1990s, Fasel said the aim was to build a pan-european league similiar to the NHL.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
In fact, when the European Hockey League was started in the 1990s, Fasel said the aim was to build a pan-european league similiar to the NHL.
Actually, I remember what he said last year in Toronto. It was something like, pan-european league ??? Only, over my corpse. Is it right ?

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Actually, I remember what he said last year in Toronto. It was something like, pan-european league ??? Only, over my corpse. Is it right ?
No, it was a pan-European league with out IIHF co-operation/approval that he was talking about. League run by clubs, and not a general organization. Which is true, you can't do one without IIHF.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
64 is too much. There would have to be 2 teirs at least and I don't know why a non Russian team would want to be in the 2nd division of the KHL.

THe question is are there 10-15 Western European cities who will support teams. If you get this you make a strong 25 team KHL *kick out a few Russian teams* to go head to head with the NHL.

London
Manchester
Stockholm
Copenhagen
Helsinki
3-6 German teams
Milan
Geneva
Basel
Zurich

You have these and the richest 10 maybe 15 KHL teams and you got yourself a damn good league that will have to be respected.
You can add Zagreb on that list as well. Even if that league never see the lights of the day, Medvedev already expressed wish to see Medvescak in KHL. Medvescak has passionate and loyal fanbase and have big Arena (15.200) where they already played 11 games in previous two ebel seasons.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

2 teams in England is silly, 1 at most as an "out of market" experiment

Milan is also silly

also, 3 teams in Switzerland and only 2 from Sweden seems a bit....unbalanced.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:01 AM
QnebO

Make league of ~30 with team from european capitals, and from biggest countries couple of teams.. The arenas would have potentional to be allways about sold out, player salaries could become great, future datsyuks and granlunds maybe wouldnt leave Europe. That would be working concept, not some russian-easterneuropean league with some european teams, europe must be the main concern. I still would agree multiple teams from Russia.

I think teams would have new names, dont see Jokerit or HIFK ever playing KHL

Helsinki City High rollers
Stockholm Meatballs
Berlin Pilsners
London Tea-baggers
Moscow Kosmonauts
And so on.. Big european league it should be

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Make league of ~30 with team from european capitals, and from biggest countries couple of teams.. The arenas would have potentional to be allways about sold out, player salaries could become great, future datsyuks and granlunds maybe wouldnt leave Europe. That would be working concept, not some russian-easterneuropean league with some european teams, europe must be the main concern. I still would agree multiple teams from Russia.

I think teams would have new names, dont see Jokerit or HIFK ever playing KHL

Helsinki City High rollers
Stockholm Meatballs
Berlin Pilsners
London Tea-baggers
Moscow Kosmonauts
And so on.. Big european league it should be
Those are the most steroetypical team names ive ever seen

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:38 AM
perklunt
smaržas parfume.lv

KHL and Russia will never decrease the number of their teams, no way.

perklunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:28 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklunt View Post
It will happen naturally. Voskresensk, Togliatti, Balashikh, Novokuznetsk...

Old
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklunt View Post
yes they will, unless they want KHL to stay minor league forever.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:03 PM
VladNYC

They MAY decrease some teams BUT even the worst KHL teams have a budget higher then the majority of teams in Europe and are probably of higher quality as well. So it's hard to say to a team like Avto who put their money on the line, that they aren't as important as some reluctant team from europe that we would have to finance anyway.

Until European teams are committed with their own money and standing on their own two feet, I am against reducing the number of Russian teams in the KHL by any amount, minus maybe Vityaz for obvious reasons.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:13 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
They MAY decrease some teams BUT even the worst KHL teams have a budget higher then the majority of teams in Europe and are probably of higher quality as well. So it's hard to say to a team like Avto who put their money on the line, that they aren't as important as some reluctant team from europe that we would have to finance anyway.

Until European teams are committed with their own money and standing on their own two feet, I am against reducing the number of Russian teams in the KHL by any amount, minus maybe Vityaz for obvious reasons.
Vityaz is the last team that should be kicked out. Half of the people who know KHL know it thanks to them.