HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
07-01-2012, 08:11 AM
croAVSfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So why croatia is still not able to get in the Elite?(World championships?)it looks like you have got all the right ingredients for beeing a great hockey country? whats the "missing piece" so to speak?
Well, it is not that easy. First of all we lack infrastrucutre, tradition (only Zagreb and Sisak are hockey strongholds with over 80 yrs tradition of playing). We lack player base, we lack good coaches for youngsters. Main preoccupation of coaches for young players is how to collect money from parents. There are lot of negativity in our hockey that our federation is trying to hide with EBEL euphoria.

Of course, EBEL ressurect our hockey from media darkness (why is that I explained already in my previous posts), but there is lot of work to do to get our, croatian, hockey to higher level. Medvescak is another story. That is "private" club who is financied with private and sponsor money(unlike most clubs in croatia, with "healthy" money). For most croatian hockey fans our role model how to improve hockey on state level is Slovenia and Hungary. But yes, we are talented nation for team sports in general, but hockey is way more complex sport than any other team sport.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:12 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
So do you think KHL team will help croatian hockey,especially producing some young guys who could play for croatian national team?
Answer in my previous answer

Old
07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
Answer in my previous answer
Well i was thinking if guys get an khl franchise you will proabably also will get an mhl team (junior league) where to develop your young guys.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:16 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well, it is not that easy. First of all we lack infrastrucutre, tradition (only Zagreb and Sisak are hockey strongholds with over 80 yrs tradition of playing). We lack player base, we lack good coaches for youngsters. Main preoccupation of coaches for young players is how to collect money from parents. There are lot of negativity in our hockey that our federation is trying to hide with EBEL euphoria.

Of course, EBEL ressurect our hockey from media darkness (why is that I explained already in my previous posts), but there is lot of work to do to get our, croatian, hockey to higher level. Medvescak is another story. That is "private" club who is financied with private and sponsor money(unlike most clubs in croatia, with "healthy" money). For most croatian hockey fans our role model how to improve hockey on state level is Slovenia and Hungary. But yes, we are talented nation for team sports in general, but hockey is way more complex sport than any other team sport.
Well i hope it all works out for you guys,best of luck!

Old
07-01-2012, 08:21 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Well i was thinking if guys get an khl franchise you will proabably also will get an mhl(junior league) where to develop your young guys.

Hmm...I am not sure about that...how much young Riga "costs" for one season ?

Problem is that in Croatia there is no good enough players for that kind of league. Yes, we played very close game against Kazahstan (losing only 4:3) last year at U20, but I don't know how strong that Kazahstan is ? If they are strong as their MHL team "Shneznye Bars Astana", then we maybe could have MHL team reinforced with some foregin overage players.

Second problem is...who knows if Russians would accept to travel to Croatia because of "junior" game.

Best way to develop players, from croatian point of view, is to send them in strong hockey countries and then "regrut" them for KHL team... I don't see any other oportunity given the ****y conditions for juniors players in my country.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Just like the team close to the China's border.. Amur Habarovsk

What kind of business is that, who watches hockey in asia? [/IMG]
Khabarovsk is a great hockey city. You don't know what you are talking about.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Hmm...I am not sure about that...how much young Riga "costs" for one season ?

Problem is that in Croatia there is no good enough players for that kind of league. Yes, we played very close game against Kazahstan (losing only 4:3) last year at U20, but I don't know how strong that Kazahstan is ? If they are strong as their MHL team "Shneznye Bars Astana", then we maybe could have MHL team reinforced with some foregin overage players.

Second problem is...who knows if Russians would accept to travel to Croatia because of "junior" game.

Best way to develop players is to send them in strong hockey countries and then "regrut" them for KHL team... I don't see any other oportunity given the ****y conditions for juniors players in my country.

I dont know exact costs but be have two teams one in MHL and other in MHL-B,i think this is great way to develop our young guys.
Well lets wait and see how things turn out.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:38 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

MHL A club costs around 800 000 euro, MHL B half of this. All depends on travelling costs.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
QnebO

Quote:
LOL khabarovsk has the highest attendence in whole khl,hockey is very popular and very much liked there
Wow well thats good then, we were joking about it during World Championships with my friends, when we heard Mäenpää telling on interview that hes team is that far, and didint even talk about the fans or stuff.. so expected hockey as small sport to not have much fans there. But here I must be glad to be wrong, its great if they have some hockey mania down there. KHL is doing something good for the sport down there.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Wow well thats good then, we were joking about it during World Championships with my friends, when we heard Mäenpää telling on interview that hes team is that far, and didint even talk about the fans or stuff.. so expected hockey as small sport to not have much fans there. But here I must be glad to be wrong, its great if they have some hockey mania down there. KHL is doing something good for the sport down there.
Just because its far from europe doesnt mean it has no hockey traditions

Old
07-01-2012, 11:49 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

As I know Khabavorsk has sold out all games since 2008. I dont have stats before 2008 year, so... Even juniors play-off (MHL) can attract above 5000 fans

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Hockey is not a new thing in Khabarovsk. I believe Amur has played in the top level for the most of the last 20 years. The great Alexander Mogilny is also a product of the Amur hockey school

Old
07-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Theokritos

Khabarovsk played in the Soviet League (third tier) from 1966 on. Not the most traditional of all clubs, but older than Jokerit Helsinki for example.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:30 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Silly because its frickin Italy.nobody cares about hockey in italy.
and why does that matter at all?

you think Dallas was full of hockey fans before the Stars?

you guys want the KHL to be a major international league like the NHL, so you better get used to non-traditional markets

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
you guys want the KHL to be a major international league like the NHL, so you better get used to non-traditional markets
I think that comparing a non-traditional region of a country where hockey still is a well-known and successful game to Italy is a mistake.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Theokritos

"Non-traditional" markets

You guys are aware that Milan had one of the best hockey teams in Europe in the early 1990s? Defeated Turku in 1991, then Trencín, Düsseldorf and Bern in 1992, then Sparta Prague, Tivali Minsk and - again - Düsseldorf in 1993. They finished fourth in the 92-93 and in the 93-94 European Cup. During the late 1980s and early 1990s Kent Nilsson, Jari Kurri, Mark Napier and Jaromír Jágr all played in Italy.

As for Great Britain: Look up "Manchester Storm" on Wikipedia. They averaged 6,342 spectators when they were in the second (!) tier and drew 17,245 spectators in one game in 1997 when they were in the first tier. The potential is there. Poprad was nothing in comparison. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Storm

Old
07-02-2012, 05:04 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
and why does that matter at all?

I want nothing I`m latvian not russian all i care considering KHL is Dinamo Riga and latvian players in the league.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I think that comparing a non-traditional region of a country where hockey still is a well-known and successful game to Italy is a mistake.
Italy has FAR more hockey tradition than the southern U.S.

Italy was one of the earliest IIHF members, and as Theokritos points out - have had some of the most successful clubs in Europe in the past.

Just because the northern U.S. has a long history of hockey doesn't mean anything. The north and south of the U.S. are historically very culturally divided.

Milan is a major international city - there's no reason a hockey team can't be successful there.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Khabarovsk is a great hockey city. You don't know what you are talking about.
Says the person who's never been there...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Says the person who's never been there...
So what you are saying that you have to visit Khabarovsk to know it is a good hockey city?

It is not enough to know that every Amur game is sold out and their MHL team draws as many spectators as the KHL teams of Spartak and CSKA?

Old
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Italy has FAR more hockey tradition than the southern U.S.

Italy was one of the earliest IIHF members, and as Theokritos points out - have had some of the most successful clubs in Europe in the past.

Just because the northern U.S. has a long history of hockey doesn't mean anything. The north and south of the U.S. are historically very culturally divided.

Milan is a major international city - there's no reason a hockey team can't be successful there.
Except that no one cares about hockey in Milan.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Omark

Quote:
Milan's hockey team Milano Rossoblu played last year in their second best league and their average attendance was 2000+.

So, don't talk about things you don't know anything. North Italy is great hockey market.

Videos of Milano Rossoblu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRx1Y...feature=relmfu

Omark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
I guess more people in Milan care about Hockey than in Los Angeles anno 1960 or San Jose anno 1990. Why not give it a try, it's their money.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark View Post
their average attendance was 2000+.
There might be some popularity but a jump up from somewhere around 2000 fans to say 8000 is a big one so they would have to get this completely figured out first

Last edited by vsk92: 07-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
There might be some popularity but a jump up from somewhere around 2000 fans to say 8000 is a big one so they would have to get this completely figured out first
8000? KHL average is ~5000. LEV Poprad was considered a success with less than that.