HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
You're entirely right. Jussi is just being short sighted.
More like realistic. I like to think i know the Finnish economic and sports situation much better than you nor vorky.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Finnish companies don't have much interest in Russia due and they're not doing so well either. Don't even start about Nokia... Different country, different economics. Finnish clubs have already said their sponsors aren't much interested in KHL, the sponsorship market is already at it's peak with a lot companies cutting down on sponsoring due to the economic situation.
vorky is right here IMO. The same thing you are talking about is happening in SLovakia to for several years... still they have money for a KHL budget. The current SM liiga teams sponsors saying otherwise doesnt mean much, because there would pop up new sponsors if they could enter KHL market. There are companies for sure which are not interested in local hockey, but would jump on KHL boat IMO.

Im not saying somebody in Finland should form a KHL team or anything, thats completely your business. But if they did, I think it wouldnt be a problem because of money.

zorz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Except that no one cares about hockey in Milan.
I probably wouldn't be interested in a league with the talent level of the Italian league either, especially with the Swiss and German leagues so close.

A KHL team, however, would probably get me to open up my wallet occasionally since I wouldn't have to go anywhere.

Take Zagreb for example.

Before EBEL: 200 fans per game
After EBEL: 8,000 fans per game.

I'm sure people thought Zagreb didn't care about hockey not that long ago as well.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I probably wouldn't be interested in a league with the talent level of the Italian league either, especially with the Swiss and German leagues so close.

A KHL team, however, would probably get me to open up my wallet occasionally since I wouldn't have to go anywhere.

Take Zagreb for example.

Before EBEL: 200 fans per game
After EBEL: 8,000 fans per game.

I'm sure people thought Zagreb didn't care about hockey not that long ago as well.
Your statistic is correct, but Zagreb is one exception. Due to many years being under Yugoslavia Medvescak largely depended on Jesenice - Olimpija and to some extent Partizan rivalry. When Yugoslavia broke up in 1991. Medvescak were caught in no man's land, big sponsor, known as Gortan (building company) left the club, Jesenice and Olimpija joined Alpe league, and only games were local "rivalies" with two other Zagreb's clubs.

Before break up of Yugoslavia, Medvescak had big crowd as well as today because they played league that were maybe little weaker than today's ebel.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
cydas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Look, I have experience with KHL clubs in my country, you dont. So, I have more info than you. Slovan has sponsors which had in slovak league but sponsors give now more than before (KHL is bigger market). Plus Slovan has new sponsors which are interested in russian market. I see no reason why this should not work in Finland or elsewhere. Btw Finland has bigger companies than Slovakia, am I right?
About operating a finnish KHL team with small budget, we are a western country, we can't fly our players with terror planes to save money... In fact those aren't even allowed to enter Finland if I'm correct...

cydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydas View Post
About operating a finnish KHL team with small budget, we are a western country, we can't fly our players with terror planes to save money... In fact those aren't even allowed to enter Finland if I'm correct...
Latvia, Slovakia and Czech Republic are also EU countries.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
cydas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Latvia, Slovakia and Czech Republic are also EU countries.
Yeah, and that makes me wonder. But one thing is for certain, Finnish media really loves scandals and flying our players with unsafe planes to save money would cause a massive sh*tstorm

cydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
zorz

Quote:
Yeah, and that makes me wonder. But one thing is for certain, Finnish media really loves scandals and flying our players with unsafe planes to save money would cause a massive sh*tstorm
planes crash from time to time no matter how safe they are.

zorz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
what? Airbus and Boeing can not fly across finish borders? IMO only coutry in the world...

As you know only Airbus and Boeing have KHL licence

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
supermasif

The biggest problem when it comes to expanding the KHL into western europe, that isn't being mentioned enough, is the fact that western european countries have much higher tax rates than russia.

No sane person would think of the idea of creating a new team in lets say Stockholm, try and attract people to the games and somehow manage to get sponsors willing to shell out KHL style salaries. A team in Stockholm would need two or three times the budget of those based in Russia to do this.

supermasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermasif View Post
The biggest problem when it comes to expanding the KHL into western europe, that isn't being mentioned enough, is the fact that western european countries have much higher tax rates than russia.

No sane person would think of the idea of creating a new team in lets say Stockholm, try and attract people to the games and somehow manage to get sponsors willing to shell out KHL style salaries. A team in Stockholm would need two or three times the budget of those based in Russia to do this.
I always thought NHL has to deal with big variety in taxes between states in USA and Canada too, no?

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I always thought NHL has to deal with big variety in taxes between states in USA and Canada too, no?
there was a chart, but yes on a 7 million dollar contract you can see a difference of 1 million dollars after it's all told, although that's just if you take it straight up as income, I seriously doubt they do it without some tax loophole using.

It wouldn't be even close to the same when compared to Russia vs Finland or Sweden, it would be much worse in Europe

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermasif View Post

Soccer Champions League says hello....

Old
07-04-2012, 05:23 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

google translate
Quote:
Riga "Dinamo" for the 2011 players paid the amount of $ 7.93 million dollars in salaries, writes LETA with reference to the audit company Lursoft.

According to the Lursoft, 7,93 million spent on players, the cost of training camps and transporting teams during the season amounted to 3.69 million in salary staff team spent 1.19 million (this includes staff, MHL Hockey club "Riga" and "Juniors ") for salary management - 730 000.

Turnover totaled 14.56 million club of dollars, and profit - 144,000 (an increase of 33% compared to 2010, and in 2009 the club was at a loss).

In the playoffs-2011 Riga "Dinamo" got to the quarterfinals, losing to "Locomotive", hitting the end of the eight strongest clubs in the KHL. In the playoffs, lost in 2012 from Riga "Torpedo" in the first round with a score of 3-4 in the series.
http://www.sports.ru/hockey/14183036...medium=twitter

Old
07-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
vorky is right here IMO. The same thing you are talking about is happening in SLovakia to for several years... still they have money for a KHL budget. The current SM liiga teams sponsors saying otherwise doesnt mean much, because there would pop up new sponsors if they could enter KHL market. There are companies for sure which are not interested in local hockey, but would jump on KHL boat IMO.

Im not saying somebody in Finland should form a KHL team or anything, thats completely your business. But if they did, I think it wouldnt be a problem because of money.
Practically every week we have news of companies laying off people, I suggest you people do some research on the current state of Finnish economy if you think there's money just lying around in Finland.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I must've missed the news about a new football club from Stockholm making the UCL...

Old
07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
ozo

Quote:
Did anyone who didn't (or can't) read that Russian article understood what google translate "said" in this post?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Did anyone who didn't (or can't) read that Russian article understood what google translate "said" in this post?
I have no idea what is said. People really shouldn't use Google translate unless they want troll or "be funny".

Old
07-04-2012, 01:00 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I have no idea what is said. People really shouldn't use Google translate unless they want troll or "be funny".
so read original article in russian if you want.
Dinamo Riga paid players 7,93 mio dollars during 2011 year, bughet was 14,56 mio dollars and 144 000 dollars profit (33% increase to 2010 year). As I understand it is for 2011 year, no season.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
ozo

Quote:
144 000 dollars profit (33% increase to 2010 year). As I understand it is for 2011 year, no season.
Lets not call it profit, it's basically a leftover.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Yeah, that's nothing on that level.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
so read original article in russian if you want.
You know what, I'm going to start posting links for Finnish articles and not translate them either.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
perklunt
smaržas parfume.lv

Quote:
You know what, I'm going to start posting links for Finnish articles and not translate them either.

perklunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
supermasif

Quote:
What's your point? That's a european-wide tournament, not a league. You can't compare the KHL with UEFA champions league, I hope you understand that. Naturally, swedish, finnish, german and swiss teams think twice about joining the KHL because of tax reasons.

supermasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Warrant*

It might not be a good business venture for the KHL but bringing hockey to many countries that don't have it at the level of the KHL would be all around win for the sport of hockey. I am pulling for them to succeed.

Warrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
VladNYC

Quote:
In the KHL that is a good accomplishment and with out the KHL it would be the Salary of 3 Latvian players.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote