HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread Part IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2012, 05:15 AM
  #101
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
I Dont see Columbus picking Murray.

They got Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin and Marc Methoc with expensive contracts. Also, i guess they resign Nikita Nikitin. And they got John Moore, former first-rounder in 2009.

They need Forwards, and with the second pick, i think its Forsberg or Galchenyuk, with Forsberg as a leader in this race.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 07:05 AM
  #102
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
I Dont see Columbus picking Murray.

They got Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin and Marc Methoc with expensive contracts. Also, i guess they resign Nikita Nikitin. And they got John Moore, former first-rounder in 2009.

They need Forwards, and with the second pick, i think its Forsberg or Galchenyuk, with Forsberg as a leader in this race.
You do not draft for need. Especially when are drafting high year after year. Would you pass on Galchenyuk because we are stocked at Center? I mean who knows how they will all pan out you can not put all your eggs in one basket.

Murray is disliked by Islanders fans for one reason or another yet there is a very real possibility the kid is taken in the top two.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 07:30 AM
  #103
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,410
vCash: 600
Here's the best argument for picking Grigorenko:

2005 NHL Draft -- 1st Round
PK TEAM PLAYER
1. Penguins Sidney Crosby, C
2. Ducks Bobby Ryan, RW
3. Hurricanes Jack Johnson, D
4. Wild Benoit Pouliot, LW
5. Canadiens Carey Price, G
6. Jackets Gilbert Brule, C
7. Blackhawks Jack Skille, RW
8. San Jose (from ATL) Devin Setoguchi, RW
9. Senators Brian Lee, D
10. Canucks Luc Bourdon, D
11. Kings Anze Kopitar, C

Kopitar was ranked generally top 5 that year, but he fell due to inconsistency concerns. So teams went with less risky picks like Pouliot, Brule and Skille.

On the other hand, why do I have this small concern that someday we'll call him "GroggyRenko"?

doublechili is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:03 AM
  #104
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Kopitar was ranked generally top 5 that year, but he fell due to inconsistency concerns. So teams went with less risky picks like Pouliot, Brule and Skille.
I think the big thing against Kopitar was the fact he was from Slovenia(ie a country not know for Hockey)

boredmale is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:04 AM
  #105
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Here's the best argument for picking Grigorenko:

2005 NHL Draft -- 1st Round
PK TEAM PLAYER
1. Penguins Sidney Crosby, C
2. Ducks Bobby Ryan, RW
3. Hurricanes Jack Johnson, D
4. Wild Benoit Pouliot, LW
5. Canadiens Carey Price, G
6. Jackets Gilbert Brule, C
7. Blackhawks Jack Skille, RW
8. San Jose (from ATL) Devin Setoguchi, RW
9. Senators Brian Lee, D
10. Canucks Luc Bourdon, D
11. Kings Anze Kopitar, C

Kopitar was ranked generally top 5 that year, but he fell due to inconsistency concerns. So teams went with less risky picks like Pouliot, Brule and Skille.

On the other hand, why do I have this small concern that someday we'll call him "GroggyRenko"?
BINGO! However, there will bea crowd that brings up the Filatov's of the world or our very own Yashin.

That aside, what I love is how much the MEDIA plays into whom fans want. I follows drafts evry closely because fore one I like teams that tend to pick very high i.e. Islanders and Buffalo Bills. I notice more so in football than hockey they are smoke screens and misdirection all the time.

How often teams leak info out about players and their "opinions" on players only to on and select said player. How possible is it teams like the Leafs for example send the media bad vibes about Grigs only to hope that the kid could potentially slide to them.

I am not saying that is the case or making stuff up to cover for what people call "work ethic issues" but there have been plenty of players in the past nabbed with that same title who have went on to be very successful.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:06 AM
  #106
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
You do not draft for need. Especially when are drafting high year after year.
This. Just because they have a buncha defensemen at the moment does not tip their pick at all. You draft for the future and always (should at least always) draft the BPA, also just cause some see Murray as capable of stepping into the NHL lineup next year doesn't mean he will or should.

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
  #107
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Do you say that b/c they're apparently the only ones who have visited LI?
Yes.

Quote:
A couple of caveats: I don't think it was public knowledge that Bailey visited LI until AFTER the draft. And, the Isles seem to be doing things a little differently this year, with not interviewing at the Combine and all. So no LI visits (or public announcements, anyway) may not be dispositive.
Wasn't it pretty well documented that they had Bailey in for a visit before the draft? I think that was big news because only Boston and NYI flew him in for interviews. I remember that being big talk on draft day and in the days thereafter.

Quote:
I'll safely say that one of Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray, Reinhart, Rielly, Dumba, Faksa, Grigorenko or Ceci will be the Isles' pick.
Sheesh, way to narrow down.

Now watch Snow move the pick.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:09 AM
  #108
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
For all out talk about #4, I still think it's possible the Isles trade for the #1 pick. Edm apparently really likes Murray and Reinhart, and they'd be almost guaranteed to get one of them at #4, if not have their choice of either. No point in Edm trading down to #2 or #3. And TOR may be too far at #5. If Edm deals, it's with the Isles, IMO.
Why do them that favor???

Let them take who they REALLY want at 1 and then profit from the fallout.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:30 AM
  #109
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
in my opinion the only reason we trade up to Number 2 or even Number 1 is to take Galchenyuk ahead of Montreal and Columbus. I really feel he is our top target and the issue is how to keep either Columbus or Montreal from beating us to him. Based on so much of the writing going on here and on the web (TSN, ESPN, etc.) there is so much difference of opinion on these top 5-10 prospects that all of us are guessing right now on who is going where. If we really want one person over another it will likely cost us something to buy the insurance so that we get that player. If Garth is pretty much agnostic over the top 5-10 then we just stay where we are and look to maybe trade down 2-3 slots and pick up another asset while still getting one of the players in the Top 10.

Maybe Faksa at #8 plus an asset if Galchenyuk is not there (Carolina sends us a defensemen) or maybe Winnipeg has someone we like to swap our offers their second).

It all comes down to who we REALLY want, if ANYONE sticks out in the Top 10.

G*d, the next seven days are going to be fun to watch unfold! I don't remember another year like this recently where the league-wide chatter has been like this! No one seems to be fully set on who they are going to draft, even Edmonton.

leeroggy is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
  #110
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Why do them that favor???

Let them take who they REALLY want at 1 and then profit from the fallout.
Because there isa good chance as a franchise they pick Nail because that is the move that needs to be made. Moving out would allow them to justify taking Murray or Reinhart. I think a good deal of Oilers fans would be heated (no [pun intended) if the Oilers do not take the consensus #1 overall player.

Kinda like the whole Tavares or Hedman debate that was going back and forth around here when we owned the #1 overall pick. You could justify to a degee taking Hedman but the fact of the matter is the franchise NEEDED to take JT one way or the other.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
  #111
Beastrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
The 5 guys i can see Garth picking

1) Forsberg- Does everything above-average (50-50 he is available)
2) Galchenyuk-Bpa super-star skill injury is a question mark (25-75 available) Im thinking grigs will fall and Montreal takes him at 3

3) Rielly- will pick him even if murray is available. likely gone at 7 so would not trade down. is the best offensive defensman in the draft a higher ceiling then murray comparable to karlsson

Trade down candidates
4) Teravainen- good skating and skill- they could pick him at 4 if forsberg and Galchenyuk arent there but would likey trade down

5) Reinhart- Could go at any spot in the top 10 Good size and should be a good two way d-man

Beastrt is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 09:11 AM
  #112
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
You do not draft for need. Especially when are drafting high year after year. Would you pass on Galchenyuk because we are stocked at Center? I mean who knows how they will all pan out you can not put all your eggs in one basket.

Murray is disliked by Islanders fans for one reason or another yet there is a very real possibility the kid is taken in the top two.
I don't see a lot of dislike for Murray.

I think it is more that there is no consensus pick among NYI fans for 4th overall.Some want Murray,some want Galchenyuk,some want Dumba.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 09:14 AM
  #113
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Why do them that favor???

Let them take who they REALLY want at 1 and then profit from the fallout.
I agree.

The night the Oilers won the draft lottery,I posted it benefitted the NYI.Before that night,I thought Edmonton was the top 3 team most likely to draft Murray.Now with their draft lottery win,I thought we would see Murray slide past Edmonton,down to the NYI at #4.

I expect Snow to stand pat and for Murray to be available at #4.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 09:49 AM
  #114
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't see a lot of dislike for Murray.

I think it is more that there is no consensus pick among NYI fans for 4th overall.Some want Murray,some want Galchenyuk,some want Dumba.
I have seen a lot of Islanders fans talking about Murray the same way they did Couturier last year. They feel the kid is what you see is what you get and his ceiling is low. At least that's the vibe most folks have been giving off.

That b eing said I am getting more and more of a gut feeling it will be between Dumba and Reinhart.
Strome- Flashy hands YoutTube sensation
Nino- Took over the tournament and flashy YouTube highlight guy
Tavares- Obviously a flashy highlight reel crafty kid who was all over YouTube

Thus, there is Dumba the booming shot human hit machine... All over YouTube... basically we have been drafting based on YouTube seeing as how we don't have any real scouts lol. j/k j/k

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
  #115
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
I'm thinking we either get the opportunity to draft Grigs or Murray. If Murray is there, we take him, but if Grigs is there then I also think we should be taking him. I wish Galchenyuk would fall to us but I just don't see it happening as Montreal will most likely scoop him up.

Islanderfan17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:03 AM
  #116
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,308
vCash: 50
Grigs is going to be picked by MTL!!! The Roy connection, the big, playmaking center with a Joe Thornton ceiling and Malking comparisons. He had mono, an ankle injury, and from what I saw took minute or longer shifts, something that with an NHL coaching staff can be fixed. Three is way to high to gamble on Galchenyuk. Four? Nope

seafoam is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  #117
TROLLPOSO
Registered User
 
TROLLPOSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Grigs is going to be picked by MTL!!! The Roy connection, the big, playmaking center with a Joe Thornton ceiling and Malking comparisons. He had mono, an ankle injury, and from what I saw took minute or longer shifts, something that with an NHL coaching staff can be fixed. Three is way to high to gamble on Galchenyuk. Four? Nope
From your mouth to Bergevin and Snow's ears.

Nail
Forsberg
Grigs
Galy

TROLLPOSO is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
  #118
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I'm thinking we either get the opportunity to draft Grigs or Murray. If Murray is there, we take him, but if Grigs is there then I also think we should be taking him. I wish Galchenyuk would fall to us but I just don't see it happening as Montreal will most likely scoop him up.
I agree with this, I think some varient of Yakupov, Forsberg and Galchenyuk go 1-2-3, and that leaves us with a choice of Grigorenko or Murray. I just have a feeling it's going to be Murray, though my preference is Grigorenko. Would not be shocked if the Isles pass up both and go with one of Rielly, Dumba or Reinhart. Though I think they go with Murray or Grigorenko.

scott99 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  #119
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,308
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
From your mouth to Bergevin and Snow's ears.

Nail
Forsberg
Grigs
Galy
Bingo! The emergence of Jack Johnson makes it easier to pass on Murray. With Nash on his way out they need a premier foward.

Columbus has, Wiz, JJ, Tyutin, their gonna resign Nikita as they are a pair, Methot, Moore, Savard, Goloubef, and many more!!!

Their top foward prospects are Atkinson, Calvert, Sedlak, Jenner, and Chaput. Yeesh!!!

seafoam is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
  #120
gramatanboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Westport
Country: United States
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree with this, I think some varient of Yakupov, Forsberg and Galchenyuk go 1-2-3, and that leaves us with a choice of Grigorenko or Murray. I just have a feeling it's going to be Murray, though my preference is Grigorenko. Would not be shocked if the Isles pass up both and go with one of Rielly, Dumba or Reinhart. Though I think they go with Murray or Grigorenko.
I agree. I would also prefer Grigorenko, but think that Murray will be the choice at #4with Grigs being drafted at #5 by Toronto, whose fans will then proclaim that Grigs was the steal of the century!! Only 7 days and a few 7 1/2 hours to go!!


Last edited by gramatanboy: 06-15-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
gramatanboy is online now  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
  #121
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
This. Just because they have a buncha defensemen at the moment does not tip their pick at all. You draft for the future and always (should at least always) draft the BPA, also just cause some see Murray as capable of stepping into the NHL lineup next year doesn't mean he will or should.
I agree with you that you should never draft for need, BUT....Columbus has a GM that will not be there years from now if the team doesn't show serious improvement this year. It would be best for the TEAM to think long term, but he may be tempted to try and grab immediate help at forward, if he thinks a Forsberg/Grigorenko could step in this year.

kasper11 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
  #122
firel28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
To Edmonton: 4th,34th,prospect

To Islanders: 1st,63rd

Too much,too little,not worth it?

firel28 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
  #123
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,534
vCash: 500
Are scouts picking apart the games of Murray and Nail,with only 1 week left before the draft?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...mckenzie-says/
Nail Yakupov no longer regarded as “can’t miss” after playoffs, TSN’s Bob McKenzie says
June 14, 2012
Hockey draft insider Bob McKenzie, who regularly surveys scouts for their opinions on draft-eligible players, says that Nail Yakupov’s stock has dropped a bit with some scouts after his playoff performance. Some no longer see the young Russian as a can’t miss franchise player.

“It’s a tough call for Edmonton,” McKenzie told B.D. Gallof. “… You step up and take one of them and not worry about others saying Yakupov is the clear or consensus choice at No. 1.”


http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ffensive-game/
How good is Ryan Murray’s offensive game?
June 15
there are questions about his ability to be an offensive difference maker..

Three scouts that THN talked to listed three different comparable players – Luke Schenn, Nick Schultz and Karl Alzner, all defense-first players with minimal offensive impact.

Murray’s best match by points-per-game above is either Rostislav Klesla or Karl Alzner; his best match in terms of percentage of team offense is Jay Bouwmeester. I’d suggest that Bouwmeester (of late a reliable 25-30 point man; peaking at 46 points early in his career) is a reasonable outer marker for Murray’s production at the NHL level

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:54 AM
  #124
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Bingo! The emergence of Jack Johnson makes it easier to pass on Murray. With Nash on his way out they need a premier foward.

Columbus has, Wiz, JJ, Tyutin, their gonna resign Nikita as they are a pair, Methot, Moore, Savard, Goloubef, and many more!!!

Their top foward prospects are Atkinson, Calvert, Sedlak, Jenner, and Chaput. Yeesh!!!
I wouldn't exactly say the islanders have a strong pool of defensive prospects. However, if Galchenyuk is there most every Islander fan is going to be crossing their fingers that we take the kid. Meanwhile, there is a good if not perfect chance Dumba, Rielly and Reinhart are all there for the taking.

You simply can not take NEEDS when you are selecting high in the draft. The Pens had Crosby and Malkin down the middle did that prevent them from taking Staal? Absolutely not, this is because you add the most talent to your roster as possible regardless of position.

Talent will find a way onto the ice regardless of position. You can not look at your CURRENT roster and say, heck we are set at that position we do not need to take the best rated player possible.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
  #125
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firel28 View Post
To Edmonton: 4th,34th,prospect

To Islanders: 1st,63rd

Too much,too little,not worth it?
That seems extremely fair. Depends on the prospect, If they want a D prospect, that would be tough to give one up since we have more Forward prospects.

scott99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.